I LOVE REISSUES

Soulsearch

Hi

Too many thoughts which i obviously feel the need to share. Sorry.........................

No debate (unless turns into one) just friendly opinions really on the new records that are coming out very fast and furiously it seems. And yes buying reissues is going to be my future collecting pathway as i am enjoying it and can afford it.

To admit i am really in no position at all to purchase valuable records, would have many years ago but i really am truly thankful for the quality records i can now get my greasy little paws on for a tenner thereabouts - So hats off to all of you out there who do this, some for profit and some it appears purely for the love of doing it 😉  I have a massive collection of 5 original 7s now (LOL) which were not easy or/and cheap to get hold of :( but these have always been on my list as they meant a lot to me, brought for the pure love of them and never for investment. Now i buy cheap originals, new stuff and reissues, CDs cover most other bits and i am pretty much content and happy.

No real questions as such, just opinions if you feel you want to, add anything:

Certain record suppliers only allowing 1-2 copies per transaction of the same record :) Hats off to those suppliers doing this 😉 -  Far too much exploitation going on of bulk buying individuals, keeping for a while then flogging them all off for quadruple the going rate (and more) - I obviously know people out there have to make a living but.......................... makes my blood boil (personally) 

Common and cheap records that are reissued when you can easily go and buy 2 mint Originals for less than the reissue - Cant get my head around this - surely there must be a reason?

Some reissues are of beautiful quality and packaged very well with the playback that you deserve, some on the other hand are thin/cheap vinyl with no thoughts as to the packaging and quality of playback - It is just disappointing.  If your going to legitimately going to reissue a record worthy of this, please do it the justice it deserves and make the item a special item to savour, cherish and behold with a listening experience to be enjoyed. I have had a few recently that i almost cant listen to - Back to the CD player then :( then again i have brought a few recently that i have to put my silk white gloves on before handling them! - They are special to me and no they are not 5K records.

As i said, Any opinions welcome? and apologies if these have been discussed before, i do try to check before posting - but there is a HUGE amount of content on here.

Big Thankyou

Have a great weekend!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulsearch said:

Hi

Too many thoughts which i obviously feel the need to share. Sorry.........................

No debate (unless turns into one) just friendly opinions really on the new records that are coming out very fast and furiously it seems. And yes buying reissues is going to be my future collecting pathway as i am enjoying it and can afford it.

To admit i am really in no position at all to purchase valuable records, would have many years ago but i really am truly thankful for the quality records i can now get my greasy little paws on for a tenner thereabouts - So hats off to all of you out there who do this, some for profit and some it appears purely for the love of doing it 😉  I have a massive collection of 5 original 7s now (LOL) which were not easy or/and cheap to get hold of :( but these have always been on my list as they meant a lot to me, brought for the pure love of them and never for investment. Now i buy cheap originals, new stuff and reissues, CDs cover most other bits and i am pretty much content and happy.

No real questions as such, just opinions if you feel you want to, add anything:

Certain record suppliers only allowing 1-2 copies per transaction of the same record :) Hats off to those suppliers doing this 😉 -  Far too much exploitation going on of bulk buying individuals, keeping for a while then flogging them all off for quadruple the going rate (and more) - I obviously know people out there have to make a living but.......................... makes my blood boil (personally) 

Common and cheap records that are reissued when you can easily go and buy 2 mint Originals for less than the reissue - Cant get my head around this - surely there must be a reason?

Some reissues are of beautiful quality and packaged very well with the playback that you deserve, some on the other hand are thin/cheap vinyl with no thoughts as to the packaging and quality of playback - It is just disappointing.  If your going to legitimately going to reissue a record worthy of this, please do it the justice it deserves and make the item a special item to savour, cherish and behold with a listening experience to be enjoyed. I have had a few recently that i almost cant listen to - Back to the CD player then :( then again i have brought a few recently that i have to put my silk white gloves on before handling them! - They are special to me and no they are not 5K records.

As i said, Any opinions welcome? and apologies if these have been discussed before, i do try to check before posting - but there is a HUGE amount of content on here.

Big Thankyou

Have a great weekend!

It depends on what you mean by "reissues". There are certain labels and individuals that quite frankly are bootlegging records and I can see that they will be using a copy of the original - pops, ticks and all, or maybe a tape of the track, hence dodgy quality. They are there to cash in and don't really care about quality or the buyer.

However, there are those labels like Diggin Deep and Hit and Run (there are more not mentioned) that do a proper licensed release and and therefore use master tapes or some other format, maybe a studio acetate, that care about the artist, product and quality.

My advice is stick to the labels that do this.👍

As for restricting the number of copies, that's a good practice, but on the flip side the soul scene has forever been about supply and demand and prices reflect this, even on new release stuff which is normally restricted to a few hundred copies. Even on older originals I've seen what were £5 'Front Page Specials' for the dealers 10 or 15 years ago which are now going for 500+.  Its the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

It depends on what you mean by "reissues". There are certain labels and individuals that quite frankly are bootlegging records and I can see that they will be using a copy of the original - pops, ticks and all, or maybe a tape of the track, hence dodgy quality. They are there to cash in and don't really care about quality or the buyer.

However, there are those labels like Diggin Deep and Hit and Run (there are more not mentioned) that do a proper licensed release and and therefore use master tapes or some other format, maybe a studio acetate, that care about the artist, product and quality.

My advice is stick to the labels that do this.👍

As for restricting the number of copies, that's a good practice, but on the flip side the soul scene has forever been about supply and demand and prices reflect this, even on new release stuff which is normally restricted to a few hundred copies. Even on older originals I've seen what were £5 'Front Page Specials' for the dealers 10 or 15 years ago which are now going for 500+.  Its the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Hi, NOT taking into account boots, weren't even on my radar :( Thankyou :) 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Benji said:

@Soulsearch sorry, what's your point? I re-read your post again and again but don't get it.

Hi Benji,

You are indeed absolutely correct! - not really a lot of point and certainly a little "outside the box"?

I suppose i was just wanting opinions on the market for the re-issues being pressed currently, nobody has to reply and just felt like putting down my feelings as a post topic in bold text in the OP.

I "think" what inspired me to post this was that i have been buying lots of re-issues currently and that is really it - i like to get peoples opinions and thoughts on certain subjects.

But yes, i agree perhaps these pondering thoughts are pointless to almost everybody. But not to me though.

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

......I "think" what inspired me to post this was that i have been buying lots of re-issues currently and that is really it - i like to get peoples opinions and thoughts on certain subjects.......

Can you give us a few titles of the re-issues that you have been buying? Are you talking about re-issues of classic oldies? The ones with the look-a-like labels?

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Pottsy said:

Can you give us a few titles of the re-issues that you have been buying? Are you talking about re-issues of classic oldies? The ones with the look-a-like labels?

Hi Pottsy,

LOL now your just feeling sorry for me :) , No cant really mention any specifically, wouldn't be right. Its probably a stupid post anyway, but TBH i have been out of collecting for a good 25 or so years, so am completely well and truly out of touch with the scene/records/market etc. It was really just a general post to see what others feel about the re-issues coming out recently. Yes it was primarily the "classic" oldies i was referring to.

Also, a lot of the posts on here are "very" specific and really appeal to or at least answered by a very few avid experts/collectors whether it be labels/writers/producers etc, so my post really was intended to involve (if wanted) to a broader range of folks on this forum just for harmless and fun discussion.

If honest probably not the right place for me at the moment to be posting these types of topics but greatly appreciate your reply.

Thankyou :) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I never said "discuss" and i never mentioned "specific" records - it was a general post/topic just to chat about the reissues and people feel about them in general.

But what truly amazes me is i cant believe you guys are trying to turn this into some kind of argument? - i really just don't get it?.

I am out of here - for good

Thanks for embracing "new" members on this site :) Enjoy!!

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

I never said "discuss" and i never mentioned "specific" records - it was a general post/topic just to chat about the reissues and people feel about them in general.

But what truly amazes me is i cant believe you guys are trying to turn this into some kind of argument? - i really just don't get it?.

You mentioned you were buying re issues and some were of dubious quality , all uk legit re issues I have bought have all been excellent , I think the question was asked about the records you bought just to make sure you were not buying boots and to help you along the way in future.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulsearch said:

By posting here you sought to encourage discussion on the subject, hence my use of the word 'discuss'. And I really don't see that anyone, myself included, is looking to create an argument. Rather, it seems odd to discuss records without actually mentioning any by title, especially when another member asks for a bit of clarification from you.

I don't think walking away from Soul Source - just because someone's post has rubbed you up the wrong way - achieves anything. If I did that every time I disagreed with a post, I would have left about a hundred times by now! :lol:

Relative to your subject - I don't buy reissues, at all.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

By posting here you sought to encourage discussion on the subject, hence my use of the word 'discuss'. And I really don't see that anyone, myself included, is looking to create an argument. Rather, it seems odd to discuss records without actually mentioning any by title, especially when another member asks for a bit of clarification from you.

I don't think walking away from Soul Source - just because someone's post has rubbed you up the wrong way - achieves anything. If I did that every time I disagreed with a post, I would have left about a hundred times by now! :lol:

Relative to your subject - I don't buy reissues, at all.

OK, this is my last reply on this, i think the OP has well and truly died in the water.

Point "part" taken.

Most of the topics on here are IMO sometimes very niche, as in they appeal and stir the interest of those "serious" collectors, which is great and i thoroughly enjoy reading the posts - i have had a good few belly laughs in the process.

However, my post was "simply" and "only" to try and bring in a more "broader" chat maybe by those who often don't reply/comment and/or those that simply cant afford to collect and buy these obscure and valuable records rather than those hardened collectors (i am one of them).

I LOVE the music, so for "me" its opened up an avenue for me to be able to purchase records that TBH i will never ever have hoped to be able to actually play on vinyl which i much prefer listening to on CD and other formats.

Finally, the responses are really IMO to make a poster look stupid. It just "appears" a bit too "cliquey" for my liking - the usual suspects :( just my opinion though.

Thankyou again

PS This topic obviously can be continued, but not with any involvement from myself.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Shinehead said:

You mentioned you were buying re issues and some were of dubious quality , all uk legit re issues I have bought have all been excellent , I think the question was asked about the records you bought just to make sure you were not buying boots and to help you along the way in future.

Truly not my experience. Never was actually. On my "now" good real MONO (no fake MONO switch on the amp) phono system even less than in the past. The mastering job most reissues go through are only terrible.

I can only count so few where it's almost perfect (only not because of the almost mandatory digital phase in the process, yes my ears are that sensitive). The good old Kent compilations are acceptable but only that in real.

They were the best then in the UK but it's ultimately good for 'ambiance' home playback. If you want to party the thing won't work. Especialy next to real OVO 45rpm's. Trialed that on young ears and guess the vote...

But they are wonderfully compiled by a most humble gentlemen with taste, knowledge and inteligence that educated my 'young' "northern" soul ears. Never liked nor had respect for other northern soul tagged labels.

The fact of working from reels (or almost that) is only that. I've heard better dub takes than 'arty' mastering jobs from reels... Actually we all have heard dubbed on 6T's UK "original" or official releases (under licence) or not :0

Much prefering to play my original records home no matter what. It's not snobbery. It's reality. What I don't have I don't play. The unreleased stuffs is something else. Look-a-like are the worst. They're "tailor" made for "fans".

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I do like legal reissues from the 70''s on big labels like London, Brunswick, Pye, Mojo etc.  They are usually great quality sound productions from the master tapes, when the vinyl record industry was at it's height!

They are all proper analogue recordings just like they were made. I can't define it, but I think digital recordings lose some of the atmosphere.

Also it saves wearing out my originals😉

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, D9 Ktf said:

I do like legal reissues from the 70''s on big labels like London, Brunswick, Pye etc.  They are usually great quality sound productions from the master tapes, when the record industry was at it height!

They are all proper analogue recordings as they were made. I can't define it, but I think digital recordings lose a sort of atmosphere.

These seventies London, Brunswick, Pye... sound thin and low in output compared to their next of kin. A very recent example ; I found the 1975 French Roulette of Chuck Wood 'seven days too long' and told a friend who had the UK Pye to maybe take the Roulette to replace his Pye (both contemporary) and he played them side by side. No hesitation from his behalf... He left me with a Pye copy to sell on.

FWIW never these were direct cuts from the master tapes/reels. These remained in the American vaults. They are dubbed masterings. And in this sole case the British mastering on trial doesn't stand a chance. One might like a thin sound and a low output in playback but not me. It's an ear thing so open to be subjective. And also to evolution. Especially after understanding the 'what' and comparing in direct.

None physilogicaly is equal. Our ear ability, capacity and sensivity are all different. The human ear is conditioned. The room for spontaneous or acquired taste is huge. And all or most have expectations in analog playback. With good analog playback the ear/brain can rest while listening as the image is "clear" an "complete" in fluidity. With digital playback the picture is "scambled" and in constant "construction".

For those whose attention is not detoured by that the 'impression' of the image/picture is the same. For others, like me or you maybe not. Feeling unatural, cold or flat even the digital conversion from analog is never graceful. No matter what it can achieve in 'restoration' of damage tapes or records. To my ears it can never achieve the dynamic, life and depth combination of good quality phono analog playback.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

I like 7ts boots and eighties ones, the look alike ones,  but allot of tracks I bought because I could not afford the original, I never spin my orig Alfie Davidson, only get pleasure from playing my SOS boot...

And re issues I get these days,  I buy em but I hate playing them, those Big Man reissues are really great, great sound, great labels, but they just sit in a pile on the wall, I simply hate playing them because they are not original...

that really is daft isn't it...

Mal

Edited by Happy Feet
Totally agree , play the reissues , replaceable
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

These seventies London, Brunswick, Pye... sound thin and low in output compared to their next of kin. A very recent example ; I found the 1975 French Roulette of Chuck Wood 'seven days too long' and told a friend who had the UK Pye to maybe take the Roulette to replace his Pye (both contemporary) and he played them side by side. No hesitation from his behalf... He left me with a Pye copy to sell on.

FWIW never these were direct cuts from the master tapes/reels. These remained in the American vaults. They are dubbed masterings. And in this sole case the British mastering on trial doesn't stand a chance. One might like a thin sound and a low output in playback but not me. It's an ear thing so open to be subjective. And also to evolution. Especially after understanding the 'what' and comparing in direct.

None physilogicaly is equal. Our ear ability, capacity and sensivity are all different. The human ear is conditioned. The room for spontaneous or acquired taste is huge. And all or most have expectations in analog playback. With good analog playback the ear/brain can rest while listening as the image is "clear" an "complete" in fluidity. With digital playback the picture is "scambled" and in constant "construction".

For those whose attention is not detoured by that the 'impression' of the image/picture is the same. For others, like me or you maybe not. Feeling unatural, cold or flat even the digital conversion from analog is never graceful. No matter what it can achieve in 'restoration' of damage tapes or records. To my ears it can never achieve the dynamic, life and depth combination of good quality phono analog playback.

Well they sound great to me. Take for examples, Yvonne Baker on London, Vel-Vets on Pye, Doris Troy on Mojo or Invitations on Mojo . They sound just as good or maybe even better than the original USA singles. I have got great copies of all of them to compare.

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I suppose the analogue recordings sound like they do because of the equipment they were recorded on; mixing desks the size of a garden shed, valve powered amps etc to end up on magnetic tape. Then to be released on vinyl and cassette tapes which us older folk grew up listening to and maybe for nostalgic reasons prefer?

Digital is a totally different scenario, needs only a laptop and half decent software. I remember buying early CDs of 70’s albums and thinking how much tape hiss they had. They were subsequently ‘digitally remaster’, but sounder very dull as the top end was reduced to ‘remove’ the hiss

It’s ironic that people are spending fortunes on software to make their digital recording sound like the old analogue ones!

Slice up two tates for 're-issue' and boil one in oil and the other in water,  the outcome you preferr is down to taste?. Maybe best consumed raw?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, D9 Ktf said:

Well they sound great to me. Take for examples, Yvonne Baker on London, Vel-Vets on Pye, Doris Troy on Mojo or Invitations on Mojo . They sound just as good or maybe even better than the original USA singles. I have got great copies of all of them to compare.

Unless your phono rig is not that true in "revealing" all that's in the groove that is impossible. I've that heard that difference on merely mi-fi phono gear.  Like the example of Chuck Wood. What is possible though is that your cartrige/stylus is so much more or only appropriate for the stereo groove that it picks up all the noise and pollution from the MONO groove. Those seventies UK reissues there are stereo groove cuts playing in MONO...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

OK

My OP "should" have been far simpler and a lot more condensed and i should have stuck to one subject- i see that now :) 

Big Thankyou to those "positive" responses which was what i was hoping for re one section of my post, i.e playback comparisons of the original on vinyl and a reissue on vinyl  - Yes completely lost for the moment but interesting reading so will certainly continue 

I do tend to Waffle - i shall try not to from now on?

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

I do tend to Waffle - i shall try not to from now on?

You waffle Luke? You could have saved 80 words on you last  post.....................

.................................. 'Oh b*llocks to it all'

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Exactly Ady... You don't chase Big records, buy ones that are brilliant that are still cheap. Northern wise there are lots still, Spyder Turner, Majestic, tons of Chuck Jacksons etc etc etc etc, we list em every other week on here! 

But if you can taste the flavors outside the epicenter of your Rsoul, there are rich pickings to be had!  and they are allot cheaper... laughing

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Exactly Ady... You don't chase Big records, buy ones that are brilliant that are still cheap. Northern wise there are lots still, Spyder Turner, Majestic, tons of Chuck Jacksons etc etc etc etc, we list em every other week on here! 

But if you can taste the flavors outside the epicenter of your Rsoul, there are rich pickings to be had!  and they are allot cheaper... laughing

How "eloquently" put Mal!  - Laughing too  

Social source share

14 hours ago, Pottsy said:

Hi,

That clarifies your question, I can see what your asking now.

Just a thought, rather than spending £10 or £20 on a reissue/boot of a classic oldie why not spend the same figure on a genuine first press classic oldie? For example. Last night on here I replaced my hissy worn out copy of the Parliaments 'Don't be sore at me' for a near mint copy for twenty quid. That's a classic floor filling oldie for the price of a boot. There's still plenty of genuine first press titles for that kind of money. BUT, it won't last much longer the way things are going. Imagine if Spyder Turner "I can't make it anymore" was a really rare record it would be four figures, but there's still plenty of them on the market so it's ten or twenty quid, but what a brilliant classic floor filling oldie!

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

Take care

Ady

Thankyou Ady,

Agree completely, amazing records out there for no money :) but what about those uncommon and unobtainable records for us mere mortals? just an example Stevens & Foster say - in no way can i obtain this on original vinyl unless its a re-issue - so, delighted with that and many others - playback wise some other reissues not so happy with.

Social source share

i have re-issues ( mostly with the intention of buying the orig' but never bothered with some). 

e.g. i have Midnight Affair , Stax ‎– FANSG 6092-7 -2004 Re-Issue-Germany. No idea waht all the versions now cost, and don't know if all the version are 'the same'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!