Northern Soul Birthday Tunes

Guest kent soul club

Guest kent soul club

Anyone know any Northern Soul birthday tunes? Got a mate of Bearsy and mine bringing his girlfriend to our next night on her birthday,and wants us to play a tune for her-any suggestions?

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone know any Northern Soul birthday tunes? Got a mate of Bearsy and mine bringing his girlfriend to our next night on her birthday,and wants us to play a tune for her-any suggestions?

"Happy Soul Birthday" by Robert Murphy (Bobby Wells) on Romur. It's not really Northern but it's got a nice lollop to it. Only lasts about a minute and a half, too.

Should be easy enough to pick up cheaply.

TONE

Social source share

The Tune Weavers " Happy Happy Birthday Baby " U.S. Casa Grande # 4037 / U.S. Checker # 872 , both released in 1957 .

As you will gather with the year , the side is doo - wop .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

buy a 45 of kool and the gang 'celebrate', play it at 33rpm, and cover it up as 'your special day' by Bobby Card and the Hallmarks. on Birthday records. going rate $600. then give them them the vinyl as the present, saying it took weeks to track it down.

whistling.gif

Social source share

Immediately thought of Robert Murphy on Romur (Mentioned earlier by Tone) but the MUST play 'Soul Birthday' tune has got to be "Just My Soul Responding" by Smokey Robinson which kicks off with the "Happy Birthday" song and melody before it glides into an ultra soulful mid ballad.

Not 'Northern' but a proper Birthday tune for a Soul lover.

thumbsup.gif

sean

Social source share

Can members please remember to use the 'new clip' button for uploading files and not attach mp3s - thanks.

Rachel, I looked for a thingy to add to the sounds repositry and couldn't find it.

Social source share

Rachel, I looked for a thingy to add to the sounds repositry and couldn't find it.

It's underneath the last post of each thread and looks like this newclip.gif

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

buy a 45 of kool and the gang 'celebrate', play it at 33rpm, and cover it up as 'your special day' by Bobby Card and the Hallmarks. on Birthday records. going rate $600. then give them them the vinyl as the present, saying it took weeks to track it down.

:thumbsup:

Now that sounds like a plan!

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

There's also Stevie Wonder's big hit in the US in the 80s.

Yeah ,that was the problem, it was the only birthday song I could think of! Don't get me wrong I love Stevie Wonder ,but was looking for something a bit more unusual-thanks for your help. :thumbsup: Magoo.

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

Get her some flowers,she`ll appreciate them more :thumbsup: and you must know her favourit tune play that.

Don't really know her.Its a mates girlfriend.My missus knows not to expect anything romantic! :yes:

Social source share

Don't really know her.Its a mates girlfriend.My missus knows not to expect anything romantic! :lol:

You numpty Martin, her Favourite tune is Barbara Mcnair - Your gonna love my baby. You can borrow mine if you like but i want it back :lol:

Its a bit of luck one of us lot takes a keen interest in our mates girlfriends and know just what they want and like :D:thumbsup: .

If you need any advice on what your Toni really likes PM me and i will get back to you :yes:

Bearsy

Social source share

Papa Bearsy & The Cubs - You're So Fine - why thank you

Richie Havens - I Kent Make It Anymore

You dont happen to have a copy of either one do you Colin :thumbsup::yes::lol:

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

You numpty Martin, her Favourite tune is Barbara Mcnair - Your gonna love my baby. You can borrow mine if you like but i want it back :thumbsup:Dont want to play her favourite tune.How would that embarress her?

Its a bit of luck one of us lot takes a keen interest in our mates girlfriends and know just what they want and like :lol:whistling.gifWell yeah, I feel so lucky to know you!

If you need any advice on what your Toni really likes PM me and i will get back to you :rolleyes:

Toni feels so lucky not to know you! :ohmy:

Bearsy

Social source share

This is the other side - "Shuffle" - I dislike the Blues side less

Happy Soul Birthday (Shuffle) - robert murphy - romur

14436 refosoul

Found the Robert Murphy copy in a Sally army shop in Aldershot in '94....used it ever since...(shuffle side!).....quality and different!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert