How many million pound + collections

Russoul1

Hi all, got thinking about how collections have gained values over recent years, and got me wondering how many collections out there are worth more than a million pounds, got to be a few sitting on a real gold mine.

Also must be a fair few collections in the hundred/s thousands.....

Discuss....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want your tender loving care, thats enough for me.

Seriously, I'd say 50, and no more.

BUT...the real dilemma is that would you play your ten grand tunes or keep them in the birth sleeve?

Sooner or later with rising prices, OVO will be a thing of the past....unless its ex chart records.

The irony of it all.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

BUT...the real dilemma is that would you play your ten grand tunes or keep them in the birth sleeve?

Sooner or later with rising prices, OVO will be a thing of the past....unless its ex chart records.

The irony of it all.

Ed

That’s an interesting point you make Ed.

I’m not sure OVO will be a thing of the past because of the sheer amount of cheaper records that are around in quantity, maybe? But playing the big sounds, well yes potentially that may be limited. Will we ever see the likes of The Ritz “Rarest of the Rare” again?

Social source share

11 hours ago, El Corol said:

I’m not sure OVO will be a thing of the past because of the sheer amount of cheaper records that are around in quantity, maybe? But playing the big sounds, well yes potentially that may be limited. Will we ever see the likes of The Ritz “Rarest of the Rare” again?

O.v.o will be around a long time yet! 

Never underestimate the power of the super ego!☺

I suppose o.v.o  holds things on an even keel. It keeps the novice totally inexperienced Tom, Dick and Harry from dj'ing at the big venues!

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

10 hours ago, Russoul1 said:

Hi all, got thinking about how collections have gained values over recent years, and got me wondering how many collections out there are worth more than a million pounds, got to be a few sitting on a real gold mine.

Also must be a fair few collections in the hundred/s thousands.....

Discuss....

Not sure any collection will be a goldmine in the future.... who is going to buy them after we have passed? The younger guys are often happy with any format. It's just the tune. They would ask "why pay a kings ransom if it sounds the same"? They do not seem to get the same buzz of seeing an original tune like Gwen Owens, Don Gardner, Salvadors etc... This is proven by some of the younger DJ's spinning CD's and even iPods.... I am not saying ALL... but many could not care. My point is...where will the market be? I would suspect a few collectors feel the same which is why they are shifting some of these tunes while they can?

I hope I am wrong!

Mark T

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 hours ago, El Corol said:

I would love to see a similar set up to the Ritz Rarest of the rare. They where fantastic.  Perhaps a one off type  like the Stafford reunion event a few years ago would work. Promoters  ...... Over to you . 

Regarding the million dollar/ pound collection I personally don't care who has what or why. As Karl says it's all about the music not the over inflated prices that we see weekly on auction sites 😀 

Ste

• Up vote 3
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

northern soul collectors and dj,s all over the world now , hard to see how its all going to stop the vinyl junkie must have in the short to medium term....

Not necessarily "Northern" soul??? - there are other DJs and collectors interested in other Genres - It seems ALL soul currently wherever you look is "Northern" soul???? - just saying :) 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Marktsoulman said:

Not sure any collection will be a goldmine in the future.... who is going to buy them after we have passed? The younger guys are often happy with any format. It's just the tune. They would ask "why pay a kings ransom if it sounds the same"? They do not seem to get the same buzz of seeing an original tune like Gwen Owens, Don Gardner, Salvadors etc... This is proven by some of the younger DJ's spinning CD's and even iPods.... I am not saying ALL... but many could not care. My point is...where will the market be? I would suspect a few collectors feel the same which is why they are shifting some of these tunes while they can?

I hope I am wrong!

Mark T

Completely agree with this statement, i made this point earlier - where will the "new" collectors be? there will be some of course but things will be very very different IMHO :) 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Steve G said:

The reality is no ones collection is worth a million (or indeed why stop there - much more in some cases) unless they can realise that sum on selling them. I can't think of anyone who is going to spend £1m+ on someone's collection. Therefore it is nothing more than an 'on paper' value for anything other than insurance purposes. Even if you started selling all the items in your collection two things would emerge very quickly:

1) it would take an age to shift all the big "value" items, and some wouldn't sell.

2) a lot of items have zero value because you won't be able to shift them at all. You've only got to look at some sales boxes to realise how stale many of them are.

Anyway, even the most ardent of collectors don't know all the other collectors globally or what other collectors have in their boxes / record rooms / lock ups etc.

Can we just get back to enjoying the music rather than constantly fretting about prices and values? 

Love to all X

Agreed.

I wonder if we'll ever see a 'northern soul records' equivalent of this post on Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stolen_paintings

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Keamus said:

Think we need a revisit to best records around for less than £20.

Everyone knows the big ticket items, but sure there’s loads of unknowns at the other end of the scale.

last weekend i was going through some old CDs and found a load from a CD swap on SS where the top value of the record was something like £20 - maybe that should be revisited (but no doubt the £20 tag is £100 now!)

i think there was even a niter with the same ethos, but i don't know if it was ever repeated?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Chalky said:

This forum gets more and more obsessed by the money involved in certain records.  Million pound collections, 1000 quid records, how mich will X fetch at auction.

It no longer seems to be about the music for some?

There are far far more affordable records than expensive.  Records you can Dj with, records you can simply enjoy. 

Spot on Chalky, it's what's in the grooves that counts.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

This forum gets more and more obsessed by the money involved in certain records.  Million pound collections, 1000 quid records, how mich will X fetch at auction.

It no longer seems to be about the music for some?

There are far far more affordable records than expensive.  Records you can Dj with, records you can simply enjoy. 

Realistically for the majority I think the music still comes first, but there’s a lot of people sitting on records with current values that would never have dreamed they might be worth what they are, so yes money becomes a bigger issue than ever before. The scene has always had a big element of oneupmanship (not John Manship) and cost of the record was often a part of that as much as if not more than rarity. I remember many times talking to collectors and sellers at do’s and the first thing said about a record was about its cost (in a boastful way) as opposed to rarity or commonness, that usually followed, if at all. It still goes on, how many times do you see on here and Facebook (especially) a thread about the cost of a record and the “one in my box” comments follow straight away. Or in a less blatant way, say a story about how they found one in the States in the 80s etc. Less blatant but the message is the same “Look What I Got” . And you see lots of those same people commenting it’s all about the music in other threads. I remember an older (than me) collector saying to me in the early 80s the scene is all about money. Not much has changed but the actual cost of the records.

Edited by El Corol
Grammar
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

38 minutes ago, El Corol said:

Realistically for the majority I think the music still comes first, but there’s a lot of people sitting on records with current values that would never have dreamed they might be worth what they are, so yes money becomes a bigger issue than ever before. The scene has always had a big element of oneupmanship (not John Manship) and cost of the record was often a part of that as much as if not more than rarity. I remember many times talking to collectors and sellers at do’s and the first thing said about a record was about its cost (in a boastful way) as opposed to rarity or commonness, that usually followed, if at all. It still goes on, how many times do you see on here and Facebook (especially) a thread about the cost of a record and the “one in my box” comments follow straight away. Or in a less blatant way, say a story about how they found one in the States in the 80s etc. Less blatant but the message is the same “Look What I Got” . And you see lots of those same people commenting it’s all about the music in other threads. I remember an older (than me) collector saying to me in the early 80s the scene is all about money. Not much has changed but the actual cost of the records.

Excellent post....people have always talked about cost...rightly or wrongly, but folk always have...mind you, equally, the people I knock about with also say..I picked this up for £10...have a listen.. great record!! Which is how it should be...at some of the rare under played nights you will listen to beauties at very little cost...thank you..Rob

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!