Talc

Would someone tell me please, are there any 'talc-friendly' venues around Notts.? 
I'm not after a lecture about the evils of talc, I'd just like a positive answer please.
I'm surprised to see that so many people who have commented "Health and Safety gone mad!" to Facebook posts I've seen are now champions of the No-Talc regime.
Yes, I know people might sue you but get everyone to sign a waiver before they come in.
Cheers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Would Promoters or someone else tell me please, are there any 'talc-friendly' venues around Notts.? 
I'm not after a lecture about the evils of talc, I'd just like a positive answer please.
I'm surprised to see that so many people who have commented "Health and Safety gone mad!" to Facebook posts I've seen are now champions of the No-Talc regime.
Yes, I know people might sue you but get everyone to sign a waiver before they come in.
Cheers.

Social source share

1 hour ago, LifesTooShort said:

Would Promoters or someone else tell me please, are there any 'talc-friendly' venues around Notts.? 
Cheers.

I'm not having a go but I do wonder why you are asking?

Some people splash it around everywhere but it really depends on 1. How you dance and 2. What the floor is like. If you shuffle, slide and glide then you need a friction free floor but if it's clean, polished, sprung maple wood, say, and you've got leather soles you'll have no problem. On the other hand if it's lino or vinyl or worse still painted concrete you might just need talc in order to unstick your feet. Other people still jump more or wear trainers in which case talc is pretty pointless.

Worst dancefloor I ever saw was a sort of vinyl safety flooring, the type with non-slip aggregates in it. Plus it was in a basement so condensation was dripping onto it - total nightmare it was wet and sticky; didn't seem to bother some people though. 

Two best dance floors in Notts I can think of are Sherwood Forest at Bilsthorpe and Grosvenor Rooms, Sutton In Ashfield. Neither need any talc.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I am asking because I would like to know if there are any tac-friendly venues, Tim. I'll take on board your advice but have found out for myself which dance floors I like over the past 25 years, many of which have now become No Talc venues. I'm not alone wanting a bit of talc (not a lot and usually a bit in a corner) and have no wish to start a Talc v No Talc war on here, that's why I said I only wished to know if there were any venues and not a discussion on the necessity or not. I'm sure there must be a few somewhere.
Some racehorses can only operate on firm, some on good, some on soft and some on heavy, but they are all racehorses and have different needs. I agree with you about Bilsthorpe and The Grosvenor but The Grosvenor ended up allowing a bit of Talc after many requests.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Wally Francis said:

Why not use Dance Chalk, it's what some professional dancers use and you might get it on line or from any dance shops, You just rub it onto your shoes and it's easily removed.

Ricey used this all the time he got it from a ballroom dancer friend

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Oooops. Forgot after 18 months that one of the best Northern venues anywhere, Carl Piper's Forest Town is still talc-friendly. Plus ATB at Underwood. Just two more weeks to find for a month.
I wish ALL promotors would put on whether their venue is No Talc or Talc Friendly. (Some have started to and it saves a lot of disappointment when you get somewhere and it's not what you think)

Social source share

On 10/09/2021 at 21:17, LifesTooShort said:

Would someone tell me please, are there any 'talc-friendly' venues around Notts.? 
Cheers.

I'm not pro or anti but I was told that it damaged the wooden floors in some way rather than anything else and that it was premises managers rather than promoters who were against it. I don't know if that's true or not. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

18 hours ago, Dim said:

I'm not pro or anti but I was told that it damaged the wooden floors in some way rather than anything else and that it was premises managers rather than promoters who were against it. I don't know if that's true or not. 

It is crushed rock - very finely crushed, so will grind away at the surface although if the floor is dry most will not cause that much damage. If it becomes wet and is ground in by moving feet it would do more but mostly it would be on the surface (varnish) rather than the wood itself.

I know of one club owner who's main objection was that it was left to the club's cleaners to vacuum it all up the next day and they were complaining that it got into all the furniture and carpets and so took them loads longer to clean up.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

What are the side effects of talcum powder?

What Are the Health Effects Associated With Talcum Powder?

Respiratory problems in infants. Talcum powder is made up of small particles that can be inhaled and cause lung irritation. ...

General respiratory problems. ...

Asthma and pneumonia. ...

Lung cancer and chronic respiratory problems. ...

Endometrial cancer. ...

Ovarian cancer.   whats your thoughts ??

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!