Hot Box Deejaying

Souljazera

• Replies 178
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Still can't work this concept out...doesn't it mean that if ten DJ's hotbox, the ones nearer the end of the evening are going to have to repeat very popular records played already, or play less popular/reactive records? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

And I can't see Butch or Dyson or any of those top DJs signing up to this very blinkered approach.

Dylan, I think you are missing the point. The thing is with the likes of Butch, Tim Brown, Ady Croasdell etc their sales boxes are hotter than 90% of the DJ's on the soul scene collections. They're on a different planet of collecting and DJing than 99% of people on the soul scene.

But when they DJ they still only get to play for 1 hour. You can try to play the same game as Butch if you like, but you will not get close to where he is if you spent 5 life times trying to catch up. However, you can compete and put on a good show for the dancers if you concentrate on a 60 minute DJ set instead of building a collection of 1000s and 1000s of records that you can enjoy just as much of CD or MP3. That's the point. This is about the very public game of DJing, not the private pass time of collecting.

It's not a blinkered approach, I don't see how it can be seen as that? But unless there is a crash in record prices it's simply impossible to play catch up with the guys with million pound plus collections who have been at it since the 70s.

You have to compromise soemtimes, let records go that you are not going to use. But that's not blinkered. That's being focused :thumbsup:

Oh, and if I travelled hundered of miles to hear a DJ play a load of sounds i "can go away and buy fairly easily" I'll be pretty fucking pissed off. Thinking 'why did I travel 200 miles to hear that chump play a load of stuff I can buy on the internet on my pocket PC by the time the records hit the run out groove'. I disagree Dylan, it's got to be special, really special. Every time.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I've been doing this for years now. Simply because, as has already been said, I found I couldn't collect and DJ. I just couldn't afford it ! So, to listen to at home, I've still got all my albums and CDs, to DJ with I've got a 200 count box, that means when I buy something new, I have to sell something to get it in the box. What it does do is force you to vary your set. Over the course of a year or so when I compare playlists I find probably 75% of the records I am playing have changed.

I can't say it makes me a good DJ though, and it doesn't make someone who brings a 500 count box a bad DJ. I'd like to think that I am a good DJ and can construct a set that will make people want to dance wherever I'm DJing, be it The 100 Club, or Goodyears in Wolverhampton. But it was financial necessity that forced me down the 'hotbox' route, nothing else.

I've been doing this for years with Jamaican music. I collect only what I spin (with some exceptions) and nothing else. Being a good DJ has nothing to do with collecting, it has to do with keeping a crowd engaged with the music you are playing. But I've been doing this for 15+ years now so I have a large collection that can sustain doing a night a week (did this for 4 years) without boring the regulars to death. So I worked with a "hotbox" when I did weeklys, basically pulling 90% of the stuff I played and replacing it with different records each week until I end up with a 4 week rotation. Eventually I leave stuff home when I get bored of it so I keep moving new songs into the rotation.

I can't compete money-wise with the big spenders, so I have to work to get the stuff I can keep a crowd engaged. Mainly I take advantage of location (NYC) to dig up Jamaican tracks that haven't become "skinhead classics" yet. The side benefit is that I also come away with soul, gospel, latin and R&B records that I can spin at a non-Jamaican night. Now all I have to do is find a few nights in my spare time between moving and expecting a baby in June...

The one thing I don't do is sell off records I don't play. The people and the crowd's tastes change over time and I save myself money by not having to buy a record I already have.

Edited by upsetterfc
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Dylan, I think you are missing the point. The thing is with the likes of Butch, Tim Brown, Ady Croasdell etc their sales boxes are hotter than 90% of the DJ's on the soul scene collections. They're on a different planet of collecting and DJing than 99% of people on the soul scene.

But when they DJ they still only get to play for 1 hour. You can try to play the same game as Butch if you like, but you will not get close to where he is if you spent 5 life times trying to catch up. However, you can compete and put on a good show for the dancers if you concentrate on a 60 minute DJ set instead of building a collection of 1000s and 1000s of records that you can enjoy just as much of CD or MP3. That's the point. This is about the very public game of DJing, not the private pass time of collecting.

It's not a blinkered approach, I don't see how it can be seen as that? But unless there is a crash in record prices it's simply impossible to play catch up with the guys with million pound plus collections who have been at it since the 70s.

You have to compromise soemtimes, let records go that you are not going to use. But that's not blinkered. That's being focused :D

Oh, and if I travelled hundered of miles to hear a DJ play a load of sounds i "can go away and buy fairly easily" I'll be pretty fucking pissed off. Thinking 'why did I travel 200 miles to hear that chump play a load of stuff I can buy on the internet on my pocket PC by the time the records hit the run out groove'. I disagree Dylan, it's got to be special, really special. Every time.

I like this idea as i said earlier and i agree with pretty much everything you've said so far James. There are a couple of things though. When Butch DJs at Stoke he's not using the 'hot box' is he, he's playing from his collection and probably has a different 'oldies box', so doesn't it make sense if you want to become a DJ of Butch's calibre to be 'flexible'? Butch isn't a hot boxer in the strict sense of the word, maybe none of the best DJs are?

Personally i think guys like you who play what they want and try to educate the dancers are fantastic but there are a lot of people out there who rely on bookings from all sorts of venues where the 'hot box' would leave an empty dance floor. Some might say 'don't play those venues' which is fair enough i suppose.

On the point about hearing a bunch of sounds you can buy fairly easily. That's true to an extent but it's also about the DJing style, the combination of the records and the response to the dancefloor. You might hear a set of stuff you can easily get your hands on but you might never have heard it in that order, or heard any of them for a long time at a venue. That counts for something surely?

Keep up the good work btw :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Still can't work this concept out...doesn't it mean that if ten DJ's hotbox, the ones nearer the end of the evening are going to have to repeat very popular records played already, or play less popular/reactive records? :D

i imagine that every dj's who hotboxes would have their own individual idea of what they want in their hotbox ...

for example , dave rimmer has said he does it , rowly does it , i do it ......but we don't all have the same records in our box .

and it's preposterous to imagine i would want any of the records mentioned so far anyway ...... i like R&B me :rolleyes:

Social source share

I like this idea as i said earlier and i agree with pretty much everything you've said so far James. There are a couple of things though. When Butch DJs at Stoke he's not using the 'hot box' is he, he's playing from his collection and probably has a different 'oldies box', so doesn't it make sense if you want to become a DJ of Butch's calibre to be 'flexible'? Butch isn't a hot boxer in the strict sense of the word, maybe none of the best DJs are?

Bob on...

First and foremost, I'm what's known as a 'collector' DJ, however I take each spot seriously and because of this I have four different boxes of records for DJing that are pulled seperate from the collection...

That way, no matter what the style of music played I can usually grab one or two and do right by the promoter and their crowds tastes.

I also collect for myself, and 90% of the records I buy arent suitable for playing out - I know that, so I leave them at home.

Unfortunately some 'collector' DJs insist on taking them out and giving them a try anyway.

Price is immaterial, but I do agree that if I hear a DJ play a spot I could listen to at home on original vinyl, then I start to get bored...

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Bob on...

First and foremost, I'm what's known as a 'collector' DJ, however I take each spot seriously and because of this I have four different boxes of records for DJing that are pulled seperate from the collection...

That way, no matter what the style of music played I can usually grab one or two and do right by the promoter and their crowds tastes.

I also collect for myself, and 90% of the records I buy arent suitable for playing out - I know that, so I leave them at home.

Unfortunately some 'collector' DJs insist on taking them out and giving them a try anyway.

"OH NO, who would dream of doing such a thing" she asks, as she creeps shamefaced from the room !!!!! :rolleyes:

Price is immaterial, but I do agree that if I hear a DJ play a spot I could listen to at home on original vinyl, then I start to get bored...

Social source share

You have to compromise soemtimes, let records go that you are not going to use. But that's not blinkered. That's being focused :rolleyes:

James, i'm sorry mate but i have to say this, i take your very constructive points but you seem to construct and base your comments in such a way that outside of the people you mention Ady, Butch, Tim etc. by the very nature of your statistics you seem to undermine pretty much everyone else who DJ's outside of the 10% sorry 1%, or that's how it seems to me, of course the people you mention are head and shoulders above many but does this mean that some of us should not be DJ'ing? seems to me that you are happy to sport the corner for the select few and dismiss others who in your eyes are not top of the pile or moovers and shakers, spare a thought for the many good jobbing DJ's out there who may not have the million pound collections but do have some depth to their collections, now i'm not gonna name names or bring anyone else into my reply here but i can use myself as an example, although i choose not to DJ as much i feel i can still contribute to a night, have a depth of collection and the experence to judge and read a dancefloor, i like to think that i get the odd booking on merrit, reputation, quality of records, entertainment value etc. i do not get asked because i'm someones best mate who runs a gig although i do take your point James on this one as it does happen but not in my case.

