Johnny Mae Matthews

How did this precocious female pass by the hit-parade mill of the 60's? Every time I listen to her tracks I think, f*** me, what an awesome vocal! How could something so fantastic be so overlooked?

Is she still alive?

What's your favourite track?

I'm definately small-tracked as I only have Two Sided Thing, I have No Choice, Itty Bitty Heart... any others?

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How did this precocious female pass by the hit-parade mill of the 60's? Every time I listen to her tracks I think, f*** me, what an awesome vocal! How could something so fantastic be so overlooked?

Is she still alive?

What's your favourite track?

I'm definately small-tracked as I only have Two Sided Thing, I have No Choice, Itty Bitty Heart... any others?

I own a copy of "LONELY YOU`LL BE" on JAM. Very nice spin IMO

For anyone who doesn`t know this..I`ll upload it up on SS. Watch this space..

JohnnieMaeMatthews_JAM_LonelyYoullBe.mp3

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

I own a copy of "LONELY YOU`LL BE" on JAM. Very nice spin IMO

For anyone who doesn`t know this..I`ll upload it up on SS. Watch this space..

All respect, I'm not overly excited by that smile.gif

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Soulgirl

dont know if you are on the soulful detroit forum or not but there was a great and in-depth feature on johnny mae plus all her songs labels etc etc should still be on there.

mel

Social source share

Soulgirl

dont know if you are on the soulful detroit forum or not but there was a great and in-depth feature on johnny mae plus all her songs labels etc etc should still be on there.

mel

No, I'm not.... enlighten me smile.gif

Simsy, don't dangle the carrot without giving me the tunes :ohmy:

Mel's right Karen the whole story (with sounds) on Soulful Detroit ..

>Soulful Detroit - The Johnnie Mae Matthews Story<

Social source share

Karen,

Go to www.soulfuldetroit.com and click on Johnnie Mae Mathews you'll find Graham Finch's great story of the life of the great lady. If you've only just discovered JMM you 're in for a real treat. She was singer /songwriter/producer /entrepreneur and among her claims to fa me are that she managed/produced the first records on the Temptations early line up as well as Edward Hamilton. Graham's piece is the dogs danglies. Think you 'll enjoy it .

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

The obvious & well known one for me 'Here Comes My Baby' , one of my favourite tunes whatever artist thumbsup.gif

Good luck for Saturday Karen, hope everything goes well & it's a good un !! :ohmy:

Social source share

Karen,

Go to www.soulfuldetroit.com and click on Johnnie Mae Mathews you'll find Graham Finch's great story of the life of the great lady. If you've only just discovered JMM you 're in for a real treat. She was singer /songwriter/producer /entrepreneur and among her claims to fa me are that she managed/produced the first records on the Temptations early line up as well as Edward Hamilton. Graham's piece is the dogs danglies. Think you 'll enjoy it .

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

I knew what she was.. hard cow.. but excited to learn what else she chucked out there smile.gif

Social source share

The obvious & well known one for me 'Here Comes My Baby' , one of my favourite tunes whatever artist thumbsup.gif

Good luck for Saturday Karen, hope everything goes well & it's a good un !! :ohmy:

You not coming then? What's your excuse? Don't tell me it's South of Watford LOL

Social source share

You not coming then? What's your excuse? Don't tell me it's South of Watford LOL

No it's south of 'Ourgate' biggrin.gif

Have a good one anyhow, & remember to be on your best behaviour !! You are a promotor now so no time for dancing & you better practice your knife throwing skills ready for other promotors backs !! :ohmy:

Social source share

Karen,

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Thank you for the link Dave.. I'll check it out smile.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Love Hides All Faults is a cracker.

Maybe her vocals were a bit too gritty for the mainstream?

I have no choice, is my fave, but for sheer quality at a 'working mans price'. There can be few rivals to 'Love hides all faults'. Quality.

Social source share

Nooooo...."Lonely you'll be" is a cracker - sure i saw you on the floor to it when I played it at Exeter!

I probably did :shhh: Volume does make a big difference to me in the 'hearing' of a song that's for sure :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert