Southern Allnighter

............the answers to my comments are exactly why I'm pessimistic Moldie. You've hit the nail on the head ref. not dancing or returning because they didn't know the sound amonst many other comments which totally support my initial posting.

Oh and yes frustration was an understatement - sorry wink.gif

Social source share

• Replies 120
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've seen Jason a couple of times recently and he looks as dashing as always :thumbsup: I was going to mention Jason & Nick's nights at Cagneys in Bournemouth. I dj'd there a couple of times and always had a superb crowd. If those same people came along to your allnighters, you'd be quids in, Russ :thumbsup: Enthusiastic and always dancing. Keep us posted - I'll pop down. Any excuse for a weekend by the sea rolleyes.gif Jo

Jo - you're quite right - and how could I forget the 700-800 crowd at the showcase which blew me away all those years ago when the 2 guys went under the Shake Your Mini umbrella but the music policy there was very different to their soul nites at Cagneys, which was also well attended for some years.

My other thought that you've stirred up Jo is that imo there is a far larger modern/crossover crowd down south which are serious about the music and that travel the breadths of the country on a regular basis and who were the core of Russ's successful Abshot events, than say a rare 60's crowd.

Social source share

I'd be up for giving anyone a hand putting on an allnighter or any other type of NS do come to that, i must admit when Steve put his very successful alldayer i didn't help out too much but i wasn't in the best frame of mind or health at the time but now i've recharged my batteries & i'm raring to go again.

I've just booked an alldayer for the Volks on May 27th & am gonna try & pull all the stops out & make it a really great atmosphere if i can, there are a crowd of young people out there who like NS but who don't necessarily go to Northern dos, i know because i play NS at Da Doo Ron Ron every month & some of it is going down a storm & not necessarily the really obvious stuff, things like September Jones 'Give me all your love' are going down a storm & this isn't even that well known on the Northern scene.

What the South Coast scene needs imho is unity, passion & a fresh start, forget about the history of NS just play tunes that sound urgent & passionate for today from whatever era although imho most of these types of tunes come from the 6ts & 7ts.

Simon

Social source share

I've only been to Bisley once & that was a good few years ago, I didn't care too much for the music other than being a great nostalgia trip having been away from the scene for quite a while but the atmosphere was very good & a lot of hard work has obviously gone into making the event a success.

To my knowledge the music policy is still fairly well known oldies & as mentioned a regular 200 people turn up plus 400 for the anniversary. That really is a fantastic achievement.

However how many of the people who attend Bisley attend 100 Club ? I've been to a few 100 clubs in the last couple of years where I thought the attendance was farly low. Of course the anniversaries bring out the once a yearers but generally there is room for a lot more through the doors on a regular basis.

The point of the above is, if the South can't fill the 100 club for what is a fairly small venue would another all nighter playing music that isn't played out oldies flourish on the south coast ?

Social source share

Guest Ian Spittle

Jo - you're quite right - and how could I forget the 700-800 crowd at the showcase which blew me away all those years ago when the 2 guys went under the Shake Your Mini umbrella but the music policy there was very different to their soul nites at Cagneys, which was also well attended for some years.

My other thought that you've stirred up Jo is that imo there is a far larger modern/crossover crowd down south which are serious about the music and that travel the breadths of the country on a regular basis and who were the core of Russ's successful Abshot events, than say a rare 60's crowd.

Hi Steve, Jo, Russ, everyone

Just following through this thread and some very interesting comments (of which i won't add to the argumentative ones).

Glad that there's a mention of the modern/crossover crowd as this has always been my preference, although i will play completely across the board. Always willing to travel for a good across the board venue and sorely miss the old Lea Manor, Albrighton. Maybe this is something that Russ will bring back to the south.

It seems like I don't get invited to dj at a lot of venues now as I got classed as a 'modern' dj for playing 70's rare soul, so any new venue not playing overplayed oldies would be welcome.

Ian.

Social source share

I've seen Jason a couple of times recently and he looks as dashing as always :thumbsup: I was going to mention Jason & Nick's nights at Cagneys in Bournemouth. I dj'd there a couple of times and always had a superb crowd. If those same people came along to your allnighters, you'd be quids in, Russ :thumbsup: Enthusiastic and always dancing. Keep us posted - I'll pop down. Any excuse for a weekend by the sea :thumbsup: Jo

Thanks Jo, I have very fond memories of Cagney's & alway's thought that Jason managed to get things just right as the promoter. Remember at least one occasion when we were on together Jo & I had a ball, you'll be more than welcome at anything I might be involved in.

Russ

Social source share

My doubts are about the 'upfront' part of Russ' idea. As Steve says running events down south isnt the real problem. It is getting people to widen their tastes.

From Brum up to Lancashire, the location helps as it is easier for a larger number of people to get to.

But for a venue to be a success there has to be a decent regular crowd.

Russ' tastes are similar to say, Soul Sam, Richard S, and Dave T. They span from the 1960's right up to today. And without starting another oldie/newie debate, the number of people with as broad tastes, are fairly few.

Having an up front night in the midlands, means it is positioned better for people to travel to. Having one at the very extremes of the South Coast, North of Scotland, East of England or West Wales, presents problems. And while fans may travel as often as possible, they may not be able to get to these extremes often enough to cover the promoter's costs.

So then to make sure the bills can be covered, the music policy either shifts to keep the 'dancefloor' happy or the promoter plays russian roulette with his credit card.

Received & understood mate & I agree entirely............I think a balanced mix of oldies & newies, DJ's who can put ego's on hold for the sake of the dancefloor when required & possiblly a second room playing less mainstream & or Modern & Crossover.

Some very good points intelligently put...........thank you.

Russ

Social source share

Hi Steve, Jo, Russ, everyone

Just following through this thread and some very interesting comments (of which i won't add to the argumentative ones).

Glad that there's a mention of the modern/crossover crowd as this has always been my preference, although i will play completely across the board. Always willing to travel for a good across the board venue and sorely miss the old Lea Manor, Albrighton. Maybe this is something that Russ will bring back to the south.

It seems like I don't get invited to dj at a lot of venues now as I got classed as a 'modern' dj for playing 70's rare soul, so any new venue not playing overplayed oldies would be welcome.

Ian.

Great to hear from you Ian, hope you are well my friend, Ill see ya in August/September for sure some where ???.

Russ

Social source share

Received & understood mate & I agree entirely............I think a balanced mix of oldies & newies, DJ's who can put ego's on hold for the sake of the dancefloor when required & possiblly a second room playing less mainstream & or Modern & Crossover.

Some very good points intelligently put...........thank you.

Russ

IMO as per my earlier comments possibly 2 or 3 a year may be more of a goer ? ....Just a thought

Always a danger of clashing tho'.... 100 club (as was ?) Crossfire, Shooting high

Social source share

I'd be up for giving anyone a hand putting on an allnighter or any other type of NS do come to that, i must admit when Steve put his very successful alldayer i didn't help out too much but i wasn't in the best frame of mind or health at the time but now i've recharged my batteries & i'm raring to go again.

I've just booked an alldayer for the Volks on May 27th & am gonna try & pull all the stops out & make it a really great atmosphere if i can, there are a crowd of young people out there who like NS but who don't necessarily go to Northern dos, i know because i play NS at Da Doo Ron Ron every month & some of it is going down a storm & not necessarily the really obvious stuff, things like September Jones 'Give me all your love' are going down a storm & this isn't even that well known on the Northern scene.

What the South Coast scene needs imho is unity, passion & a fresh start, forget about the history of NS just play tunes that sound urgent & passionate for today from whatever era although imho most of these types of tunes come from the 6ts & 7ts.

Simon

Good luck with the 27th Simon. Agee with most of your comments too, particularly concerning the untapped younger element.............there is strength in unity...............it also means that it aint one poor sod taking care of all the bills biggrin.gif .

Russ

Social source share

IMO as per my earlier comments possibly 2 or 3 a year may be more of a goer ? ....Just a thought

Always a danger of clashing tho'.... 100 club (as was ?) Crossfire, Shooting high

Having some serious thoughts on this & I think that I may have an angle, good point matey.

Im blown away by the responses to this thread & whilst there are a few negatives, i really do think that on the whole the South Coast is a hot bed of Rare Soul, its just a matter of tweeking the music policy & getting the right venue.

I personally beleive there is room for a regular soul night, something along the lines of Abshott, Cagney's & the South Coast Soul Heaven do's................with possible Allnighters a few times a year with a broader music policy. No way will everyone be happy with everything all of the time & to try would be financial suicide, but I reckon we can fill a venue with like minded people & have a good time to some bangin' tunes.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Having some serious thoughts on this & I think that I may have an angle, good point matey.

Im blown away by the responses to this thread & whilst there are a few negatives, i really do think that on the whole the South Coast is a hot bed of Rare Soul, its just a matter of tweeking the music policy & getting the right venue.

I personally beleive there is room for a regular soul night, something along the lines of Abshott, Cagney's & the South Coast Soul Heaven do's................with possible Allnighters a few times a year with a broader music policy. No way will everyone be happy with everything all of the time & to try would be financial suicide, but I reckon we can fill a venue with like minded people & have a good time to some bangin' tunes.

Russ

If you do find an answer to that conundrum Russ. Bottle it. You'll be worth more than a Euro lottery winner thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Russ,

Will be good to see you back on the south coast.I've read all the posts and agree with Steve.Seems majority of crowd who travel are modern/crossover.Really enjoyed the dayer at Abshott Steve.Lets see who turns up on sat. nite and who moans about no oldies etc.I feel this venue could give all dj's & punters the chance to move on and experience something different and not the stuff we got towards the end of Cagneys.Go for it Russ I'll support you.

Dave.

Social source share

Hi Russ,

Will be good to see you back on the south coast.I've read all the posts and agree with Steve.Seems majority of crowd who travel are modern/crossover.Really enjoyed the dayer at Abshott Steve.Lets see who turns up on sat. nite and who moans about no oldies etc.I feel this venue could give all dj's & punters the chance to move on and experience something different and not the stuff we got towards the end of Cagneys.Go for it Russ I'll support you.

Dave.

Be great to see you my friend.

Russ

Social source share

russ ....... if you are looking for a real big venue i think south parade pier in portsmouth/southsea is fantastic. it has an 800 main side and a 400 smaller side. both rooms have wooden dancefloors ...... and there are truckloads of b&b's/hotels nearby. i couldn't comment on music policy too much as i don't attend allnighters ................ however, if you wanted to attract a few younger/local people too (numbers = £'s = break even/profit) you could put something like us or other local clubs/DJ's in the small side. that might water down your original idea a bit though.

Social source share

russ ....... if you are looking for a real big venue i think south parade pier in portsmouth/southsea is fantastic. it has an 800 main side and a 400 smaller side. both rooms have wooden dancefloors ...... and there are truckloads of b&b's/hotels nearby. i couldn't comment on music policy too much as i don't attend allnighters ................ however, if you wanted to attract a few younger/local people too (numbers = £'s = break even/profit) you could put something like us or other local clubs/DJ's in the small side. that might water down your original idea a bit though.

Thank you

Russ

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Remember at least one occasion when we were on together Jo & I had a ball, you'll be more than welcome at anything I might be involved in.

Russ

Consider it done, matey thumbsup.gif Anchors aweigh....yippee. Jo

Social source share

Count me in, Russ. How about Eastbourne Town Hall for a nighter??? thumbsup.gif

BTW - some of the best nights I have had in the past X years were at the Snooker Club in Portsmouth(?) that were run by Steve C and Dave. Music policy, for me, was absolutely spot on and always reminded me of Capitol Soul Club. Gutted when it ended.

Social source share

Count me in, Russ. How about Eastbourne Town Hall for a nighter??? :thumbsup:

BTW - some of the best nights I have had in the past X years were at the Snooker Club in Portsmouth(?) that were run by Steve C and Dave. Music policy, for me, was absolutely spot on and always reminded me of Capitol Soul Club. Gutted when it ended.

Many thanks Steve - we were so intent on sticking to the music policy that that prioritised over numbers hence the occasional low numbers and probably why we were subsequently stopped (bar takings).

Having just been to Karens inaugaral event my previous posts may show some substance and reasoning behind my comments - and thats through no real fault of hers. Could have had Soul Sam or Butch DJing there and and it would have been the same but thats for The Bourne of Soul thread tomorrow.