Yes the best records need to be played by the best DJ's but i think the number of DJ's able to do this is slightly higher than your percentages James.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

So as much as I love the hot box sounds I want to hear something I can go away and buy fairly easily.

Richard Marks "Innocent bystander" would be my choice for a 2006 hotbox I haen't heard my 2007 selection yet........

Fantastic record Dylan! :rolleyes:

as Sean H says the northern scene has always ben awash with hot box types, must admit it's not a thing that has ever appealed to me. Fortunately I've never had to sell up, as over the years I would have sold some pretty damn fine records.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Personally i think guys like you who play what they want and try to educate the dancers are fantastic but there are a lot of people out there who rely on bookings from all sorts of venues where the 'hot box' would leave an empty dance floor. Some might say 'don't play those venues' which is fair enough i suppose.

On the point about hearing a bunch of sounds you can buy fairly easily. That's true to an extent but it's also about the DJing style, the combination of the records and the response to the dancefloor. You might hear a set of stuff you can easily get your hands on but you might never have heard it in that order, or heard any of them for a long time at a venue. That counts for something surely?

Keep up the good work btw :rolleyes:

I agree with everything you say there Matt. I play at different types of events as well. I DJ northern, mostly pretty 'upfront' for want of a better word, but I also do an oldies set, but not being old enough to have been there to know what was played where I will admit very quickly to not being well equipt knowledge wise to do that job. I also DJ rare funk and modern soul/disco.

The point of all this is that if you want to make an impact as a DJ on the northern scene and you don't have a huge collection that you have amassed since the 70s ,and even then this probably still applies to you. You have to be prepared to sell records that you are not going to use as a DJ in order to finance better, fresher, more exciting tunes to make an impact and serve up a worthwhile set to the dancers who have travelled to dance to fresh and exciting sets and not middle fo the road dross played in a seemingly random order. This is pretty common practice and apart from a few exceptions this is what seperates a DJ from a collector. DJs are normally prepared to sell on to bring in fresh sounds that they otherwise would not be able to affford.

Social source share

When Keb was hot-boxing Northern, ( and of course Guy H ) they had a fairly big turnover of sounds . No one can do that now!! We are all gonna get tired of those same big money tunes that we cant buy and is it really worth travelling to hear them ? ..There is very little northern left be it funky or stompy to be discovered . Diversty is the only way forward for All-nighter music IMO :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, i'm sorry mate but i have to say this, i take your very constructive points but you seem to construct and base your comments in such a way that outside of the people you mention Ady, Butch, Tim etc. by the very nature of your statistics you seem to undermine pretty much everyone else who DJ's outside of the 10% sorry 1%, or that's how it seems to me, of course the people you mention are head and shoulders above many but does this mean that some of us should not be DJ'ing? seems to me that you are happy to sport the corner for the select few and dismiss others who in your eyes are not top of the pile or moovers and shakers, spare a thought for the many good jobbing DJ's out there who may not have the million pound collections but do have some depth to their collections, now i'm not gonna name names or bring anyone else into my reply here but i can use myself as an example, although i choose not to DJ as much i feel i can still contribute to a night, have a depth of collection and the experence to judge and read a dancefloor, i like to think that i get the odd booking on merrit, reputation, quality of records, entertainment value etc. i do not get asked because i'm someones best mate who runs a gig although i do take your point James on this one as it does happen but not in my case.

Yes the best records need to be played by the best DJ's but i think the number of DJ's able to do this is slightly higher than your percentages James.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I think you are playing yourself down there Mark, your self impossed exile as a club DJ is most unwelcome by pretty much all on the scene I think you'll find, including myself :rolleyes:

But yes, I do mean that most DJs who are DJing on the soul scene are not up to the job in my opinion. Seriously, I think most are pretty weak behind the decks. Sorry, but that's the truth, things could be better and the strongest 10% of DJs should have more deck time and the weakest 50% should think about standing down to allow the top 10% more time to sort things out :D

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Rowly

.......... and it doesn't make someone who brings a 500 count box a bad DJ.

f*** lugging one of those bastards about! One - sometimes two 120/130 capacity boxes is the most I can ever be arsed to carry!

Social source share

I think you are playing yourself down there Mark, your self impossed exile as a club DJ is most unwelcome by pretty much all on the scene I think you'll find, including myself :rolleyes:

But yes, I do mean that most DJs who are DJing on the soul scene are not up to the job in my opinion. Seriously, I think most are pretty useless behind the decks. Sorry, but that's the truth, things could be better and the strongest 10% of DJs should have more deck time and the weakest 50% should be forced out :D

James, thanks for the honest reply mate, firstly regarding my self impossed exile as a club DJ well this is partly out of choice and part circumstance which i'm not prepared to comment on in a public forum, just note i'm still out there but not as much, basically i'm hear and willing to do most gigs offered.

I still think the percentage of quality DJ's is higher than you suggest, but i do agree 100% with your more deck time comment, the longer set is a much better deal.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I've never said good tunes are expensive ones. I don't know or have ever met anyone who thinks that?

That's like saying the only good footballers are expensive ones, which would be foolish.

Firstly James I think your contribution to this thread has been thought provoking but you do be appearing to say that you HAVE to sell records to fund new ones, whilst accepting that even if you do you'll never be as good as the few you mention. I don't believe that. I am in the lucky position of being a collector since the 70's and still do buy what people may think of as 'expensive' tunes now. How I fund those is immaterial surely? If the records that come out of my play box go onto a shelf in the record room rather than to another collector how is that relevant?

We should of course be judged by what we play, in the context of the spot, the venue and the audience. What other records we own or if we choose to spend money on collecting stamps, going fishing, buying a football season ticket or in my case watching formula one should not influence peoples view of what I play.

Where I agree with you is that its about the quality of what you play, the thought you put into it and the passion with which you chase those elusive tunes that you believe will set your hour apart from the others.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Firstly James I think your contribution to this thread has been thought provoking but you do be appearing to say that you HAVE to sell records to fund new ones, whilst accepting that even if you do you'll never be as good as the few you mention. I don't believe that. I am in the lucky position of being a collector since the 70's and still do buy what people may think of as 'expensive' tunes now. How I fund those is immaterial surely? If the records that come out of my play box go onto a shelf in the record room rather than to another collector how is that relevant?

We should of course be judged by what we play, in the context of the spot, the venue and the audience. What other records we own or if we choose to spend money on collecting stamps, going fishing, buying a football season ticket or in my case watching formula one should not influence peoples view of what I play.

Where I agree with you is that its about the quality of what you play, the thought you put into it and the passion with which you chase those elusive tunes that you believe will set your hour apart from the others

Totally with you.

You're in a lucky position though that most are not :rolleyes:

I don't think I've said "you have to sell to buy in new tunes". I'm not sure where you got that from?

Totally agree with you though. It doesn't matter where you fund your DJ set from, as long as it is passionate and of importance.

Social source share

A few spanners in the works here :D

A: It would get very stale if the top 10(??) DJs played even more, take Butch for example, would you want to here him at every night you went to, i know i wouldnt! thats not knocking him befor any one starts! :rolleyes:

B: i can go out and here Sam for example, hes not changed his spot for ages, and i can near on predict what he's going to play! its all about keeping things fresh and people playing the same spot they have done for ages dont do alot for me.

C: Would say Butch et all, want to be DJing week in week out for 2hrs a night friday and sat? I doubt it.

D: Some of the best spots i've herd are from the 40% and usually the ones that give me new to my ears records and thats what its all about.

I do agree the top lads are 10% there is another 40% that are doing the business, and i reckon the other 50% are just doing it 'because they have a few records' and should think about keeping to collecting, or are past it or dont have what it takes. Filling a floor at your local doo dont mean you are a DJ either wicked.gif

Edited by Baz
Social source share

A few spanners in the works here :D

A: It would get very stale if the top 10(??) DJs played even more, take Butch for example, would you want to here him at every night you went to, i know i wouldnt! thats not knocking him befor any one starts! :rolleyes:

B: i can go out and here Sam for example, hes not changed his spot for ages, and i can near on predict what he's going to play! its all about keeping things fresh and people playing the same spot they have done for ages dont do alot for me.

C: Would say Butch et all, want to be DJing week in week out for 2hrs a night friday and sat? I doubt it.

D: Some of the best spots i've herd are from the 40% and usually the ones that give me new to my ears records and thats what its all about.

I do agree the top lads are 10% there is another 40% that are doing the business, and i reckon the other 50% are just doing it 'because they have a few records' and should think about keeping to collecting, or are past it or dont have what it takes. Filling a floor at your local doo dont mean you are a DJ either wicked.gif

I was thinking the same Baz .. the turnover of new sounds played out is minimal , I find more that are new to me via the net

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

But unless there is a crash in record prices it's simply impossible to play catch up with the guys with million pound plus collections who have been at it since the 70s.

You have to compromise soemtimes, let records go that you are not going to use.

You have to be prepared to sell records that you are not going to use as a DJ in order to finance better, fresher, more exciting tunes

DJs are normally prepared to sell on to bring in fresh sounds that they otherwise would not be able to affford.

I don't think I've said "you have to sell to buy in new tunes". I'm not sure where you got that from?

Totally agree with you though. It doesn't matter where you fund your DJ set from, as long as it is passionate and of importance.

I'm not sure you did actually say "have to" just implied it but I'm sure were on the same wavelength anyway :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well Ive just started packing a hot-box for Mark Houghton's New Chapter ( one of London's top 70's and 80's nights) Its looking hotter than a Scotch bonnet chilli on ya doo daas LOL :thumbsup:

And don't forget, it will be inspected and tested for exciting & fresh sounds by the 'Soul Police'........and if it ain't up to scratch we'll be revoking yer Rare Soul DJ licence :thumbsup: Philips has already had a warning.......

Shape of things to come...

Girf

Social source share

And don't forget, it will be inspected and tested for exciting & fresh sounds by the 'Soul Police'........and if it ain't up to scratch we'll be revoking yer Rare Soul DJ licence :thumbsup: Philips has already had a warning.......

Shape of things to come...

Girf

No problem Gareth always up for the challange :thumbsup:

Oh yeah whats this green stuff served at Gavins yarmouth doo ..I hope they have some appletise for me , very nice LOL

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

No problem Gareth always up for the challange :thumbsup:

Oh yeah whats this green stuff served at Gavins yarmouth doo ..I hope they have some appletise for me , very nice LOL

I have a very very very vague recollection of the green stuff......one thing is for certain, Appletise it ain't.... :thumbsup:

Girf

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

JOSEPH WEBSTER MY LOVE IS STRONG

I think 'Hot Box' sounds have to be at least be remotely available/affordable to most. If i bought Joseph Webster i'd probably have to sell my entire collection (such as it is). :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well Ive just started packing a hot-box for Mark Houghton's New Chapter ( one of London's top 70's and 80's nights) Its looking hotter than a Scotch bonnet chilli on ya doo daas LOL :thumbsup:

Right Simon,

Any self respecting DJ these days needs a handful of cover ups in that Hot Box,.....and the key is coming up with sensible names for them (i.e. not silly names like Candy Coated People :thumbsup: ). Before your appearance at New Chapter the Soul Police will require to know what yours are???? :thumbsup:

.....and James any self respecting DJ also needs some unknowns / excloosives in that box as I am sure you'd agree.....no point in us all playing Wee, New World etc.

PS boys - the Yarmouth green stuff - think that must be the mushy peas, served with the food. Best taken on a plate, can be quite messy if drunk from a pint glass. You end up with fluorescent green all down your T shirt in my experience :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Right Simon,

Any self respecting DJ these days needs a handful of cover ups in that Hot Box,.....and the key is coming up with sensible names for them (i.e. not silly names like Candy Coated People :wicked: ). Before your appearance at New Chapter the Soul Police will require to know what yours are???? wicked.gif

.....and James any self respecting DJ also needs some unknowns / excloosives in that box as I am sure you'd agree.....no point in us all playing Wee, New World etc.

