Who are The Best DJs,Currently?

John. When you back in the UK ?  Where you staying here in the  north or down south.? Could have a massive bearing on what you have available plus what type of music you want to listen to.  Top 500. R n B , Funky stuff, Modern, 70,s Crossover . Rare. 

Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Jez Jones said:

Gonna be difficult to answer that...not sure there are any 'charts'.of 'top DJ's..if there is who compiles them 🙂 dj's themslves ? lol 🙂

Jez we did up to the 9ts 

KR's Top 500 but

No charts for the past 20yrs 

Its now a nusic thing not DJ's 🙃

Edited by Kev John
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Butch if you're down south, if you're in the Midlands John Weston, Martin Farmer, Les Norman, Dave Rimmer, Ted Massey, Sean Chapman, Ashley Fellows, up northJordan Wilson has some interesting stuff.

If you want basically the top 500 almost anyone.

Heard everyone of these guys play....all excellent,  All can play an oldies set, a rare under played set and anything else in between...exactly what you want for me on a night out....thank you....Rob

Social source share

14 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

All can play an oldies set, a rare under played set and anything else in between...

I have enjoyed the records played by the DJ's already mentioned. A few more I did enjoy, but not sure if they still DJ, are Bob Hindsley and Mick H especially when he played his lesser know stuff in the DDA room in Lowton a few years back. I know Richard Searling is not top of the tree anymore, but he has great taste in Northern Soul and can still do a great spot.

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, D9 Ktf said:

I have enjoyed the records played by the DJ's already mentioned. A few more I did enjoy, but not sure if they still DJ, are Bob Hindsley and Mick H especially when he played his lesser know stuff in the DDA room in Lowton a few years back. I know Richard Searling is not top of the tree anymore, but he has great taste in Northern Soul and can still do a great spot.

Bob still DJs and was booked to do a set at the now cancelled Culcheth on Saturday night. And he is still up there with anyone. IMHO of course 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

but great taste and knows how to programme a set, unlike others I can think of who have some records but don't seem to have any idea how to string them together 

Yes I was going to say much the same.  Knowing what and when to play them makes a great DJ, not just having the rarest records.    The continuity of some dj's slots is a complete mix up.  Experience is needed to do it properly.

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

When looking at a good DJ, looking at the floor is a good place to start! With this in mind 2 DJ's that we always enjoy and always keep the Floor busy are Rod Looker (Soul at the Services) Widnes and Paul Lightly Nottingham. I would never say that they are the best because that's a personal opinion! However these guys always play a good mixed set! Worth going out of your way to see.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Potters4 said:

When looking at a good DJ, looking at the floor is a good place to start! With this in mind 2 DJ's that we always enjoy and always keep the Floor busy are Rod Looker (Soul at the Services) Widnes and Paul Lightly Nottingham. I would never say that they are the best because that's a personal opinion! However these guys always play a good mixed set! Worth going out of your way to see.

Nice to see Rod Looker is still playing the records.

I have not heard his set since 1978. I remember he had good records and kept the dance floor busy.

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

22 minutes ago, D9 Ktf said:

Nice to see Rod Looker is still playing the records.

I have not heard his set since 1978. I remember he had good records and kept the dance floor busy.

Rod . My old mate from Runcorn,  he runs  a monthly night as already mentioned at the Services Club on Prescot road in Widnes ( my home town ) always the gent and good taste in music.  

Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Its probably the same DJ's you listened to 22 years ago.  As new younger blood is not generally joining the "scene" (although it does happen), its just the same youth scene(s) of old, just getting older.   To me promoters aren't that keen on trying out new DJ's as they want ticket sales, sticking the the same established people who's been playing for the last 30 odd years.  Not getting into the boot/reissue playing, I believe that is the major reason for the multiple smaller events popping up in recent years.

Edited by John Reed
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

There's a few in Carlisle that can more than hold there own. George Hunt,  Dickie Watt, George Rouse, Tony  Hartness

Then there's  the North East

Col Denham,  Steve Wilson,  Baz Atkinson,  Kev Cane. Sorry if I've forgotten anyone.

Oops I can now add Chris Penn to the North East list, now the sheriff's have chased him out of the North West 😉😜 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I have the pleasure of arranging djs for the Boat Club, Nottingham (not the nighter)

I had booked a great line-up IMO but Covid had other idea's

Ted Massey - Ashley Fellows - John Parker - John Poole - Simon Richards - Hammie - Dave Raistrick - Simon Hunt - Mick Taylor - Nige Brown - Mick H - Chris Dolton.     I've tried getting Sean Chapman but no joy also tried persuading Andy Rix to no avail. 

All the above know there stuff and wont disappoint unless you want same old same old. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kev John said:

Ther is 1 lady DJ i'd put at top of the list @Pat Bleasdale

Superb taste in music & always loved her plays 

Lovely lady & a good friend helped out when available at the events i ran 

If we are talking Lady DJ's, then Avril Kesteven (Stamford) has to be in there! Always makes herself available and plays a good mixed set!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Potters4 said:

If we are talking Lady DJ's, then Avril Kesteven (Stamford) has to be in there! Always makes herself available and plays a good mixed set!

We are not talking about Lady DJ's

She is 1 of finest DJ's on the planet not just UK 

Never heard Avril playout !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi  Msssoulie  Nige ,,Huge Dix, { Why The Silly Avatars??}

As original poster {from a  DJ ,1969 } who should I Checkout /} Seems to be more D,Js than Punters }?

In the Begining,there was Brian Phillips ,Richard S Ian Levine ,Tony Jebb, Kev Roberts Ginger ,Sam and Russ.

As  Dave Godin said ,DJ,s are just plaigirsts ,they create Nada ?  LOL John .

Social source share

1 hour ago, John Hart said:

Hi  Msssoulie  Nige ,,Huge Dix, { Why The Silly Avatars??}

As original poster {from a  DJ ,1969 } who should I Checkout /} Seems to be more D,Js than Punters }?

In the Begining,there was Brian Phillips ,Richard S Ian Levine ,Tony Jebb, Kev Roberts Ginger ,Sam and Russ.

As  Dave Godin said ,DJ,s are just plaigirsts ,they create Nada ?  LOL John .

If the Huge Dix is a FUNNY AS FXXK PLAY on my name then let's hope we met up when you return here. The avatar is because my wife also uses this site.

If that sounds threatening , o we'll never mind I'm sure John Fart understands.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!