Poll: Version Battle - Your Song  

1. 1. Which Version does it for you?

• Laura Lee
    • The Dells
    • Four Tops

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 24/01/22 at 11:30

A suggestion by Douglas aka @Douglaschip gives us this the latest version battle

This time around it's the great song... 'Your Song' 

For this 'battle' there are three versions of this great song to think about, as before if you wish to take part all you have to do is  have a think/listen and then simply select your choice via the poll 

Laura Lee (1979 First release)

The Dells (July 1980)

The Four Tops (May 1984)

Your Song - Laura Lee

Your Song - The Dells

Your Song - Four Tops

four-tops-your-song.jpg

The poll will end in approx. 5 days

As always feel free to comment below on your choices, stories, your history with the tracks and so on...

Social source share

I bought the Four Tops' version on 12" as a new release in 1984 and have never liked it (although I still have it for some reason). Perhaps if I'd bought the 7" mix, my view might have been different - although I doubt it.

At that time I'd heard people say it was a cover of a Dells song, but it was some time before I actually heard it. Don't like that either - and a bit too 'discofied' for my liking as well.

Laura Lee's take is by far the most pleasing to these ears, but I think it's one of those situations it doesn't matter who sings it, I just don't like the song. Strange that, and I couldn't tell you why, but I just don't like it.

Anyway, Laura gets my vote.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I have all 3 on 45, acquired the dells 1st and then the 4 Tops in a second hand shop for 50p.Then going through Anglo American catalogue in the nineties saw Laura’s version for £5 so bought 5 copies which I have since passed on to other collectors.

This is a near impossible choice for me Marvin or Levi can’t vote for both so I will go for the Mighty Dells as this was my 1st copy and just love The Dells. It still feels an uncomfortable decision though.

Social source share

As above - have all three versions and the Four Tops definitely better on the 7inch!  Tough decision we have had a few family polls on this one and never get the same decision. In the end Four Tops for me - Levi's vocal so effortless and also a bit less disco than the Dells.  But could quite easily be a different choice next week.  Also have to factor in that Laura's version was first. Oh no might be changing my mind!!

Adam.

Social source share

Oh dear. This is a tricky one. Three classic and feted artists and a song recorded at a time when instrumentation took a back seat to disco rhythm patterns. Clearly this recording is none of the selected artists' best and, some may argue, recorded after these artists best years.

For me Laura Lee has always excelled with slower material where she can wring the full emotion from a song so that leaves me to select from The Dells and The Tops. The disco arrangements are fairly similar so the choice is between the better lead voice of Levi Stubbs or the excellent Dell harmonies. This is real toss of a coin stuff but, for me, The Four Tops edge it. 

Social source share

The use of syndrums in the Dells version rules that out. I love the Dells and Marvin is one of the great singers but those annoying interventions just ruin it for me.

Laura's version is fine enough but I dont think this is her at her best.

Which leaves the Tops. Levi is in great form and the arrangement does enough without being overblown. I'll go for them.

Social source share

Not keen on synth drum type sounds on soul records, reminds me of disco cheese - don't know why, so not the Dells.   Four Tops sounds alright, but the simple chorus on Laura Lee's version just sounds lighter and fresher, a bit more uplifting - thus meets my tiny dance brain's approval.  Laura it is.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!