Group Harmony on Radio

Mal C

Hi foilks, wonder if anybody has any recorded radio shows that played all thet great early group Harmony stuff?

remember there being mention of 'Hy Lit, WSNI' cassets on a certain Lp you will all know that came out on Soul Supply in the 8ts, I'd love to track some down.  So this is original early sixties shows not selections put together on Mixcloud in recent times...

Do these things exist?

Mal

Social source share

Like those Rod, knew the one, not the other... I guess what Im asking for here is the more soulful side of Group Harmony or Doo Wop as allot call it. Not all of those records selected for the LP "Under the street lamp" were really early sixties, but the LP had a sound to it... as time has gone on we know more about these groups, but back then that LP was a revelation for allot of folks, I collected them all, but I still put the Lp on and listen through...

SS did a few more CD's in the 9ts as well, with stuff like 'The Executive Four - You Are' Lumar,  'The Limelights - You Don't Love Me Anymore' Uncle ,The Appreciations - No No No' Aware and so on...

I got a copy of 'The Ambassadors – Too Young For Me' on Fleet not long ago, a serious bit of Group Harmony that...  thats the stuff Im looking for...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

16 hours ago, Mal C said:

Like those Rod, knew the one, not the other... I guess what Im asking for here is the more soulful side of Group Harmony or Doo Wop as allot call it. Not all of those records selected for the LP "Under the street lamp" were really early sixties, but the LP had a sound to it... as time has gone on we know more about these groups, but back then that LP was a revelation for allot of folks, I collected them all, but I still put the Lp on and listen through...

SS did a few more CD's in the 9ts as well, with stuff like 'The Executive Four - You Are' Lumar,  'The Limelights - You Don't Love Me Anymore' Uncle ,The Appreciations - No No No' Aware and so on...

I got a copy of 'The Ambassadors – Too Young For Me' on Fleet not long ago, a serious bit of Group Harmony that...  thats the stuff Im looking for...

If you've not already read it, this might interest you..

http://opalnations.com/files/Miles_Grayson_Blues_Rhythm_241_Aug.2009.pdf

• Listening now 1
Social source share

Cheers Ken, great article, I'll have to read it twice, but when I saw it I thought oh Christ, its that version of "It Ain't Necessarily So" agiain!     I can rememeber listening to an old mod version of that standard aound a mates haouse in the eighties on tape he had, never been able to track it down, i though some years ago it was Miles Greyson... not on You tube so I cant confirm... with an organ in the background, and almost spoken vocal, as Ive said mod record, but very good track.

that whole thing is a head fuck for me, that bloody record!! wish I could find it...!  thanks for the article...

• Thanks 1
Social source share

A few years ago a friend of mine visited Chicago on a record buying trip .There was a guy in one of the shops who had compiled some fave down tempo records onto CD , this was in the early years of the CD-R .My friend let me tape them ,below is one such example .I’ll look out the others if there is any interest .

2F57AAF8-85E7-43A0-98B8-CDEEA8F2F343.jpeg

Social source share

Echoing the praise for "Sitting In The Park". The amount of research, effort, and pure love put into every episode was staggering. Nothing has had a bigger impact on my understanding of soul music.

I like the "Lowrider Sundays" show on dublab . Not always group harmony sounds, but definitely tends towards the sweetier side, with the odd bit of doo wop as well. They've had some great guests like Ruben Molina & George Miller 

Social source share

Anyone interested in group harmony and deep/low soul should tune in to the @Fingerpoppinsoul radio show, which broadcasts out of Amsterdam every Thursday and is now in its 29th year.

Presenters Hans and Harry, who have written for numerous soul fanzines over the years, have a hugely impressive pedigree relative to both their knowledge (encyclopaedic) and the artists they've met. Seriously, check them out...

http://www.fingerpoppinsoul.amsterdam/artists-we-met.html

Hans and Harry's 2-hour weekly shows are uploaded to Mixcloud every Friday, and you can find them in the link below. Nigh on 30 years of broadcasting - and to those in the know, these guys are legends...

<Added> And their shows are posted up weekly in the Soul Media forum on here. Do check them out - you won't regret it!

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/128-soul-media/

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 25/02/2022 at 18:21, Mal C said:

I sometimes listen the doo wop cafe, the degree of 'soulfulness' depend on the DJ

http://www.doowopcafe.org/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!