Cracked record

Timbob

Hi people have been following a record on jm auction and was surprised at the closing bid, I already have a copy but it has an airline crack, it doesn't affect play, was just wondering if I sell how much does that affect the asking price, thanks

Social source share

It has to depend somewhat on the crack, some you can barely see, others are much more noticeable and audible. The general condition also has to have an impact. Cracked record that's otherwise NM, and plays greator a really grubby copy that's G+ to Vg-?🤔

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On a slightly different note - how would you sell a record with even an only minor crack?I'm asking because I was always reluctant selling these kinds as I'd be worried to death that handling by the Post would eventually break the record or at least enlarging the crack.. just out of curiosity..

The only way I see is to personally hand over the record.

Social source share

It partly depends on whether the record is made of vinyl or styrene. Vinyl cracks can be ‘tighter’ and less subject to displacement causing audible imperfections. Styrene is prone to hairline cracking but sometimes this can sometimes actually be a manufacturing defect; if the crack cuts across the run-in grooves, this can be a problem, but if it is the result of an impact on the playing surface towards the run-out grooves, this can be less of an issue. Ultimately, the length of the crack and the part of the record affected would be factors affecting the re-sale value.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

cant remember one on JM`s auctions but tim brown had a cracked herb ward on argo on his auction finish on thursday. that finished quite high and was up near £500 when it disappeared off the page

it should certainly make the item a little cheaper 50%  if it plays ok but its up to the seller and the buyer really what they put it up for and buy it for

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!