Tracks On CD

Around 20 years ago Kev Roberts brought out the first edition of the Top 500 Northern Soul Records & I decided to try and get every track mentioned in the book on CD, whether in the top 500 or not for a bit of fun. After all it should be fairly easy & cheap to do compared to getting the vinyl..... wrong on both counts. Twenty years later there are still tracks I don't have & to make it worse Kev brought out a second edition to add to the list of unobtainables. With rumour of a third edition beig prepared I'd like your help to find the last few tracks on CD.

I set myself one rule; it has to be a CD sold in shops & on line  -  no soul night freebies, which is what makes it so difficult as if I had the cash I could buy any record because I know it exists, but with CDs, someone has had to consider it worthy of putting on an album or compilation & then I have to find it! Although I can't complain as it's lead me to buy albums & box sets for a single track and I've found some amazing music through them

The tracks I have left to find are:

• Mello Souls - We Can Make It
  • Joseph Webster - My Love Is So Strong           
  • Soul Inc - My Proposal                      
  • Connie Questell - Give Up Girl
  • Keni Lewis - Not The Marrying Kind

I know the purists will look at my quest with disdain, but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it

Thanks in advance

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Not a "purist" but can wholeheartedly agree with your quest. 10 years ago I decided to sell my collection and traded it in for a large collection of CDs and then set out to find my favourite vinyl tracks in CD. I largely completed that task and now have over 20,000 mainly northern tracks committed to digital. 

Can confirm that the Mellow Souls is seriously hard to find and I had to resort to "ripping" a youtube video. The Cameo Parkway catalogue  is not easy to find in a legitimate format.

Keni Lewis is a great track but not on legitimate release as far as I know, as you say available on "on the door release"

Good Luck

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Davebanks said:

Not a "purist" but can wholeheartedly agree with your quest. 10 years ago I decided to sell my collection and traded it in for a large collection of CDs and then set out to find my favourite vinyl tracks in CD. I largely completed that task and now have over 20,000 mainly northern tracks committed to digital. 

Can confirm that the Mellow Souls is seriously hard to find and I had to resort to "ripping" a youtube video. The Cameo Parkway catalogue  is not easy to find in a legitimate format.

Keni Lewis is a great track but not on legitimate release as far as I know, as you say available on "on the door release"

Good Luck

THanks for that, It's good to know I'm not on my own

Social source share

Can't remember the date but must have been early 00s Stuart Marconi had Richard Searling as a guest and I'm sure it was on Radio 2 , and accidentally played the whole of Keni Lewis with out interruption and I was recording the show by chance , Richard must have have given him bollocking off air lol, I ripped a couple onto cd and that was the only way I could get one , I'm sure not on legit release , I do now have the 45 by the way , if you want still want a copy on cd , pm me 

Edited by Happy Feet
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Happy Feet said:

Can't remember the date but must have been early 00s Stuart Marconi had Richard Sealing as a guest and I'm sure it was on Radio 2 , and accidentally played the whole of Keni Lewis with out interruption and I was recording the show by chance , Richard must have have given him bollocking off air lol, I ripped a couple onto cd and that was the only way I could get one , I'm sure not on legit release , I do now have the 45 by the way , if you want still want a copy on cd , pm me 

Thanks for the offer. At present I’m determined to stick to my guns with legit releases. Although if there are loads of tracks I haven’t got in the next revision I may give up on the rules

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

True, I know they’ve had the rights for Connie Questell. Who knows it may work 

Wasn't thinking about Connie.

Of the other tracks you listed:

Mello Souls - We Can Make It
Joseph Webster - My Love Is So Strong           
Soul Inc - My Proposal                     
Keni Lewis - Not The Marrying Kind

I'd say that Mello Souls is just too obscure to find out who owns the rights. But, just a gut feeling, there might be a chance to secure the rights to Joseph Webster and Soul Inc.? Personally, I couldn't be bothered about K. Lewis comp'd. Never really liked it, way too fast and not that special (IMO!)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

Soul Inc - My Proposal                     

I'd say that Mello Souls is just too obscure to find out who owns the rights. But, just a gut feeling, there might be a chance to secure the rights to Joseph Webster and Soul Inc.? Personally, I couldn't be bothered about K. Lewis comp'd. Never really liked it, way too fast and not that special (IMO!)

In my younger (fitter) years Keni Lewis would’ve been right up my street, but I accept what you say now. 
To be honest I’d take anything they’d be able to release 

Social source share

22 minutes ago, davidwapples said:

It was the goldmine Stafford cd that had pyramid on it but that's by soul bros inc and not the artist soul inc you are looking for which I think is on coconut groove records and there isn't any compilations of stuff on that label

I have the Stafford Story CD. I’ll check it out 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Does it have to be legal CD. ie. A physical medium ?

Spotify have "The Marrying Kind" available to stream, and you can buy the digital recording from amazon for 99p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HYMGJLT/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Unfortunately it has to be a physical CD. I still prefer CDs to downloads - there’s no sleeve notes on Spotify 😁

Social source share

15 hours ago, Benji said:

Soul Inc - My Proposal                     

Steve Jeffries website has a 'licensed' Joseph Webster, 'fully licensed from his owners in the USA, at considerable expense'. So, the rights may be out there to be secured for a CD issue!!

Social source share

45 minutes ago, Tim Richmond said:

Steve Jeffries website has a 'licensed' Joseph Webster, 'fully licensed from his owners in the USA, at considerable expense'. So, the rights may be out there to be secured for a CD issue!!

Maybe I’ll try to persuade Mr Jeffries to go in to CD production  

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

Maybe I’ll try to persuade Mr Jeffries to go in to CD production  

The success of Kent comps alone should convince him of the market for this kind of release. If he's in the business of securing rare rights, there might be a very tasty comp to be made of them. Alternatively, perhaps he could agree to allow Kent to license it from him.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

The success of Kent comps alone should convince him of the market for this kind of release. If he's in the business of securing rare rights, there might be a very tasty comp to be made of them. Alternatively, perhaps he could agree to allow Kent to license it from him.

Having seen the prices on his website, the guy is definitely out to make money. Maybe if he could do it with little effort he’d go for it 

Social source share

Leroy Taylor is the artist on Not the marrying kind, not Keni Lewis. 

There has been two official presses on the federal green label. 

One Christmas I decided to get all the releases for my wife of her favourite artist, Divine Comedy. She already had some cd's but I managed to find all the rest, bar one. So I downloaded it and burned to a cd for her. She was very happy! 

If I was completing the same quest as you and I was six tracks short, because they didn't exist on official cds then I would find the best copies and burn them to a cd myself. There's no use searching for something that currently doesn't exist when you can get them another way, at least until they might become available. You only have one life:-)

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 hours ago, Lovemusic said:

Leroy Taylor is the artist on Not the marrying kind, not Keni Lewis. 

There has been two official presses on the federal green label. 

One Christmas I decided to get all the releases for my wife of her favourite artist, Divine Comedy. She already had some cd's but I managed to find all the rest, bar one. So I downloaded it and burned to a cd for her. She was very happy! 

If I was completing the same quest as you and I was six tracks short, because they didn't exist on official cds then I would find the best copies and burn them to a cd myself. There's no use searching for something that currently doesn't exist when you can get them another way, at least until they might become available. You only have one life:-)

It's getting tempting, especially as I'm so close

Social source share

On 09/12/2021 at 00:51, Tim Richmond said:

I'm pretty sure the rights are controlled by Secret Stash, who own the Flaming Arrow catalogue.
They're not the most responsive of licensors...

On 09/12/2021 at 02:13, Mickey Finn said:

I can't speak for everyone, but the success of a comp on Kent is no indication as to whether a similar set will do well if issued by another label.
Given their history and quality, Ace/Kent (deservedly) have an automatic audience for anything they put out. If another label doesn't have the profile or clout of Ace/Kent; anything they release is only going to sell a fraction of what Kent would if they issued the same title.

Edited by Nathan
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 08/12/2021 at 13:51, Tim Richmond said:

I heard he got into bother with that one as it wasn't licensed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!