Everything You Need to Know About N,S,and Venetta Fields

John Hart

6 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Not heard Ian before but I'd assumed this was written by someone with English as a second language. Not sure I've read such disjointed, awkward writing online in some time. Best you can say is that some of it is factually accurate.  To think the writer has been paid to write the tripe, staggers me, discogs, I expect better.  

I disagree. With a need to include lots and lots of links to artists and record labels throughout the article, it's inevitable that the flow of the story will come across as being somewhat disjointed. That, though, is down to the web editor/publisher rather than the writer.

There's nothing wrong with the writer's cohesion in telling the story - it makes sense, even if it isn't the version you or anyone else directly involved in the scene might pen - and there's nothing technically wrong with their syntax or grammar.

The story itself covers the many points that I suspect were demanded by the person who commissioned it, so any flaws lie with them and those responsible for editing the draft prepared by the writer.

Ultimately, I anticipate the writer was given an unrealistic brief along the lines of "write about the history and evolution of 'Northern Soul' while including lots and lots of links to Discog listings - and all in about 1,200 words."

That's mission impossible.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I disagree. With a need to include lots and lots of links to artists and record labels throughout the article, it's inevitable that the flow of the story will come across as being somewhat disjointed. That, though, is down to the web editor/publisher rather than the writer.

There's nothing wrong with the writer's cohesion in telling the story - it makes sense, even if it isn't the version you or anyone else directly involved in the scene might pen - and there's nothing technically wrong with their syntax or grammar.

The story itself covers the many points that I suspect were demanded by the person who commissioned it, so any flaws lie with them and those responsible for editing the draft prepared by the writer.

Ultimately, I anticipate the writer was given an unrealistic brief along the lines of "write about the history and evolution of 'Northern Soul' while including lots and lots of links to Discog listings - and all in about 1,200 words."

That's mission impossible.

Mission impossible at work I decline. To write about a subject one has no involvement with so that one don't actually know anything much about that is worth to write about is a mediocre posture. People must earn a living eh ? If so then the backlash of the bad journalist and editor job given is part of the package deal. Fair, no ?

Too much of that poor MOR politically polished (correct) eye twister & mind bender journalism. And that on any subjects. Even on more serious matter FWIW. Here it's merely "unoffensive"... Only ridiculous if ever. As for the whole "picture" depainted here ; yes incoherent at least as you say or freaky like taking a ride to Smurf land ! 🎃

• Up vote 3
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Mission impossible at work I decline. To write about a subject one has no involvement with so that one don't actually know anything much about that is worth to write about is a mediocre posture. People must earn a living eh ? If so then the backlash of the bad journalist and editor job given is part of the package deal. Fair, no ?

Too much of that poor MOR politically polished (correct) eye twister & mind bender journalism. And that on any subjects. Even on more serious matter FWIW. Here it's merely "unoffensive"... Only ridiculous if ever. As for the whole "picture" depainted here ; yes incoherent at least as you say or freaky like taking a ride to Smurf land ! 🎃

Get a supposed "expert" to write about the history and evolution of the scrambled egg mess that is "Northern Soul" and every armchair "expert" will tell you what's wrong with it - from their own subjective point of view. It's exactly the same as all the armchair football experts who'll tell you in no uncertain terms how a team - and the players within that team - should be best used.

There is nothing wrong with the grammar or syntax used within the article (if anyone wants to tell me otherwise, please do highlight the errors). And whether the hired journalist has any prior knowledge - or is indeed an "expert" on the subject - is neither here nor there. The piece is functional in that it provides a potted history of the scene - and does so in a way that is useful to Discogs, albeit a narrow and self-serving way.

Authoritative writing? No. But job done as far as Discogs is concerned. 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It appears Ian is a "jack of all trades and a master of none"

https://blog.discogs.com/en/author/ishirley/

That "master of none" includes being editor of the Record Collector Rare Price Guide and (according to his LinkedIn profile, here: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/iashirley)...

Feature writer on music, history and popular culture written for a wide range publications that include The Wire, Mojo, The Times, The Sunday Times, Record Collector and Total Car Audio.

Social source share

That "master of none" includes being editor of the Record Collector Rare Price Guide and (according to his LinkedIn profile, here...

Feature writer on music, history and popular culture written for a wide range publications that include The Wire, Mojo, The Times, The Sunday Times, Record Collector and Total Car Audio.

We've been served ! And what if he was, not human at all... An A.I. developped in China (basic Enhlish) ? 😋

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

That "master of none" includes being editor of the Record Collector Rare Price Guide and (according to his LinkedIn profile, here: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/iashirley)...

Irrelevant, as Jackie Weaver said "you have no authority here" (some will understand this quote)

We hold the scene and the music very close to our hearts and no one from the outside should really comment, without any experience. Anyone can put together an article, but unless they have lived what they write, some of us see the attempt as pathetic.

What was that group Johnny Johnson performed with ?

A Bandwagon, I believe a Bandwagon (some will understand this too)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Irrelevant, as Jackie Weaver said "you have no authority here" (some will understand this quote)

We hold the scene and the music very close to our hearts and no one from the outside should really comment, without any experience. Anyone can put together an article, but unless they have lived what they write, some of us see the attempt as pathetic.

Oh, please. How dare a music journalist, label owner, and editor of the Record Collector Rare Price Guide, write about music, record labels and record collecting. :lol:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

People write books about ancient Rome and never existed in that time period. Sometimes a perspective from outside the bubble is as useful as from someone in the bubble.

Social source share

I think that article started well, it peaked my interest, but the selection on Spotify was slightly at odds with the labels and tracks they were talking about. 

If your gonna push the brilliance of John and Wierdist and Executive Four you dont start your play list with PP Arnold and finish with the snake...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Leicester Boy said:

People write books about ancient Rome and never existed in that time period. Sometimes a perspective from outside the bubble is as useful as from someone in the bubble.

Totally agree, on this occasion though the writer comes across as an unknowledgeable arse!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Totally agree, on this occasion though the writer comes across as an unknowledgeable arse!

I found this article from Greg Wilson and please note the complete and glaring error in the first paragraph, just proves how some folks just do not understand what they are writing about, or check what they are writing.

"Northern Soul was a British term for a style (or group of styles) of American black music"

https://electrofunkroots.co.uk/articles/what.html

Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I found this article from Greg Wilson and please note the complete and glaring error in the first paragraph, just proves how some folks just do not understand what they are writing about, or check what they are writing.

"Northern Soul was a British term for a style (or group of styles) of American black music"

https://electrofunkroots.co.uk/articles/what.html

think it's you that has made the complete and glaring error here

what's wrong with that?

the key word imo to take away from that statement being "style"

surely every record that has ever been classed as northern soul has elements of a style of American black music be it intended or not?

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Source said:

think it's you that has made the complete and glaring error here

what's wrong with that?

the key word imo to take away from that statement being "style"

surely every record that has ever been classed as northern soul has elements of a style of American black music be it intended or not?

My opinion differs from yours as IMO there are lots of garage style records played on the Northern Soul scene that had/have nothing whatsoever, to do with American black music.

The most fantastic thing about the northern soul scene is that the music and the people did not discriminate and crossed boundaries music wise and were never a one particular thing

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

My opinion differs from yours as IMO there are lots of garage style records played on the Northern Soul scene that had/have nothing whatsoever to do with American black music

nothing at all to do with the 'style' of american black music ?

find that view hard to take in but hey that's your opinion, thanks for sharing

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

My opinion differs from yours as IMO there are lots of garage style records played on the Northern Soul scene that had/have nothing whatsoever, to do with American black music.

The most fantastic thing about the northern soul scene is that the music and the people did not discriminate and crossed boundaries music wise and were never a one particular thing

Those garage records were a reaction to the British invasion, which was in turn inspired, American rhythm and blues. Truth be told,  musical influences know no race Boundaries, black musicians have accepted western European influences as have white musicians of African.  

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 24/02/2022 at 08:07, Amsterdam Russ said:

Oh, please. How dare a music journalist, label owner, and editor of the Record Collector Rare Price Guide, write about music, record labels and record collecting. :lol:

are you best mates with him by any chance... i gave up on record collector some years ago after getting it monthly for 25 years.. the were great on elvis, cliff the beatles and captain beefheart.. but hopeless on soul music back then.. has anything changed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

are you best mates with him by any chance... i gave up on record collector some years ago after getting it monthly for 25 years.. the were great on elvis, cliff the beatles and captain beefheart.. but hopeless on soul music back then.. has anything changed

Brilliant, just brilliant 😀, you never know Dave, he might write an article on the Horse and Groom, seeing as he has never been there.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

Hi Dave , you might want to make an exception and buy March edition of Record Collector as has a two page feature on Last Bastion Records , the Lou Pride & Steve Marriott releases etc 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

Likewise, haven't bought a copy of RC for maybe 25 years, and my copy of their rare price guide dates back to 2010. Mark Windle's written a few soul-related articles for them in recent times, I believe, so they have been known to commission quality writers on the subject.

Would love to read any articles summing up Northern Soul written by those here who seem to be most vocal in criticising the piece on Discogs.

Please do post up links so we can all have a good read - and then go through the all too familiar routine of pulling them apart.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

18 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

sadly pulling things apart is part and parcel of the scene.. usually playlists where they dont know the tunes and are totally out of their depth.. so they just say there shite.. think we all have our own version of what northern soul is and means to us.. every life story is a bit different from the other

yeah but some are shite lol 🙂 🙂 ...seriously though ..out of courtesy folks shouldn't  comment with 'load of shite' as you say everyone has their own version of Northern Soul

Edited by Jez Jones
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!