Ian Levine On 'myspace'

There are some amazing pictures from the Blackpool Mecca with Jnr Walker, J J Barnes, Colin Curtis, Les Cockell, Dave Godin plus people like The Exciters, Mickey Stevenson, and... MICHEAL JACKSON up in the album section !

www.myspace.com/ian_levine  

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There are some amazing pictures from the Blackpool Mecca with Jnr Walker, J J Barnes, Colin Curtis, Les Cockell, Dave Godin plus people like The Exciters, Mickey Stevenson, and... MICHEAL JACKSON up in the album section !

I see there is a link to there to your site.....whoa dude, time to throw the towel in.

Col :lol:

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

call me me slow but that looks like a gay website what's your connection ?

:lol:

Social source share

Hell of a good photo of you Simon. :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

There are some amazing pictures from the Blackpool Mecca...

I'm staggered by the brutal honesty of Ian's profile entry. I'll give him due credit for that. Having trouble finding these pictures though... Where are they? :thumbsup:

Social source share

There's a link called 'albums' in the top bit of the page. I love the one of him looking like a mod with Mickey Stevenson (and one of Hodges James and Smith I think !) from 1969 !

Social source share

Hi Ian

Tash here, just messing around on the net and found this. Just joined this site cant get the mecca pics on your site. By the way what happened to my copy of the video you made with me in; from our last meet in Blackpool. Hope lifes treating you good mate, would be nice to hear from you.

Tash

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

He's done quite a lot over the years. You can't deny that.

He Certainly Has , Credit Where Credits Due , But The 'My Freinds' Bit Made Me F****n Laugh .

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm staggered by the brutal honesty of Ian's profile entry.

Isn't that what myspace is all about though 'look at me everybody'? It's about bearing your soul for everybody to pick at isn't it?

I can't see the attraction myself :thumbsup: I'll stick with my SoulSource blog... :lol:

Social source share

Can't see any sensible or worthwhile reason to keep this topic open - Simon your 'this should cause a stir' comment makes me think you're just trying to be controversial, sure you knew what reaction it would get - anyone think otherwise let one of the moderators of this section know and we'll take your views into account.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Can't see any sensible or worthwhile reason to keep this topic open - Simon your 'this should cause a stir' comment makes me think you're just trying to be controversial, sure you knew what reaction it would get - anyone think otherwise let one of the moderators of this section know and we'll take your views into account.

just a note that two posts were removed as per the terms of use, below clip says it all

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

No unlawful or objectionable content: unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.

Social source share

Quite an interesting myspace Ian's got, amazing how much he's achieved in his life & in several different fields also.

Some interesting stuff on Dr Who also of which i'm a big fan.

Simon

Social source share

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I think the Northern scene is a much worse place without Ian Levine in it. The way he was harangued and almost chased away last time he came back was despicable. So he rubs people up the wrong way and will never admit he's wrong, he's a bighead and he's rude..but but there's never a dull moment when he's around:

his knowledge of soul music is immense

his enthusiasm is boundless

his taste is pretty much impeccable

he knows how to put a spot together perfectly

along with Richard Searling, he is the most important and best dj in the history of the Northern Soul scene

People like Levine should be encouraged and celebrated, not crucified and have the piss taken out of.

Bring back levine (again) I say.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I think the Northern scene is a much worse place without Ian Levine in it. The way he was harangued and almost chased away last time he came back was despicable. So he rubs people up the wrong way and will never admit he's wrong, he's a bighead and he's rude..but but there's never a dull moment when he's around:

along with Richard Searling, he is the most important and best dj in the history of the Northern Soul scene

People like Levine should be encouraged and celebrated, not crucified and have the piss taken out of.

I Dont Disagree With Your Comments , But He Brought It All On Himself Thats What I Meant ,

Social source share

Topic re-opened and some posts moved in from feedback topic. Members are asked to remember to keep to site guidelines.

Lets try and keep to the soul related aspects....

Edited by rachel
Social source share

I agree with this & i also agree with Playfair when he says he brought a lot of it on himself, infact Ian sorta admits this himself on his myspace.

He is/was a proper dj & could really control & move a crowd which seems to be a bit of a dying art nowadays.

Simon

Social source share

Thanks to the morderators for re opening this topic.

Hopefully members can be self policing and be grown up about it, thats if they feel they need to post anything at all !

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I agree with this & i also agree with Playfair when he says he brought a lot of it on himself, infact Ian sorta admits this himself on his myspace.

He is/was a proper dj & could really control & move a crowd which seems to be a bit of a dying art nowadays.

Simon

Agree , Like Pete Said , When Alls Said And Done He Deserves To Be Up There With Searling And Hennigan :)

Social source share

I would agree with pete on this one. if he hadn't been hounded out, who knows what stuff he might have come up with in the last few years. without his monumental input, the strange world of NS might have been a very different world indeed.

I think the olive branch should be extended. did he flog his records again?

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Thanks to the morderators for re opening this topic.

Hopefully members can be self policing and be grown up about it, thats if they feel they need to post anything at all !

Hear hear.

Stop being silly you lot and try to act like grown ups.

I agree with the man who sits naked in front of full length mirrors and takes photos of himself and posts them up on the internet.

:)

Social source share

In short:

He was good in the 70s. It was easier to be good in the 70s. He's not done anything of note in 30 yrs. His knowledge is not all it's cracked up to be either. Huge ego. Out of date. Could be a bit naughty. Winds people up. Shouldn't be slagged for being gay.

Social source share

Hear hear.

Stop being silly you lot and try to act like grown ups.

I agree with the man who sits naked in front of full length mirrors and takes photos of himself and posts them up on the internet.

:)

LOL ! Andy..but how do you know I'm naked ? :)

Social source share

I would agree with pete on this one. if he hadn't have been hounded out, who knows what stuff he might have come up with in the last few years. without his monumental input, the strange world of NS might have been a very different world indeed.

I think the olive branch should be extended. did he flog his records again?

hounded out?

where does that come from

Social source share

He's done quite a lot over the years. You can't deny that.

Good that "The Strange World Of Northern Soul" was filmed.

I just wish that they hadn't used those annoying effects.

Hope film exists without the effects,

He just caught many Artists who are no longer with us,

so all in all I'm pleased that someone filmed them.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Why? Surely thats a pre-requesite for a normal well balanced person.

What? To expose your minutest character faults to the entire world? Takes a bit of guts in my view, but then I've never been a "normal well-balanced person" (thank God!) hypo.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Isn't that what myspace is all about though 'look at me everybody'? It's about bearing your soul for everybody to pick at isn't it?

I can't see the attraction myself unsure.gif I'll stick with my SoulSource blog... :thumbup:

Maybe you're right. It's all new to me really. However, lots of our Soul heroes have a "myspace" page apparently, including Ashford & Simpson etc., and I've just been chatting with an (American) Northern Soul fan from New Jersey after finding him on "myspace". He tells me he attends an allnighter in Manhatten every month. Amazing how the music has spread all over the world...! I still can't get over it!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Nobody likes a big headed know all and his statement of 'Levine declares war on London soul clubs' was a bit ridiculous. Playing the Snake at the Rocket etc ... Small wonder he lost 'the war' coming to London armed with the Snake ...

Whatever he plays, he's forgotten more great records than most of us will ever know, and that's a fact.

Social source share

My ignorance knows no bounds!

I can find the My Space site - and have searched for the name - but all I find is other peoples pages with references to Levine. I can't find his page!!

rolleyes.gif

Errrr, how about reading the very first post in this thread, carefully. Just a thought like . . . :thumbup:

Social source share

Hear, hear.As far as I'm concerned Ian Levine could still play a full and active role on the scene today, and everything that he has been accused of being, - bighead, rude etc, applied back in the day when he was, for some, the best DJ around. So nothing new there, then. And yes, his presence would certainly liven up the scene. Bring it on, I say.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

To be frank I sort of agree and I don't think I've ever been one of Ian's fans. :thumbup: Though it was funny as hell winding him up at the time, and getting wound up by him.

As for the homophobic comments, I hope that they stop or I'll post up that photo of Ian in his American football outfit again. ohmy.gif

Social source share

Good that "The Strange World Of Northern Soul" was filmed.

I just wish that they hadn't used those annoying effects.

Hope film exists without the effects,

He just caught many Artists who are no longer with us,

so all in all I'm pleased that someone filmed them.

Trouble is, they had to use the effects on many of the pieces because they were in peoples living rooms. They went way over the top, but some of them were done out of necessity. Bobby Sheen, for instance, was living in a delapidated shack more or less in Compton, Chirs Lalor was there when it was filmed and he said it was filthy and like a crack house. Well it probably was as Bobby was a user up until his death.

Social source share

To be frank I sort of agree and I don't think I've ever been one of Ian's fans. no.gif Though it was funny as hell winding him up at the time, and getting wound up by him.

As for the homophobic comments, I hope that they stop or I'll post up that photo of Ian in his American football outfit again. ohmy.gif

Stuart. I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised. I knew McOrish was a bad influence on you. :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert