Freddie Chavez/Dave Newman

Was it ever established if these are one and the same Artists?

(if this has been covered and confirmed i apologise in advance)

Look Records - 5010 - Artist Freddie Chavez (1968)

A - Baby i'm sorry (Freddie Chavez)

B - They'll never know why (Freddie Chavez)

Look Records - 5011 Artist Dave Newman (1968)

A - Can't take no for an answer (Dave Nunez)

B - Make up your mind (Freddie Chavez)

Both records John Wagner productions       Scovel/Tarheel     BMRecord label out of Nashville Tenn.

Considering 42 releases on label any other turn up sounding like these two ?

and as he has performed at NS Events due to his NS status did anyone actually ask him if rumours were true ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Back in the mists of time someone said that Freddie Chavez was the lead singer of the checkers lack of love.. don't remember where or when..

Personally I can hear similarities of the singer  between the following 3 records 

They'll never know why/Baby I'm sorry Freddie Chavez

Make up your mind Dave Norman 

And lack of love Thee Checkers. 

To me it sounds like the same person especially on  the Checkers lack of love and Baby I'm sorry, Freddie Chavez But these are the only 3 records I have on this label so not 100% sure.  

And I have always loved Baby I'm sorry. 

Massive record at the oddfellows 

Edited by Greedy Mick
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

I think that's a very good possibility- David Nunez wrote one side of the Dave Newman 45 and was also lead singer on this single by The Chekkers- 

Newman.jpg

Outta sight reissued both Freddie and Dave in 2018 so they "must" know

6 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Was it ever established if these are one and the same Artists?

(if this has been covered and confirmed i apologise in advance)

Look Records - 5010 - Artist Freddie Chavez (1968)

A - Baby i'm sorry (Freddie Chavez)

B - They'll never know why (Freddie Chavez)

Look Records - 5011 Artist Dave Newman (1968)

A - Can't take no for an answer (Dave Nunez)

B - Make up your mind (Freddie Chavez)

Both records John Wagner productions       Scovel/Tarheel     BMRecord label out of Nashville Tenn.

Considering 42 releases on label any other turn up sounding like these two ?

and as he has performed at NS Events due to his NS status did anyone actually ask him if rumours were true ?

What a fantastic question m8, it appears that some have Dave Nunez as this guy, including me

Dave.jpeg

Chekkers.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

David Nunez is David Newman. 
He and Freddie Chavez hail from New Mexico. 
Freddie(left), KR centre, John Wagner(Look records label owner)

8283BDC4-B438-4D9C-93EA-5F821A6B0989.jpeg

To be fair, meister chavez gets all the plaudits and rightly so...but

make up your mind is top drawer. If was was discovered from a buried master today it would be massive.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just want to say a 'Big Thank You' to ALL the responders to My Question which i know will be of interest to so many people over over the years and Pondered on the possibilities of 'Were Dave and Freddie one and the same' and YES now we know 🙂

Great Photographs of Freddie, John and Dave and interesting that  Freddie's single on the Local Spotlight on the  KQEO Local Spotlight was the "B" side 'The'll never know why' over the 'A' side

The info on The Chekkers was new to me so over all a great response, and as usual you Guys Came up with the answers, just Superb! Thank You! 👏

Rick  

Social source share

5 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Just want to say a 'Big Thank You' to ALL the responders to My Question which i know will be of interest to so many people over over the years and Pondered on the possibilities of 'Were Dave and Freddie one and the same' and YES now we know 🙂

Great Photographs of Freddie, John and Dave and interesting that  Freddie's single on the Local Spotlight on the  KQEO Local Spotlight was the "B" side 'The'll never know why' over the 'A' side

The info on The Chekkers was new to me so over all a great response, and as usual you Guys Came up with the answers, just Superb! Thank You! 👏

Rick  

The thanks should go to you buddy as well, for asking.

What I love about these threads is info and brains getting together, making headway (and mistakes) and resolving history for future's sake.

I say "bring it on" the more the merrier

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 11/01/2022 at 06:51, Rick Scott said:

Rick  

Cashbox (June 29,1968 issue) also saw the potential in "They'll Never Know Why" and rated it as a "Best Bet"- 

Freddie.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!