Southern Allnighter

Whats wrong with moldies shed its got some great plants in it :wicked:

talking about traveling i live in southampton soon to move on the isle of wight,

i used to go regular to trentam gardens allnighters as well as the kings hall in stoke on trent, and the 100 club was a must to, i would like to go to more do,s up north but i dont have any wheels, was,nt old enough to go to wigan, bisley is the place for the wigan tunes, every time i,ve been always top quality tunes have been played, theres alot going on down south and i try to go to as many do,s as i can, i love the music and thats what i go for and if i get the chance to spin some tunes even better,

I,O,W SOUL CLUB KEEPING THE FAITH

Cant you tow your caravan and park outside to make a weekend of it Alfie :thumbsup: I was forced to write that by your friends :yes:

Social source share

• Replies 120
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i am sure there is people who would go to this, Peterborough which in southern part of England had one only last week and it was a good turn out.

Loads happen in the North but get them down south

Social source share

Spot on Col

In ans to your question - "how many of the people who attend Bisley attend 100 Club?" I'd say less than 5%.

Bisley regulars don't do the 100 club & 100 club regulars don't do Bisley. In general.

Col.

Social source share

Why can't folk see that its not only me that feels this way and that I'm not being a arsey pessimist!!

I'd certainly be interested - but have to say that from where i am on the East Sussex / Kent border, Southampton is a major pain in the arse to get to. London takes me an hour & a 1/4 Southhampton is a good 3 hrs.
Social source share

Never a truer word spoken my friend.

ive never missed a bisley since it started...ive djed at a lot of the events too and i can honestly say that most dont go to any other soul events.

out of the 300 odd that where there on saturday night less than 40 travel the 5 minutes down the rd to my lightwater event...some cant even be bothered to travel when i only charge a quid to get in

the crowd at bisley know what music they like thats why they go there

anyone that moans at the music policy at bisley should look at the website where it states that the promoters are trying to recreate the WIGAN SOUND

at lightwater i try to get djs that are capable of and do play different stuff

its a pity a few more of the bisley crowd dont have a more open mind concerning music

moldie

Social source share

.....and on this count you're right Karen - but - how long has that been happening down here and still there's no pleasing people. For gods sake if they're still going up to DJ's and asking for "proper" northern up north then we dont stand a chance :yes:

I guess you have to take into account that you'll either love a song immediately or it'll grow on you. Therefore, it will take a night of known tunes with a few new ones thrown in to make them like the new ones :thumbsup:
Social source share

Well said Rowly

I can never understand peoples aversion to hearing "new" tunes. If I don't get blown away at least twice during a night by something i don't know then I feel hard done by!
Social source share

.......and small attendances at Southern do's Karen :thumbsup:

Different strokes for different folks Rowly :yes: Keeps the world ticking and soul-source bickering biggrin.gif
Social source share

Woah Trigger - Peterborough is NOT down South - it is in a region in the East of our Kingdom - BUT - it is not down SARF ^_^ :thumbsup:

i am sure there is people who would go to this, Peterborough which in southern part of England had one only last week and it was a good turn out.

Social source share

Woah Trigger - Peterborough is NOT down South - it is in a region in the East of our Kingdom - BUT - it is not down SARF ^_^ :rolleyes:

But it is in comparison to the 'North' :wicked:

Social source share

I can never understand peoples aversion to hearing "new" tunes. If I don't get blown away at least twice during a night by something i don't know then I feel hard done by!

With you on that Rowly, while true new discoveries may be very thin on the ground there are so many records that are either semi-known or unknown to a large percentage of people. Every record was a new record to every single pair of ears once, I can't get my head around the fact that some people seem to have decided that they know all of the great records & don't want to hear anything different ?

& I'm not talking modern either :):D:lol::shades:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

With you on that Rowly, while true new discoveries may be very thin on the ground there are so many records that are either semi-known or unknown to a large percentage of people. Every record was a new record to every single pair of ears once, I can't get my head around the fact that some people seem to have decided that they know all of the great records & don't want to hear anything different ?

& I'm not talking modern either :):lol::shades::boxing:

I think we had a conversation on here along these line Dave (though it may have been with Paul)

I mentioned I didnt know the Harry Star track featured on the 'Junction' DVD box set. Someone told me it was an ols Stafford tune (Forgotten way more than I can remember, and that was just the next day), and then either you or Paul came on and said you'd been playing it every month at Soul in the City :D .

Its incredible that sometimes a song will just hit you, and even thou you may have ignored it before or even didnt like it before, it all becomes clear one night. And that is the magic of going out. It cant IMO be replicated at home.

At the last 100 I went to I finally got the Salvadores - Stick by me babty. A record I just ignored despite just about everyone of my mates raving about it (Mark's fave record for a time).

AND at the first ever Cleethorpes I went to, intermingled with all the incredible, rare and sought after stuff played that weekend, I heard - Love Love Love for the first time in over 10 years, and fell head over heels with it again.

As you say, the unkowns arent as prevalent as they were a couple of decades ago, but with the imagination Steve talks about in this thread, some 'forgotten' oldies can bring that magic to a night. If someone closes themselves off to hearing these underplayed and often under-rated tunes, then despite all their protestations, I firmly believe it will be them to stop going first if the top 500 records are continually the only records played across the country.

Social source share

I think we had a conversation on here along these line Dave (though it may have been with Paul)

I mentioned I didnt know the Harry Star track featured on the 'Junction' DVD box set. Someone told me it was an ols Stafford tune (Forgotten way more than I can remember, and that was just the next day), and then either you or Paul came on and said you'd been playing it every month at Soul in the City :D .

Its incredible that sometimes a song will just hit you, and even thou you may have ignored it before or even didnt like it before, it all becomes clear one night. And that is the magic of going out. It cant IMO be replicated at home.

At the last 100 I went to I finally got the Salvadores - Stick by me babty. A record I just ignored despite just about everyone of my mates raving about it (Mark's fave record for a time).

AND at the first ever Cleethorpes I went to, intermingled with all the incredible, rare and sought after stuff played that weekend, I heard - Love Love Love for the first time in over 10 years, and fell head over heels with it again.

As you say, the unkowns arent as prevalent as they were a couple of decades ago, but with the imagination Steve talks about in this thread, some 'forgotten' oldies can bring that magic to a night. If someone closes themselves off to hearing these underplayed and often under-rated tunes, then despite all their protestations, I firmly believe it will be them to stop going first if the top 500 records are continually the only records played across the country.

Hi Mikey

1) If your talking about Harry Starr another time etc it wasn't me as I don't have a copy but to be honest I don't think I 've heard Paul play it either. However If you're refering to Harry (Starr) & the Keyavas then it certainly was me as I used to hammer it in the early days at SITC & occasionaly thereafter.

2) I'm not sure if you're reading something into my post that wasn't there or if I'm doing the same to you :lol:

Without reading through the whole post again & so not sure exactly what Steve wrote ...it's the lack of imagination that's the problem (IMO) & peoples refusal to acknowledge these underplayed gems or some DJs unwillingness to play something that isn't a definate floor filler.

Sorry If I've totally misunderstood your post mate, I'm job hunting online at the moment so my minds on other things, but I think we're both on the same route :)

Social source share

Pee-turd-boro-ugh! is further north than Birmingham! shades.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Mikey

1) If your talking about Harry Starr another time etc it wasn't me as I don't have a copy but to be honest I don't think I 've heard Paul play it either. However If you're refering to Harry (Starr) & the Keyavas then it certainly was me as I used to hammer it in the early days at SITC & occasionaly thereafter.

2) I'm not sure if you're reading something into my post that wasn't there or if I'm doing the same to you :lol:

Without reading through the whole post again & so not sure exactly what Steve wrote ...it's the lack of imagination that's the problem (IMO) & peoples refusal to acknowledge these underplayed gems or some DJs unwillingness to play something that isn't a definate floor filler.

Sorry If I've totally misunderstood your post mate, I'm job hunting online at the moment so my minds on other things, but I think we're both on the same route thumbsup.gif

Its allright Dave, I do tend to ramble and go from point to point like the girl in Sound Of music, singing - I am 16 going on 17. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Hi Mikey

Alright Dave,

Hope you're good thumbsup.gif

I think Mikey means Harry Deal & Galaxies - I Still Love You - Eclipse.

The flip is pretty nice too. Played it a few times at Soulsville.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert