Sir John Quintet - Un-Ga-La on Josie

Richard

57 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Sir John Jeffrey Quintet (Jazz guys). mostly played Naples and Marco Island /South West Florida since at least 1973.

Read this was released 1966 which would tie up with Yesterday being on the flip

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

100% (a new cover up, quick hide this thread 🎼😋)

😁

Social source share

14 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

yes that's him...although he's unlikely to be on the Josey 45. He was a native of Rochester, New York before moving to Florida in the late 80's. and the 45 preceeded his involvement in the band i think.( assuming the Josey 45 is 60's/70's)

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

yes that's him...although he's unlikely to be on the Josey 45. He was a native of Rochester, New York before moving to Florida in the late 80's. and the 45 preceeded his involvement in the band i think.( assuming the Josey 45 is 60's/70's)

The delta number is 59957 so should be later part of 1965 start 1966 I think.90BED69D-2084-4780-8A91-5E87C0A89EFA.thumb.jpeg.a5f961b52afd7685ba48d14642602a45.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Could this actually be Leon Haywood and the guys whose disc on Josie was 6 releases before the "Sir John" record? This was Leon & The Burners-Crack up and the link being N.Nathan( Magnificent Montague) who put out loads of discs with Leon under different names such as the Romeos, Soul Runners etc.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Graham Anthony said:

Could this actually be Leon Haywood and the guys whose disc on Josie was 6 releases before the "Sir John" record? This was Leon & The Burners-Crack up and the link being N.Nathan( Magnificent Montague) who put out loads of discs with Leon under different names such as the Romeos, Soul Runners etc.

You know you could be right, found this on Funky16corners and it says about his keyboard skills with groups with various aliases 

https://funky16corners.com/?p=6359 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Graham Anthony said:

I don't think so Graham👍. I know who the 'Sir John's' were, and they certainly have nothing to do with Funky 16 corners (Highlighters band, James Bell, et al), but go-ahead if you can make a connection with Leon, i'd like to see it.

Social source share

Hiya-was just speculating that's all. Got no direct proof other than Leon was working on loads of sessions for Nathan Nathaniel at this time (1966) and had a disc on Josie a few months before. It does sound like a lot of other stuff they were doing together at this time-Hideaways, Packers, Romeos etc. Do you know for definite it's the Sir John Jeffrey Quintet you're talking about as they seem to be later. Cheers Graham

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!