Richard

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest melandthensome

My first ever Soul Record was 'Moody Woman' by Jerry Butler on uk Mercury way back in 1970 aged 11yrs.

Sorry sweet-cakes.....LOL

I know how ya just dig the english material :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

3,124 registered active members and only 5 can remember the 1st record they bought?? :search:

We're trying to remember-it was a long time ago!

Funnily enough I can remember my first non soul records but I can't possibly say! whistling.gif

Social source share

First original I think - Rex Garvin - Sock it to 'em jb on Like off Dave Withers stall when still at school poss 1984/85.

First northern soul record Keepin The Faith LP a year or so before that possibly - I think i'll have to credit Barnsey for getting me into Northern at school. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Miff

That was the task I set myself as a collector, Demo & Stock Copy.

I gave it my best shot but now I'm older I realise It's impossible. :thumbsup:

Respect :thumbsup:

Social source share

Respect :thumbsup:

First record i ever bought non soul was Alice Cooper - 'Schools Out' when i was 12 back in 1972, first Soul/Motown 45 was R.Dean Taylor - 'There's A Ghost In My House' when it was re issued in the UK was that around 1974ish???? again i was still at school, first Northern Soul record was around 1976 Little Anthony And The Imperials - 'Better Use Your Head' B/W 'Gonna Fix You Good' U/A British re issue then just left school...lol followed by the RCA 'Jumping At The Go-Go LP then the bug hit me....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Ball Of Confusion - Temptations.

Then got the biggest shock of my life, after walking into Ralphs Records,picking up a copy of Soothe Me--Sam & Dave.... How much is this .... A Pound!

You What??? A f*cking pound???????

Well it was 1971 and that was me weeks dinner money :thumbsup:

Bought it though.

Tony

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Major Lance "Ain't no soul (in these old shoes)" from the Oldies Museum record shop in Edinburgh round about 1981. It's not worth putting a scan up, since it was a pressing of a white demo, and we all know what THEY look like. Also had to replace it a year or so later when some lowlife stole the first copy.

Social source share

Had listened quite a lot to "classic soul" and bought some random Stax/Atlantic/Motown 45s and LPs and taken over a bunch of LPs from my parents... but the very first real "northern" 45 that I actively searched out and bought via mail order from the US was The Parliaments "Don't Be Sore At Me" on REVILOT, the second one was Larry Houston "Let's Spend Some Time Together" on HFMP, then when I discovered some more UK and US lists it quickly went "downhill" and within a couple of months I had bought stuff like Accents "New Girl" on M-PAC, Eddie Giles "Losin' Boy" on MURCO, Frank Dell "Baby You've Got It" on VALISE, The Expressions "You Better Know It" on FEDERAL, Phil Flowers "Where Did I Go Wrong" on DOT, Andre Williams "You Got It And I Want It" on RIC-TIC. Plus loads and loads of cheap 45s directly from the US, I bought all sorts of stuff "blind" because the records were so cheap. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Major Lance "Ain't no soul (in these old shoes)" from the Oldies Museum record shop in Edinburgh round about 1981. It's not worth putting a scan up, since it was a pressing of a white demo, and we all know what THEY look like. Also had to replace it a year or so later when some lowlife stole the first copy.

Me thinks you got many a good bargain from the shops in Edinburgh.......Susan Rewis being one if it's the Micheal Higgins who sent us some good tapes way back..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

First record I ever bought with own money was Dancing in the street(s) - Martha & vandellas on UK Tamla Motown reissue 68 or early 69 when I was 8/9. The first northern soul originals I ever had were In Orbit and festival Time in 1972 but I didn't know they were northern, if you see what I mean, I'd never heard the phrase.

Social source share

I went downhill the moment you bought that Houston turd :yes:

Think I actually bought it from you (or that might have been Danny Hunt on Dynamite which I also got very early on) and I remember you trashing it on the list which I bought it from as well as telling me what you thought about it when I placed the order. :):)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert