Hot Box Deejaying

Souljazera

• Replies 178
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Simon, i know he has mate, Rod and myself are very good friends despite what he says...lol and i was just trying to inject a little humour here nothing more.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ok Mark , it has been a funny thread IMO ..with some serious undertones . :lol:

Social source share

It seems given the very high price in both time and money to obtain both tunes and knowledge of rare soul the only way to knock out of the way the inept, the tastless, the washed up and the wallies was to get as strong a DJ set together as physically possible through clever trading, a willingless to let records go in order to get in new and exciting tunes, plenty of determination and aggression, not being afraid to take a few risks and plenty of good taste to build a competative DJ set to make people sit up and take notice.

James I think this is what Sam's been doing for years? People may love his sets, or not (personally I love them), but he's always got that battered sales box out wheeling and dealing! (and always very fairly IMO). Top guy and the top 'proper' DJ on the scene I reckon. The right attitude to both the dancefloor and to his tunes IMHO (and not bad on a pension, as he often says! :lol: ).

Then again, as I said (tongue firmly in cheek) to him at Prestatyn, I don't need to go and hear him out so much nowadays as there's always some other cheeky monkey out there trying to play his spot anyway...... And maybe that's why the 'ultimate hot-box' idea could ultimately fail. Everyone would end up chasing the same tunes (maybe we all are anyway?). Using your footy analogy, the team with the most cash would, in the long run, probably come out on top even though, at their heart, they've got no 'feel' for our beautiful game. Look at Abramovich... Football fan or business man? Potential long term servant to the game or playing with his new toy? Or does it matter just as long as his mob (oops!) finish top of the pile?

Then again, on the subject of money can't buy me love (or top DJ'dom), whatever happened to Steve Chadwick? Is he still around? :lol: (Genuine question)

Basically, I think your suggestion is bang on as far as trying to provide the best set possible every time (whilst taking the needs of the venue into account of course). Play the best records for the situation. Plus I reckon every venue should limit DJ's to just one 50 count box of tunes. It always amuses me when DJ's look like they need a fork-lift truck to bring their box into a venue, and then 20 out of it get played! :lol:

Steve

Social source share

Guest Roddy

Interesting topic,

If not a good way to get people to post their top sounds to all and sundrae

I am a punter first, collector second, and a dj third.

I only dj when asked and enjoy the fun of getting/watching people to dance to the tunes I am playing haviing heard young mr trouble play at a couple of venues in London I was impressed by his sets.

But I think a coule of points worthy of debate that given how fragmented the scene is and how within every soul night/nighter there is another one screaming to get out.

How you all propose to have enough "hot box" djs to go round all the soul nights in the country e.g in Scotland there is something on every friday/saturday for the next three months in fact sometimes three nights on at the same time.

The main problem that the music is too accessable through the internet cds etc for people to travel any more,

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James I think this is what Sam's been doing for years? People may love his sets, or not (personally I love them), but he's always got that battered sales box out wheeling and dealing! (and always very fairly IMO). Top guy and the top 'proper' DJ on the scene I reckon. The right attitude to both the dancefloor and to his tunes IMHO (and not bad on a pension, as he often says! :lol: ).

Then again, as I said (tongue firmly in cheek) to him at Prestatyn, I don't need to go and hear him out so much nowadays as there's always some other cheeky monkey out there trying to play his spot anyway...... And maybe that's why the 'ultimate hot-box' idea could ultimately fail. Everyone would end up chasing the same tunes (maybe we all are anyway?). Using your footy analogy, the team with the most cash would, in the long run, probably come out on top even though, at their heart, they've got no 'feel' for our beautiful game. Look at Abramovich... Football fan or business man? Potential long term servant to the game or playing with his new toy? Or does it matter just as long as his mob (oops!) finish top of the pile?

Then again, on the subject of money can't buy me love (or top DJ'dom), whatever happened to Steve Chadwick? Is he still around? :lol: (Genuine question)

Basically, I think your suggestion is bang on as far as trying to provide the best set possible every time (whilst taking the needs of the venue into account of course). Play the best records for the situation. Plus I reckon every venue should limit DJ's to just one 50 count box of tunes. It always amuses me when DJ's look like they need a fork-lift truck to bring their box into a venue, and then 20 out of it get played! :lol:

Steve

I agree, it's anoying when everyone is chasing the same tunes, which is as you have pointed out, quite common. But this is common in all club cultures to a degree? Some DJs will always be ahead of the curve though? Those that are prepared to sell tunes when they reach their peak and cash in maximum profit and then use that to get a fresher sound in? And even if they dont' have to sell to buy, there will still be a DJ who is prepared to drop a sound before all other DJs and replace it with a new one?

Soul Sam playing New World in the Prestatyn main room is a good example of this kind of attitude that makes the rare soul club scene such an exciting place to be most of the time. Hearing Jo Jama for the 1000th time is the worst part for me.

I think people copying other people's sets is another issue and if you don't like it the best way to avoid this is to either make sure you are playing records that are impossibly rare or make sure you move tunes on very quickly so the copy cats can't keep up :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Interesting topic,

If not a good way to get people to post their top sounds to all and sundrae

I am a punter first, collector second, and a dj third.

I only dj when asked and enjoy the fun of getting/watching people to dance to the tunes I am playing haviing heard young mr trouble play at a couple of venues in London I was impressed by his sets.

But I think a coule of points worthy of debate that given how fragmented the scene is and how within every soul night/nighter there is another one screaming to get out.

How you all propose to have enough "hot box" djs to go round all the soul nights in the country e.g in Scotland there is something on every friday/saturday for the next three months in fact sometimes three nights on at the same time.

The main problem that the music is too accessable through the internet cds etc for people to travel any more,

Thankyou for your kind comments about my sets sir.

I think this "hot box" thing is a little muddled. For me it's about putting together as strong a DJ set as physically possible. Focus on the DJ set rather than the collection. Roddy, if I suggested that you would put together a stronger DJ set if you sold your entire collection and used the resources and condense it all into say a 100 box, or a 150 box would I be wrong? That's what it's about for me. It's different mentality to a record collector. A focus on the club set, not a private satisfaction of a huge library of tunes. If more people did that I think the rare soul club scene would be better for it. In my opinion it's the only way people of my generation can bring their sets up to the standard of the top end DJs, some of whom have been mentioned on this thread.

So in my opinion, 'hot boxing' will increase the quality of DJing on the soul scene.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James

Have you got Parliaments on Cabell yet :lol::lol:

I had it for about 6 months, sold it about 3 years ago :lol::lol::(

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I agree, it's anoying when everyone is chasing the same tunes, which is as you have pointed out, quite common. But this is common in all club cultures to a degree? Some DJs will always be ahead of the curve though? Those that are prepared to sell tunes when they reach their peak and cash in maximum profit and then use that to get a fresher sound in? And even if they dont' have to sell to buy, there will still be a DJ who is prepared to drop a sound before all other DJs and replace it with a new one?

Soul Sam playing New World in the Prestatyn main room is a good example of this kind of attitude that makes the rare soul club scene such an exciting place to be most of the time. Hearing Jo Jama for the 1000th time is the worst part for me.

I think people copying other people's sets is another issue and if you don't like it the best way to avoid this is to either make sure you are playing records that are impossibly rare or make sure you move tunes on very quickly so the copy cats can't keep up :lol:

So young man, are you bringing your hottest box up to Solihull on the 7th April. Much of what James says is close on the money. All that wish to be DJ's should constantly question themselves, 'do I try hard enough, does my set sound fresh'. I have heard some DJ's say to me, 'oh it's easy just turn up and play records'. I still go through hell every time I DJ, always believeing that I could have done better. Not cuz I have some kind of floor, just cuz I want people to enjoy themselves and occassionally be suprised. It's about passion

See you James and anyone else that fancies a good nite out on the 7th

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It is about passion,travelling and fun.

James I will enjoy talking to you about this at Sunderland

Very true Roddy. See you in Sunderland sir... :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

So young man, are you bringing your hottest box up to Solihull on the 7th April.

That I will Mr Thorely. And I've got a pretty hot new 6ts tune to pick up tomorrow that should turn up the heat nicely for you. I'm looking forward to it... :no:

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I think people copying other people's sets is another issue and if you don't like it the best way to avoid this is to either make sure you are playing records that are impossibly rare or make sure you move tunes on very quickly so the copy cats can't keep up :no:

When everyone is chasing the same tunes that makes the nights secondary. After all if you hear the same sets at each weekend, why bother going? That's why the "bring your iPod and DJ" nights lasted about a month in NYC. No one wants to hear the same songs played by five different people every week...

A good DJ will know how to use the "hot tunes" and when to move on. I tend to drop songs that my partners use at a night. And set copying is a bit easier to deal with. I just play more stuff I know cannot be located easily by the copier. Plus you move on so the copier is always a few steps behind.

Social source share

One thing you must be, however hot your box might be, is fully confident in the quality of the sounds you are playing.

With that thought....

PS Simon, we're still waiting for your cover ups - so far you've wussed out - I assume because we'll probably know them :):no:

Social source share

One thing you must be, however hot your box might be, is fully confident in the quality of the sounds you are playing.

:no:

Any way hot box DJs are all chasers of the same records on most occasions would much rather here some one with a personal touch than playing records every one is chasing

Social source share

Any way hot box DJs are all chasers of the same records on most occasions would much rather here some one with a personal touch than playing records every one is chasing

Yes but a few hot box sounds are OK surely? I agree with the sentiment though.....

Social source share

With that thought....

PS Simon, we're still waiting for your cover ups - so far you've wussed out - I assume because we'll probably know them :D:)

I dont do coverups Steve , never have , I want everyone to know what Im playing :no: ..You will have to come to New Chapter , and perhaps the Skegness November weekender ( Rock City Nighter Reunion ) to hear lots of tunes you dont have from myself and Paul Phillips ..you know it makes sence for your wants list ..

Social source share

I dont do coverups Steve , never have , I want everyone to know what Im playing :no: ..You will have to come to New Chapter , and perhaps the Skegness November weekender ( Rock City Nighter Reunion ) to hear lots of tunes you dont have from myself and Paul Phillips ..you know it makes sence for your wants list ..

Just ask Sam about my record collection - he has been to the "lock up" and come out again :)

Social source share

Yes but a few hot box sounds are OK surely? I agree with the sentiment though.....

More than OK Steve they are on most occasions blooming fantastic, but like i say when every one is cashing them, hence geting done to death, they become boring along with the scene its self, Too many sheep and not enough sheapards! IMVHO

Social source share

Just ask Sam about my record collection - he has been to the "lock up" and come out again :)

Yes I know about your collection Steve and Sams , but you never know what you might here ( ..and we'd gladly give you all the information about the tracks played and may have spare copies :no:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Either i haven't grasped the principle of this Baz or you haven't .

There i no such thing as a "hot-box record" those records that make each individual DJ's hot box are individual to each one .

the idea is that a dj keeps (for example) a 200 Hot Box that they have chosen as their top items and that box is rotated with each tune bought , with no collection apart from the 200 tunes, thats why i said that listing records on this thread is irrelevent .

if each dj is looking for the same tunes then that is sysematic of todys soul scene and lazy dj's will do that anyway and nothing to do with the idea of hot box deejaying

Davie

Social source share

There is no such thing as a "hot-box record" those records that make each individual DJ's hot box are individual to each one .

the idea is that a dj keeps (for example) a 200 Hot Box that they have chosen as their top items and that box is rotated with each tune bought , with no collection apart from the 200 tunes, thats why i said that listing records on this thread is irrelevent .

that's exactly right, although there's no reason that a 'hot box' deejay couldn't also have a collection totally separate from the stuff they deejay with - maybe JT could get into those far eastern Jazz LPs too...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

that's exactly right, although there's no reason that a 'hot box' deejay couldn't also have a collection totally separate from the stuff they deejay with - maybe JT could get into those far eastern Jazz LPs too...

very true indeed , i never factored in ballads and other styles that are not dj'able

Social source share

There i no such thing as a "hot-box record" those records that make each individual DJ's hot box are individual to each one .

if each dj is looking for the same tunes then that is sysematic of todys soul scene and lazy dj's will do that anyway and nothing to do with the idea of hot box deejaying

Davie

I'm baffled by all this! :)

I want to be able to go out every Friday night, travelling no more than 15 miles, drink too much and wobble about to great records that I know, like Ruby Andrews and Carla Thomas. Surely nobody would remove them from their hotbox? Am I missing the point? :no:

Social source share

Davie

Proberly me mate :)

Sooooo in order to be a hot bolox DJ you have to just buy choons for the dance floor and none for your self....................PAH keep your hot boxes i'll stick to how im doing things now thanks :no::D

Its all irrelevant really, or am i really missing the piont.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I'm baffled by all this! :)

I want to be able to go out every Friday night, travelling no more than 15 miles, drink too much and wobble about to great records that I know, like Ruby Andrews and Carla Thomas. Surely nobody would remove them from their hotbox? Am I missing the point? :no:

Not really. If I'm making money at the bar playing the same tracks at a spot on a regular basis, then I do it. But when there's more than one night going on, I want to make anyone who misses my night regret it...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I'm baffled by all this! :lol:

I want to be able to go out every Friday night, travelling no more than 15 miles, drink too much and wobble about to great records that I know, like Ruby Andrews and Carla Thomas. Surely nobody would remove them from their hotbox? Am I missing the point? :)

hey dave mate i'm sure in england thats easy done :D:no:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Proberly me mate :)

Sooooo in order to be a hot bolox DJ you have to just buy choons for the dance floor and none for your self....................PAH keep your hot boxes i'll stick to how im doing things now thanks :no::D

thats it exactly mate .... although i would say i buy records fr myself , but only the ones i can dj with hahaha

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hmm i thought it was clear what a hotbox was earlier, but there are now conflicting views it seems:

Hotbox - A box of the lastest and most popular sounds played across the scene (this runs the risk as Baz has said of loads of copycat DJs all playing the same spot).

OR

Hotbox - A box of stuff rarely played out and rarely heard, some even newies, put together in an original set by a DJ, not necessarily containing expensive or popular sounds, but definately not containing any mouldy oldies.

I prefer the second definition and it's one that anyone can aspire too.

Social source share

Hmm i thought it was clear what a hotbox was earlier, but there are now conflicting views it seems:

Hotbox - A box of the lastest and most popular sounds played across the scene (this runs the risk as Baz has said of loads of copycat DJs all playing the same spot).

OR

Hotbox - A box of stuff rarely played out and rarely heard, some even newies, put together in an original set by a DJ, not necessarily containing expensive or popular sounds, but definately not containing any mouldy oldies.

The original theme was on the former - i.e. what tunes would you theoretically HAVE to put in the hotbox - on the basis you were rotating 200 records - well that's how I read it, hence titles like New World, S&F etc.

However I prefer to hear jocks play different sounds, so the notion of newies and unknowns in the box really appeals to me, but obviously not as appealing to the dancefloor. So in reality we carry a bit of each around with us and the good dj will balance a little of both.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

However I prefer to hear jocks play different sounds, so the notion of newies and unknowns in the box really appeals to me, but obviously not as appealing to the dancefloor. So in reality we carry a bit of each around with us and the good dj will balance a little of both.

A good DJ can drop the newies and unknowns into a set and keep the dancefloor going. It all depends on how well you manage the floor...

Social source share

the hot box would reflect your tastes and not neccessarily anyone elses...of course it may reflect others tastes....thats ok...

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT BUT SHARE COMMON EXPERIENCES AND INTERPRET DIFFERENTLY

and that is the above common element to it....so please do make your choices known...there is no right or wrong answer it is merely discourse on a soul forum...the personal element that it may have developed into is not required...sharing ones ideas is.... thumbsup.gif

when we have quite a few recommendations rare or not...it doesnt matter its YOUR HOT BOX :thumbsup:

i will collate and post them

some interesting points made by all...thats what a forum is discussion :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

One in the hotbox

Wilfred Jackie Edwards - Keep On Running (WIRL JA 65, Byron Lee prod.)

The regulars are probably sick of it, but every one else is surprised to hear the original version of the song.

Social source share

OR

i think you're missing the point, at least as how JT defined a hot box in the original funk board thread. it's simply a box which is *all* the records that you own, for deejaying purposes. what you put in it is up to you, but obviously since it's a one-in/one-out policy for a record to come in it's going to have to be better/rarer/newer/etc than at least something already in the box in order to push something out to be sold or traded.

the fact that records don't have to be held on to, means they can be sold/traded in order to finance big purchases... i think the original thread subject referred to the first definition of yours above though.

anyway, sorry to go on about that when the thread starter meant something else, just the hot box discussion is quite an interesting one, with the added bonus of some Trouble/Ellerbeck fighting which is always a joy to read...

Edited by bongolia
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think you're missing the point, at least as how JT defined a hot box in the original funk board thread. it's simply a box which is *all* the records that you own, for deejaying purposes. what you put in it is up to you, but obviously since it's a one-in/one-out policy for a record to come in it's going to have to be better/rarer/newer/etc than at least something already in the box in order to push something out to be sold or traded.

the fact that records don't have to be held on to, means they can be sold/traded in order to finance big purchases... i think the original thread subject referred to the first definition of yours above though.

anyway, sorry to go on about that when the thread starter meant something else, just the hot box discussion is quite an interesting one, with the added bonus of some Trouble/Ellerbeck fighting which is always a joy to read...

thats how i took it , i'm finding it very interesting as well ....

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

i think you're missing the point, at least as how JT defined a hot box in the original funk board thread. it's simply a box which is *all* the records that you own, for deejaying purposes. what you put in it is up to you, but obviously since it's a one-in/one-out policy for a record to come in it's going to have to be better/rarer/newer/etc than at least something already in the box in order to push something out to be sold or traded. the fact that records don't have to be held on to, means they can be sold/traded in order to finance big purchases... i think the original thread subject referred to the first definition of yours above though.

Er.. go back and read post 8. I know exactly what James meant thanks. :thumbsup:

Social source share

That makes sense to me :thumbsup:

I particularly liked that Sanvadors (?) thing that JT was playing when I heard him a couple of months ago. ( Stay By Me Babe ???) Probably a £2000 Chicago thing covered up that you can't get on any other format rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I wonder what left the " Hot Box " for that ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i just getting confused with all this and i can't be arsed to read it all. but hot box let me say should we just keep the records we want so we can sell the rest to fund for more cause it's not something i want. most of the time there are tracks i like and want and then i end up finding and buying stuff i didn't know so i think nice. The more the better and if it gets to full then when or if i DJed.

All the stuff can be sorted so i can rotate songs and stuff and certain records i am gonna play all the time would be there ie 3 songs i must play out then say 11 i mix and match and again if requests happen and i have the tune i play it or say i left it at home but next time will bring it.

Social source share

Cookie Jackson "Find me a lover" could be propelled from 20 quid to 3 figures if a hotbox DJ gave it some hammer. I bet it would sound immense over a large system.

Edited by burysoul
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That makes sense to me :yes:

I particularly liked that Sanvadors (?) thing that JT was playing when I heard him a couple of months ago. ( Stay By Me Babe ???) Probably a £2000 Chicago thing covered up that you can't get on any other format :P

Anyway, I wonder what left the " Hot Box " for that ? :thumbsup:

LOL, that'll be the Profesnials - I'll Tell You Why I Love You C/U that I had to let go whistling.gif

i just getting confused with all this and i can't be arsed to read it all. but hot box let me say should we just keep the records we want so we can sell the rest to fund for more cause it's not something i want. most of the time there are tracks i like and want and then i end up finding and buying stuff i didn't know so i think nice. The more the better and if it gets to full then when or if i DJed.

Hi Paul, it's not somthing that everyone should do, it's not like YOU HAVE TO DO THIS! It's just that with the asphyxiating prices both in terms of money and time to obtain great records it makes sense to me for people of my generation, and now the generation below me to take an aggressive and very focused approach to rare soul collecting if they have ambition to DJ on the scene while the hour long set remains the norm.

This isn't about oldies/newies/upfront/unknowns/indemanders etc, this is about a focus on the club scene, the adrenaline of the dance and DJs who are not prepared to compromise in their efforts to give the dancers a good party. DJs who compromise, or who are not focused on this should probably not be up there DJing IMO.

Of course, this is not to say that collectors can't be good DJs, of course they can, and this is more relevent to someone of my age, or someone younger who physically can not catch up with the people who have been at it since the 70s and 80s, assuming they have a normal salary and job, and assuming they want to be up there DJing and are trying to give the dancers the best hour they are going to have all night.

It's like a horse race. If you have 10 average horses who don't stand a chance of coming first, do you put all of them into the race or sell them all and buy one good horse who does stand a chance of winning the race?

Of course if you already have 10 amazing horses who all stand a good chance of winning then this is irrelevent.

I'm bored of this now.

Somthing at the front of my 'hot box' at the moment...

Senetor Jones "Do You Love Me" on Shagg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Somthing at the front of my 'hot box' at the moment...

Senetor Jones "Do You Love Me" on Shagg

Superb aggressive piece of New Orleans soul there! :thumbsup: Have you heard the original version with the same backing track by Chuck Cornish on White Cliffs? A bit of a novelty take on it, and as a result not "hot box fodder", but interesting none the less.

In the same bag: "I Can't Do Without You" by Marty Lewis on Big Deal. Same kind of kick-ass never-let-up New Orleans material. thumbsup.gif

I guess both of these are considered established oldies though, so a good point that "hot box" tunes doesn't have to be newies. Just kick-ass, in-your-face, no-nonsense uptempo pounders. :P

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Superb aggressive piece of New Orleans soul there! :thumbsup: Have you heard the original version with the same backing track by Chuck Cornish on White Cliffs? A bit of a novelty take on it, and as a result not "hot box fodder", but interesting none the less.

In the same bag: "I Can't Do Without You" by Marty Lewis on Big Deal. Same kind of kick-ass never-let-up New Orleans material. thumbsup.gif

I guess both of these are considered established oldies though, so a good point that "hot box" tunes doesn't have to be newies. Just kick-ass, in-your-face, no-nonsense uptempo pounders. :P

Someone mentioned the Chuck Cornish to me. I've not heard it though. Is it worth posting a sound file, if you have one?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert