Southern Allnighter

Outside of London, is there enough support in the south of England for a reasonably forward thinking Allnight venue, say on a two monthly basis ???. Would the Southerners on the forum support such a venue ???, what would be the preferred music policy ????. Would a more intimate but upfront venue be better or would you prefer a larger venue, but compromise the music policy slightly to fill it ????. Would the Southampton area be reasonably accesible for most ???. Do you think there are enough Nighters & Soul Nights already without filling the calendar up even more or is more choice better for the scene ???.

Answers on the back of a fag packet :wicked: .

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 120
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Russ :wicked: This southerner would support it...find travelling hundreds of miles, after working from early hours, a killer..I'm ususally knackered when I get anywhere, thens its same journey home and straight back to work. Travelling for 30-40 mins would be bliss

Social source share

well i am down sarffffffffff but the place mentioned is still a 2 to 3 hour journey from me :wicked: ....no direct route from west coast to east coast ...would be quicker for me to go to london and altho we have had successful niters here in the past not many people who live oop north are willing to travel this far down...always got a good crew from the midlands...BUT why would they travel when they have a saturation of venues right on their doorstep???.....bring back yate lol its only up the road :(

cookie :yes:

Social source share

I'm with Lindsay (as always) :yes:

Personal preference is a big venue with a complete smattering of across the board - great to hear stuff you don't know but equally great to hear stuff you do :wicked:

Social source share

Outside of London, is there enough support in the south of England for a reasonably forward thinking Allnight venue, say on a two monthly basis ???. Would the Southerners on the forum support such a venue ???, what would be the preferred music policy ????. Would a more intimate but upfront venue be better or would you prefer a larger venue, but compromise the music policy slightly to fill it ????. Would the Southampton area be reasonably accesible for most ???. Do you think there are enough Nighters & Soul Nights already without filling the calendar up even more or is more choice better for the scene ???.

Answers on the back of a fag packet :thumbsup: .

Russ

The answer is Russ i'm really not sure, we had an allnighter at the Concorde in Brighton last August run by Rob Bailey & it was a major success, true it was off the back of a Mod weekender but it was a proper NS allnighter & rammed, music was 6ts & 7ts, some very well known tunes, some rarer stuff also but it worked!

You'd like to think an allnighter would work cause compared to the North we're bereft of dos, my favoured music policy would be mid to uptempo dancers of the 6ts & 7ts variety, not necessarilly all obvious stuff but tunes that are gonna get some new peeps excited as well as the old stagers.

Simon

Social source share

I do feel sorry for the soulies "darn sarf",up north you are bumping into venues all over the place,is it because you lot in the early 70s went Funk and Beatles,I dunno,I know I was brought up listening to Soul,I remember going to my first "Disco",A kids under 18s do' must have been about 1968 ,it was at the palais de dance in nottingham,and it was a soul do', I think I was about 14,stuck with me ever since,was it really so different down south.

Bazza

Social source share

I do feel sorry for the soulies "darn sarf",up north you are bumping into venues all over the place,is it because you lot in the early 70s went Funk and Beatles,I dunno,I know I was brought up listening to Soul,I remember going to my first "Disco",A kids under 18s do' must have been about 1968 ,it was at the palais de dance in nottingham,and it was a soul do', I think I was about 14,stuck with me ever since,was it really so different down south.

Bazza

Well,Was it ??????????

Bazza

Social source share

Russ

being a lover of northern soul and living in southampton it would be great to have a

allnighter down this way, there has been a couple of allnighters on the isle of wight

by the M,A,S boys which was great but the numbers where a bit low but every one

who was there had a great time. :thumbsup:

the dj line up was...molly,misscheif,moldie,myself,john hurbet and a few others.

me and a couple of mates have got together and started a soul club up on the island

so you would definately get our support. :thumbsup:

Social source share

The answer is Russ i'm really not sure, we had an allnighter at the Concorde in Brighton last August run by Rob Bailey & it was a major success, true it was off the back of a Mod weekender but it was a proper NS allnighter & rammed, music was 6ts & 7ts, some very well known tunes, some rarer stuff also but it worked!

You'd like to think an allnighter would work cause compared to the North we're bereft of dos, my favoured music policy would be mid to uptempo dancers of the 6ts & 7ts variety, not necessarilly all obvious stuff but tunes that are gonna get some new peeps excited as well as the old stagers.

Simon

The Concorde was a real blast from the past for me as I hadn't been to an allnighter for some time. I expected a decent turn out but I was stunned at how many people were there - brilliant atmosphere to boot. I ended up staying until about 5am when I planned to leave quite a bit earlier. So there's a fair chance a regular allnighter might work on the South coast. But can we have it in Brighton please.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

Hi Russ

I think with the right venue/ location this could very well work. Southampton seems the logical place to hold this, train services seem to run almost anywhere too from announcements I heard travelling from Hamble to one of Simon's dos in Brighton. Music policy would need to be pretty wide though I guess to embrace all the different styles that seem to be in vogue today. Bourne for Soul this weekend should be a good pointer to the current state of play in the South. Numbers were good at Soul Shoes in Bishopstoke on Saturday.

Social source share

Guest Ian Spittle

Russ

Hi Russ,

You've always got my support (especially if i get a dj spot - lol).

I miss a good 'Across the Board' soul night down in the South and i'm sure there are many others down here feel the same.

Ian.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As people have said. Southampton has poor access unless you live in the London corridor.

From Bristol, though not too far, it takes hours by car because the roads are crap. And we have seen how keen people arent to take a train.

Yate was in a reasonable position (Still is aint it Cookie) because it is so close to the M4 and M5.

That makes it a surprise why the few attempts at getting a niter going in Bristol ended so badly.

Looking at the excellent support from the South Coast at many venues, I think you'd get a reasonable crowd of regulars. But would there be enough to keep an up front niter going? I doubt it. Before long the 'fringe' people would drift away, because they dont enjoy hour after hour of songs they dont know.

Social source share

As people have said. Southampton has poor access unless you live in the London corridor.

From Bristol, though not too far, it takes hours by car because the roads are crap. And we have seen how keen people arent to take a train.

Yate was in a reasonable position (Still is aint it Cookie) because it is so close to the M4 and M5.

That makes it a surprise why the few attempts at getting a niter going in Bristol ended so badly.

Looking at the excellent support from the South Coast at many venues, I think you'd get a reasonable crowd of regulars. But would there be enough to keep an up front niter going? I doubt it. Before long the 'fringe' people would drift away, because they dont enjoy hour after hour of songs they dont know.

Think you may be right my friend.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

That's a bit of a crap excuse thought really isn't it. Living down South, Lindsay and I have to travel fucking miles - ok, we receive a very warm welcome where ever we end up, but most of those recipients wouldn't be seen dead down south. So, Russ, bring the Soul to us please :ohmy: I'm not against travelling but of course should something present itself nearer I'd be interested and faithful smile.gif

Social source share

Think you may be right my friend.

Russ

Here here - hard to keep quiet about this one and no doubt there are 2 other fellas who are chomping at the bit too!!!

I've seen people from a crowd of 22 walk away from soul nites down south unhappy coz the likes of the snake/skiing in the snow were not played. Goes without saying they ain't turned up again. Also seen Mac Staten clear the floor down here on more than one ocassion - Keith Money finds that hard to believe.

The first couple of events seem to be well attended (down here that equates to losing less than £100) until the locals, who "think" they are the knowledge of all things rare coz it dont get played in the nite club locally know as the Naval Acadamy of Dancing, dont get to hear much they know.

I could rant on for ages about this Russ and we know each other well enough to understand the whole ethos of the rare soul scene and the real passion involved but suffice to say, imo, that with the exception of a few, the Southerners will not continually attend unless it is along the lines of a spectacle such as Kings Hall where the atmosphere will totally suck them in (even if they dont recognise the tunes) - soul nite or niter!!

Maybe Molly, Dave and I could have done things differently but if we we could have I'd have liked to know and still would just of curiosity. National DJ's, good venues - just puzzles me.

Fact of the matter is that folk travel up North for do's but they're a handfull in comparison to the midlanders/Northerners that would have to come down in order to achieve a real soulful feel and a successful regular event.With the current amount of events on up there its hard to see many making the trek - on a regular basis.

There is however one person - if any - who has the passion and commitment to possibly succeed and thats you Russ. I wish with all my heart that you use your influence and success with Uptown Downtown and pull it off should you decide to have a go - and I will help in any form. Whats more I'll try not to be a pessimist but sometimes the South Coast and its so called "Northern Soul" attitude leaves me in despair. Watch the Northerners dance or even stand whilst listening to sounds and you can see the honest grimacing, the passion and pain on their faces reflecting the lyrics whereas the majority of the attendees down here will just be concerned that their "andy pandy on poppers" dancing stylee is going down a storm with those watching.

If I know you Russ I can imagine the music policy you'll want to adopt - all good and varied - goes without saying. That's not the music policy that is adopted at Bisley which is the only real successful "Southern" event and which I hasten to add I have thoroughly enjoyed in more recent times, when I've attended but although there is a contingent of Midlanders etc that attend the fact that its not near France makes it a more realistic and comfortable journey for them. Whats more I was once advised by Tim Brown that if I was ever to be a successful promoter down South I should bite my lip and adopt a similar music policy to which Derek and Pete have adopted. I'm not going to put my effort and good money into doing something that I'm not passionate about and that is already being done - very well - down here already.

That'll be me not putting on any more do's down here now after that rant but hell - I'd have lost money again after promises of "we'll be there".

You're a true gent Russ and the prospect excites me but some of the people who have commented on this thread don't realise what the music policy was at UTDS or would be should you decide to go ahead with a niter. The proof is in the playlists at IOW/Soton etc. That, incidentally, is not a character asassination of the promoters but mere fact as to the music policy.

Nuff said m8 - no doubt there'll be loads who will be wanting to travel along the M27 asking me as to what I mean by ........................ but like I said its probably the one thing thats affected not just my impression of the Southern scene but also my pocket - I feel there will be a couple of exasperated nodders out there too!

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

22 walk away from soul nites down south unhappy coz the likes of the snake/skiing in the snow were not played.
Where? Blimey, I can't believe that was recently, within the last 5 years? How dare they!

until the locals, who "think" they are the knowledge of all things rare coz it dont get played in the nite club locally know as the Naval Acadamy of Dancing, dont get to hear much they know.
What do you mean about that?
Social source share

Where? Blimey, I can't believe that was recently, within the last 5 years? How dare they!

On more than one ocassion at both the club in Southsea on Granada Rd (was more than 22 in there) and The Racecourse (cannot recall if you were there Karen).

Exactly as it says Karen!!

Social source share

steve...why do you say bisley is the only succesful soul nite in the south

there numbers go from 200 hundred up to 400 for the anniversary

large attendances dont always make a great night

lots of people supported your events from gosport to fareham and others in between

i enjoyed a lot of your nites but others i went with didnt always enjoy the music policy which on occasions i found odd myself..this isnt knocking you in any way as we had talked about not wanting to go THE WIGAN ROUTE that bisley had chosen

there was talk years ago of a niter on brighton pier but it never got off the ground

yourself.molly...dave abbott....me...tom powers jason and various others were asked for imput but nothing was ever done...

there is room down south for an all niter imvho......but finding a decent venue...promoter etc would always be a stumbling block

there are more than enough soulies around below london to support a large venue but to be honest i think that the majority of them still prefer oldies

if you look at the numbers that bisley gets then look at my event which is ten mins down the rd then i think this shows im right.....many people i talk to say they love the music at bisley and find the music policy at lightwater not too there taste

if you look at the djs i have play at lightwater you cant deny my event is truly across the board

tim brown..butch..soul sam..andy rix..roger banks..arthur fenn plus lots more fine djs including yourself have graced the decks...hardly oldies djs in my opinion

get something sorted down here...we will support the night

moldie

Social source share

well it makes no odds either way north or south to me being in the furthermost easterly part of the country but it would make a nice change to go south a bit more often than north thumbsup.gif

Social source share

On more than one ocassion at both the club in Southsea on Granada Rd (was more than 22 in there) and The Racecourse (cannot recall if you were there Karen).

Exactly as it says Karen!!

I supported what you did Steve and yet now you seem to 'not recall' if I were there? Is that a direct attack on me? I'm dumfounded if it is... being that I was probably one of the few that came to all of your racecourse nights. I'm very sad because I felt we had a good relationship til last cleethorpes.. you left without hide nor hair and now treat me as though you don't even know me!

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

steve c...just reread your post again...the bit about the playlists at the iow...what was wrong with them?

just because they dont agree with your tastes it dont make them bad

most of the djs there played to the floor...its no good playing super rare stuff to people that dont know or appreciate it....

derek mead and pete kelross that promote bisley did a couple of nighters a few years ago at a larege venue in aldershot....edwin starr was at the first one and they had around 500 thru the door...great nite

2nd niter martha reeves in attendance and although numbers were down...mainly due to the ticket price ...it was another very good night

this too me suggests there is a big fan base that are willing to go to a niter in the south

400 plus at bisley for there 9th anniversary says the same to me

regards moldie

Social source share

I supported what you did Steve and yet now you seem to 'not recall' if I were there? Is that a direct attack on me? I'm dumfounded if it is... being that I was probably one of the few that came to all of your racecourse nights. I'm very sad because I felt we had a good relationship til last cleethorpes.. you left without hide nor hair and now treat me as though you don't even know me!

i saw you at all the racecourse nights i went to karen thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I have heard a rumour that a few are thinking of putting one on in Kent.

Just a case of finding a venue, DJs and a perfect date so not to clash with anything of the same.

Would anyone on here be intrested in Doing a slot,

Modern room -

oldies room -

rare soul room -

It could be a great night if done right .

Social source share

Russ i'd wait till you came back and had a look at the scene on the south coast before you decide to start a new venue. It has changed a lot in the last 3 yrs mate.

Should you decide to go ahead try and make accessible by train as well as by road makes it easier for us non-drivers whistling.gif .

Southhampton's a pain in the ass to get anywhere from by train on a sunday morning by the way, would be a no-no for me.

Derek

Social source share

I have heard a rumour that a few are thinking of putting one on in Kent.

Just a case of finding a venue, DJs and a perfect date so not to clash with anything of the same.

Would anyone on here be intrested in Doing a slot,

Modern room -

oldies room -

rare soul room -

It could be a great night if done right .

put me down for all 3 rooms

gratis of course

see you sat nite m8

with your prezzie

Social source share

Being sort of "up north" I would certainly travel down to any do organised by yourself Russ and I would think a lot of others that know you from up here and further north would support you ... if only as a "welcome home" it would be a start ... you have been missed thumbsup.gif

It's true to say there is a lot going on in the Midlands and further up but IMO a lot of the nights are very similar ... I long to be somewhere different ... don't get me wrong I don't go out that often so can't speak for all venues ... but the ones I do get to go to I choose to go to because of the music policy ... ooops I think that third glass of wine has hit me now....

Social source share

Russ i'd wait till you came back and had a look at the scene on the south coast before you decide to start a new venue. It has changed a lot in the last 3 yrs mate.

Should you decide to go ahead try and make accessible by train as well as by road makes it easier for us non-drivers whistling.gif .

Southhampton's a pain in the ass to get anywhere from by train on a sunday morning by the way, would be a no-no for me.

Derek

how do you think its changed derek

are you trying to put him off?

Social source share

put me down for all 3 rooms

gratis of course

see you sat nite m8

with your prezzie

You would always be on my rota mate as it would be about class DJs, venue, and yes i accept prezzies. :thumbsup:

Once i get this Gig out of the way im doing in March i am seriously thinking about looking into a Kent nighter. maybe sometime towards the end of the year maybe yes.gif

Got my knee operation date come through so from the 8th March im homebound for a while so i might look into finding a venue then. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Russ

A good nighter is a good nighter no matter where it is and yes i think there is enough intrest in the south/south east areas.

Book great DJs and find a great venue and a great night shall be had by all. go for it i say thumbsup.gif

Social source share

how do you think its changed derek

are you trying to put him off?

No not at all mate. But three years away is a long time.

Just suggesting that he has a look and checks out things as they are now , rather than planning on the basis of how things were that's all.

cheers

Derek

Social source share

steve...why do you say bisley is the only succesful soul nite in the south

there numbers go from 200 hundred up to 400 for the anniversary

large attendances dont always make a great night

lots of people supported your events from gosport to fareham and others in between

i enjoyed a lot of your nites but others i went with didnt always enjoy the music policy which on occasions i found odd myself..this isnt knocking you in any way as we had talked about not wanting to go THE WIGAN ROUTE that bisley had chosen

there was talk years ago of a niter on brighton pier but it never got off the ground

yourself.molly...dave abbott....me...tom powers jason and various others were asked for imput but nothing was ever done...

there is room down south for an all niter imvho......but finding a decent venue...promoter etc would always be a stumbling block

there are more than enough soulies around below london to support a large venue but to be honest i think that the majority of them still prefer oldies

if you look at the numbers that bisley gets then look at my event which is ten mins down the rd then i think this shows im right.....many people i talk to say they love the music at bisley and find the music policy at lightwater not too there taste

if you look at the djs i have play at lightwater you cant deny my event is truly across the board

tim brown..butch..soul sam..andy rix..roger banks..arthur fenn plus lots more fine djs including yourself have graced the decks...hardly oldies djs in my opinion

get something sorted down here...we will support the night

moldie

Moldie, your post sums up and agrees with mine entirely.

Yes you are one of the guys who had an open mind with regards music policy but can you remember the small numbers that were present and your frustration as to why in the same vicinity, Bisley was raking them in.

I realise successful doesn't always mean large numbers and big venues - god knows Russ proved that with UTDS - but realistically which venue in the South - not just the S.Coast - generates the atmosphere and is or has been as successful as Bisley???

As I said in my original post the first few of any event promoted on the South Coast by myself/Dave/Molly was adequately attended (but usually at a loss - if you can call that successful) and I'm personally grateful for all who attended but it was not sustained which can only lead me to believe that either the music policy was not to all tastes or they were to far to travel to.

As for the music being odd - not you or anyone else of any relevance ever made that point to us at the time and I'd like to know which sounds you are referring to in particular. Or maybe it was Mac Staten - yes that would be an odd sound for a Southern do wink.gif

Joking aside Moldie we have put successful events on - the most prominent one was the Summer All dayer in 2005 which also hosted a modern room courtesy Jason, Martin and co - BUT - would be as successful every 2 months - for the points I made earlier I think not - but I yearn for it to be, more than anything.

Hope to see you soon wherever it may be m8.

Really curious as to the odd sounds tho - may explain away a lot of things

Social source share

Really wasn't expecting you - The Soulgirl - to react in such a manner - not like you at all Karen

Right - as I've spouted off you deserve a reply.

1. You did support me/Dave/Molly HOWEVER in 5 years time without looking at your attendance books you try and remember who attended your functions. You never attended all of them and certainly not the ones Carole and I put on together 12 years ago.

2. Don't take everything as a personal attack against you when the rest of the forum can see its not. Read and think about whats been written.

3. As for relationships etc etc - Do not ever try to lure me into airing dirty laundry on this public forum. Seeing as the whole world now wonders why we do not have a good relationship since last Cleethorpes (as if they care) they will also wonder why we chatted so amicably at Wolverhampton and why I am so keen to not only attend your inaugaral event on Saturday but also host and accomodate your guest dj's from abroad - the offer of which I made to you at Wolverhampton. I do not think I nor anyone else can portray these actions as "now treat me as though you don't even know me". By the way - you may wear a Soulgirl belt but you do not tell this soulie of 31 years when and if he should say goodbye to you when he leaves a weekender.

4. Please explain your use of bold type - means only one thing in my book.

5. I have answered Russ's posting on the thread he started relating it to relevant points. You have, as on previous threads, gone in feet 1st and not asked about or made any questions or points that are relevant to the subject matter.

6. For Russ's and everyone elses sake could you please stick to the subject matter in the thread as Moldie did rather than turn this into another nasty and needless mess. If thats impossible then I'd rather you e-mail me personally with your gripes.

7. I apologise to the rest of the forum, in particular Russ.

Social source share

Really wasn't expecting you - The Soulgirl - to react in such a manner - not like you at all Karen

Right - as I've spouted off you deserve a reply.

1. You did support me/Dave/Molly HOWEVER in 5 years time without looking at your attendance books you try and remember who attended your functions. You never attended all of them and certainly not the ones Carole and I put on together 12 years ago.

2. Don't take everything as a personal attack against you when the rest of the forum can see its not. Read and think about whats been written.

3. As for relationships etc etc - Do not ever try to lure me into airing dirty laundry on this public forum. Seeing as the whole world now wonders why we do not have a good relationship since last Cleethorpes (as if they care) they will also wonder why we chatted so amicably at Wolverhampton and why I am so keen to not only attend your inaugaral event on Saturday but also host and accomodate your guest dj's from abroad - the offer of which I made to you at Wolverhampton. I do not think I nor anyone else can portray these actions as "now treat me as though you don't even know me". By the way - you may wear a Soulgirl belt but you do not tell this soulie of 31 years when and if he should say goodbye to you when he leaves a weekender.

4. Please explain your use of bold type - means only one thing in my book.

5. I have answered Russ's posting on the thread he started relating it to relevant points. You have, as on previous threads, gone in feet 1st and not asked about or made any questions or points that are relevant to the subject matter.

6. For Russ's and everyone elses sake could you please stick to the subject matter in the thread as Moldie did rather than turn this into another nasty and needless mess. If thats impossible then I'd rather you e-mail me personally with your gripes.

7. I apologise to the rest of the forum, in particular Russ.

The bold type came from the html already used by you as I'd quoted your post and my reply used the same bold html formattting you'd used. Nothing more.

Airnig dirty laundry? I don't know what you mean Steve? What dirty laundry! As for your soul night I did attend them all over the last 5 years. OK, not 12 years ago... I wasn't on the 'scene' back then - busy getting grief from my ex husband.

they will also wonder why we chatted so amicably at Wolverhampton and why I am so keen to not only attend your inaugaral event on Saturday but also host and accomodate your guest dj's from abroad - the offer of which I made to you at Wolverhampton.

Sorry? Our amicable chat consited of nothing more but your suggestion of offering to accommodate Roccia. By the time I emailed him with your suggestion he'd already accepted your offer which meant you'd already arranged it and it wasn't really an offer to me at all.

Karen x

Social source share

The bold type came from the html already used by you as I'd quoted your post and my reply used the same bold html formattting you'd used. Nothing more.

Airnig dirty laundry? I don't know what you mean Steve? What dirty laundry! As for your soul night I did attend them all over the last 5 years. OK, not 12 years ago... I wasn't on the 'scene' back then - busy getting grief from my ex husband.

Sorry? Our amicable chat consited of nothing more but your suggestion of offering to accommodate Roccia. By the time I emailed him with your suggestion he'd already accepted your offer which meant you'd already arranged it and it wasn't really an offer to me at all.

Karen x

Oh Karen - you really know how to make people feel at ease when they come to these shores - enuffs enuff - will pm you over the next 2 days with regards all issues not associated with this thread - b4 you make any more rash or false statements which will embarass folk.

Social source share

Certainly some passionate views about the South Coast Scene, Im listening to everyones advise, comments & observations & I reckon we have enough politics going on to be pretty successful :thumbsup::thumbsup::shades: . Thank you for everyones kind comments blush.gif . You can be sure that if & when this happens it will be done properly & with a passion, & everyone will be made welcome.

Derek I have a couple of venues in mind, neither in Southampton, so dont worry mate.

Also there is the route of as a team we could be strong.............think about it, all our egos on hold, pool our resourses.

I started the thread to gauge opinion for some sort of promotion, possibly an Allnighter, I will not be making any decisions until I get back home in August & even then any decent promotion will need some long hard planning & advertising, in the mean time Im enjoying hearing everyones input, so keep it coming................proves you buggers aint dead biggrin.gif , there's life in the old South Coast Scene yet.

Whats Jason up to these days BTW ????.

Russ

Social source share

Moldie, your post sums up and agrees with mine entirely.

Yes you are one of the guys who had an open mind with regards music policy but can you remember the small numbers that were present and your frustration as to why in the same vicinity, Bisley was raking them in.

you are right steve but frustrated is an understatement

I realise successful doesn't always mean large numbers and big venues - god knows Russ proved that with UTDS - but realistically which venue in the South - not just the S.Coast - generates the atmosphere and is or has been as successful as Bisley???

depends on what you mean by success...making money,large numbers or punters leaving the event thinking ..oh god we heard all those records last time etc

As I said in my original post the first few of any event promoted on the South Coast by myself/Dave/Molly was adequately attended (but usually at a loss - if you can call that successful) and I'm personally grateful for all who attended but it was not sustained which can only lead me to believe that either the music policy was not to all tastes or they were to far to travel to.

imvho....music policy was not always to everyones taste and distance was a factor

As for the music being odd - not you or anyone else of any relevance ever made that point to us at the time and I'd like to know which sounds you are referring to in particular. Or maybe it was Mac Staten - yes that would be an odd sound for a Southern do wink.gif

no tunes in particular but i remember mates waiting on the side of the dancefloor hoping for something they liked or knew...most events play 17 people know with 3 rarer thrown in but it was sometimes 10/10 at some of your events

Joking aside Moldie we have put successful events on - the most prominent one was the Summer All dayer in 2005 which also hosted a modern room courtesy Jason, Martin and co - BUT - would be as successful every 2 months - for the points I made earlier I think not - but I yearn for it to be, more than anything.

for this reason i only run lightwater 4/5 times a year...so many at bisley never go anywhere else...id love lightwater to have more than the average 120 through the door

Hope to see you soon wherever it may be m8......same to you steve...and carol of course

Really curious as to the odd sounds tho - may explain away a lot of things

not everyone in the south are as knowlegable as you steve..i know mates that went to the racecourse once and never came back...no reflection on you but on the fact they know what they like musically and will never change

regards moldie

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Russ

I've seen Jason a couple of times recently and he looks as dashing as always :thumbsup: I was going to mention Jason & Nick's nights at Cagneys in Bournemouth. I dj'd there a couple of times and always had a superb crowd. If those same people came along to your allnighters, you'd be quids in, Russ :thumbsup: Enthusiastic and always dancing. Keep us posted - I'll pop down. Any excuse for a weekend by the sea rolleyes.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My doubts are about the 'upfront' part of Russ' idea. As Steve says running events down south isnt the real problem. It is getting people to widen their tastes.

From Brum up to Lancashire, the location helps as it is easier for a larger number of people to get to.

But for a venue to be a success there has to be a decent regular crowd.

Russ' tastes are similar to say, Soul Sam, Richard S, and Dave T. They span from the 1960's right up to today. And without starting another oldie/newie debate, the number of people with as broad tastes, are fairly few.

Having an up front night in the midlands, means it is positioned better for people to travel to. Having one at the very extremes of the South Coast, North of Scotland, East of England or West Wales, presents problems. And while fans may travel as often as possible, they may not be able to get to these extremes often enough to cover the promoter's costs.

So then to make sure the bills can be covered, the music policy either shifts to keep the 'dancefloor' happy or the promoter plays russian roulette with his credit card.

Social source share

Certainly some passionate views about the South Coast Scene, Im listening to everyones advise, comments & observations & I reckon we have enough politics going on to be pretty successful :thumbsup::shades:laugh.gif . Thank you for everyones kind comments :thumbsup: . You can be sure that if & when this happens it will be done properly & with a passion, & everyone will be made welcome.

Derek I have a couple of venues in mind, neither in Southampton, so dont worry mate.

Also there is the route of as a team we could be strong.............think about it, all our egos on hold, pool our resourses.

I started the thread to gauge opinion for some sort of promotion, possibly an Allnighter, I will not be making any decisions until I get back home in August & even then any decent promotion will need some long hard planning & advertising, in the mean time Im enjoying hearing everyones input, so keep it coming................proves you buggers aint dead biggrin.gif , there's life in the old South Coast Scene yet.

Russ

On the basis of your past ventures you can achieve it Russ but what numbers would constitute a successful niter down south in your opinion? If your aim is for it to be roughly on the same scale as Abshot then you would be successful. My doubts kick in when I try to imagine more than a 200 attendance at a function which would adopt the music policy that Abshot did when you ran it. rolleyes.gif speak soon m8

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert