whats this all about ?

In this information age and I don't even have a mobile phone there are numerous outlets that will give you the real value or availability of almost all sounds, particularly virtual unknowns - Popsike / ebay / discogs all have long standing info useful to all - You just need to be relentless particularly with discogs as it's buy it now and then gone but I've lost count of the number of times I've found a sound completely out of it's real or imagined price category and snagged a complete bargain and that's without the mis-spelling bargains.

Discogs is also notorious for sellers appearing to be chancers with ridiculous price listings and that includes many British sellers of long standing ( they know who they are ) - ebay and Carolina soul and a few others always seem to induce a kind of bidding frenzy, often for virtually unplayable condition 45's

I have no sympathy with people who overpay or have no knowledge or gumption to acquire 45's at all cost's, it's their perogative when all said and done and I suppose a lot of us do get a bit 'hot under the collar' at others actions.

As for the Scientist's of soul - Be's that way - it was a soul pack sound 50 yrs ago and remains so - never been a sound so to speak and never will be unlike the Father's Angels MGM issue that I sold to a guy decades ago who came up to me at Greenfields Loughborough 3 weeks ago to tell me he'd bought it from me and it was still a highlight of his record collecting journey - a real memory jogger ( I'd always remembered it as a sale to JM in 1984 - turns out my memory had failed me on this occassion ) 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Vadnochka said:

In this information age and I don't even have a mobile phone there are numerous outlets that will give you the real value or availability of almost all sounds, particularly virtual unknowns - Popsike / ebay / discogs all have long standing info useful to all - You just need to be relentless particularly with discogs as it's buy it now and then gone but I've lost count of the number of times I've found a sound completely out of it's real or imagined price category and snagged a complete bargain and that's without the mis-spelling bargains.

Discogs is also notorious for sellers appearing to be chancers with ridiculous price listings and that includes many British sellers of long standing ( they know who they are ) - ebay and Carolina soul and a few others always seem to induce a kind of bidding frenzy, often for virtually unplayable condition 45's

I have no sympathy with people who overpay or have no knowledge or gumption to acquire 45's at all cost's, it's their perogative when all said and done and I suppose a lot of us do get a bit 'hot under the collar' at others actions.

As for the Scientist's of soul - Be's that way - it was a soul pack sound 50 yrs ago and remains so - never been a sound so to speak and never will be unlike the Father's Angels MGM issue that I sold to a guy decades ago who came up to me at Greenfields Loughborough 3 weeks ago to tell me he'd bought it from me and it was still a highlight of his record collecting journey - a real memory jogger ( I'd always remembered it as a sale to JM in 1984 - turns out my memory had failed me on this occassion ) 

It's a little harsh to say you have "no sympathy for sellers who overpay and have no knowledge or gumption" as that implies that we were always wise when young and wet behind the ears.

Our job is not to criticise, but hopefully to educate and add knowledge to the great and young pretenders so they don't get ripped.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I like the record and have always kept it. I must have owned it for over 40 years! 😱 Personally I would think about £30 to £40 for a good copy.

Auctions do cause silly prices sometimes. But also some people can't be bothered shopping around!  If they want it they just keep bidding and it turns into a competition to win!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

I like the record and have always kept it. I must have owned it for over 40 years! 😱 Personally I would think about £30 to £40 for a good copy.

Auctions do cause silly prices sometimes. But also some people can't be bothered shopping around!  If they want it they just keep bidding and it turns into a competition to win!

Me too and I always loved it, Carolina Soul has been so long on Ebay.

If you go to a normal auction and some websites they normally have an estimate so at least it gives a ball park, shame these auction sites don't do the same and then if people do pay over the odds then it is at least clear.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Superbly constructed uplifting vocal-group dancer. In recent times this 45 has done a disappearing act! Two most soulful sides! Killer harmony group Northern Soul with a sublime ballad flipside! Written and produced by Lee Wells arranged by Joe Scott A Side Title: Be's That Way Sometimes Produced By: Lee Wells Arranged By: Joe Scott Written By: Lee Ridgeway & Lee Wells B Side Title: Baby Baby I Love You    as per jm's description

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, givemesoul said:

Superbly constructed uplifting vocal-group dancer. In recent times this 45 has done a disappearing act! Two most soulful sides! Killer harmony group Northern Soul with a sublime ballad flipside! Written and produced by Lee Wells arranged by Joe Scott A Side Title: Be's That Way Sometimes Produced By: Lee Wells Arranged By: Joe Scott Written By: Lee Ridgeway & Lee Wells B Side Title: Baby Baby I Love You    as per jm's description

That's interesting as the label has a D. Ridgeway and JM's description says "lee"

I wonder if this Gentleman might be one of our men

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!