Silhouettes - Not Me Baby

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

The one sold last night didn't have James Bounty on the flip, it had what is on the original.  The only 70s boot I was aware of was the White demo one.

Somebody got a bargain then at £205 16 bids

"THE SILHOUETTES, NOT ME BABY, NORTHERN SOUL. VG++, lovely play, rare 70's reissue."

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

The one sold last night didn't have James Bounty on the flip, it had what is on the original.  The only 70s boot I was aware of was the White demo one.

It was also booted on a blank label (light blue) the same time as Little Eddie Taylor, IHAGT, also on a light blue blank label.

Can put scans up of them tomorrow.

Edited by Theothertosspot
Added text
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

Despite it having a label showing the original b side, it does play James Bounty on the b side. 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, El Corol said:

Despite it having a label showing the original b side, it does play James Bounty on the b side. 

Yes I know I read that in an earlier reply.  The eBay add though doesn't tell you that.

Has to be a carver I'd have thought as I don't recall seeing a 70s reissue like that unless I missed it completely or totally forgot about it?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

IMO what this 45 is, somebody had the 70's bootleg and put printed labels over the  label on each side.

Or if it played James bounty on the flip they have the drilled out the centre with a hole cutter and put printed labels on each side.

Edited by Spook
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Just now, Spook said:

IMO what this 45 is, somebody has bought the goldmine 45 drilled out the centre with a hole cutter and put printed labels over the goldmine label on each side.

yep I was just looking what the Goldmine release had on the flip.  I have to agree with you as that is the only release with this pairing.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi all. Yeah, I'm the one who almost fell for it being 'real' but it didn't feel right. So looked around and found a couple of copies on 'Popsike' that had been sold some time time ago, when I looked at the labels closely I could see that they all had the exact identical amount of 'wear' to them, and one seller saying that the flip was not 'Gaucho Serenade'.   Got me thinking so contacted the seller who admitted the flip was 'James Bounty'. What was the point of trying to sell a fake like that, even if you didn't know much about the tune everyone knows 'James Bounty' so would know straight away that it wasn't real. The idea of the 'Goldmine' issue being drilled out and re-labeled sounds very plausible as the White demo and plain Blue Boot's that we all know of have have the correct flip.  But why would someone go to all that trouble to create a boot with the wrong 'B' side? 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulboy60 said:

Hi all. Yeah, I'm the one who almost fell for it being 'real' but it didn't feel right. So looked around and found a couple of copies on 'Popsike' that had been sold some time time ago, when I looked at the labels closely I could see that they all had the exact identical amount of 'wear' to them, and one seller saying that the flip was not 'Gaucho Serenade'.   Got me thinking so contacted the seller who admitted the flip was 'James Bounty'. What was the point of trying to sell a fake like that, even if you didn't know much about the tune everyone knows 'James Bounty' so would know straight away that it wasn't real. The idea of the 'Goldmine' issue being drilled out and re-labeled sounds very plausible as the White demo and plain Blue Boot's that we all know of have have the correct flip.  But why would someone go to all that trouble to create a boot with the wrong 'B' side? 

Because not all bootleggers have brains

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulboy60 said:

So looked around and found a couple of copies on 'Popsike' that had been sold some time time ago, when I looked at the labels closely I could see that they all had the exact identical amount of 'wear' to them, and one seller saying that the flip was not 'Gaucho Serenade'.

It would appear someone has done a few, possibly after the Goldmine issue, and infiltrated the market with them. 

Edited by Theothertosspot
Added text
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulboy60 said:

Just got an Email from JM who tells me that he sold this very copy to the Ebay seller,.. HA!

The seller was trying to tell me he'd had it for years,..... Plonker!

I have never known John ever break confidentiality about anyone before, so you are very lucky you managed to get him to do that. Can you show us the email please ?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have never known John ever break confidentiality about anyone before, so you are very lucky you managed to get him to do that. Can you show us the email please ?

Surely not. I'd be a bit miffed if someone posted my emails up on a public site. If JM wants to post the info on here I'm sure he's more than capable.

- Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Yes Kev I agree with you 100%, so sorry 'Blackpoolsoul', that's something I can't do. I wouldn't post any private mail here regardless from where and whom it came from. Shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place I think, feel free to slap my wrist.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soulboy60 said:

Yes Kev I agree with you 100%, so sorry 'Blackpoolsoul', that's something I can't do. I wouldn't post any private mail here regardless from where and whom it came from. Shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place I think, feel free to slap my wrist.

I sort of meant without the private bits crossed out as I am genuinely struggling to see John ever sending mail like that to anyone, he keeps his business very private and would love and be amazed to be proved wrong

24 minutes ago, Kevinkent said:

Surely not. I'd be a bit miffed if someone posted my emails up on a public site. If JM wants to post the info on here I'm sure he's more than capable.

- Kev

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I sort of meant without the private bits crossed out as I am genuinely struggling to see John ever sending mail like that to anyone, he keeps his business very private and would love and be amazed to be proved wrong

John has told me things in confidence and they will stay that way.  Not sure why people always seem to doubt what others say?  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!