PS - Sure there was nothing "odd" played at The Snooker club Steve :thumbsup:wink.gif

Social source share

Music is very important to the individual Steve, I agreee :thumbsup: Even when you had about 12 in I still shook my boot on the floor in the same way I would have if there were 500. As far as I'm concerned I'm on my own for that entire record :lol:

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Music is very important to the individual Steve, I agreee :) Even when you had about 12 in I still shook my boot on the floor in the same way I would have if there were 500. As far as I'm concerned I'm on my own for that entire record :D

Im in my element when an unusual or underplayed tune comes on and clears the floor,im on the floor on my own ,and in my own little world,,I am a sad old sod :wicked:

Bazza

Social source share

Im in my element when an unusual or underplayed tune comes on and clears the floor,im on the floor on my own ,and in my own little world,,I am a sad old sod :wicked:

Bazza

THE NAILS BEEN HIT WRIGHT ON THE HEAD, IM THE SAME WHEN IM ON THE FLOOR IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD. THE ISLE OF WIGHT SOUL CLUB HAS ITS FIRST DO ON THE 10TH MARCH AND WE ONLY HAVE A FEW TICKETS LEFT MOST OF THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN SOLD TO SOULIES WHO LIVE ON THE ISLAND THE REST GOING OUT TO PEOPLE ON THE MAIN LAND, THE AGE GROUP BEEING 35+ SO THEY ARE OUT THERE.WE WILL BE PLAYING TOP QUALITY NORTHERN SOUL & MOTOWN. WE WILL BE GIVING OUT FREE MEMBERSHIP TO THOSE WHO WANT IT AND WE WILL SUPPORT YOU AS MUCH AS WE CAN AND ANYTHING ELSE GOING ON DOWN SOUTH.

regards alfie

I,O,W SOUL CLUB KEEPING THE FAITH

Edited by alfie00soul
Social source share

Good luck for your first night! I wonder if the two from the Island are the two lovely peeps I met in Bournemouth last year? Big guy with his wife... ?? Anyway, good luck! Photos and a review are a must biggrin.gif

Social source share

I've only been to Bisley once & that was a good few years ago, I didn't care too much for the music other than being a great nostalgia trip having been away from the scene for quite a while but the atmosphere was very good & a lot of hard work has obviously gone into making the event a success.

To my knowledge the music policy is still fairly well known oldies & as mentioned a regular 200 people turn up plus 400 for the anniversary. That really is a fantastic achievement.

However how many of the people who attend Bisley attend 100 Club ? I've been to a few 100 clubs in the last couple of years where I thought the attendance was farly low. Of course the anniversaries bring out the once a yearers but generally there is room for a lot more through the doors on a regular basis.

The point of the above is, if the South can't fill the 100 club for what is a fairly small venue would another all nighter playing music that isn't played out oldies flourish on the south coast ?

Bisley now has a modern room. I can tell you it was kicking in there saturday night. Tim Brown was on top form, superb crossover set - as good as you'll get at Soul Essence or anywhere else. He then went into the main room & played both 'oldies' & 'newies'.

In ans to your question - "how many of the people who attend Bisley attend 100 Club?" I'd say less than 5%.

Bisley regulars don't do the 100 club & 100 club regulars don't do Bisley. In general.

Col.

Social source share

Bisley now has a modern room. I can tell you it was kicking in there saturday night. Tim Brown was on top form, superb crossover set - as good as you'll get at Soul Essence or anywhere else. He then went into the main room & played both 'oldies' & 'newies'.

In ans to your question - "how many of the people who attend Bisley attend 100 Club?" I'd say less than 5%.

Bisley regulars don't do the 100 club & 100 club regulars don't do Bisley. In general.

Col.

in all honesty 90% of people that go to bisley dont go anywhere else

and before i get calls of jealousy im only telling the truth

the only thing kicking about your set colin was people kicking each other trying to escape that din you played

regards moldie

Social source share

in all honesty 90% of people that go to bisley dont go anywhere else

and before i get calls of jealousy im only telling the truth

the only thing kicking about your set colin was people kicking each other trying to escape that din you played

regards moldie

We do go to other places mate, Do you thats the real question. because i reckon if you went to other places you would see all the Bisley crowd BUT YOU DONT DO YOU

Social source share

I'd certainly be interested - but have to say that from where i am on the East Sussex / Kent border, Southampton is a major pain in the arse to get to. London takes me an hour & a 1/4 Southhampton is a good 3 hrs.

Social source share

I have heard a rumour that a few are thinking of putting one on in Kent.

Just a case of finding a venue, DJs and a perfect date so not to clash with anything of the same.

Would anyone on here be intrested in Doing a slot,

Modern room -

oldies room -

rare soul room -

It could be a great night if done right .

Wot no R&B room? :unsure:

I'd be intersted should you get anything sorted Bearsy.... :unsure:

Social source share

We do go to other places mate, Do you thats the real question. because i reckon if you went to other places you would see all the Bisley crowd BUT YOU DONT DO YOU

do you really think i sit at home on a saturday night?

like me or loathe me i am nothing but honest

i didnt think id named you as one of the 90%

ask others about where the bisley crowd go

around the south its the same people that go to all the local events

i got to eastleigh..luton...hayling island..bournemouth and a few others

working every sunday doesnt make it easy but i go whereever and whenever i can

moldie

Social source share

I go all over the shop and don't see the majority of punters I've seen at Bisley anywhere else :unsure: There are obviously a minority that do though :unsure:

ive never missed a bisley since it started...ive djed at a lot of the events too and i can honestly say that most dont go to any other soul events.

out of the 300 odd that where there on saturday night less than 40 travel the 5 minutes down the rd to my lightwater event...some cant even be bothered to travel when i only charge a quid to get in

the crowd at bisley know what music they like thats why they go there

anyone that moans at the music policy at bisley should look at the website where it states that the promoters are trying to recreate the WIGAN SOUND

at lightwater i try to get djs that are capable of and do play different stuff

its a pity a few more of the bisley crowd dont have a more open mind concerning music

moldie

Social source share

It's not about an open mind, it's about what you know you like. When we go to restaurants, we tend to order similar dishes because we know we'll enjoy them. Music is the same. :unsure:

I guess you have to take into account that you'll either love a song immediately or it'll grow on you. Therefore, it will take a night of known tunes with a few new ones thrown in to make them like the new ones :unsure:

Social source share

I can never understand peoples aversion to hearing "new" tunes. If I don't get blown away at least twice during a night by something i don't know then I feel hard done by!

Social source share

If I don't get blown away at least twice during a night by something i don't know then I feel hard done by!

And the rest of the night.. bearing in mind we're talking at least 5-6 hours...?

Social source share

I'd certainly be interested - but have to say that from where i am on the East Sussex / Kent border, Southampton is a major pain in the arse to get to. London takes me an hour & a 1/4 Southhampton is a good 3 hrs.

You lucky f*$#er, 3 hours is a breeze.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

do you really think i sit at home on a saturday night?

like me or loathe me i am nothing but honest

i didnt think id named you as one of the 90%

ask others about where the bisley crowd go

around the south its the same people that go to all the local events

i got to eastleigh..luton...hayling island..bournemouth and a few others

working every sunday doesnt make it easy but i go whereever and whenever i can

moldie

Bloody hell Moldie i aint stopped PMSL since i got your message.

you out this weekend anywhere there may be a bit of soul music going on and im not talking about your garden shed either :thumbsup::unsure::)

post-4635-1172140620.jpg

post-4635-1172140644.jpg

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Wot no R&B room? :)

I'd be intersted should you get anything sorted Bearsy.... :thumbsup:

I think it is worth looking into definately, Just got to get a bit of time to have a good phone around for a perfect venue with a few rooms if possible , parking, accomadation near by, etc etc.

If i do find somewhere suitable i would be asking everybody what would appeal to the majority and go from there. Rowly you would be a big part in my plans if it comes off :unsure:

I will keep all informed as and when anything materialises.

Bearsy

Social source share

Good luck for your first night! I wonder if the two from the Island are the two lovely peeps I met in Bournemouth last year? Big guy with his wife... ?? Anyway, good luck! Photos and a review are a must :rolleyes:

thanx for wishing us luck :thumbsup:

im not married yet but will be soon, i think you are on about colin and sue, will put photos up after the night once again thanx for your support its gonna be a blinder :yes:

Social source share

Bloody hell Moldie i aint stopped PMSL since i got your message.

you out this weekend anywhere there may be a bit of soul music going on and im not talking about your garden shed either :yes::rolleyes::thumbsup:

Whats wrong with moldies shed its got some great plants in it :thumbsup:

talking about traveling i live in southampton soon to move on the isle of wight,

i used to go regular to trentam gardens allnighters as well as the kings hall in stoke on trent, and the 100 club was a must to, i would like to go to more do,s up north but i dont have any wheels, was,nt old enough to go to wigan, bisley is the place for the wigan tunes, every time i,ve been always top quality tunes have been played, theres alot going on down south and i try to go to as many do,s as i can, i love the music and thats what i go for and if i get the chance to spin some tunes even better,

I,O,W SOUL CLUB KEEPING THE FAITH

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert