Ripple blast singers-vocalist?

Geeselad

Searched but can see it's been posted before, anyone know who the uncredited singer on Sadie, Sadie, is? Sounds a lot like Marvin Smith, to these ears. Any ideas? I'm curious because he's just too good to never have cut anything else. 

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

The Ripple Blast Singers do not seem to have been well documented so the last hour was largely fruitless. However Doc Bagby, a veteran piano player and orchestra leader seems to involved in many of their releases. In 1965 he did an album called 'Doc Bagby At The Hammond Organ ‎– Drifting Thru Driftersville' on Tifton, out of New Jersey. His band included vocals  by Gregory Carroll, formerly of The Orioles and J.R. Bailey. Is it possible he used these singers for his work with the Ripple Blast Singers? 

This provides an excuse to highlight J. R Bailey's excellent Calla release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB_6fI_A_pQ

Edited by Dukeburgundy
Social source share

JR bailey is a good call and thanks for the hard work, you got further than me. It could be JR, but on most of his material it seems like he was 'doing Marvin Gaye'. Sounds like he has a fantastic range but can't find an example where the vocal styles are similar enough to compare. So I reckon JR is a potential vocalist but I'm not convinced.  Be interesting to what others think tho. 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Geeselad said:

JR bailey is a good call and thanks for the hard work, you got further than me. It could be JR, but on most of his material it seems like he was 'doing Marvin Gaye'. Sounds like he has a fantastic range but can't find an example where the vocal styles are similar enough to compare. So I reckon JR is a potential vocalist but I'm not convinced.  Be interesting to what others think tho. 

J.R. Bailey a good call indeed. Not your comon singular artist or 'soul hero' but more of a versatile vocalist "renting" his vocal talent to promoters for very different work outs. His materials are rather unconsistent through his singing career showing he could "croon", 'shout' or "jive" all the same. Leaving him a good contender for this very uplifting vocal performance on 'Sadie, Sadie'. For the rest his 'soulful materials' sixties or seventies are all 5***** by any book !

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

J.R. Bailey a good call indeed. Not your comon singular artist or 'soul hero' but more of a versatile vocalist "renting" his vocal talent to promoters for very different work outs. His materials are rather unconsistent through his singing career showing he could "croon", 'shout' or "jive" all the same. Leaving him a good contender for this very uplifting vocal performance on 'Sadie, Sadie'. For the rest his 'soulful materials' sixties or seventies are all 5***** by any book !

He's a bit of a 'rent a voice' very versatile indeed, just wish I could find a recording where he's singing in that tenor style, like a smokey or Marvin Smith, as in Sadie, I'm sure he was capable of it, still exploring his repetiour ATM.   

Social source share

Not certain but there it is something similar in the voices, great artist, jimmy bailey as evidenced on this lovely ballad, it's the closest I can currently find to connect the voice. Jimmy seems to have been struggling commercially around '68 when funny girl was recorded? I'm assuming it would have been hot on the heels of the movie to cash in, possibly early 69. He had just one release on calla and one on Mala in '68 so perhaps he was sessioning, I can imagine with he would have been in demand with his range and versatility.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!