PS boys - the Yarmouth green stuff - think that must be the mushy peas, served with the food. Best taken on a plate, can be quite messy if drunk from a pint glass. You end up with fluorescent green all down your T shirt in my experience :D

LOL I agree, without some excloooosives and a few cover ups with sensible names your box just ain't hot, as I'm sure the soul police will agree with! :lol:

New World is being played by all of us you say?!?! To be honest I've heard that rumour as well. It'll be a played out tired oldie and kicked out the hot box along with Elipsis and Joseph Webster before we know it. Mark my words, next year it'll be played in the main room at Prestatyn, oh hang on, that was this year. Anyone want to buy a copy of New World? :lol:

Social source share

Right Simon,

Any self respecting DJ these days needs a handful of cover ups in that Hot Box,.....and the key is coming up with sensible names for them (i.e. not silly names like Candy Coated People :wicked: ). Before your appearance at New Chapter the Soul Police will require to know what yours are???? :lol:

PS boys - the Yarmouth green stuff - think that must be the mushy peas, served with the food. Best taken on a plate, can be quite messy if drunk from a pint glass. You end up with fluorescent green all down your T shirt in my experience :D

hhaha :lol: you Munters , I dont need to coverup and refused to do so in the 80's ( no one should these days as Keb said in his interview ) , and Ive certainly got some records that should be on your wants list Steve !!.But .You'll have to get down Mark Houghton's "New Chapter" London to find out what Paul Phillips and myself have in our Volcanic Hot box's ..

ps. I aint packing played out records :D like New World ( a Chris B spin from 18 months ago at least) Wee , Mixed Feelings , The Crow , or the Salvadors ya know :shades:

Get down there after work Wednesdays you City types , if ya can take the HEAT :lol:

Simon thumbsup.gif

ps. My hot tip to wrighty , Babs St Clair is outa the squad too

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Get down there after work Wednesdays you City types , if ya can take the HEAT :lol:

Simon :wicked:

My god man, keep it quiet :lol: we don't actually want people there....it'll lose all its mystique wicked.gif

:D:shades::lol:

For anyone who does fancy this Wednesday full of soul here's the details, dates and future guests..

Cheers Girth

A New Chapter @ The 3 Blind Mice, 5 Ravey St (just off Great Eastern St) London EC2. Regulars Gareth Donovan,Steve Cole and Mark Houghton with special guests.6.30 till 11.30 with FREE admission.

18th April - Guest Special with Marcus Bell, Binsy, Wayne Arbon and Russ 'The Daddy' Edkins - the residents put their feet up for the night...

16th May - The 80's Special Pt 2 with Simon Murray and Paul Phillips

20th June - Mick O Donnell

18th July - The 5th Anniversary Party - Residents only and Girth Devon's 40th Celebration...bring on the flavoured vodka's......

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

My god man, keep it quiet ph34r.gif we don't actually want people there....it'll lose all its mystique :wicked:

:lol::lol::D

For anyone who does fancy this Wednesday full of soul here's the details, dates and future guests..

Cheers Girth

A New Chapter @ The 3 Blind Mice, 5 Ravey St (just off Great Eastern St) London EC2. Regulars Gareth Donovan,Steve Cole and Mark Houghton with special guests.6.30 till 11.30 with FREE admission.

18th April - Guest Special with Marcus Bell, Binsy, Wayne Arbon and Russ 'The Daddy' Edkins - the residents put their feet up for the night...

16th May - The 80's Special Pt 2 with Simon Murray and Paul Phillips

20th June - Mick O Donnell

18th July - The 5th Anniversary Party - Residents only and Girth Devon's 40th Celebration...bring on the flavoured vodka's......

OOhh Yesh hic ... , book a day off to recover !

Social source share

Guest Daddy

Firstly I'd like to say I couldn't give a rats arse if you are a hot DJ or normal Dj, or someone who just choose a good soul track on the jukebox. I like people who play soul music. I do dislike lies though, so I thought I write this quick review.

Anatomy of a Hot Box DJ

Seems to me like there's two types of hot box DJ. First among them are those that have decades of soul collecting behind them and a taste honed by geniunely knowing thousands of soul records. These DJs know a hot record when they find one because its hot to them. It takes years, or perhaps a divine taste to get there and credit to them.

Then you get the second type, the flashy newcomer who pretends to be the former. This one clings to the coat tails of the first type of hot DJ, perhaps buying their offcasts, hiring them, wanting to be them, be around them - so that eventually they can play along side them in the hope that respect rubs off. This second type will try and pass himself off as the first type the drop of a hat, despite not really knowing that much about soul in comparison, perhaps not even feeling it, while masking themselves in camouflage by slagging off as inept, washed out or without taste most other soul DJs. The camouflage might extend to throwaway comments like "a famous DJs took me under his wing", which to the unknowing might sound impressive however disingenious. As an interesting anthropoligical experient, try playing some classic Northern tracks to this second type of hot box DJ and ask them to name them. Or better still, tell them these are hot new tracks and that you have spares :wicked:

In essence we are talking about a queue jumper. They are not bad people, but they are not that healthy either, especially when they slag off other soulies. I suspect the camouflage gets quite itchy to wear sometimes, and makes them quite a tense person to be about.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I assume your the first type , with a name like Daddy ? :lol:

No, I'm afraid he's from a public school, look slike the singer from Simply Red and collects Chinese jazz 12" and he makes his living selling hemp products to students and hippies.

Nice shot though Mr Ellerbeck. Good effort :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

No, I'm afraid he's from a public school, look slike the singer from Simply Red (Mick H) and collects Chinese jazz 12" and he now makes his living selling hemp products to students and hippies and trys his best to cross forum trade by posting up wants lists on here for funk records having first found out how much people are prepared to pay by posting up auction lists before he even has the records on the funk forum and then sells what he gets here over on the funk forum. His best soul record he found on Gemm for $40 that happens to be the Trent Sisters (I'm not jealous, honest :lol: ). When it arrived in the post he shat his pants and as he' never had a record like that before and he ran around everyone trying to get the best price he could, but he fucked up sold it too cheap to Japan and it ended up flying straight back to the UK for quite alot more money than he sold it for and is now in the safe hands of a seasoned collector with a very hot box :lol:

James, i thought 'Daddy's' comments were pretty good and i sent him a PM and told him so, i think we all have the scene's best interest at heart and we do what we do the best way we can mostly with a passion, perhaps this thread is now getting a little personal as i suspect you and Daddy know each other????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, i thought 'Daddy's' comments were pretty good and i sent him a PM and told him so, i think we all have the scene's best interest at heart and we do what we do the best way we can mostly with a passion, perhaps this thread is now getting a little personal as i suspect you and Daddy know each other????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I'm afraid James Ellerbeck (Daddy) doesn't have the scene's interests at heart. He's a hemp oil sales man who hates northern soul. He doesn't like soul music, he's into weird far eastern jazz albums and only buys soul and funk to sell on for profit as there's not much money in hemp oil :lol:

And yes, "Daddy" and I do know each other.

Social source share

I'm afraid James Ellerbeck (Daddy) doesn't have the scene's interests at heart. He's a hemp oil sales man who hates northern soul. He doesn't like soul music, he's into weird far eastern jazz albums and only buys soul and funk to sell on for profit as there's not much money in hemp oil :lol:

And yes, "Daddy" and I do know each other.

Ok James.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ps - Does 'The Continental Show Stoppers' - I'm Not Too Young - White Demo qualify as a 'Hot Box' record???? going in box two whatever and thats pretty darn hot anyway....lol

Social source share

Guest Daddy

No, I'm afraid he's from a public school, look slike the singer from Simply Red (Mick H) and collects Chinese jazz 12" and he now makes his living selling hemp products to students and hippies and trys his best to cross forum trade by posting up wants lists on here for funk records having first found out how much people are prepared to pay by posting up auction lists before he even has the records on the funk forum and then sells what he gets here over on the funk forum. His best soul record he found on Gemm for $40 that happens to be the Trent Sisters (I'm not jealous, honest :lol: ). When it arrived in the post he shat his pants and as he' never had a record like that before and he ran around everyone trying to get the best price he could, but he fucked up sold it too cheap to Japan and it ended up flying straight back to the UK for quite alot more money than he sold it for and is now in the safe hands of a seasoned collector with a very hot box :lol:

I see my comments rang true then :lol:

Hemp oil ??? I test computers!

Edited by Daddy
Social source share

Ps - Does 'The Continental Show Stoppers' - I'm Not Too Young - White Demo qualify as a 'Hot Box' record???? going in box two whatever and thats pretty darn hot anyway....lol

Nice version though I rate the Jackey Beavers over all attempts at that - maybe pitched down a notch though :lol:

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Come on Rod say something...lol i see you lurking there at the bottom of the page, i can also see the cogs working and you are now ready to contribute to this thread from a man who's box is well forget 'Hot' it's simply 'White Hot'...over to you Mr Shard...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Jokes aside , Rod has already made a notable contribution to this thread Mark .

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ok James.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well, since it's a white demo it surely must be... :lol::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert