Labels missing

Dave West

If you was offered an original  expensive 45 (example 2K) with labels missing what percentage would you expect to pay against one with labels intact of the same grading.

also would you leave as is, put a sticker on with title or put a scanned label on. 

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave West
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Dave West said:

If you was offered an original  expensive 45 (example 2K) with labels missing what percentage would you expect to pay against one with labels intact of the same grading.

also would you leave as is, put a sticker on with title or put a scanned label on. 

Cheers Dave

Not sure about value Dave as they say 'its what's in the grooves that count', but I would expect to pay substantially less that 'book' price.

On the other question, I too had a rare 45 minus labels. I managed to borrow another copy and did hi-res scans the same size as the label. A mate of mine who is an professional artist cut out the copied labels and stuck them to the copy I had. When he's finished I couldn't tell the difference between the two copies.

So I guess if the vinyl is original and if you are careful in ensuring you get replacement labels done correctly, then that's OK for me.

Social source share

On 25/02/2022 at 11:07, Dave West said:

Cheers Dave

I didn't realise there are any expensive records on the Shrine label!.

For best results source another copy and get the record colour photocopied at somewhere like Rymans, Staples etc - best way the get the correct size and colours.

If you want to remove the centre portion, invest in a new pair of 'curved' scissors. Remove the bulk then carefully trip the edges, but don't allow the scissors the fully close, like when tailors cut cloth, else you'll get a 'snip'

Stick labels on with water based glues-l1600.jpg

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Just my opinion, but a 2k record with no labels wouldn't be worth much to me.  25% or 500 quid max. Why? Because basically all you have is a shiny black disc. It has the correct run out groove details ok. But when you look at it, all the beauty is gone.

And sticking on a colour copy label would only make it look like a home made carver.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 25/02/2022 at 12:04, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Not sure about value Dave as they say 'its what's in the grooves that count', but I would expect to pay substantially less that 'book' price.

On the other question, I too had a rare 45 minus labels. I managed to borrow another copy and did hi-res scans the same size as the label. A mate of mine who is an professional artist cut out the copied labels and stuck them to the copy I had. When he's finished I couldn't tell the difference between the two copies.

So I guess if the vinyl is original and if you are careful in ensuring you get replacement labels done correctly, then that's OK for me.

Sounds like the start of a great business venture there!

When you sell the disc in question...will you give its history to the new buyer?

Ed

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

When you sell the disc in question...will you give its history to the new buyer?

Ed

Personally, I would say that this process would de-value the record even more than if it were left without labels. The whole point of owning an original above a pressing/boot/re-issue is its total authenticity 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Merve said:

Personally, I would say that this process would de-value the record even more than if it were left without labels. The whole point of owning an original above a pressing/boot/re-issue is its total authenticity 

To me a record without labels is worth sweet FA. So I'd rather have top quality replacement labels than just bare plastic.

6 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Finding a paper match could be difficult. Think I could spot the difference between a Lazer copied print and the traditional method pretty easy, unless monochrome, that would be harder to spot. 

You are right, finding the paper match is the hardest part. Printers can pretty much produce a label identical in every way.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

I had one done for a sales item I had years ago. Yes I told the buyer that one side of the label had been replaced and that was reflected in the price. The feedback from the buyer was that he didn't know which side had been replaced and if I hadn't told him he would be in blissful ignorance.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!