Gwen owens on jm’s

Dobber

12 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Just listed to auction,so another frenzy in the making!

but my question is,john mentions the spilt second skip? What is this?

The first pressing run is known to have a small skip (SKIPS ONE NOTE) towards the end of the track on most copies.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

Regarding the skip at end . I've been listening to all the ones posted on YouTube but I can't find one where I noticed it,  so does that mean that they have posted  reissues?  Or are there more good ones rather than the ones that skip?

Id say more likely to have used a cd or boot soundfile,but with the real image!

31 minutes ago, Tagtag said:

Given that the original - in any format - has always been said to be a "Holy Grail" then it is likely that most of the you tube clips are from 70's pressings. But of course we can't be sure.

I agree mate👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Greedy Mick said:

Whenever I have seen mick h play his demo I can't remember a skip . But at a niter my mind isn't at its best 👁👁🤪

My next question is how do you tell an original apart from the 70s reissue?? 

The demos don't skip, except this one.

The 'reissues' are styrene, I seem to remember

gwen parts 2.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tagtag said:

I seem to recall that the white demo's play slightly off centre - at least some of them do.

I think we all need to check Manship's guide later to refresh our memories.

Jim G post

Posted March 16, 2013

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Simon T said:

post-2354-0-43185200-1363422750_thumb.png

A-398953-1560840369-5741.jpeg.jpg

Really appreciate that, Really interesting, 

8 hours ago, Davey S said:

Good idea think my 8600 might be on the low side seeing how it's go up in one day , could it break £10,000 ?????

Think the demo above has already broken many records 🤪

Edited by Greedy Mick
Social source share

On 21/10/2021 at 19:00, Greedy Mick said:

Hope it didn't end up like Don Gardner 

The Don Gardner went to Australia via the short-lived  company 'Lee Rogers Couriers Ltd' following a recommendation from another satisfied customer

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Boyle said:

When Gwen came to the UK she brought 4 issues with her to sell (copies she claimed back from her family)       

Two copies had identical marking in the runout and two were completely different to to each other. So there must  of been at least 3 runs pressed. This may explain why some originals had the jump and others didn't. 

yes my mint issue (didn,t jump ) was from gwen at prestatyn. the w/d doesn,t jump to my knowledge.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

yes my mint issue (didn,t jump ) was from gwen at prestatyn. the w/d doesn,t jump to my knowledge.

I remember it well George   when you asked me to hold those three records ( why you parked your car )  of the artists that where appearing that night. It will be the only time that I ever had any of those records in my possession.  Still tell people about it now. 

Hope you're keeping safe and well mate 🙏

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I think the skip is really just down to the turntable and stylus. I've had three copies of the first pressing that is credited with having the skip, and all three played without skipping on a Technics 1200 with both a Shure Whitelabel and N44-7 weighted at 2.5 grams. Two of the copies would skip if you went up to 3 grams or below 2 grams. And oddly, they skipped in different places, but always towards the end of the song.

The real problem with this record is the fidelity of the second half. One of my old copies played through okay, but the other two (one was an EX copy) were practically unlistenable after the first half. Supposedly the demos have better fidelity throughout? 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Don Gardner should have been packed in a box in a box in a box... Why put a record in a thin packet that can be run over by a lorry when you can put it in a BIG box??? These scans of cracked records are traumatising...

I think if it was run over by a lorry, the size of a cardboard box would have made no difference to the end result to Don!!☹

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Julianb said:

I think if it was run over by a lorry, the size of a cardboard box would have made no difference to the end result to Don!!☹

But if the box was big enough, maybe it wouldn’t have fallen off the lorry in the first place, or the driver might have spotted it before driving off.

In any case, the theoretical inner box should have been an 8 inch by 8 inch cube chocker- block full of cardboard stiffeners, making the contents virtually indestructible.

Social source share

For the last 45 years, my top two tunes have been....Mr Washington's Tomangoes.....and this Velgo outing by Miss Owen's. Just cannot split them.

Number 3....alas is Mr Wilson's Dee Da Do.

Unlikely I'll ever own original copies.....the copies will have to do, but I have shaken the hands of said artists:)

Wanted and Needed is worth every penny of the £45 it used to sell for...but no doubt it will push close to £10k.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 22/10/2021 at 15:47, Nick Soule said:

I think the skip is really just down to the turntable and stylus. I've had three copies of the first pressing that is credited with having the skip, and all three played without skipping on a Technics 1200 with both a Shure Whitelabel and N44-7 weighted at 2.5 grams. Two of the copies would skip if you went up to 3 grams or below 2 grams. And oddly, they skipped in different places, but always towards the end of the song.

The real problem with this record is the fidelity of the second half. One of my old copies played through okay, but the other two (one was an EX copy) were practically unlistenable after the first half. Supposedly the demos have better fidelity throughout? 

My green stock copy (not sure which pressing) skips starting at some point after about a minute forty. It's not in the same spot every time. Agree that the sound is weird too. I haven't experimented too much with different weights and needles. I was able to get a good-sounding, non-skipping, solid minute and a half out of it on my live radio show last year before I chickened out and faded into the next record. (Luckily it cost me only 50 cents.)

Edited by Weingarden
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/10/2021 at 13:36, Mick Boyle said:

When Gwen came to the UK she brought 4 issues with her to sell (copies she claimed back from her family)       

Two copies had identical marking in the runout and two were completely different to to each other. So there must  of been at least 3 runs pressed. This may explain why some originals had the jump and others didn't. 

At that time Rob Thomas had those 4,  plus another 2 or three copies where in the room. I seem to remember that some copies had grooves  over the whole of the disk whilst a couple only 2/3rds .  I don't know which were 'skippers', but assumed those with the grooves closer together were skippers due the fact they were more cramped up.

Social source share

A friend of mine was dj'ing with an original vinyl copy. It was late and we had all had a few beers. He missed the sleeve and dropped it. Landing on it's edge, it rolled along the floor and he had to chase it! 😨We were all frozen with horror, but luckily it was alright! 👍 Gwen survived! We can laugh about it now, but it could have been costly!

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!