Ebay vat charges

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting and - at the same time - alarming story about VAT/customs charges on items bought online from the UK and sent to the Netherlands. Not of much interest to most of you, perhaps, but it's worth noting this comment from the Dutch postal service (PostNL), which states that:

For gifts [sent from abroad to the Netherlands, ie, an EU member state]: ‘you do not have to pay VAT for gifts with a value of up to €45. Please note: this only applies if the parcel is from a private sender.’

eBay, I suspect - and based on the surcharges I've had to stump up when buying from the UK - is charging VAT with no distinction about whether the seller is private or business, and makes it about impossible for individuals to dispute erroneous charges. 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/04/parcels-from-britain-you-will-have-to-pay-unless-it-is-a-small-gift/

Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Interesting and - at the same time - alarming story about VAT/customs charges on items bought online from the UK and sent to the Netherlands. Not of much interest to most of you, perhaps, but it's worth noting this comment from the Dutch postal service (PostNL), which states that:

eBay, I suspect - and based on the surcharges I've had to stump up when buying from the UK - is charging VAT with no distinction about whether the seller is private or business, and makes it about impossible for individuals to dispute erroneous charges. 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/04/parcels-from-britain-you-will-have-to-pay-unless-it-is-a-small-gift/

By definition if you are buying something from eBay it is not a gift. So whether the sender is a private individual or a business is irrelevant.

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Steve G said:

By definition if you are buying something from eBay it is not a gift. So whether the sender is a private individual or a business is irrelevant.

Gift?

The taxation aspect seems to depend on the status of the seller. Private = no VAT. Business = plus VAT. Or am I misunderstanding what the article says?

Social source share

37 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Gift?

The taxation aspect seems to depend on the status of the seller. Private = no VAT. Business = plus VAT. Or am I misunderstanding what the article says?

For gifts [sent from abroad to the Netherlands, ie, an EU member state]: ‘you do not have to pay VAT for gifts with a value of up to €45. Please note: this only applies if the parcel is from a private sender.’

Gifts is the 2nd word. The exemption applies to certain gifts if under E45 and is from a private sender. There are no gifts on eBay, it is a buying and selling marketplace much as we may like there to be. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Gifts is the 2nd word. The exemption applies to certain gifts if under E45 and is from a private sender. There are no gifts on eBay, it is a buying and selling marketplace much as we may like there to be. 

Ah, yes. I’m with you now. But wasn’t it the case - and perhaps I’m looking too far back - that there was a clear distinction between commercial enterprises selling on platforms such as eBay and ‘private sellers’? In the case of the former, VAT had to be paid, but individuals did not. Jeez, likely that distinction is well and truly history and yet I still thought it pertinent. Upgrade 2022.4 required…

Social source share

• 3 months later...

This'll make you smile. I was bidding on Bay earlier in the year, UK seller. I noticed that VAT was added to my bid.

Evil Bay showed me as being in the US, I live in West Yorkshire!

I messaged the seller, who confirmed that he was UK based (Newport, Isle of Wight) and was a regular seller, never had any VAT issues. 

We agreed to cancel my bid and re bid via my wife's Evil Bay account. Won the record, no mention of VAT.

Took this up with an idiot at EB who told me that the Channel Islands were not classed as UK, hence VAT was payable. I told him that Newport, Isle of Wight, although not connected to the British mainland, was a part of the UK and defo not one of the Channel Islands, he wasn't having it, so I swore at him and hung up.

You really couldn't make it up!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 23/04/2022 at 16:25, Amsterdam Russ said:

Trying to get a reply from Ebay let alone speak to someone is a no go.

I've offed the twats now.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Thank Brexit for this. They tighted all the rules after Brexit so buying from anywhere now and shipping to the UK is a nightmare. I didn't know About about the difference though buying from private sellers and buisness sellers. I often buy stuff from Carolina soul and always get changed vat for about a year now, though strangely I bought a record of another seller for 300$ (don't know if a business or not but he has lots for sale), I was in Italy on holiday at the time and i never got charged VAT (I wonder if that was because I was in the EU rather than buying from the UK), had it shipped to the UK. I kind of expected that customs would charge me a fee when delivering but never got charged anything. 

Edited by Jonko
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Jonko said:

...I kind of expected that customs would charge me a fee when delivering but never got charged anything. 

Don't over estimate the constancy of any administrations 🎭 On some cheaper declared items I had to pay more import VAT than on others higher valued ones and sometimes the parcel went through the Customs without any charges... 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

But if you direct it to a USA contact, it could conceivably be a gift! eBay have done their utmost to limit this practice. 

The point is that the gift has to be from the sender. The fact that you are buying it to give to someone else as a gift is neither here nor there as far as the authorities are concerned. Sorry, but that it is the way it is. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!