Best live soul act you have seen?

George Clintons Parliment / Funckadelics Birmingham Odean that was something special

Marvin Gaye same venue with Edwin Starr two of the very best

Earth Wind & Fire Bingley Hall Stafford

Jr Walker Baileys Leicester with Edwin

Palais Nottm all-dayer Four Tops with Edwin again

Major Lance Peterborough all-nighter

Biggest regret never seen Stevie Wonder

Social source share

1 hour ago, jjwetone said:

George Clintons Parliment / Funckadelics Birmingham Odean that was something special

Marvin Gaye same venue with Edwin Starr two of the very best

Earth Wind & Fire Bingley Hall Stafford

Jr Walker Baileys Leicester with Edwin

Palais Nottm all-dayer Four Tops with Edwin again

Major Lance Peterborough all-nighter

Biggest regret never seen Stevie Wonder

PFunk gigs we're definitely an event, Saw them at Hammersmith utter madness, started so early half crowd not in yet.  One nation live was monumental.

Social source share

On 02/02/2022 at 22:42, Geeselad said:

Forgot about the originals, amazing, the whole room seemed to gasp, as one of the vocalists erupted onto song, never seen that at any concert before. 

Yeah I was there for that one, one of the best acts I've seen. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Ric Tic review at Hinckley  was also excellent, also saw Martha Reeves at Hinckley 

she was also very good back in those days, but then again we were all a lot younger then

as i said great days, great music great, people.

ATB

Floyd

I remember a fantastic night at Wolverhampton Civic in the late 80's, I saw Martha Reeves, Marv Johnson and Jnr Walker.  Incredible night, the atmosphere was electric.  Jnr Walker was last on, they did the old James Brown thing where a guy comes on to tell him his time his up.  He disappeared still playing the sax, you could hear the sound around the building and then he appeared through the back doors of the hall, he walked through the crowd who were still on their feet, clapping and cheering.  There was a parting of the crowd as he went to the front still got down on his knees and played the sax, to a thunderous applause.  Incredible, a night never to be forgotten.

Social source share

Stand outs

teena marie at the 02

lee fields birmingham at the jazz funk soul in the park weekend

gregory porter plymouth a couple of years ago

isley bros / angela winbush (what a voice!) plymouth in the 90,s

alicia keys with just a piano at plymouth before she hit the big time world wide

verical hold with a young angie stone hammersmith

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Herb Johnson at Silk Lounge, Philadelphia, October 2001, practically walked in off the street, onto the stage, grabbed the mic, band started up and he began singing, what a fucking voice!  Not exactly dressed for the occasion, looked very much like and ordinary Dude.  Fantastic memories.  In the UK it was Al Wilson at Cleggy for me, another fantastic voice and a true gent, lovely to meet and chat to him, R.I.P. to both.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!