Syl Johnson age 85 RIP

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

His visit to Frobisher along with Jackie Ross to celebrate the birthday of Dave Box was one of the best gigs I've seen, fantastic.

Legendary singer who wasn't afraid to speak out about the injustice towards black America.

His talent didn't go unrecognised in future years as his songs were heavily sampled, especially Different Strokes.

R.I.P Thank you for the music. 

Photos from his visit with Jackie Ross in 2006 (Click the phot and it will take you to the album on Flickr)

Syl Johnson & Jackie Ross

Great photos  Many thanks for uploading 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

So So sad to hear of Syl Passing. Such a nice person and we'll never forget when Dave & Val box brought Syl and Jackie Ross over from the states for a one night performance on the 25th March 2006 Live  at the Frobisher suite which Jacque & myself co promoted with Dave & Val. Syl was a true professional extremely talented in both singing and playing the guitar and on stage simply had us all in the palm of his hand. As a young soulie years before I'd heard and soon after acquired a copy of  We Did It  and to see him right there singing the song was truly a very moving experience, one which I'll never forget                                                                                         Deepest condolences go out to Syl's family .                                                                                                                        R.I.P. Syl.                                                                                                                                                                                      Jacque & Fred Ward.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

via Numerical Digest Vol. 18 Issue 6

Syl Johnson 1936-2022

We lost a great one this week. If you've been following us over at our Instagram, we've been trying to share the tributes as they've come in. Major tributes from some of the biggest names in media are a testament to the impact Syl left on the musical landscape these past 80+ Years (Pitchfork, The Guardian, Rolling Stone, NYTimes).

And even after all these years, we still get folks contacting us asking for more Syl or telling us they just discovered him through a Wu-Tang song, a Snoop Video or any number of Historical docs around Pop, Soul, Hip Hop, Blues, etc...

Thought this was a good time to post up the liner notes on the Numero Stories Page from our MASSIVE tribute box set Syl Johnson: The Complete Mythology. Warning: You're going to need to spend some time with this one.

https://numerogroup.com/blogs/stories/syl-johnson-complete-mythology

Might as well queue up the stream...

https://songwhip.com/syl-johnson/complete-mythology

For those that like to keep things Physical, Check out the massive 6xLP + 4CD + Book Boxset and really dive in to what a legendary scale we are talking about with Syl.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

So sad to hear of Syl's passing. Had sometime to myself today so spent all afternoon listening to his records. So much quality output from his Federal days right through to the 70s when he was on Hi.  I think it was probably Dave Simmons'  Radio 1 show that first made me aware of him and I was lucky to find two of his Hi albums (Diamond In The Rough and Total Explosion) in a record shop sale back in '75-76 I think. Still have them and they are cherished possessions.

Kris Holmes dedicated his whole show (The Long Way Home) to him last week. A great listen.

https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/112537

RIP Syl.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!