Passionetts on jm’s

Dobber

Well it is genuinely rare (& in top condition) unlike some recent auction items that have gone very high. The 'flip' could also be attracting heavy interest from US based collectors.......  As for the track itself I quite liked it but one of those that does the opposite of 'grows on you'.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Bbrich said:

Well it is genuinely rare (& in top condition) unlike some recent auction items that have gone very high. The 'flip' could also be attracting heavy interest from US based collectors.......  As for the track itself I quite liked it but one of those that does the opposite of 'grows on you'.

Yeah its not the worst tune around,but i have seen it around on occasion,and i just havent bothered with it feeling like its something i would play twice and be bored with it! And in terms of value ive never seen it at any more than 600/800 quid!

i agree with recent items fetching huge amounts for relatively  common records in not the greatest condition! But i suppose thats auctions for you😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, neckender said:

IMHO, I think its a great record and has many ingredients that a female Northern record should have. Probably suffers from the Northern scenes bias for male vocals and the distracting elements of all the musical turds that have been masquarading as Northern, particularly in the last 25 years.                   

Also a note on the history of this record. As comments on the websites of Anglo American & John Manship suggested, that the Stella and the Gazelles was discovered first, in the 90s and sometime later, the Passionetts was unearthed.  Actually, it was the other way around; the Passionetts was listed quite a few times in the 70s on the Soul Bowl rarities page, where my copy came from for £5. I know also that Tim A. bought a copy from John.  During the 80s on US buying trips, I bought two more copies of the Soul Burst 45 and subsequently sold them to well known djs.  It was later in 1995 that I found the Frankford Wayne acetate of the Stella version. When I first played it I instantly recognised it and thought it was the passionetts acetate.  It was only when I returned back home I was able to compare it to the Soul Burst release and found it had a different lead vocal.  The acetate has the artist as Crystal Motovation, not Stella and the Gazelles (see below)

Scan 32.jpeg

Agree with Butch's endorsement of the 45 and mine too was a 70's purchase from Soul Bowl a record that has remained rare throughout, with a great lowrider a-side too.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Try the Stella & Gazelles version for a "cleaner" vocal treatment on the very same backing track for a tiny fraction of that auction price...

Wasn’t aware of this version - just had a listen. Much prefer how they handle that same section of the song after the intro 👍

Social source share

Each to his own but for me this is a really good record, great Philly, and proper mid tempo Northern, looks great too. I think that’s a rare record. I for one would be beside myself to find something like that, that good, and unknown here in 2022.

The one I had, (which I think I paid £8 for)which is the only one I ever had, went to I think Kenny Burrell, and even then it was a long way North of what it’s just sold for. When I priced it I worked on the principle I’d probably never see another one, and based also on what I knew of the history of it not being around. There was a time when you could have gone to John Manships and found a small clutch of those on his racks for not much money. The context there is that on the same racks was a Jimmy Gresham for pocket change which I eventually bought; we’re talkin mid 80’s.

I agree entirely with my man Butch’s comments about the gender issues. I actually said to a few people recently that I think a lot of folks have lost that classic girl group Motownish Sound from their heads, and sadly have little respect for it,  never to return. As for out of tune, hmmmm, interesting. I never really heard that in it, but well it never seems to have done Del Larks or Salvador’s any harm, both of which are iconic Northern Records, and goin up in price almost by the hour!  Nobody EVER mentions that about those two great records, lol. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Colouredman said:

Each to his own but for me this is a really good record, great Philly, and proper mid tempo Northern, looks great too. I think that’s a rare record. I for one would be beside myself to find something like that, that good, and unknown here in 2022.

The one I had, (which I think I paid £8 for)which is the only one I ever had, went to I think Kenny Burrell, and even then it was a long way North of what it’s just sold for. When I priced it I worked on the principle I’d probably never see another one, and based also on what I knew of the history of it not being around. There was a time when you could have gone to John Manships and found a small clutch of those on his racks for not much money. The context there is that on the same racks was a Jimmy Gresham for pocket change which I eventually bought; we’re talkin mid 80’s.

I agree entirely with my man Butch’s comments about the gender issues. I actually said to a few people recently that I think a lot of folks have lost that classic girl group Motownish Sound from their heads, and sadly have little respect for it,  never to return. As for out of tune, hmmmm, interesting. I never really heard that in it, but well it never seems to have done Del Larks or Salvador’s any harm, both of which are iconic Northern Records, and goin up in price almost by the hour!  Nobody EVER mentions that about those two great records, lol. 

Tim,

Pretty much sums it up. I like to think I am pretty open minded to most genre's of the soul persuasion and reflect that in the records I buy. Having said that I am still a sucker for a good old Femme Northern albeit Mid tempo or uptempo and Philly just makes it even better.

People move on in their taste's for various reasons but some choose to forget or dismiss records like this as something to be left in the past. We have spoke about this recently in a little depth and I have held back on posting anything about recent finds just due to the fact that because of the nature of the track it would fall on deaf ears. That's Ok and if no one ever heard it it would still mean a lot to me as I am still a real sucker for a sound that I grew up on. 

The record in question here is a good record with a solid pedigree in my opinion. As far a price is concerned I think it's pretty irrelevant giving that most things are going for prices that don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

The crazy world of Northern Soul LOL....

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 24/02/2022 at 14:02, neckender said:

IMHO, I think its a great record and has many ingredients that a female Northern record should have. Probably suffers from the Northern scenes bias for male vocals and the distracting elements of all the musical turds that have been masquarading as Northern, particularly in the last 25 years.                   

Also a note on the history of this record. As comments on the websites of Anglo American & John Manship suggested, that the Stella and the Gazelles was discovered first, in the 90s and sometime later, the Passionetts was unearthed.  Actually, it was the other way around; the Passionetts was listed quite a few times in the 70s on the Soul Bowl rarities page, where my copy came from for £5. I know also that Tim A. bought a copy from John.  During the 80s on US buying trips, I bought two more copies of the Soul Burst 45 and subsequently sold them to well known djs.  It was later in 1995 that I found the Frankford Wayne acetate of the Stella version. When I first played it I instantly recognised it and thought it was the passionetts acetate.  It was only when I returned back home I was able to compare it to the Soul Burst release and found it had a different lead vocal.  The acetate has the artist as Crystal Motovation, not Stella and the Gazelles (see below)

Scan 32.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance as I left the scene sometime ago and Discogs have a Womar release with The Topics on the B side, It is not necessarily always unusual to have 2 artists on different sides of a 45, but this has the same catalogue number 106 (which also can happen) as Tasti. It was mentioned here as a re-issue (link below) ? possible bootleg ?

Stella.jpg

tasti.jpeg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Its not a bad record by any means but its neither a particularly strong record.  I love a decent girl group record as much as others, solo as well but I just think there are many far better examples than this. The Stella take is a better stronger take.

Be boring if we all liked the same.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Manfromsoul45s said:

Tim,

Pretty much sums it up. I like to think I am pretty open minded to most genre's of the soul persuasion and reflect that in the records I buy. Having said that I am still a sucker for a good old Femme Northern albeit Mid tempo or uptempo and Philly just makes it even better.

People move on in their taste's for various reasons but some choose to forget or dismiss records like this as something to be left in the past. We have spoke about this recently in a little depth and I have held back on posting anything about recent finds just due to the fact that because of the nature of the track it would fall on deaf ears. That's Ok and if no one ever heard it it would still mean a lot to me as I am still a real sucker for a sound that I grew up on. 

The record in question here is a good record with a solid pedigree in my opinion. As far a price is concerned I think it's pretty irrelevant giving that most things are going for prices that don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

The crazy world of Northern Soul LOL....

Would agree with Chalky above - I love records like this and certainly am not saying i don’t like a whole section of soul music because of not being keen on the vocal  performance of one record… i’d be quite happy to hear lots more female records in this vein at any night. Totally agree as mentioned above - that stuff like the del larks (and let’s be honest plenty of rare northern records, male or female) have poorly performed elements… but many make up for it with sheer force of will and brilliance elsewhere. 

I’m not sure i’ve heard either version played at a venue (that i can remember) so would like to hear it out out of interest, as perhaps it takes on a different vibe as many records do.

Social source share

It's not about the vocal performance for me, but this is a pretty average song. You might say 'good flip', if it was the b side to uptempo stormer, but that's it. A really good example of a tune that would never get deck time if it wasn't rare, can't see it exciting dancers anywhere.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!