Tom Jones And Northern Soul Lp

Little-stevie

Found a Tom Jones album at a junk shop for 50p..Its called Help yourself..and its on a rare looking label called Parrot.. PAS 71025...

Is htis the album thats got a northern track on it???? i aint got a record player here to listen..If so then whats the track and can you tell me what the album is worth and any other info..Vinyl looks in excellent condition and nice sleeve too..

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest uroffal

Found a Tom Jones album at a junk shop for 50p..Its called Help yourself..and its on a rare looking label called Parrot.. PAS 71025...

Is htis the album thats got a northern track on it???? i aint got a record player here to listen..If so then whats the track and can you tell me what the album is worth and any other info..Vinyl looks in excellent condition and nice sleeve too..

Think all of these have been played at some stage or another and were all issued on Parrot in the US as singles so some -or all - could be on your album (the singles ain't rare, but no idea about the album):

The Lonely One

Stop Breaking My Heart

Key To My Heart

There's a version of Ben E. King's - Can't Break The News too, but don't think was issued on Parrot

Probably a few others too!

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

The track that was played was "Stop breaking my heart" which came out in the US as the b side to "I who have nothing" Parrot was part of London records for his releases in the US. Came out on Decca in the UK

Social source share

help yourself contains tom jones version of "i cant break the news to myself"..

my copy is on uk decca..

bless

jc

tom paddison

the messiah of northern soul

Thanks for feedback..Gonna give it a play when i get back home to my record deck..I know the Decca Uk are pretty common but this Parrot original could be pretty sort after,we shall see..Not easy to find details really..

Social source share

help yourself contains tom jones version of "i cant break the news to myself"..

my copy is on uk decca..

bless

jc

tom paddison

the messiah of northern soul

it also has a version of jerry fuller "i get carried away" on that album.

i can't break the news got played out at togetherness a few years ago, it still packed the floor !

i think i have a spare decca album for 15

also his version of venus has been played on the mod scene for some time , and "day by day" and " looking out my window "

toms alright with me

Social source share

Must be one of the easiest T Jones albums to get,used to buy it everytime i seen it but have about 10copys red ones blue ones i leave em`now,got a few parrot LPs but not this.

And i use my Sth African copy

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hi Ken

I only recently bought these off ebay for a few Dollars.

Quite easy to find really. shades.gif

I know they would be cheap,and i like parrot got loads of things but dont do ebay......so dont get many parrot 45s at my car boot.

Social source share

Great voice Tom :shhh: Someone should ask him to come & sing his Northern songs at one of these weekenders if he is in the country, i saw an interview where he said he just loves singing & his favourite gigs are free ones that he does in pubs, especialy jamming to old R&B stuff !

'The Lonely One' is my favourite, even over 'I Can't Break the News', brilliant 100mph tune :thumbsup:

Social source share

isnt there a rumour that berry gordy wanted to sign tom in the early days, also another rumour that toms done a version of dr love, the first rumour ive no idea however the dr love tom did is a different one, he also did a great version of you keep me hanging on

Makes you wonder if there could be some stuff in the vaults somewhere :thumbsup:

I reckon he could do justice to anything ,he's just got that sort of voice.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

SBMH on Parrot came out in a picture sleeve

Info on his LP releases is on it.

Has anybody noticed that Tom, (in the last pic there,) is a dead ringer for Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Intresting topic, not got the record unless it's in a box mixed with other stuff but i have the track stop breaking my heart on cd of Decca songs which had been issued as Northern soul some intresting stuff on it

Social source share

Intresting topic, not got the record unless it's in a box mixed with other stuff but i have the track stop breaking my heart on cd of Decca songs which had been issued as Northern soul some intresting stuff on it

Have you heard 'The Lonely One' Paul ? 10 times better :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Lonely One - tom jones - decca uk

14769 refosoul

This is indeed ONE HELL of a tune. An absolute pounder. Can't stand "Stop Breaking My Heart" personally. His version of "Chills And Fever" (his first Decca 45 if I remember correctly) is superb as well. So is "Looking Out My Window".

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest uroffal

The Lonely One - tom jones - decca uk

14769 refosoul

This is indeed ONE HELL of a tune. An absolute pounder. Can't stand "Stop Breaking My Heart" personally. His version of "Chills And Fever" (his first Decca 45 if I remember correctly) is superb as well. So is "Looking Out My Window".

Got one of these on UK Decca if anyone's intersted in buying (make me an offer)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

looking out my window is a cracker too ....

i have a jap import album of his mainly packed with soul stuff , haven't listened for a while

Social source share

Makes you wonder if there could be some stuff in the vaults somewhere :rolleyes:

I reckon he could do justice to anything ,he's just got that sort of voice.

I agree, Tom did cover many Soul Tunes, and also had many Soul Artists on his Shows.

Along with Dusty Springfield he certainly did his bit for our music. 60's & 70's.

I remember him singing with Wilson Pickett and many others.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

isnt there a rumour that berry gordy wanted to sign tom in the early days, also another rumour that toms done a version of dr love, the first rumour ive no idea however the dr love tom did is a different one, he also did a great version of you keep me hanging on

Holland Dozier Holland wrote Reach Out (I'll Be There) for the impending signing of Tom Jones to Motown (I read that somewhere, but don't ask me where).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert