Who Is This ?

Zanetti

7 minutes ago, The Yank said:

This is not the Bridges/ Knight/ Easton group. There was a thread on SS from 2019 "Johnny & the Brothers of Soul ... Who Are they" . I don't think the identity of this group was ever solved.

Hi Yank - greetings,

first of all happy new year. i hope you are well?

All right - then I'll do some digging, maybe someone else will come around the corner with feedback.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

hi there-had this record a few years ago (2015/2016)-bought it with a view to sell on-paid a fair few dollars if i remember and struggled to move it on-eventually got my money out of it(as you do) but it did not fly out-got it from a dealer from rochester-ny state where the record is from-too funky for my liking but probably bang on for todays tastes-same guy offered me another copy on my last trip to usa pre-lockdown-i turned it down as he wanted more than the last copy i bought and i got cold  feet-a local lad bought it straight off him at his asking price ($1200)-other side if i remember is a half decent group soul thing but with a very sparce backing-im getting old now and set in my ways so not my kind of record-been up new york state several times  and know several collectors up there and it is deffo a hard record to turn up-just not my bag thats all!!

give me some kind of wonderful any day of the week over this record!!  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

I've never seen nor heard that record.  The voice sounds vaguely familiar. It has a sound that could be anywhere between 1965 and 1968.

at the end johnny says..as wilson pickett says dont knock my love so that makes it late 1971 at the earliest... he`s very much a pickett soundalike... apparently johnny is still alive living in the north carolina area if the you tube clip postings can be believed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/01/2022 at 19:14, Dave Pinch said:

at the end johnny says..as wilson pickett says dont knock my love so that makes it late 1971 at the earliest... he`s very much a pickett soundalike... apparently johnny is still alive living in the north carolina area if the you tube clip postings can be believed

Surfside Myrtle Beach South Carolina and Discogs have it as 1971

"US label from Rochester, NY. Also appears as "Lifetime" only.
Lifetime Recordings was founded in 1952 by Lester W. Osband (1913-2009). As a local custom recording company, Lifetime recorded various Rochester High School bands, church choirs, etc. before launching his own Lifetime label in 1959 The initial release was by The Capris, a black vocal group, now a rare item."

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Incredible record imho , so hard to turn up records of this quality these days. It’s an exspensive record now, wonder what the flip was like , if anyone knows kindly post a clip up. Oh lordey Brilliant !!! 

I think it is the b side...I'd also like to hear the a side.

Not sure if this is the same mob, but before Johnny joined up..

Ed

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I’ve been around the block a few times, 62 and veteran St.Ives, Samantha’s, Cleo’s, Britt Nott’s, Wirrina, Yate blah, blah, blah but this tune! It’s up there for me with the best, close second to Mel Britt in my all time tunes, soul personified, amazing record. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!