Ian Levine On 'myspace'

• Replies 114
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I think the Northern scene is a much worse place without Ian Levine in it. The way he was harangued and almost chased away last time he came back was despicable. So he rubs people up the wrong way and will never admit he's wrong, he's a bighead and he's rude..but but there's never a dull moment when he's around:

his knowledge of soul music is immense

his enthusiasm is boundless

his taste is pretty much impeccable

he knows how to put a spot together perfectly

along with Richard Searling, he is the most important and best dj in the history of the Northern Soul scene

People like Levine should be encouraged and celebrated, not crucified and have the piss taken out of.

Bring back levine (again) I say.

Personnally dont like the guy,but a lot of sounds played at "upfront venue's in" the early -mid eighties came from his collection via Bernie Golding.He may be a tosser now (to some johnny come latelely's)but theres no doubting his knowledge,passion and determination.AsPete says he's up ther with the best :thumbsup:
Social source share

Erm

He was already in london by the way

Love him or loath him , but no one can deny the major contribution that IL has had on , and played in the soul scene .

With regard to the photograph , whether the same can be applied to Ian in relation to fashion , I am not sure ......

When I saw the shirt and pose within it , all I could think of was Monty Python and the immortal

" Lumberjack Song " .....

" I cut down trees , I eat my lunch , I go to the lavatory ..... on wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea "

Joking aside , my sincere thanks Ian , for turning up many of the tunes that have given me auditory pleasure . thumbsup.gif

Malc Burton

Social source share

There's a new link page gone up on the main site...recordshack something or other, with a great clip fom the Expansion DVD of Willie Hutch doing 'Love Runs Out' at Fleetwood !

Social source share

Guest mel brat

He played Unique Blend which was a big spin for Butch at the time and not yet as widely known as it went on to be. Ian claimed he'd played it at the Mecca. Who knows if he did or not...

Unique Blend was a mecca spin. How clever of Butch to discover it!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

======================

some great points there mate some i agree with some not but heres my take on ian levine

when ian returned i didnt really know what to expect but then i heard his shows and jazz fm and played stuff i hadnt heard ever and found them quite inspirational ,

i liked his passion and his style of music to be honest,,couple this with his history on the scene i found and still find ian a fascinating character but am sorry we never got to see more of his knowledge and good sounds come through.

ian is/was a difficult guy to get on with but i felt once you got past the barrier of mistrust there was a real nice guy in there but on his myspace he does say he doesnt have time for guys he didnt connect with,hence his 'arrogant' nature to some.

the 'four vandals' was the death knell for ian and was the last in a line of clashes with the current scene at the time ,, ,i personally found it a shame as i feel he could have contributed alot more to the scene and he certainly inspired me to look for underplayed 60's & 70's oldies from the mecca ...

i dont think ian will ever come back but thanks ian for the memories however short they were..

regards

mark

Social source share

Guest mel brat

THANKS PETE.DID YOU SIT INSIDE HIS DALEK WHEN YOU VISITED HIS LONDON HOME[LOL]WE COULDNT BELIEVE IT WHEN SAT IN HIS LIVING ROOM WAS A ORIGINAL DALEK,ITS GUN WAS POINTING AT US ALSO....

BAZ A.

Was it 'im...?

post-4950-1171498668_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert