Popcorn

Guest barnsey

Guest barnsey

there's a large venue just up the road from me and its packed every weekend it has six rooms on .and in everyone its mainly popcorn .sometimes you just have to move on and move with the times.i know its not everybodys thing but you should give it a try after all choc ice's and corneto's are a pain to keep frozen and crisps make to much noise.so just give it a chance(but not the salted one whats that all about) :D

Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

there's a large venue just up the road from me and its packed every weekend it has six rooms on .and in everyone its mainly popcorn .sometimes you just have to move on and move with the times.i know its not everybodys thing but you should give it a try after all choc ice's and corneto's are a pain to keep frozen and crisps make to much noise.so just give it a chance(but not the salted one whats that all about) :thumbsup:

Nowt Wrong with popcorn / R&B, I love it

Bazza

Social source share

Guest mel brat

there's a large venue just up the road from me and its packed every weekend it has six rooms on .and in everyone its mainly popcorn .sometimes you just have to move on and move with the times.i know its not everybodys thing but you should give it a try after all choc ice's and corneto's are a pain to keep frozen and crisps make to much noise.so just give it a chance(but not the salted one whats that all about) :thumbsup:

Gets stuck in your teeth though don't it?? :unsure: (I like Richard "Popcorn" WYLIE. Does that count??)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Gets stuck in your teeth though don't it?? :thumbsup: (I like Richard "Popcorn" WYLIE. Does that count??)

Buddy Miles " Just A Butterkist Away "

Don't have to get it , as I have it on already .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

i agree.lets not forget that popcorn is not another name for soul.they do listen to lots of different stuff on that scene and they dance very differently to it as well

Yes they do and they dance to it very well too. To see a popcorn crowd getting down on the floor is truely a sight to be seen. Have been lucky enough to experience this a couple of times in Belgium in the last couple of years and have seen live Don Gardner, Baby Washington. and Barbara Lewis to boot.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

a lot of it is shit weird stuff as well :wicked::thumbsup:

Not wrong there Chalks... and how the hell some of it is supposed to pass for R&B beats me. R&B my arse. :yes:

Social source share

Not wrong there Chalks... and how the hell some of it is supposed to pass for R&B beats me. R&B my arse. wicked.gif

Rowley, the Belgian Popcorn scene, and the Beach Music scene in the Carolinas (US), have never claimed to be exclusively soul or RnB movements. They simply play the music that they like to hear , a lot of which does happen to be soul or RnB, but you're right, there's also a hell of a lot of very twee pop rubbish played .

Of course the northern scene has suffered the pop curse at various times but remains overwhelmingly a "soul" scene.

Social source share

Not wrong there Chalks... and how the hell some of it is supposed to pass for R&B beats me. R&B my arse. wicked.gif

What planet you from

up - down

left - right

yes - no

black - white

wrong - wright

you not got any in betweens on your planet

Bazza

Social source share

What planet you from

up - down

left - right

yes - no

black - white

wrong - wright

you not got any in betweens on your planet

Bazza

:yes:

POPCORN! started in 1969. so called because it started at the popcorn club vrasene,flanders belgium.a year before that a chap named freddy cousaert was playing soul and RnB.anyway the scene is packed with soul.some of the stuff they play has become big tunes over here over the last few years.

by the way hows it going bazza :thumbsup:

Social source share

:yes:

POPCORN! started in 1969. so called because it started at the popcorn club vrasene,flanders belgium.a year before that a chap named freddy cousaert was playing soul and RnB.anyway the scene is packed with soul.some of the stuff they play has become big tunes over here over the last few years.

by the way hows it going bazza :thumbsup:

ayup Jim,all ok here,off to Annesley on Saturday ,so no doubt we will see you and Di there

Bazza

Social source share

Rowley, the Belgian Popcorn scene, and the Beach Music scene in the Carolinas (US), have never claimed to be exclusively soul or RnB movements. They simply play the music that they like to hear , a lot of which does happen to be soul or RnB, but you're right, there's also a hell of a lot of very twee pop rubbish played .

Which is my point excactly. There's FAR too much of this dross being played out in the name of R&B. IMO....

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Which is my point excactly. There's FAR too much of this dross being played out in the name of R&B. IMO....

same with all the scene.pop shite being passed off as soul.rock n roll being passed as RnB.went to a RnB do last year,took a friend from work and she brought her partner,after a while they went for a dance,WHY,because he is a rock n roll dj and they played an out n out RR record.

Social source share

Guest barnsey

same with all the scene.pop shite being passed off as soul.rock n roll being passed as RnB.went to a RnB do last year,took a friend from work and she brought her partner,after a while they went for a dance,WHY,because he is a rock n roll dj and they played an out n out RR record.

was'nt rock and roll just the word used by the white people to clalm the music rnb as part of there own idea instead of giving the blackman full credit?

Social source share

I heard fats domino say in an interview around the time 'ain't that a shame' came out, that what kids were calling rock & roll (read white kids) was really just R&B, something that people had been playing up & down the mississippi/missouri rivers for 15 years or so. he was obviously referring to people like wynonie harris, big joe turner etc. tremendous stuff. really liberating.

Social source share

Guest edsuede

:rolleyes: 'In my experience, Northern Soul has taken in a few 'rock 'n' roll' style tracks in it's time - Bill Black 'little Queenie', Adlibs 'Boy from New York City' - Bill Black still seems popular at oldies nights. I even remember Jackie Wilson's 'Reet Petite' being big at soul clubs in the South West in the early 80s before the track was used on a commercial.

Social source share

was'nt rock and roll just the word used by the white people to clalm the music rnb as part of there own idea instead of giving the blackman full credit?

More rubbish!!.sorry Barnsey :rolleyes: but i`m right.

Social source share

tiny topsy.mp3 - tiny topsy -

14408 refosoul

was given this 45 by a mate.said try it.brill RnB..IM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE.stopped going to local RnB nites because of shite like this

Would go down well if I was wearing "Brothel creepers or blue suede shoes" Jim :thumbsup:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

tiny topsy.mp3 - tiny topsy -

14408 refosoul

was given this 45 by a mate.said try it.brill RnB..IM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE.stopped going to local RnB nites because of shite like this

Well it's nearer R'n'R than R'n'B in my book.... but it aint that bad. I've heard far worse played out!

There's been a war ranging over on the modculture forums about what is & isn't R&B. What's R&B to one person is Northern Soul to the next person... amazing that the genre has so many sub genres. Spose it all depends on what "scene" you come to it from. the Mods go for the John Lee Hooker / Muddy Waters / Jr Wells and all that gritty underproduced wailing harmonica type stuff - then the Soulies go for the Mickey Champion / Leo Price / Big Daddy Rogers type stuff - and the Rockin' Scene come at from that Tiny Topsy / Little Willie John Stuff.

A decent R&B room / club will cover most bases or should....

It's just the dreary mid tempo white pop crooner stuff that gets played by some that does my head in! :thumbsup:

Social source share

96Lbs - les harris -

14417 refosoul

love this

Rowly ,you cant argue with these three

Bazza

Nice selection of toons there Bazza Good of you to start educating Jim :thumbsup:

By the way are you out anywhere this friday as I'm looking for somwhere to go as I'm skiving off work early :secret:

Steve B

Social source share

Nice selection of toons there Bazza Good of you to start educating Jim :thumbsup:

By the way are you out anywhere this friday as I'm looking for somwhere to go as I'm skiving off work early :secret:

Steve B

Ayup Steve ,thinking of poping over to Ian and Glyns do' at Leabrooks,not sure yet tho'

Bazza

Social source share

96Lbs - les harris -

14417 refosoul

love this

Rowly ,you cant argue with these three

Bazza

Nope no arguement from me on any of those mate. R&B with out a doubt! But are they popcorn? mellow.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert