Stemmons express

Dobber

A couple of questions regarding this 45!

the wand 45 seems to be rarer than the first local karma release,is that because the wand 45 didnt get issued (red lettering)? Popsike is only showing demos!

and is love power on the back of the wand 45?

I notice the karma 45 they are called THE STEMMONS EXPRESS and the wand 45 simply STEMMONS EXPRESS!

any pics ofthe group anywhere? Other releases? Info?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Yes, Love Power is on the other side of the Wand 45.

John M has a KARMA copy on auction. I was interested to see him saying that "Love Power" was the preferred side "back in the day". In the 70's, I was only aware "Woman, Love Thief" being a big sound. I can't remember hearing the other side until I bought a copy (on Wand demo) about 10/15 years ago. 

Love Power may well have been played, but for me, it didn't register at the time. "Woman, Love Thief" was MASSIVE! ( a mate at the time had an "emi-disc" done with Woman Love Thief)

Quote below from John's description on the copy currently for sale. Anyone want to predict the final sale price!!

""It matters not really which side you drop the needle on, with this local Dallas session. In fact "Love Power" was the preferred side back in the day, receiving healthy exposure at the "allniters" of the time. But over the years "Woman, Love Thief" has emerged the clear winner, as the familiar backing track "borrowed" from Arthur Ashford's Drew creation of a year earlier, struck a chord. Died in the wool "Soul" fans will always drop down on the side of the Detroit group original. But the Stemmons Express readjustments deliver significantly stronger guitar breaks and an edgier vocal response. It works so well, leaving the two recordings in debate considerably and refreshingly different.""

Edited by Bo Diddley
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Mal C said:

mine too, a wand Demo...I'd never thought about an Issue, don't recollect ever even realising the issues are harder...

Karma scan, cause we all like piccies 🙂

Stemmons Express - Woman Love Thief.jpg

Yeah ive had a karma copy in the past,and i think neither karma or wand turn up very often these days,but i dont recall ever seeing a wand issue! So if wand only saw a demo stage,then maybe thats why its turned out to be a rare item?

Social source share

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

mine too, a wand Demo...I'd never thought about an Issue, don't recollect ever even realising the issues are harder...

Mal. My Woman love thief

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

Mal.

My Woman love thief was I'm sure  a Wand issue. I always preferred the Wand label as opposed to the local Karma label.

Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mal. My Woman love thief

Mal.

My Woman love thief was I'm sure  a Wand issue. I always preferred the Wand label as opposed to the local Karma label.

Ste

Be nice to see a pic of a wand issue! Im not convinced it exists?

Social source share

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

Be nice to see a pic of a wand issue! Im not convinced it exists?

I'm not saying mine was  I thought it was but I'm not sure. As I sold it to Chris Anderton about 7 years ago 

The last one for sale on here 2020  was just over £400 the one 2 years before that was £650 both demo,s but I would have thought the first price was a lot nearer the value not £650, that's a joke. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Ive searched everywhere now,im convinced the wand 45 wasnt issued! Demo only! 

Didn't a member on the site, Steve Guarnori, write a book about Wand/Scepter? 

"Wand Scepter Forever" seems to ring a bell. Perhaps he would know more or the info is in the book.

Edited by Bo Diddley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Didn't a member on the site, Steve Guarnori, write a book about Wand/Scepter? 

"Wand Scepter Forever" seems to ring a bell. Perhaps he would know more or the info is in the book.

a off the cuff site tech tip

if you use the '@' to mention a member, they automatically  get a notification and link sent to them informing them that someone has mentioned them 
eg

@Steve G

👍

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 12/08/2021 at 10:54, Dobber said:

A couple of questions regarding this 45!

the wand 45 seems to be rarer than the first local karma release,is that because the wand 45 didnt get issued (red lettering)? Popsike is only showing demos!

I notice the karma 45 they are called THE STEMMONS EXPRESS and the wand 45 simply STEMMONS EXPRESS!

any pics ofthe group anywhere? Other releases? Info?

Discussed here a few years ago

Social source share

Mine is a demo and for this one I'd say it is impossible to say this was "promo only" with any degree of confidence. Even if Wand didn't release it commercially, issues may have been pressed up and one or two may well have leaked out from the office. To put it in the context of a well known UK release, Shane Martin was reviewed in Record Mirror as a new release off of the demo. CBS had issues pressed and ready to go, but then suddenly pulled the release, matrix numbers were scratched out etc. on copies and it was deleted. But a few copies sneaked out via reps visiting Head Office etc. So we will never know for sure, and if someone says they had an issue, they may well be right. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!