Buying From Europe

• Replies 7
  • Views 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

In similar vein . . . . I bought a 45 from an EBay seller based in USA, VAT was paid as part of the Ebay transaction. When the package arrived at my local sorting office charges (inc. VAT) were applied. When I questioned this I was told that I would have to pay the charges and then re-claim from HMRC. Wasn't too impressed at this point, however, things went downhill from there. The only response I could get from HMRC / Border Force was submit a claim (fill in a form and post it to them, no online capability). By the time I was even in a position to do this the package was on it's way back to the USA.  The seller was very sympathetic and immediately refunded me on receiving the 45. Here's the rub though . . . EBay would only refund the cost of the 45 + shipping BUT NOT THE VAT applied so £20 down on the deal.  🤬

Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulgalore said:

In similar vein . . . . I bought a 45 from an EBay seller based in USA, VAT was paid as part of the Ebay transaction. When the package arrived at my local sorting office charges (inc. VAT) were applied. When I questioned this I was told that I would have to pay the charges and then re-claim from HMRC. Wasn't too impressed at this point, however, things went downhill from there. The only response I could get from HMRC / Border Force was submit a claim (fill in a form and post it to them, no online capability). By the time I was even in a position to do this the package was on it's way back to the USA.  The seller was very sympathetic and immediately refunded me on receiving the 45. Here's the rub though . . . EBay would only refund the cost of the 45 + shipping BUT NOT THE VAT applied so £20 down on the deal.  🤬

I do wonder if they actually know what they are doing or just making up as they go along. Absolutely make a claim for the VAT back (I wonder why Paypal were ditched ? maybe for this and other reasons)

15 hours ago, Andy northwood said:

Has anyone reading this bought a 45 from Europe recently? 
Just wondering if there are any implications with postage, hidden charges etc.
Thanks in advance 

I think it depends who from Andy Ebay, Discogs or private. There are different rules

Social source share

16 hours ago, Andy northwood said:

Has anyone reading this bought a 45 from Europe recently? 
Just wondering if there are any implications with postage, hidden charges etc.
Thanks in advance 

Brought some 45's through ebay France 20% vat on all orders needs to be factored in  items get through ok with no other charges Canada and Oz 20% vat and customs held them for 6 week or more but no extra charges also the vat is on disc+ postage....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert