Carl Hall and Darrow Fletcher - Views...

My last new Topic post  i promise!! -  Well for a short while (i am on holiday)

I had a friendly (ish) debate with a friend which is a bit pointless to post and if no replies i completely understand.

We were talking about soul artists who should have but never became famous in the music industry, then we were talking about who had the best voice out of those - Male not female (no specific reason why) and artists who are pretty much under the radar unless your really into soul and who had a few songs.

Yep stupid and really really pointless (maybe fun?) but here goes. After our very critical analysis :) and shortlisted down to these two (they are of course just our personal opinions). Needed to have enough material to compare. Any other opinions regarding just these two only.

I said Darrow Fletcher overall

He said Carl Hall overall

PLEASE NOTE: strictly the voice and NOT about songs/which records were best.

LOL - I AM actually nuts i think? (so is he but he's not publicly posting and humiliating himself)

Thanks again

Edited by Source
title edited to reflect topic better
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Alan T said:

So what's wrong with saying Sam Dees ?

Absolutely Nothing - He has a Fantastic Voice, just wasn't the question as answered by two others :)

Also he is too known IMO to have counted - if he had done maybe 10-15 songs in total then perhaps he would have been one of the two? :)

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Both this mentioned in the OP food singers but there’s there are  loads more better.

I’d probably say Darrow just for the amount of solid records across the scene 

Thankyou Friend, Yes, again completely agree with your other two you threw into the mix but that was NOT the question? Also, agree maybe better although none better IMO than Darrow Fletcher - "What good am i" for "me" is utter singing perfection.

But if id said choose "anybody" then that question/responses would have be far toooooooo subjective - Had to be two. Maybe that should be another post, not by me though i've done enough :)

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

Thankyou Friend, Yes, again completely agree with your other two you threw into the mix but that was NOT the question? Also, agree maybe better although none better IMO than Darrow Fletcher - "What good am i" for "me" is utter singing perfection.

But if id said choose "anybody" then that question/responses would have be far toooooooo subjective - Had to be two. Maybe that should be another post, not by me though i've done enough :)

Woops :( ive just contradicted my own post by mentioning a song - Silly me.

Social source share

I personaly think both artists are great, however in my opinion there are thousands of soul singers who on their day have given us some incredible performances. But here's the thing, I bet Mike Terry could have recorded a whole pile of versions of 'What good am i' from other Detroit vocalists and they would, have sounded just as good, say if Sweet James Epps, JJ Barnes, Edward Hamilton were free?, Mr Epps has had the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention more often than Darrow Fletcher that's for sure. What about if Jerry Ragavoy had brought in Lou Courtney instead to cut 'What about you' or 'Change with the seasons', I reckon it would have sounded just as good. I'ts all about the material and the way the artist weaves his magic on the day.

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

My opinion is changing by the minute....but....what about you?

Ed

WOW, I really thought this post would be ignored and me suspended for posting a daft question!! - great to know not. OK, as it has and will veer off track (re original question) to other artists, my favourite vocal performances ever being The fletcher What good am i (he was 17 i believe??) and JP Robinson Our day is here - both make me look like a nut case when i am singing along with my can of Lynx. "personally"

Was just a bit of fun :) really.

1 hour ago, Still Diggin said:

I personaly think both artists are great, however in my opinion there are thousands of soul singers who on their day have given us some incredible performances. But here's the thing, I bet Mike Terry could have recorded a whole pile of versions of 'What good am i' from other Detroit vocalists and they would, have sounded just as good, say if Sweet James Epps, JJ Barnes, Edward Hamilton were free?, Mr Epps has had the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention more often than Darrow Fletcher that's for sure. What about if Jerry Ragavoy had brought in Lou Courtney instead to cut 'What about you' or 'Change with the seasons', I reckon it would have sounded just as good. I'ts all about the material and the way the artist weaves his magic on the day.

Interesting!! :)

Social source share

4 hours ago, Soulsearch said:

No way!!! but if basing it alone on What about you and a good Darrow Fletcher then a pretty close call :)

Tommy Tate is one of the great male vocalists but failed to get the recognition he deserved outside the soul music circle.  He is far superior to Darrow I’m afraid in just about every department.  I do like Darrow, seen him twice, one show I filmed and he has better records to his name than What Good Am I but he ain’t no Tommy Tate. 

Social source share

19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Not really heard enough songs from either of them to say who is the best. I did read your post : )😃

Ste

OK, didn't want to mention "specific" songs but if to compare voices then probably IMO would compare:

What good am i by Mr Fletcher

What about you by Mr Hall

I think both songs are strong enough to compare voices - all so subjective though?? :) and just a bit of fun really , i felt reading previous forum questions some can get rather "heated" and  often appeal to a relatively small group. My one was  - yes, just random!

Social source share

Darrow is top of the tree for me, everything they did is sublime imho, carl good but not in the same league to these ears. Darrow has a distinct and unique voice that's easy to recognise.

Female I'd go for Rochelle Flemming, of first choice, hope she not too mainstream. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Darrow is top of the tree for me, everything they did is sublime imho, carl good but not in the same league to these ears. Darrow has a distinct and unique voice that's easy to recognise.

Female I'd go for Rochelle Flemming, of first choice, hope she not too mainstream. 

I really don't know how this vocal can be beat in terms of the music style we love...

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!