Ian Levine On 'myspace'

• Replies 114
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Trouble is, they had to use the effects on many of the pieces because they were in peoples living rooms. They went way over the top, but some of them were done out of necessity. Bobby Sheen, for instance, was living in a delapidated shack more or less in Compton, Chirs Lalor was there when it was filmed and he said it was filthy and like a crack house. Well it probably was as Bobby was a user up until his death.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply, they did go over the top, however, I see the reason now for some of the effects. shades.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Stuart. I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised. I knew McOrish was a bad influence on you. :thumbup:

smile.gif it was fun while it lasted and nothing that was said and done is really a reason to bear long term animosity or grudges. If I saw Ian was drowning I'd jump in after him, and I doubt that McOirish can even swim. huh.gif

Social source share

Good that "The Strange World Of Northern Soul" was filmed.

I just wish that they hadn't used those annoying effects.

Hope film exists without the effects,

He just caught many Artists who are no longer with us,

so all in all I'm pleased that someone filmed them.

I thought ian done well on strange world of northern soul i think he budget for about £38.93 hang on that dont sound right am 1 or 2 noughts out somewhere.

Billy whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest biggray1

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I think the Northern scene is a much worse place without Ian Levine in it. The way he was harangued and almost chased away last time he came back was despicable. So he rubs people up the wrong way and will never admit he's wrong, he's a bighead and he's rude..but but there's never a dull moment when he's around:

his knowledge of soul music is immense

his enthusiasm is boundless

his taste is pretty much impeccable

he knows how to put a spot together perfectly

along with Richard Searling, he is the most important and best dj in the history of the Northern Soul scene

People like Levine should be encouraged and celebrated, not crucified and have the piss taken out of.

Bring back levine (again) I say.

I'll Second that Sir :rolleyes:

Social source share

Nobody likes a big headed know all and his statement of 'Levine declares war on London soul clubs' was a bit ridiculous. Playing the Snake at the Rocket etc ... Small wonder he lost 'the war' coming to London armed with the Snake ...

Was that a headline ? If so, I doubt Ian wrote it then did he !

As for Ian playing "The Snake" at The Rocket...thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a week of ridiculous things. :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest mel brat

In short:

He was good in the 70s. It was easier to be good in the 70s. He's not done anything of note in 30 yrs. His knowledge is not all it's cracked up to be either. Huge ego. Out of date. Could be a bit naughty. Winds people up. Shouldn't be slagged for being gay.

Why was it "easier to be good (as a DJ) in the 70's"? Levine was one of those people who took the trouble to go to the States and find the rare records in the first place! (True, his considerable finances helped in this endeavour!) - Read quotes from interview with Colin Curtis (below)

I agree that Ian has a large ego - but so have many lesser mortals!

Extracts from Colin Curtis interview:

https://www.djhistory.com/djhistory/archive...interview_id=50

"Where a normal person would go and do a few record shops, this guy (Ian) was going into warehouses. In the foyer of his parents’ home, there would be 20 to 30 piles of records – 7-inch singles – this high (motions to chest height) each time he came back.

So Levine was going over regularly then?

"Three or four times a year. He’d come back and we’d spend up to a week going through these records. Playing them religiously. Making piles of records for different scenarios...."

"There were pockets of people who started a Levine Must Go campaign. T-shirts etc. it was just part of it, it wasn’t venomous, it really wasn’t. Maybe they thought it was, but for us the publicity was fantastic. Levine was the type of personality they could attack. I wasn’t the type of person they could attack. Levine was the perfect target, a big balloon who you can fire arrows at. I love this guy to bits, but he’s a self-publicist and he puts himself up there and people will shoot..."

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I think the Northern scene is a much worse place without Ian Levine in it. The way he was harangued and almost chased away last time he came back was despicable. So he rubs people up the wrong way and will never admit he's wrong, he's a bighead and he's rude..but but there's never a dull moment when he's around:

his knowledge of soul music is immense

his enthusiasm is boundless

...along with Richard Searling, he is the most important and best dj in the history of the Northern Soul scene

People like Levine should be encouraged and celebrated, not crucified and have the piss taken out of.

Bring back levine (again) I say.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've known Ian for 39 years. We've never fallen out about anything at all. We might not see each other very often these days, but he's still someone I'd never think of as anything other than a friend.

The Northern Soul scene might never have gotten as far as it did in the early days without Ian's inexhaustible love of the music, and (of course) his huge record collection. However many people he may have irritated along the way, nobody can say that he hasn't given more than his fair share towards 'keeping the faith'...

TONY

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Ian Levine ever ever played The Snake at the Rocket, not once. He played Judy Street one time, but never never

never The Snake. So where did that little rumour come from?

Well someone played it at The Rocket.

About 4am in the main room upstairs. I clearly (amazingly) remember Joey Scarbury Midnight Mail being played in the same set - that would suggest it was Levine (unless Ian Jackson was on ever?)

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Well i must say after looking at Ian's My Space and seeing the dedication that Ian as put into his work etc i find it very hard to read and hear that Ian has Insulted and called anyone at all,but the eveidence has been posted and i have read it,surley its better to to forgive and forget! If it wasnt for Mr Levine Northern Soul wouldnt have half the interest that it has today,his energy and his drive to introduce new sounds to our scene was unsirpassed,as a regular to the Mecca and listening to Ian,Tony and Colin was brilliant,never a dull moment,and a Full Dance floor too boot,where and who is doing this today!!!where can anyone visit a venue today where the Dj promoteres are contiualy introducing new sounds,cant think of one...can you...I move that Ian be contacted and introduced too this Fantastic Forum too share his knowledge and his Storys old and New. We are getting older so why waste our time moaning etc..Lets move on with interest.

Who Supports My Proposal...... :lol::unsure:

Edited by biggray1
Social source share

Well i must say after looking at Ian's My Space and seeing the dedication that Ian as put into his work etc i find it very hard to read and hear that Ian has Insulted and called anyone at all,but the eveidence has been posted and i have read it,surley its better to to forgive and forget! If it wasnt for Mr Levine Northern Soul wouldnt have half the interest that it has today,his energy and his drive to introduce new sounds to our scene was unsirpassed,as a regular to the Mecca and listening to Ian,Tony and Colin was brilliant,never a dull moment,and a Full Dance floor too boot,where and who is doing this today!!!where can anyone visit a venue today where the Dj promoteres are contiualy introducing new sounds,cant think of one...can you...I move that Ian be contacted and introduced too this Fantastic Forum too share his knowledge and his Storys old and New. We are getting older so why waste our time moaning etc..Lets move on with interest.

Who Supports My Proposal...... :(:thumbsup:

I do but he won't come on

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Well someone played it at The Rocket.

About 4am in the main room upstairs. I clearly (amazingly) remember Joey Scarbury Midnight Mail being played in the same set - that would suggest it was Levine (unless Ian Jackson was on ever?)

I agree all there is to be said has been said ,

He did play this though............Chris Montez - The More I See You - Pye International

Social source share

I agree all there is to be said has been said ,

He did play this though............Chris Montez - The More I See You - Pye International

Yep, you're quite right he did play it..... once ....but not at The Rocket . :thumbsup::wicked::( And it filled the dancefloor.

Social source share

Yep, you're quite right he did play it..... once ....but not at The Rocket . :thumbsup::wicked::( And it filled the dancefloor.

Was that at Stoke... about 4 years ago?

Social source share

I can't remember Rachel, it might well have been. It was a huge joke and discussion topic on ANS at the time..even Ian himself couldn't believe it !

Can remember seeing him DJ there and remember the discussion about him playing it around that time, but couldn't honestly say if I heard it on that night (oh dear I'm going to be in trouble in twenty years time aren't I... :thumbsup: ).. unfortunately my lasting memory of his set is the sound system playing up and Ian saying "it's not my fault" rather a lot....

Edited by rachel
Social source share

.....where can anyone visit a venue today where the Dj promoteres are contiualy introducing new sounds,cant think of one...can you...

Lifeline springs to mind. And a few others.... 100 club (RIP) etc etc

Of course, everything was better in the 'golden age' ... :thumbsup:

Hammy

Social source share

Did Colin Curtis used to be in Thin Lizzy ?

I cant remember his girlfriends name but you could be right. Lizzy was a right drawer dropper back then bet she is fat now though

Social source share

Agree , Like Pete Said , When Alls Said And Done He Deserves To Be Up There With Searling And Hennigan :)

Guy Hennigan at Sweetsoul and hopefully Mr Searling in a future date

Guy agreed to do 2nd Fri in May and deem it an honour as Guy hasnt appeared in Newark since the alldayer for Dean Andersons Birthday many years ago

we had em all and Butch Kitch Guy Dougie Sewell Ion and all played for nothing and nothing was charged on the door

waste

Chris Montez More I see You good pop dance record and will fill most floors at 6ts nights

Call Me original vocal version By Chris Montez I Have played at a couple of events and has gone down as well as Eddie Bishops as at same pace,

Ian Levine

when I dropped Brenda Holloway of at his place many years ago he ripped her off and I got a 60 quid ticket for parking so straight in me bad books and met him again at Cleethorpes wekender and fell out with his attitude at rehearsals so not well liked on the east coast,

and anyway Robbie williams is all down to him add that to his epitaph.

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

where can anyone visit a venue today where the Dj promoteres are contiualy introducing new sounds,cant think of one...can you...I move that Ian be contacted and introduced too this Fantastic Forum too share his knowledge and his Storys old and New. We are getting older so why waste our time moaning etc..Lets move on with interest.

Who Supports My Proposal...... :yes::unsure:

you rarely travel outside your local area so how can you pass judgement on what promoters are trying to do? Plenty of people trying to progress and move the scene on. Ian Levine part of the scene's history and he has my respect for what he's done in the past but he's nothing to contribute now other than contraversy on forums and we've done all that already so he's best left where he is IMO.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest biggray1

you rarely travel outside your local area so how can you pass judgement on what promoters are trying to do? Plenty of people trying to progress and move the scene on. Ian Levine part of the scene's history and he has my respect for what he's done in the past but he's nothing to contribute now other than contraversy on forums and we've done all that already so he's best left where he is IMO.

Hi Chalky,thanx for your reply,and to answer your comment on my travels around the countrys soul venues!!

1..I didnt know that there was people or persons watching my every visit to soul nites weekends and niteres!

2..Many thanx for keeping your well trained eye on us!we feel safe knowing that someone cares.

3..And also how can you pass judgement on what promoters are trying to do..I think i have only ever seen yo twice at any venue,admited i tend to support our local venues but we do travel and support others!

4..If any of my comments or remarks have offended you Mr Chalkster concerning Ian Levine or Promoters etc or my visits and support to our beloved scene local or Uk based etc then i am sorry.

5..I also reserve the rites to choose.

Thanx Graham

Social source share

Hi Chalky,thanx for your reply,and to answer your comment on my travels around the countrys soul venues!!

1..I didnt know that there was people or persons watching my every visit to soul nites weekends and niteres!

2..Many thanx for keeping your well trained eye on us!we feel safe knowing that someone cares.

3..And also how can you pass judgement on what promoters are trying to do..I think i have only ever seen yo twice at any venue,admited i tend to support our local venues but we do travel and support others!

4..If any of my comments or remarks have offended you Mr Chalkster concerning Ian Levine or Promoters etc or my visits and support to our beloved scene local or Uk based etc then i am sorry.

5..I also reserve the rites to choose.

Thanx Graham

Nothing has offended me Graham and hope I haven't offended your good self, I have how ever seen you a few times over the years at local venues and weekenders. What I mean is if anyone doesn't travel too much these days you can't possibly generalise what other promoters do. Granted records aren't there to be discovered like they were in the mecca wigan days but DJ's are trying to play and introduce new stuff and keep the scene fresh. There are also many records from the 80's for instance that are unknown to many of todays scene but many punters only want what they know and it is hard to try and progress.

Ian alos has my utmost respect for what he's done but how far would any topic get by Ian or about him get before the abuse starts? Thats what I'm saying we can do with out. If forums could have a discussion based purely on the stories and records introduced by Ian then I'd be up for that.

Social source share

looks like a worn out topic to me this.Vistited iAN last year and the whole day was a total hoot,he may be arrogant and a bit controversial but f--k me he doesnt half make you laugh.His knowledge [not just 45 knowledge,but producers,writers,session men etc is second to none]

Left with the feeling that my knowledge faded into insignificane next to him.As we were rifling though his 45s [about 100.000 of them] it was apparent that the bigger northern soul things had been well gone but ,i done well sweet and deep wise,and picked up nice stuff every record i got he give me the full history etc.Still had a great lp collection also.

I partly agree with Chalky about the current contribution as we are involved with a fast moving scene,but in terms of achievement and absolute definitive knowledge he cannot be matched imho.I think anyone who has been the centre of a scene like this for so long will always be the subject of ridicule,i just wonder how many people who pass judgement on him,have the same knowledge and have actually met him.

BAZ A.

Social source share

looks like a worn out topic to me this.Vistited iAN last year and the whole day was a total hoot,he may be arrogant and a bit controversial but f--k me he doesnt half make you laugh.His knowledge [not just 45 knowledge,but producers,writers,session men etc is second to none]

Left with the feeling that my knowledge faded into insignificane next to him.As we were rifling though his 45s [about 100.000 of them] it was apparent that the bigger northern soul things had been well gone but ,i done well sweet and deep wise,and picked up nice stuff every record i got he give me the full history etc.Still had a great lp collection also.

I partly agree with Chalky about the current contribution as we are involved with a fast moving scene,but in terms of achievement and absolute definitive knowledge he cannot be matched imho.I think anyone who has been the centre of a scene like this for so long will always be the subject of ridicule,i just wonder how many people who pass judgement on him,have the same knowledge and have actually met him.

BAZ A.

Well said Baz, that was an excellent speech and I agree with every word. I still don't know how he managed to prise certain records out of me. I think it was saying "you don't really want it, I NEED it" about 4000 times maybe.

Social source share

Well said Baz, that was an excellent speech and I agree with every word. I still don't know how he managed to prise certain records out of me. I think it was saying "you don't really want it, I NEED it" about 4000 times maybe.

THANKS PETE.DID YOU SIT INSIDE HIS DALEK WHEN YOU VISITED HIS LONDON HOME[LOL]WE COULDNT BELIEVE IT WHEN SAT IN HIS LIVING ROOM WAS A ORIGINAL DALEK,ITS GUN WAS POINTING AT US ALSO LOL.AS WE RIFLED THROUGH SOME OF HIS RECORDS HIS PERSONNEL TRAINER WAS TAKING HIM FOR HIS AFTERNOON BOXERCISE,HIS DOGS WERE RUNNING ABOUT THE HOUSE AND HIS CROATION HOUSEMAID WAS MAKING US SHOLIN COFFEE .FOR 4 LADS FROM THE NORTH EAST WE FITTED RIGHT IN .TOTAL CHARACTER AND YOU KNOW WHAT HE EVEB DUG OUT HIS DOG RARE SAMMY DAVIS JUNIOR RECORDS AND STARTED SINGING THEM .WELL WHAT CAN YOU SAY.

BAZ A. :wicked:

Social source share

With all deference to his past influence on the scene, which was well before I became acquainted with Northern/Rare Soul or whatever, but I heard him 5/6 times when he returned.

First time was at the 100 Club. He played nothing very daring and it was pretty much a nostalgic walk and talk through the story of Northern Soul, bit like a former prime minister doing the lecture circuit. He played Unique Blend which was a big spin for Butch at the time and not yet as widely known as it went on to be. Ian claimed he'd played it at the Mecca. Who knows if he did or not - he could claim to have played anything there and, unless someone confirmed they'd heard it sometime, somenight, we'd be none the wiser. One thing we do know though is he couldn't claim to have played the Four Vandals there. To be fair, the floor at the 100 Club was packed that night, Adey had broken with 100 Club "tradition" and given Ian a 2 hour slot and the reception he received was rapturous.

Caught him 3 times at the Marrs Bar and thought his sets were pants - far too long (Ian insisted he had a 2 hour slot at all venues that booked him), far too much lecturing between records, no structure/coordination to the sets, no sensitivity to the type of records that had been making the grade since his first departure from the scene. The dancers simply melted away each time and the venue began to suffer as I'm sure the promoters will confirm having taken the risk of making Ian their resident DJ.

He was obviously a great Northern Soul DJ in his time, but second time around, in very different times and circumstances, he did the one thing a good DJ shouldn't do - ignored his (paying) audience, a lot of whom didn't know who he was from any other aspiring jock. I don't think he was hounded out by anybody. In fact, given the foregoing, he was given bucket loads of opportunities by all sorts of people. Fact was his DJ slots dried up because he couldn't work a dancefloor, promoters couldn't afford the risk of booking him and then his own venue failed for the same reasons.

Social source share

With all deference to his past influence on the scene, which was well before I became acquainted with Northern/Rare Soul or whatever, but I heard him 5/6 times when he returned.

First time was at the 100 Club. He played nothing very daring and it was pretty much a nostalgic walk and talk through the story of Northern Soul, bit like a former prime minister doing the lecture circuit. He played Unique Blend which was a big spin for Butch at the time and not yet as widely known as it went on to be. Ian claimed he'd played it at the Mecca. Who knows if he did or not - he could claim to have played anything there and, unless someone confirmed they'd heard it sometime, somenight, we'd be none the wiser. One thing we do know though is he couldn't claim to have played the Four Vandals there. To be fair, the floor at the 100 Club was packed that night, Adey had broken with 100 Club "tradition" and given Ian a 2 hour slot and the reception he received was rapturous.

Caught him 3 times at the Marrs Bar and thought his sets were pants - far too long (Ian insisted he had a 2 hour slot at all venues that booked him), far too much lecturing between records, no structure/coordination to the sets, no sensitivity to the type of records that had been making the grade since his first departure from the scene. The dancers simply melted away each time and the venue began to suffer as I'm sure the promoters will confirm having taken the risk of making Ian their resident DJ.

He was obviously a great Northern Soul DJ in his time, but second time around, in very different times and circumstances, he did the one thing a good DJ shouldn't do - ignored his (paying) audience, a lot of whom didn't know who he was from any other aspiring jock. I don't think he was hounded out by anybody. In fact, given the foregoing, he was given bucket loads of opportunities by all sorts of people. Fact was his DJ slots dried up because he couldn't work a dancefloor, promoters couldn't afford the risk of booking him and then his own venue failed for the same reasons.

Another really good, honest and well thought out post...by someone who was there. I heard Ian at one Ritz, one Stoke and one Blackpool weekender and couldn't fault his spots. Probably different sets though.

Social source share

======================

some great points there mate some i agree with some not but heres my take on ian levine

when ian returned i didnt really know what to expect but then i heard his shows and jazz fm and played stuff i hadnt heard ever and found them quite inspirational ,

i liked his passion and his style of music to be honest,,couple this with his history on the scene i found and still find ian a fascinating character but am sorry we never got to see more of his knowledge and good sounds come through.

ian is/was a difficult guy to get on with but i felt once you got past the barrier of mistrust there was a real nice guy in there but on his myspace he does say he doesnt have time for guys he didnt connect with,hence his 'arrogant' nature to some.

the 'four vandals' was the death knell for ian and was the last in a line of clashes with the current scene at the time ,, ,i personally found it a shame as i feel he could have contributed alot more to the scene and he certainly inspired me to look for underplayed 60's & 70's oldies from the mecca ...

i dont think ian will ever come back but thanks ian for the memories however short they were..

regards

mark

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Nothing has offended me Graham and hope I haven't offended your good self, I have how ever seen you a few times over the years at local venues and weekenders. What I mean is if anyone doesn't travel too much these days you can't possibly generalise what other promoters do. Granted records aren't there to be discovered like they were in the mecca wigan days but DJ's are trying to play and introduce new stuff and keep the scene fresh. There are also many records from the 80's for instance that are unknown to many of todays scene but many punters only want what they know and it is hard to try and progress.

Ian alos has my utmost respect for what he's done but how far would any topic get by Ian or about him get before the abuse starts? Thats what I'm saying we can do with out. If forums could have a discussion based purely on the stories and records introduced by Ian then I'd be up for that.

Ok Chalky,thanx for your oppinion,and no offence taken. Graham.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

what he has done back in the 70's is great, can't knock it but for what he carries on mid 80's onwards surely he let himself go and i wouldn't say he's become better but worse but nowt wrong in thinking back in the past.

Social source share

JUST LOOKED AT IAN LEVINE`S MY SPACE PAGE AND HIS FRIENDS AND THE LINKS TO THERE FRIENDS AND FURTHER LINKS TO FRIENDS OF FRIENDS AND MORE FRIENDS AND MORE LINKS TO EVEN MORE FRIENDS AND ROUND AND ROUND AND BACK AND FORTH UP AND DOWN TIL EVENTUALLY YOU`VE SEEN ALL THE FRIENDS OF FRIENDS AND THERE FRIENDS.

TO QUOTE THE GREAT PHILOSOPHER (AND FRIEND) JIM ROYAL - MY SPACE , MY ARSE.

ALL THE BEST

KJE.

Social source share

JUST LOOKED AT IAN LEVINE`S MY SPACE PAGE AND HIS FRIENDS AND THE LINKS TO THERE FRIENDS AND FURTHER LINKS TO FRIENDS OF FRIENDS AND MORE FRIENDS AND MORE LINKS TO EVEN MORE FRIENDS AND ROUND AND ROUND AND BACK AND FORTH UP AND DOWN TIL EVENTUALLY YOU`VE SEEN ALL THE FRIENDS OF FRIENDS AND THERE FRIENDS.

TO QUOTE THE GREAT PHILOSOPHER (AND FRIEND) JIM ROYAL - MY SPACE , MY ARSE.

ALL THE BEST

KJE.

Well done mate, you've worked out how 'Myspace' works.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I can't remember if he played that at The Rocket but he definately played it at The Marrs Bar. I got the feeling he was trying to take the piss out of the friendly crowd there who will pretty much give anything a go. Not nice IMO.

Following on from what Mark W. said, i don't think he really understood the Marrs Bar crowd, the small intimate venue, people in friendly huddles chatting, lots of people prepared to dance to across the board music. He's more one for the big stage (like the Rocket) and i agree the two hour spot was too much.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert