Has The Northern Soul Bubble Burst?

Hi Wez n Linsey

Long time no see, hope you are both well?

Great post, I agree with the majority of your comments, although I love the mid tempo stuff!

A crowd of us used to attend the various monthly venues and it just got so predictable for most of em, a waste of time & money, we felt the promoters were taking the piss, so we voted with our feet and just stopped going.

Hope to catch up soon

All the best

Paul (Bradford)

Come on Paul, tell them where the action is. Friday 23rd February. If they don't enjoy it, I'll give them their money back.

Phil. :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 194
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Lynsey_Wez

When did "mid-tempo" become a euphamism for "slow"? I'm 42, I've knackered knees but I can't dance to "mid-tempo" stuff, my feet always want to do double time :unsure:

:rolleyes::thumbsup: thats just my definition!!!

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

Hi Lynsey

Some interesting points raised in your post.

Seems to me that your definition of uptempo and midtempo might be quite different to mine (and others) - not sure we could come ever up with a standard definition. Would be good to know what you class as 'uptempo' and 'midtempo' so we have something to compare with. I know that stuff I regarded as midtempo in the late 60s/early 70s is definitely starting to sound uptempo now!!

For what it's worth, and completely off the top of my head, I regard these as 'uptempo'

Conquistadors - Sadness and Madness

Coasters - Crazy Baby

The Tempos - (Countdown) here I come

Jay & the Techniques - Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie

and the following as 'midtempo'

Bobby Sheen - Something new to do

Bettye Swan - Make me yours

Barbara Lyn - Trying to love two

Marvin & Tammi - Ain't nothing like the real thing.

How would you rate these against your view of 'uptempo' and 'midtempo'. Perhaps you can give us something to go on?

And anyone else?

Brian :unsure:

really? hmmm this may be where my problem lies :thumbsup:

i think of bobby sheen / bettye swan as definitely *slow* (dont think i know the other two - im rubbish at remembering titles etc)

coasters/tempos i agree are uptempo, but these are the type that 'around our area' are played just about every weekend without fail.

ok, i think of uptempo as these sorts of things:

pat powdrill - do it

ko ko taylor - fire

jimmy holiday - love me one more time

chuck carter - i cant help myself

e g taylor - you made me mad

thelma jones - stronger

ann byers - dead end

kurtis scott - no no baby

& mid tempo:

oscar toney jnr - aint that true love

little john - heartbreakin time

willie hobbs - til i get it right

johnny sayles - tell me where i stand

do you think theres any danger of hearing a few out, all in one night?? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

Hi Wez n Linsey

Long time no see, hope you are both well?

Great post, I agree with the majority of your comments, although I love the mid tempo stuff!

A crowd of us used to attend the various monthly venues and it just got so predictable for most of em, a waste of time & money, we felt the promoters were taking the piss, so we voted with our feet and just stopped going.

Hope to catch up soon

All the best

Paul (Bradford)

hello!

havent bumped into you for ages, were fine thanks. hope you are well too :rolleyes:

sounds familiar! thats basically whats happening around here now......there are alot of people that have stopped attending most of the local nights - the people that a few years ago used to go everywhere/out every weekend.

they, like us, have had enough of hearing the same set every month at the same place!!

Social source share

I don´t really know if i am unlucky(miss it) or lucky don´t miss the endless politics! but one thing is for sure when you can´t go ´cause it isn´t´there anymore then you would all moan more than now!! different opinions or not !

I could but don´t/can´t go as often as before, i´m sure if i was in England it would be every week,the soul scene as much as anyone may say is Not! just the music,the people are the most important young or old makes no difference no people no scene!enjoy it while you can....i have since ´71 from near and here wouldn´t be without it. .................

A question? soul scene gone..............friends still there! f...k the music or am i wrong?

Steve

open for trouble

Steve

The trouble is that ...the friends arent there any more. You are really unlikely to see many people you know unless they come out for a revival night! I went up the road for a local do on saturday, out in my home town and knew a handful of people. I dont know these people because (I assume) they are recent returnees, people that went to the local do in the 70 s and have found that they can come out for a bit of a dance. There is no problem with that really but they are happy to listen to any old pile of .... The scene of our youths was built on the music, there was respect for the people sourcing and playing new music and it made things exciting.

Coming home after hearing a record for the first time, spending the weekend with brilliant people etc etc was what made the travelling and grotty venues so special.

On saturday Guy Hennigan and Bob from Newark turned up at this local soul do....now I think that everyone should know who Guy is and his place in the history of all things soul but then I was a TOTW groupie.

I would guess that most of the people in the venue would have had no idea who he is...and that makes me sad. Bless the Dj who kept " taking us back to Stafford", it was lovely to see Rich, Bob and Guy all muttering under their breaths ( "wigan actually...1978")because they really care that each record has it s history. And you know that they care that if ,for example,that record was played by Adey at the 100 club first he should get the kudos for it....that to me describes the split in the scene more than anything else.

I had a bit of a rant last year at a local dj who accused me of caring about soul music too much " cos its just of a bit of a laugh really". It makes me want to stay home and listen to decent music in excellent company, which is mostly what we do!

I promise you that after three nights out listening to bad dj s playing terrible records you would get back on the plane,Or travel to the other side of the country, passing thirty soul nights on the way to get to a line up that can offer something worth listening too.

Social source share

really? hmmm this may be where my problem lies :thumbsup:

i think of bobby sheen / bettye swan as definitely *slow* (dont think i know the other two - im rubbish at remembering titles etc)

coasters/tempos i agree are uptempo, but these are the type that 'around our area' are played just about every weekend without fail.

ok, i think of uptempo as these sorts of things:

pat powdrill - do it

ko ko taylor - fire

jimmy holiday - love me one more time

chuck carter - i cant help myself

e g taylor - you made me mad

thelma jones - stronger

ann byers - dead end

kurtis scott - no no baby

& mid tempo:

oscar toney jnr - aint that true love

little john - heartbreakin time

willie hobbs - til i get it right

johnny sayles - tell me where i stand

do you think theres any danger of hearing a few out, all in one night?? :rolleyes:

ok been reading this thread with interest! firstly the diversity of the track selections by Brian and Lynsey speaks volumes! we now have previous attendees of all the major past venues under the same umbrella plus some! back in the day which ever venue we attended (myself wigan and blackpool) we were all after the same thing i think, the latest big sound!we were much younger and all a similar age group at the time! now we have returnees from all those eras and venues under the same roof! plus the soulies who have discovered this wonderful music post stafford ie a little more recently and very welcome they are! so my theory for what its worth is stop bangin on about which genre/taste/period is best and reduce the venues!

In the past there was always THE place to be at that particular time and the local workin mans club was for ya dad! now if we arent careful northern soul will become the new bingo! only a few yrs ago i would be excited on a monday or tuesday in anticipation of knowing where (within a reasonable distance) most of the soul community would be the coming weekend, nowadays its to much of a multiple choice (where i am anyway nw england) it seems anywhere with a room for hire is fair game, add to that different histories, preferences, and passion and desire(not everybody has to live and breathe it to like what they like) and the scene as a social event just becomes more and more diluted! and bangin on about 'why wont they move on'? or 'dont like all that new shit i dont know it' wont help at all but its not as dangerous as 'todays venues dont play my tastes so i shall open my own' and expect to be bombarded with likeminded folk queuein up to sample wats on offer!

can we not spend our later years accepting that all soul is good but some better than other? attend the venue of your choice try to keep it real! and enjoy! chill and respect others tastes/memories/goals etc,

and if you find out your auntie has a spare bedroom dont try and promote a soul night in it!

only my perception and opinion,

pete60

Social source share

ok been reading this thread with interest! firstly the diversity of the track selections by Brian and Lynsey speaks volumes! we now have previous attendees of all the major past venues under the same umbrella plus some! back in the day which ever venue we attended (myself wigan and blackpool) we were all after the same thing i think, the latest big sound!we were much younger and all a similar age group at the time! now we have returnees from all those eras and venues under the same roof! plus the soulies who have discovered this wonderful music post stafford ie a little more recently and very welcome they are! so my theory for what its worth is stop bangin on about which genre/taste/period is best and reduce the venues!

