This weeks lunacy

Vadnochka

On 29/11/2021 at 01:00, Ledders said:

Good for you Haighy...I read bitter posts on here and other forums everyday from people who don't want to pay 'crazy prices' for tunes...because they want something for nothing....they are the same people who would screw every penny out of buyers for tunes they were selling....fuck 'em......good on you Sir ... :)

well said mate. A track is worth what someone will pay not what JM price guide says

Social source share

13 hours ago, Haighy said:

well said mate. A track is worth what someone will pay not what JM price guide says

My memory is not what it used to be, but this story I am sure is pretty accurate

John or someone told me a million years ago that on one of Manships USA trips he went to a market and found a stack of 45's in a barrow.

When he had sorted the ones he wanted the guy/ guys selling them, took the plastic somewhere and came back with what John thought was a really expensive price.

He questioned the reason and they produced Manship's guide as the source of their pricing structure.

"Actions always have consequences" I believe 😁

Check out the Magnetics on evilbay item 65213809022

Starting bid $9,975.00

I can't believe at that price it did not sell and has been re-listed (joking)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

My memory is not what it used to be, but this story I am sure is pretty accurate

John or someone told me a million years ago that on one of Manships trips he went to a market and found a stack of 45's in a barrow.

When he had sorted the ones he wanted the guy/ guys selling them, took the plastic somewhere and came back with what John thought was a really expensive price.

He questioned the reason and they produced Manship's guide as the source of their pricing structure.

"Actions always have consequences" I believe 😁

I have heard the same story,its a case of getting shot with your own shit. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm spending a lot (for me) on vinyl atm, but I'm buying what I want/need - the only relevance of current prices is how much I have to find to get what I'm really after - if the prices started to drop it'd suit me coz I'd still be buying and could afford more toys for my playroom. Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Spook said:

Easier spot !!! it also should have "DJ copy Not For Sale" on it as shown it Pottsy photos.

My first thought was boot.

But the labels are pretty good on the photo . The scratched in FRANKFORD/WAYNE was a giveaway.

And a vague description hoping to catch someone out...anyway they are bidding stupid money for the 70s boot.

I asked the question Real or Boot...let see if they respond.

13 minutes ago, Spook said:

Easier spot !!! it also should have "DJ copy Not For Sale" on it as shown it Pottsy photos.

DOHHHH ! ..didnt notice that. It must be a B/W copy of the issue.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Davlee said:

My first thought was boot.

But the labels are pretty good on the photo . The scratched in FRANKFORD/WAYNE was a giveaway.

And a vague description hoping to catch someone out...anyway they are bidding stupid money for the 70s boot.

I asked the question Real or Boot...let see if they respond.

DOHHHH ! ..didnt notice that. It must be a B/W copy of the issue.

I hope lots have messaged the seller (I have) it may be innocent mistake ..... we will see

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

3 hours ago, Davlee said:

1 hour ago, Pottsy said:

It's a boot, it should have a stamped matrix like this...

matrix (2).JPG

matrix.JPG

I have an answer and am winding as we speak

"Hahaha

Wind your neck in. The labels and run out etchings were clearly photographed and included in the listing so experts like you could jog on by. Bidding started at £1.99 as it was bought in a job lot 30 years ago.

Regardless, the high bidders have already been notified the auction is being pulled when I finish work this evening.

I hope this meets with your approval."

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have an answer and am winding as we speak

"Hahaha

Wind your neck in. The labels and run out etchings were clearly photographed and included in the listing so experts like you could jog on by. Bidding started at £1.99 as it was bought in a job lot 30 years ago.

Regardless, the high bidders have already been notified the auction is being pulled when I finish work this evening.

I hope this meets with your approval."

Being honest always meets with my approval.

Being vague when you are in the know is just plain deception

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Davlee said:

Being honest always meets with my approval.

Being vague when you are in the know is just plain deception

Wow, I have just had an email from a mate who also sent the seller a message complaining and within 2 hours got "his" Ebay account "Terminated"

He threatened them with Trading Standards and they have reinstated him overnight

Shocking

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

It's getting quite common now bidders not paying i have sold an oasis boxset at £560 no communication from the buyer and again two oasis lps for £72 ish no comms from buyer . EBay does not care about the seller and you can't even leave negative feedback for non payment . So apparantly you can bid away with no consequences if you don't pay 

Edited by Spook
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

There's also a boot of Walter Jackson on the same site up to £24.  you can actually see the label has a photo copied drill hole for god's sake 

I have no problem with boots/70s reissues as long as they are described as such.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Davlee said:

I have no problem with boots/70s reissues as long as they are described as such.

The major problem is that sellers and dealers twist to suit and state reissue (which of course is true in these cases) but have selective forgetfulness when it comes to mentioning bootlegs / repros / counterfeits (do you see what I did there using 3 different words for the same thing (it's confusing enough without using different names or is that meant to confuse ?)

Social source share

On 14/11/2021 at 20:18, Haighy said:

I’ve just paid £2250 for a mint copy of Carole Anderson off discogs. I sold my copy  26 yr ago for £600 and regretted it. It’s taken 20 yr to find the right copy and I don’t give a f&&? What anyone thinks or says. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as everyone is entitled to pay what they think is a fair price. 

that mindset is just about spot on.. its not lunacy anymore its the norm for records to exceed expectations and its happening with threads just about starting everyday on the subject which to be honest its getting like groundhog day.. people pay what they want and really its nowt to do with anyone else.. i said to a friend of mine months ago that next time you see one of these it will hit 2k+.

however horses for courses i`ve never owned this record as i think it dirgy by detroit standards and the  flip is crap and if you sold it for £600 in the 90s i wouldnt feel too bad about it as you did well as the times i saw it it wasnt even half that amount when listed or in sales boxes

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

however horses for courses i`ve never owned this record as i think it dirgy by detroit standards and the  flip is crap and if you sold it for £600 in the 90s i wouldnt feel too bad about it as you did well as the times i saw it it wasnt even half that amount when listed or in sales boxes

Got a mint copy off Andy Rix around 1996 for £90.00

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Modularman said:

Check a few copies of the same record on Discogs and I think you'll find it is UK dealers asking ridiculous prices.

UK dealers are also 'optimistic' with their grading. US dealers frequently undergrade. 

Agreed. Some UK sellers are living on Planet Zanussi. Maybe the the original owners passed on leaving collections to greedy, grasping offspring who know nowt...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Davlee said:

This particular copy didn't describe reissue ,but the same boot sold on Thursday /Friday overnight for £8.50 and today a copy for sale £10. both listed as reissue, original issues for sale on discogs from £14. Why do people not do their homework, multiple copies and reasonably priced originals around , but do agree no problem with boots or reissues sometimes it's the only option 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

That’s what I was gettin at.. even up to the millennium it was only a £150 record where I was

Yes ,£660 26years ago was a colossal amount, sold mine for about 300 if memory serves me right in 2006  !and I thought I did great! Mind you somebody paid 640 for the ultimates on br roma a few year before that on jm auction 😳

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Modularman said:

Check a few copies of the same record on Discogs and I think you'll find it is UK dealers asking ridiculous prices.

UK dealers are also 'optimistic' with their grading. US dealers frequently undergrade. 

but Uk dealer prices are nearer the mark than usa dealer prices even tho some exploit it. US dealers have to be more competitive as they have expensive postage, taxes, fees and handling charges to cope with that ultimately make them as expensive.. as for grading the US is a bigger place but in my experience for every ropey uk grader theres a US based guy that can top them..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The major problem is that sellers and dealers twist to suit and state reissue (which of course is true in these cases) but have selective forgetfulness when it comes to mentioning bootlegs / repros / counterfeits (do you see what I did there using 3 different words for the same thing (it's confusing enough without using different names or is that meant to confuse ?)

Using the term "bootleg" and "counterfeit" on Ebay will get the items removed, as I was told by an Ebay that they have key word software which will identify it. I questioned it when I was selling some 70's boots about 10 years ago where the listing got pulled.

"reissue" and "repro" will get through OK. So I guess some list 70's boots as reissues to get round it.

Social source share

49 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Using the term "bootleg" and "counterfeit" on Ebay will get the items removed, as I was told by an Ebay that they have key word software which will identify it. I questioned it when I was selling some 70's boots about 10 years ago where the listing got pulled.

"reissue" and "repro" will get through OK. So I guess some list 70's boots as reissues to get round it.

bit like using `45` in the facebook marketplace.. the robots on there think its a handgun and will block the post 🙃

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

I love the fact that they use software to spot bootlegs so sellers use the other words to get round it

Ebay have therefore caused a problem trying to solve one

Before the lockdown I popped in to a record fair in a local pub and there was a box titled re-issues and they were ALL boots. I casually mentioned it to the dealer and he swore at me and I was only trying to help him 😁

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I love the fact that they use software to spot bootlegs so sellers use the other words to get round it

Ebay have therefore caused a problem trying to solve one

Before the lockdown I popped in to a record fair in a local pub and there was a box titled re-issues and they were ALL boots. I casually mentioned it to the dealer and he swore at me and I was only trying to help him 😁

I would have told him to f off . Re issues 🤣🤣🤣

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!