Vinyl Or Cd

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

ok what is everyone's favourite format. i have to say this but i love vinyl and it's nice to have to play out if your doing a spot and of course for collectors reasons but if you could collect and not play. Would be great to store on cd as i love cd's when you can play them out while your online and doing something.

Also it's not simple to play vinyl records while online if you have no player with headphones as you would need to play with a record player got a small one you just plug in but at 2.00am you can't be playing vinyl while people are sleeping

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How come C90 tapes never get a look in on this age old debate. :lol:

Nowt better....

Tw*t to cue tracks up when DJing though

Never jump or stick either...though they can get caught up and jam player.

B*stard things ...just remembered why I hate 'em. :shhh:

Time for bed............. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Guest soul_hull

personally i think cassettes have a proud place in the history of NS, and much overlooked. Who didn't have, before c1990 and the advent of cds, a fooking huge collection of cassettes full of soul that you spent half yer life trying to find out what the tracks were called? Or travelling to a do, with the CASSETTE on full blast (usually tinny as fook but you didn't care).

i would put cassettes above CDs, historically speaking at least, as they've been around since time.

post-5314-1171509495_thumb.jpg

Social source share

personally i think cassettes have a proud place in the history of NS, and much overlooked. Who didn't have, before c1990 and the advent of cds, a fooking huge collection of cassettes full of soul that you spent half yer life trying to find out what the tracks were called? Or travelling to a do, with the CASSETTE on full blast (usually tinny as fook but you didn't care).

i would put cassettes above CDs, historically speaking at least, as they've been around since time.

Ahh memories....The tears and tantrums caused by the tape machine devouring a much loved tape. The sheer horror of pulling out the cassette and watching as it unravelled before your eyes. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ahh memories....The tears and tantrums caused by the tape machine devouring a much loved tape. The sheer horror of pulling out the cassette and watching as it unravelled before your eyes. ohmy.gif

...or the memories of Ted giving me a tape thinking it was sales tape, when it actually had all your latest wants on it.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i should have said i still use tapes, i have no ipod or mp3 did have a mini disk but not the same as i use a personal tape player with radio it has louder sound so you can hear Northern soul recorded onto a tape while i am on bus and it's always full blast i think the whole bus passangers must hear it lol and wonder what shit does he listen to

Social source share

8 track for me ... why do venues never have 8 track players

a few years ago the bisley boys put on an allnighter with martha reeves as the top attraction

she arrived late..like stars often do....

rumour has it that all her backing tracks and stuff were on 8 track and the owners of the venue had to hunt down a machine to play them

after much panic said machine was found and the evening carried on..the djs worked hard that night i can tell you

the only thing that got me that night was when i asked martha to sing no one there and she said she didnt know it :lol:

great nite though

Social source share

8 track for me ... why do venues never have 8 track players

Not enough room on the decks for them I am afraid ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1171697175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Cds for me, as i am tired of poor performing djs , give me a dj that can actually do the job, with a bunch of cds or ipod, that can entertain me, anytime !!

going to sit back and wait for the flack coming my way now !!

ok, got on my protective clothing and helmet, go for it !

Social source share

Ahh memories....The tears and tantrums caused by the tape machine devouring a much loved tape. The sheer horror of pulling out the cassette and watching as it unravelled before your eyes. :P

Or wanting to drown younger brtothers who used preciously recorded niter tapes for bloody Transformers and told by parents it didnt matter till one destroyed something of value of theirs wicked.gif Delxx

Social source share

I got myself an Ipod and have never looked back, holds 5000 tracks and im rapidly filling it up, it goes everywhere with me. got myself a luverly Bose docking bay for it that sounds awsome and charges it at the same time.

Any mp3 tracks are welcome so please feel free to send them all to me.

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Cds for me, as i am tired of poor performing djs , give me a dj that can actually do the job, with a bunch of cds or ipod, that can entertain me, anytime !!

Interesting thread this...

I find it best to acknowledge the technology and then take out of it what suites me best. 75% of what I play is vinyl and I carry cd's for the convenience of storage space. When DJ'ing abroad, especially with new regulations regarding luggage etc, cd's are a godsend. Also, to me they are / will be the promotional tool of the future as most promos are sent to me via MP3 files to burn onto cd and play out. I 'm afraid I do not use tapes anymore. I remember my Kiss Fm and BBC Radio London days, where we're n't allowed to play tapes on air as the quality was not good enough. Mini disc and DAT tapes were ok , but cassettes , no way.

The bottom line is do what feels comfortable to you, it's to each his own at the end of the day.

Regards

Dr Bob Jones rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I got myself an Ipod and have never looked back, holds 5000 tracks and im rapidly filling it up, it goes everywhere with me. got myself a luverly Bose docking bay for it that sounds awsome and charges it at the same time.

Any mp3 tracks are welcome so please feel free to send them all to me.

Bearsy

Have played many sounds through our ipod at our event, best of it is, NO-ONE noticed, or suspected what we did, just slip in the odd one or two , whilst using vinyl and cds, sounds great, and the customers are happy as we never have to say 'haven't got that one mate, sorry ', wink.gif

Social source share

Ahh... bless ya! You need to do a whole Prestatyn or Cleggy weekender!

Having said that, I couldn't' give a shit about medium :thumbsup:

For me, the vessel of music is the least important, the hearing of that music is the most important. To be able to quickly source and play what takes my fancy takes precedence over how it's played so obviously, in this day and age, my computer plays a massive part. Yes I have records, yes my husband bought me a fantastic deck for crimble this year but I've only got out my records once since I received that gift. Partly because I felt I had to.. in fact, mostly because I felt I had to. It's a lovely bit of kit and I'm not disrespectful for receiving such a lovely gift but if I can choose, queue and play all at once my fave tunes via my PC I will.

Then there is the argument about a soul night. Personally I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a record v a CD. All I hear is the song. It fills my head that makes it's way through my body to my feet that move regardless.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well i can tell a vinyl from a cd if it crackles a bit as some vinyl would be a little worn, but love vinyl a lot for playing at venues etc. just said i prefer cd's when at home when you can play while on computer

Social source share

Have personally gone from total 'MUST be an original 45' 60s-soul fascist in my youth to 'who cares as long as the sounds are all right' knackered old geezer. Still have two minor problems with DJs using Cds or Ipoddery though:

1. I remain scornful of DJs lapping up praise for playing tunes that they've got from a download or off some CD they paid £5 for in HMV or wherever. People who've gone to the time, trouble and money of tracking down and playing a rare 45 deserve respect!

2. And...paying (often quite a lot of) entry money to a night that features an excess of Cds and/or poddin' kinda rankles

But on the whole the sound is still what counts!

Social source share

Ahh... bless ya! You need to do a whole Prestatyn or Cleggy weekender!

Having said that, I couldn't' give a shit about medium :lol:

For me, the vessel of music is the least important, the hearing of that music is the most important. To be able to quickly source and play what takes my fancy takes precedence over how it's played so obviously, in this day and age, my computer plays a massive part. Yes I have records, yes my husband bought me a fantastic deck for crimble this year but I've only got out my records once since I received that gift. Partly because I felt I had to.. in fact, mostly because I felt I had to. It's a lovely bit of kit and I'm not disrespectful for receiving such a lovely gift but if I can choose, queue and play all at once my fave tunes via my PC I will.

Then there is the argument about a soul night. Personally I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a record v a CD. All I hear is the song. It fills my head that makes it's way through my body to my feet that move regardless.

I agree,I can understand the arguments put forward by all sides on this one,but to me, the tune is the most important thing ,not the medium,more so these days as many previously unreleased tracks are put out on cd,should we not be able to hear these tracks out,just because they were not released on vinyl,( I think not) but what do I know..im just a simple punter :thumbsup:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

The bottom line is do what feels comfortable to you, it's to each his own at the end of the day.

Regards Dr Bob Jones :thumbsup:

Well said...I was interested to read all the comments about 8 Tracks-I have an 8-Track Player, for a car, from the 70s; anyone want to buy it?

Re cassette tapes, 'waddabout when they stretched; some really psychedelic effects, then!!!!

I have DJ'd. playing Vinyl and CD, together; best to remember, when switching mediums............

..........................to switch channels!!! :):lol:

Social source share

In the early days the only format available was the vinyl, so hours, days ,months etc were spent tracking down the records to bring them to the dancers, and i for one appreciate all of the effort back then, without the djs and record collectors where would we be? but that was 30/40 years ago, times have changed, its only important now to the collectors and vinyl addicts, your average punter dosen't care, i don't really mind anymore either . I have to say that a lot of record collectors that dj, don't always do a good job, they mumble over the mike, can't put 2 records together etc etc, ( not all, but quite a few )

I like to hear someone that can actually dj,its a minority opinion i know.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I love and am partial to my vinyl...the artwork is truly amazing to look at. CDs I mostly buy...but since I don't have the "muscle" to handle crates, I go totally digital. cool.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've still GOT them all! :wicked::ohmy:

Social source share

ok what is everyone's favourite format. i have to say this but i love vinyl and it's nice to have to play out if your doing a spot and of course for collectors reasons but if you could collect and not play. Would be great to store on cd as i love cd's when you can play them out while your online and doing something.

Also it's not simple to play vinyl records while online if you have no player with headphones as you would need to play with a record player got a small one you just plug in but at 2.00am you can't be playing vinyl while people are sleeping

I love mini disc. As soon as I buy a record, I put it straight onto mini disc. Play the vinyl out, and play the mini discs at home. The process of recording vinyl onto mini disc also "cleans up" some of the background noise associated with vinyl. And you can do anything with mini disc, move tracks about, delete tracks, add tracks. As good as cd but a fraction of the size, and more or less bomb proof. Should have been far more popular than it has been. Brilliant!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert