Expensive bootlegs - Is this the future ?

I really don't need to say anything , this item speaks for itself selling for selling for £273.99

If I had know it was for sale I would have bid £274 to win this slice of bootleg magic 😀

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-NORTHERN-SOUL-REISSUE-PRESSING-THE-SALVADORS-STICK-BY-ME-BABY-NR-EX-/265701728428?nma=true&si=9t9aE5PZxvor%2FoxErtiCp2fu9eo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&fbclid=IwAR1n4GrYGYQrEGLsL-hJuGOxujvgFw7-09u1jVkkAfeqnFxes9QhumlMsfE

The seller from Blackpool as well ? I could have fetched it to save on postage costs

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I suppose some people are collecting bootlegs now.   

Soul-Sounds, OOTP, Colin Bee's top twenty boots from 1977, etc.

They are quite nostalgic.   When I see those 70's pressings/boots, it takes me back to my youth!

Some are good recordings, but a lot of them are poor sound compared to the original records.  I would imagine they were recorded directly off the original vinyl record. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

If it is the one that looks very much like the original then this sale price isn't the first time, it has sold for more.  I sold one a few years ago for 200.  Plenty look what is playing on the deck but how many take a closer look?

don't quite get this? and may have misunderstood, but are you saying you sell carvers?

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Kenb said:

don't quite get this? and may have misunderstood, but are you saying you sell carvers?

I think Karl sold one of these 60's bootlegs for £200 a few years ago and was saying that carvers can be made "today" for £30

People think that some bootlegs are OK, personally I think they don't even qualify for recycling, but my opinion often does not count and others are entitled to there thinking, of course.

I may ask Blackpool Pleasure Beach if they can create a new target shoot with bootlegs disguised as ducks, first prize an original copy

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

here she is

s-l1600.jpg

You can buy those "reissues" on a dealer site for 20-30 quid along with a host of other looky-likey boots, so it puzzles me why someone should pay any more than that, assume buying boots is OK with the person purchasing. For me this bootlegging is the darker side of the scene, but while ever people are willing to buy, then there will be those who are willing to supply sadly.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

No I said I sold a boot of Salvador's, the one that looks very similar to the original, colour text etc for 200 quid.  I think this is the blue on e though so not the same.  Neither do I recall anyone mentioning carvers?  We are talking bootlegs, 70s specifically, or was when I replied.

My post about getting one made for £30 was I in reply to Stephen who for some silly reason paid £100 for an acetate bootleg and I simply asked why when you can get one made for less than half that price.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Bootlegs are not just confined to Northern Soul with some artist boots fetching far more than any NS bootleg.  There is a massive market for anything that isn't original, from clothes to records to football match tickets as we have seen this weekend.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I think Karl sold one of these 60's bootlegs for £200 a few years ago and was saying that carvers can be made "today" for £30

People think that some bootlegs are OK, personally I think they don't even qualify for recycling, but my opinion often does not count and others are entitled to there thinking, of course.

I may ask Blackpool Pleasure Beach if they can create a new target shoot with bootlegs disguised as ducks, first prize an original copy

For some reason the local fair that visited Hazel Grove had booths with lots of Verve 45s stuck up as decoration I guess ? Around 68/69.

I'm with you on the boots. Worthless but I can understand a boot back in 70's being 85p or so and now £5 due to inflation ?

Social source share

43 minutes ago, Chalky said:

No I said I sold a boot of Salvador's, the one that looks very similar to the original, colour text etc for 200 quid.  I think this is the blue on e though so not the same.  Neither do I recall anyone mentioning carvers?  We are talking bootlegs, 70s specifically, or was when I replied.

My post about getting one made for £30 was I in reply to Stephen who for some silly reason paid £100 for an acetate bootleg and I simply asked why when you can get one made for less than half that price.

I'm not up on the terminolgy...but i think you are saying you sold or sell bootlegs. If so that surprises me.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It along with a few others came in an acquired collection, what should I do bin it?  Some others I have were acquired when I knew no better many many years ago.  Advertised clearly at the time as not an original with a low start price.  There is still a small pile upstairs to sell.

Did you tell Dean, he would have a dicky fit 😇 I think they are Crazy Baby. By that I mean they make good coasters. 😀

Social source share

17 hours ago, Chalky said:

They are historic for want of a better word boots.  I do not buy boots from bootleggers to sell on.  It along with a few others came in an acquired collection, what should I do bin it?  Some others I have were acquired when I knew no better many many years ago.  Advertised clearly at the time as not an original with a low start price.  There is still a small pile upstairs to sell.

there was a mad rush on here to condemn John Manship for what was his non-deliberate 'school boy error' concerning a boot on his site. Then it seems people on here are condoning (or at the very least have a laissez faire attitude) to the sale of boot's. I think that is disengenous. What you do with with yours is entirely up to you. 

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

there was a mad rush on here to condemn John Manship for what was his non-deliberate 'school boy error' concerning a boot on his site. Then it seems people on here are condoning (or at the very least have a laissez faire attitude) to the sale of boot's. I think that is disengenous. What you do with with yours is entirely up to you. 

Oh come on, there's a big difference between a big Money auction item, thought not to exist, and someone flogging a Salvidor's boot, as just that. I didn't and I'm not having a go at John who made a genuine mistake. We should all know by now, why boots are a considered a bit off.  it just gets a bit childish when members on here try to score points on issues like this .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

How can you compare a listing error to the selling of (historic) 40/50 year old bootlegs? Non one condemned John for selling a boot at all, they simply discussed the fact it was wrongly listed, one or two went to dar and I did defend John in that respect.

If I'd sold it as original then rightly have a go at me but I didn't, it was sold as a non-original item, the person who bought it knew 100% what he was buying and was happy.  I don't agree with bootlegging, I do not go out of my way to buy them but I'd be f*cked if I'm gonna put them in the bin to keep you happy.  Selling a historic boot/counterfeit is a million miles away from the counterfeiting and carver to order production line you see on eBay today.  

i don't see a difference, and nobody has to keep me happy. everyone has an opinion and a choice.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Irrespective of the price this ebay boot sold for, I think the simple disscusion and attemp to justify selling one for a similar or crazy price just helps bootlegers justify their greed to carry on making these turds. Imo starting these threads adds fuel to a blaze that is well and truly out of control. Just because it was a well known boot from 45 years ago does not make any of them less offensive. Make no mistake there are parasites booting something as we speak. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Still Diggin said:

Irrespective of the price this ebay boot sold for, I think the simple disscusion and attemp to justify selling one for a similar or crazy price just helps bootlegers justify their greed to carry on making these turds. Imo starting these threads adds fuel to a blaze that is well and truly out of control. Just because it was a well known boot from 45 years ago does not make any of them less offensive. Make no mistake there are parasites booting something as we speak. 

If I have ended up causing more bootlegs to appear then shame on me as I want you to know I despise them.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

18 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

If I have ended up causing more bootlegs to appear then shame on me as I want you to know I despise them.

Yet you have a boot leg CD or are they ok?  Take the others have had nothing to do with any boots as well?

Social source share

20 hours ago, Still Diggin said:

I agree with you but counterfeits and bootlegs are not confined to the soul scene, they are everyday life, from clothes to cigarettes to alcohol to music and film. 

Stopping all discussion of boots will not stop the bootleggers, they have been a part of the scene since its infancy and will be part long after us.

I don’t know how many owners the boot I sold had had but me not selling it will not stop bootleggers either.  Their aim had already been achieved by whoever bought it first 40 years or whatever ago. 

Have you never owned a boot?

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Yet you have a boot leg CD or are they ok?  Take the others have had nothing to do with any boots as well?

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I agree with you but counterfeits and bootlegs are not confined to the soul scene, they are everyday life, from clothes to cigarettes to alcohol to music and film. 

Stopping all discussion of boots will not stop the bootleggers, they have been a part of the scene since its infancy and will be part long after us.

I don’t know how many owners the boot I sold had had but me not selling it will not stop bootleggers either.  Their aim had already been achieved by whoever bought it first 40 years or whatever ago. 

What bootleg CD ?

Every boot I have owned was sold to me when I was a nipper and with no knowledge or brains

I imagine taking about other stuff on here other than soul will end up with me looking an idiot so I won't comment on my wife's cheap tacky designer inspired handbags. 😀

I was apologising in case I made more of them to appear "for sale" by raising this thread, but I will never apologise for the scum that made them or sell them, they should go to the opposite of "Soul Heaven"

The more discussion the better but what's needed is enough people to call them out whenever possible and they seem to sadly be in short supply, here's hoping

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

What bootleg CD ?

Every boot I have owned was sold to me when I was a nipper and with no knowledge or brains

I imagine taking about other stuff on here other than soul will end up with me looking an idiot so I won't comment on my wife's cheap tacky designer inspired handbags. 😀

I was apologising in case I made more of them to appear "for sale" by raising this thread, but I will never apologise for the scum that made them or sell them, they should go to the opposite of "Soul Heaven"

The more discussion the better but what's needed is enough people to call them out whenever possible and they seem to sadly be in short supply, here's hoping

Ric Tic cd Which are a blantant boot and look it

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

23 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

What bootleg CD ?

Edited by Steviehay
Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

Yes, I have owned a boot, but to ashamed to pass them on . They will remain in the loft as a momento of my ignorance. Selling them old or new just keeps the thing alive. but I agree in that just a few like me taking a hard line is not going to change anything, but it does make me feel a little better. Bit like a whole heap of other things we do to try and make the world a better place. However I do think banging on about recent bootlegs and what they fetch does prick the ears of those who think, now which one could I do next?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

Yes, I have owned a boot, but to ashamed to pass them on . They will remain in the loft as a momento of my ignorance. Selling them old or new just keeps the thing alive. but I agree in that just a few like me taking a hard line is not going to change anything, but it does make me feel a little better. Bit like a whole heap of other things we do to try and make the world a better place. However I do think banging on about recent bootlegs and what they fetch does prick the ears of those who think, now which one could I do next?

I don’t think bootleggers ears need pricking tbh, they know the score  and what people want.  I was simply giving some context to the opening post in that such a high price is nothing new. Others made a bigger issue out of it. 

Social source share

On 31/05/2022 at 16:55, Kenb said:

i don't see a difference, and nobody has to keep me happy. everyone has an opinion and a choice.

If I know I bought a bootleg, what is actually wrong in selling it as a bootleg.  I wouldnt be attempting to con anyone just sell it at the going rate.  I fully understand OVO in terms of playing put, but does what people do at home matter?  Just curious.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 03/06/2022 at 17:44, Godzilla said:

It doesn't matter.

If you're bootlegging/counterfeiting then you are depriving the rights owner of revenue. If you sell a boot second hand it's not really different to selling an original second hand. The rights owner makes zilch in either case.

In terms of what encourages bootleggers, I'd suggest that it's people buying them new from source, rather than paying large amounts for historical boots. 

forgive me...but the phrase "selling a boot second hand" seems wierd!. Passing a boot on maybe fits better don't you think?

Social source share

It's not for me but I can see why people have started collecting them.

For many people who weren't around at the time but have got into the music in more recent times, there's undoubtedly a mystique / romanticism about the Torch / Mecca / Wigan, etc era. So I can understand why those people maybe covet them as artefacts of that time (particularly when originals are unaffordable) Also, we all remember when they were plentiful and cheap and more or less despised. Things like that often end up being collectable when they dry up and become scarce...

As I say not for me (although there's a pretty good Mel Britt one I had and which someone trod on and broke at a party. Never going to own an original. So might cough up to replace that one day..!🤔)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!