• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ScooterNik

Help Me - sonny boy williamson -

14415 refosoul

propper tune

Loving that, but doesn't Booker T Jones owe him a couple of quid somewhere?

Social source share

Well it's nearer R'n'R than R'n'B in my book.... but it aint that bad. I've heard far worse played out!

There's been a war ranging over on the modculture forums about what is & isn't R&B. What's R&B to one person is Northern Soul to the next person... amazing that the genre has so many sub genres. Spose it all depends on what "scene" you come to it from. the Mods go for the John Lee Hooker / Muddy Waters / Jr Wells and all that gritty underproduced wailing harmonica type stuff - then the Soulies go for the Mickey Champion / Leo Price / Big Daddy Rogers type stuff - and the Rockin' Scene come at from that Tiny Topsy / Little Willie John Stuff.

A decent R&B room / club will cover most bases or should....

It's just the dreary mid tempo white pop crooner stuff that gets played by some that does my head in! :thumbsup:

well I'm not a soulie but I like the best of all 3 styles, but find the Mickey Champion / Leo Price 'rhythm & soul' stuff the most universally popular and the style that has the most unique and tunefull records - as an R&B DJ, they're the ones I'll pay the most for, cos they'll go down the best. I dont like the stuff that sounds like traditional Rock N Roll much though, but that doesn't mean it isn't R&B - it is, it just sounds a bit anachronistic to me, and you look like my dad at a wedding dancing to it! (sorry rockers!)

That Tiny Topsy is shit IMO, but 'just a little bit' by her is amazing, popular with popcorn fans, mods, R&B fans or students. That's the sort of record you want, whoever it's by : good ones.

Popcorn isn't a style of music, just as Northern Soul isn't, it's the music they like on the popcorn scene, and that includes some crooner and pop stuff, much of which is a bit shit.

I think the 'popcorn' style records that get played at mod / R&B do's are not played by people pretending they're R&B or really worrying about catagories, they're playing them because they like them. I mean, they're from the same era and often by the same artists so who decides where you draw the line, you? I'd certainly rather have a cool and catchy popcorn record like 'Minimum wage' played than an average 'proper' R&B record played. I think it's just average music that's to be railed against, whether it's 'proper' soul or 'proper R&B'. There's a lot of it, it gets played far more than popcorn does, so I'd worry about that more.

Stuff that's popular will get played - stuff that's deemed shit won't for long, whether it's 'real' R&B or not.

I agree though, that too much stuff from the margins - whether it's popcorn beat ballads or gritty harmonica bluesy R&B, which can get very samey for me - is likely to do peoples heads in.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

what you sorry for ken was a question not a statement

Thought it was a statement,country/blues was sung for donkys by white or whatever americans and R&B was influenced by white america just as much as blakc and isnt a exclusive of blakc america,cause you wouldnt have one without the other.R+B is a term invented for blakc music so they could have a seperate chart and styles.

I`m not a expert on blakc america so i could be wrong,so if someone can put me right it would be good.

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

That Tiny Topsy is shit IMO, but 'just a little bit' by her is amazing, popular with popcorn fans, mods, R&B fans or students. That's the sort of record you want, whoever it's by : good ones.

I played her 'Miss You So' out a couple of months ago - kept the floor busy enough but provoked plenty of response. The R&B fans loved it and the soulies heckled...can't please 'em all! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Thought it was a statement,country/blues was sung for donkys by white or whatever americans and R&B was influenced by white america just as much as blakc and isnt a exclusive of blakc america,cause you wouldnt have one without the other.R+B is a term invented for blakc music so they could have a seperate chart and styles.

I`m not a expert on blakc america so i could be wrong,so if someone can put me right it would be good.

i agree.when most people think of soul they think black america.alot of the soul anthems over the years are by white folk.as said before the popcorn scene isnt another soul scene,they just like alot of soul music.theres some out n out soul music i dont like,doesnt make it crap

Social source share

.R+B is a term invented for blakc music so they could have a seperate chart and styles.

well 'Rhythm and Blues' was coined so that the separate charts (which already existed) could be called something other than 'Race music' which was starting to sound rather offensive...

Social source share

I played her 'Miss You So' out a couple of months ago - kept the floor busy enough but provoked plenty of response. The R&B fans loved it and the soulies heckled...can't please 'em all! :wicked:

does my head in that does,why have so many people got a grind about early soul,RnB.popcorn, whatever you want to call it.i think its called jumping on the bandwagon.ive seen so called "soulies" making fun at certain tunes when a couple of years ago they where dancing to the same style of music :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert