Walter Scott ( Bob Cuban )

Linda4me

Extract here:

unbeknownst to Kuban, their manager, of all people, was trying to break up the group. “Mel Friedman was the manager at the time, and at first, things were going very well with him, but it got so he had an agenda, which, unfortunately, didn’t involve me,” Kuban told me.

“He started causing a lot of problems because he saw the advantage of Wally breaking away for his own purposes. Wally was a very good lead singer, and he was like a Fabian or Frankie Avalon, a good showman, a good-looking guy, and Mel obviously wanted to pull Wally away from the band.”

The next thing Kuban knew, “despite the fact that we had a hit record, all of a sudden, the band was breaking up, and guys were leaving. I was in shock because I didn’t know why this was happening.” Scott left and opted for a solo career, though neither he nor the other members of the group matched the magic they had held collectively. “It was only years later that Wally told me what had happened, because by then, he realized what an opportunity we had and that Friedman had blown it for all of us. He got hold of good talent and screwed it up.”

Despite the acrimony of the group’s split, nearly 20 years after their dissolution, the band was preparing for a big reunion concert when Walter Scott mysteriously disappeared in December 1983.

In time, a bizarre tale unfolded that has even been the subject of its own book. Scott was tied up, shot in the back, and thrown into a cistern where his decomposed body was finally found in 1987. Eventually, the boyfriend (and later husband) of Scott’s second wife was found guilty of the murder (and his own wife’s) and given two life sentences. Scott’s ex-wife was also convicted of hindering the prosecution of the murder and sentenced to five years in prison. It’s obviously a cruel irony that saw the lead singer on “The Cheater” meeting his untimely end in the way that he did.

Kuban continues to perform to this day. He has recorded some solo efforts and has a band that is highly regarded and plays a variety of venues across the Midwest. One can’t blame him for thinking as he does, though, that “if Mel Friedman had stayed out of everything, we probably would have been a very successful group for many years.”

Tough luck for the cheater!

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Extract here:

can you post the link where you sourced this from 

as per 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/source-help/content-guidelines/

If you do wish to inform members about a third party article that may be of interest, you can post a title and a brief clip highlighting the content (if felt needed) along with a link to the full article.

This helps the original website/magazine/author and avoids any potential copyright issues

Social source share

12 hours ago, D9 Ktf said:

Someone told me there are two Walter Scotts. The Ivanhoe label "Brand New Girl" Walter Scott is a supposed different artist to the one mentioned in this post.

I'm about 99% sure the Ivanhoe Walter Scott is a different artist- I think this is the same person who recorded as Fortson and Scott for the Pzazz label.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!