Strange Neighborhood-q’s Or contributions

Kenb

I’m still in draft on one of my Northern Connections articles about the Imaginations. Their identity (picture), etc.

It’s a curious tale...so I’m looking for any questions or contributions from the Soul Source members to make sure I cover it off as best I can.

obviously, i’ve Seen general stuff on Discogs, and such, so (politely) no need to repeat that.

TIA.

best

kenb

Social source share

3 hours ago, The Tempest said:

Always loved there version from 68 of this track - but always wondered why the Billy Byers version was called New Neighbourhood and it was then changed to Strange for the Fraternity release  ? 

Thank you. Fraternity release was Nov 1967. There was additional copyrights on Bob Perper's Strange Neighborhood in 1984 (Yvette Ball - maybe a Pseudonym). Which i think also appears on In The Naked City, Various Artists, Kent CDKEND 299.

I'll take this into the article in some way.

Edited by Kenb
additional thought on Yvette
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Record World gave "Strange Neighborhood" a 4 star rating in their Dec. 2, 1967  issue. They obviously liked the song's beat .

Billboard gave it a favorable rating in the Special Merit Spotlight selection (Dec. 9, 1967) and Cashbox labeled it a best bet in the Dec.2, 1967 issue.

Imagine.jpg

I 2.jpg

Cash.jpg

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Original version is by Gene McDaniels and unreleased at the time isn't it?

Thanks Benji- that's something new for me. All-Music (credit to them)... A Hundred Pounds of Clay: The Best of Gene McDaniels [Capitol] Album Information released 1992, which says recorded date March 1st 1962 to Sept 10th 1965. So... as you say that seems to make it first to master/tape. There's also a EMI's 1991 Ledgendary Master series which is the same in track selections.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!