In the past there was always THE place to be at that particular time and the local workin mans club was for ya dad! now if we arent careful northern soul will become the new bingo! only a few yrs ago i would be excited on a monday or tuesday in anticipation of knowing where (within a reasonable distance) most of the soul community would be the coming weekend, nowadays its to much of a multiple choice (where i am anyway nw england) it seems anywhere with a room for hire is fair game, add to that different histories, preferences, and passion and desire(not everybody has to live and breathe it to like what they like) and the scene as a social event just becomes more and more diluted! and bangin on about 'why wont they move on'? or 'dont like all that new shit i dont know it' wont help at all but its not as dangerous as 'todays venues dont play my tastes so i shall open my own' and expect to be bombarded with likeminded folk queuein up to sample wats on offer!

can we not spend our later years accepting that all soul is good but some better than other? attend the venue of your choice try to keep it real! and enjoy! chill and respect others tastes/memories/goals etc,

and if you find out your auntie has a spare bedroom dont try and promote a soul night in it!

pete60

Here! Here! nothing else to add, the last two posts pretty much sum it up.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

pete60

As a newie`ish i do kind of agree with your post.

i like just about all the genres of music but some more than others so to keep me happy i go to where i think the music will be best for me, Im happy anyway and cant wait for the next weekend for more of the same or similar should i say :rolleyes: .

I like the fact that i do have a choice most weekends (at least 40 miles for a local for me) and that to go out for a night of soul i dont have to travel 200 miles for the privelage every weekend but every now and then when the wife and kids let me i will travel further afield for my fix of quality soul.

Each to thier own and enjoy it while its there or before someone comes along with a big pin and bursts our great big lovely bubble.

Bearsy

Social source share

i like just about all the genres of music but some more than others so to keep me happy i go to where i think the music will be best for me, Im happy anyway and cant wait for the next weekend for more of the same or similar should i say :rolleyes: .

I like the fact that i do have a choice most weekends (at least 40 miles for a local for me) and that to go out for a night of soul i dont have to travel 200 miles for the privelage every weekend but every now and then when the wife and kids let me i will travel further afield for my fix of quality soul.

Each to thier own and enjoy it while its there or before someone comes along with a big pin and bursts our great big lovely bubble.

Bearsy

well said bearsy! but the point i'm tryin to make is we should be making sure the pin to burst the bubble doesnt belong to US!

Regards,

Pete

Social source share

i like just about all the genres of music but some more than others so to keep me happy i go to where i think the music will be best for me, Im happy anyway and cant wait for the next weekend for more of the same or similar should i say :unsure: .

Bearsy

Better before the "bubble" :thumbsup: whats a "bubble".........i know i aint stukc in one. :rolleyes: now were`s me big pin.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Better before the "bubble" :thumbsup: whats a "bubble".........i know i aint stukc in one. :rolleyes: now were`s me big pin.

what was it like before the "bubble" Ken :unsure: please tell me its not a time warp :lol:

the title of the thread suggests we are all in a bubble that may of burst if not its about to soon :lol: , i hate the taste of washing up liquid Ken so if you dont mind keep your pin firmly in your pants :P

Social source share

what was it like before the "bubble" Ken :rolleyes: please tell me its not a time warp :lol:

the title of the thread suggests we are all in a bubble that may of burst if not its about to soon :unsure: , i hate the taste of washing up liquid Ken so if you dont mind keep your pin firmly in your pants :lol:

Not telling ya`Bearsy you wouldnt believe me anyway,just think"bubble"sounds a bit cold but if it means a record price crash i dont care,and after the crash we will get some new blood and fukc of all them thats in it for the dosh or own self importance.

PS dont i talk some shite :thumbsup:

Social source share

well said bearsy! but the point i'm tryin to make is we should be making sure the pin to burst the bubble doesnt belong to US!

Regards,

Pete

Think i know what your saying and an easy answer would be to reduce the amount of events on any given night but would we all still be able to travel the length and breadth of the country for our weekly fix of quality soul, its not just a matter of time consuming but also the cost to do so, most have families and its not cheap either. but on the other hand there have been a few nights when i have wanted to go to about 3 different places but in the end had to chose 1 over the other 2 so in that respect i had a great night at 1 bit missed a couple of great nights too elsewhere. having less of a choice for me would make my life easier and yes i would probably travel further afield as i need my weekly fix but thats me.

I hope that makes sense as i know i have kind of contradicted myself.

quality not quantity is probably the best way forward is it not

Bearsy

Social source share

Think i know what your saying and an easy answer would be to reduce the amount of events on any given night but would we all still be able to travel the length and breadth of the country for our weekly fix of quality soul, its not just a matter of time consuming but also the cost to do so, most have families and its not cheap either. but on the other hand there have been a few nights when i have wanted to go to about 3 different places but in the end had to chose 1 over the other 2 so in that respect i had a great night at 1 bit missed a couple of great nights too elsewhere. having less of a choice for me would make my life easier and yes i would probably travel further afield as i need my weekly fix but thats me.

Bearsy

Would be easier to get a lift tho` :rolleyes: now everyone wants to go nowhere,stay in and post allnighters are crap!!posts.

I blame the US for everything,cant wait for they`re bubble to burst :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest kent soul club

Better before the "bubble" :rolleyes: whats a "bubble".

Oxford dictionary-Bubble 1a,a thin sphere of liquid enclosing air etc.b,an air filled cavity in a liquid or a solidified liquid such as glass or amber.2 ,the soundor appearance of bubbling;an agitated or bubbling motion.3 ,a transparent domed cavity.4, A VISIONARY OR UNREALISTIC PROJECT OR ENTERPRISE.

Social source share

Not telling ya`Bearsy you wouldnt believe me anyway,just think"bubble"sounds a bit cold but if it means a record price crash i dont care,and after the crash we will get some new blood and fukc of all them thats in it for the dosh or own self importance.

PS dont i talk some shite :rolleyes:

Totally agree with the "bubble" bit Ken, it dont make right what this scene is all about. there are to many who love and care too much about the scene for it to ever burst but a leveling out like it has in the past is probably on the horizon which then in theory can only be good for us all or will it.

Dont we all talk shite sometimes, ok you more than most Ken :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bearsy

correct bearsy! 1 mans poisen etc and if we are gonna carry on with a vibrant thriving scene we need to pull together and stop the im more holier than thou approach! like i said keep it real and the progression will take care of itself! keep it unreal and allow and support mr bloggs with his suitcase of mp3s in the local community centre prevail on a saturday night (dont get me wrong not averse to a pub doin watever they do but dont allow it to be promoted as a serious venture within the scene) and we are in trouble! and that i'm afraid is the way its heading!

Pete

Social source share

Oxford dictionary-Bubble 1a,a thin sphere of liquid enclosing air etc.b,an air filled cavity in a liquid or a solidified liquid such as glass or amber.2 ,the soundor appearance of bubbling;an agitated or bubbling motion.3 ,a transparent domed cavity.4, A VISIONARY OR UNREALISTIC PROJECT OR ENTERPRISE.

You found out how to open and read the thing then Martin :rolleyes: ,

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

You found out how to open and read the thing then Martin :rolleyes: ,

Yes mate ,and I'm getting you one for your birthday!P- R -I -V -I -L -E -G -E spells,well,privilege.

If you really want to take the p**s out of me go to 'All about the soul' :thumbsup: :fool:

Social source share

Well thats clear,now how this relate to northern soul...........my soul life aint a unrealistic project or a enterprize,but i might just be a visionary :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

Well thats clear,now how this relate to northern soul...........my soul life aint a unrealistic project or a enterprize,but i might just be a visionary :rolleyes:

Maybe. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Steve

The trouble is that ...the friends arent there any more. You are really unlikely to see many people you know unless they come out for a revival night! I went up the road for a local do on saturday, out in my home town and knew a handful of people. I dont know these people because (I assume) they are recent returnees, people that went to the local do in the 70 s and have found that they can come out for a bit of a dance. There is no problem with that really but they are happy to listen to any old pile of .... The scene of our youths was built on the music, there was respect for the people sourcing and playing new music and it made things exciting.

Coming home after hearing a record for the first time, spending the weekend with brilliant people etc etc was what made the travelling and grotty venues so special.

On saturday Guy Hennigan and Bob from Newark turned up at this local soul do....now I think that everyone should know who Guy is and his place in the history of all things soul but then I was a TOTW groupie.

I would guess that most of the people in the venue would have had no idea who he is...and that makes me sad. Bless the Dj who kept " taking us back to Stafford", it was lovely to see Rich, Bob and Guy all muttering under their breaths ( "wigan actually...1978")because they really care that each record has it s history. And you know that they care that if ,for example,that record was played by Adey at the 100 club first he should get the kudos for it....that to me describes the split in the scene more than anything else.

I had a bit of a rant last year at a local dj who accused me of caring about soul music too much " cos its just of a bit of a laugh really". It makes me want to stay home and listen to decent music in excellent company, which is mostly what we do!

I promise you that after three nights out listening to bad dj s playing terrible records you would get back on the plane,Or travel to the other side of the country, passing thirty soul nights on the way to get to a line up that can offer something worth listening too.

Hi, do i take it that you didnt enjoy this local event then :rolleyes: ......when you say that the people were happy to listen to any old pile of **** what kind of tunes were you referring to...any chance of giving examples as i was'nt there....please dont get me wrong i am sure you are passionate about your particular era djs and expierences, i am not dissin that....i was one of the people that went out to local dos in the 70s and also attended at the time many different venues, alldayers, allnighters nationally...i remember sharing the expierences and feelings you describe....but it was probably different djs and records....remember buying a copy of Maurice Williams..."Being Without You"..at an alldayer , got it home and must of played it twenty times in my bedroom cos i thought it was just brilliant at the time...still love it today by the way...but i suppose some would call it a hackneyed oldie now....at the end of the day time moves on....one day you may want to relive your expierences and some of the tunes you consider to be cool will someday be the same ole...."Northern Soul "has gone through many changes since its inception...the point of this thread was to ask a question about the state of the scene today and its future....if we care about that i think we have got to show respect to all quarters...and encourage the current younger generation to give it a go...and not come across as fueding old timers......there endeth the epitaph :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi, do i take it that you didnt enjoy this local event then :rolleyes: ......when you say that the people were happy to listen to any old pile of **** what kind of tunes were you referring to...any chance of giving examples as i was'nt there....please dont get me wrong i am sure you are passionate about your particular era djs and expierences, i am not dissin that....i was one of the people that went out to local dos in the 70s and also attended at the time many different venues, alldayers, allnighters nationally...i remember sharing the expierences and feelings you describe....but it was probably different djs and records....remember buying a copy of Maurice Williams..."Being Without You"..at an alldayer , got it home and must of played it twenty times in my bedroom cos i thought it was just brilliant at the time...still love it today by the way...but i suppose some would call it a hackneyed oldie now....at the end of the day time moves on....one day you may want to relive your expierences and some of the tunes you consider to be cool will someday be the same ole...."Northern Soul "has gone through many changes since its inception...the point of this thread was to ask a question about the state of the scene today and its future....if we care about that i think we have got to show respect to all quarters...and encourage the current younger generation to give it a go...and not come across as fueding old timers......there endeth the epitaph :unsure:

Here here!!.save popcorn collectors :thumbsup:

Social source share

correct bearsy! 1 mans poisen etc and if we are gonna carry on with a vibrant thriving scene we need to pull together and stop the im more holier than thou approach! like i said keep it real and the progression will take care of itself! keep it unreal and allow and support mr bloggs with his suitcase of mp3s in the local community centre prevail on a saturday night (dont get me wrong not averse to a pub doin watever they do but dont allow it to be promoted as a serious venture within the scene) and we are in trouble! and that i'm afraid is the way its heading!

Pete

Promoters could always get together in a certain area and work together to put 1 or maybe 2 nights on but some areas have about 5/6 going on within a comfy travelling distance and thats when i think it could be handled better. but that wont happen. so only time will tell which ones stand the test of time and hopefully quality will shine through.

In kent for example we have a do on every 2 months which started a year ago in Medway as a quite a few people wanted a local soul night (central kent 40 mile from london and the nearest event) and its going quite well and have had some quality DJs play there too so for us lot from this part of the world its great to have a local venue at last on our doorstep. And what a great venue it is too. as long as it keeps up it standards and gives the paying punters what they want to hear then everybody is happy. what it has also done has given people from the area a taste of the scene and bought a few more into the travelling to different venues thing, i know some will say "another venue thats not needed" but it is for our area and it is only going to get better. a good venue can only be good for the scene cant it ?

Bearsy

Social source share

Would be easier to get a lift tho` :thumbsup: now everyone wants to go nowhere,stay in and post allnighters are crap!!posts.

I blame the US for everything,cant wait for they`re bubble to burst :unsure:

your a very eloquent (if thats how you spell it) articulate and WITTY man ken!

i really envy your inventive and informative intelligent input! wish i was as humourous!

cheap and shots are the words that spring to mind!

but whatever floats ya boat :rolleyes:

Pete

Social source share

your a very eloquent (if thats how you spell it) articulate and WITTY man ken!

i really envy your inventive and informative intelligent input! wish i was as humourous!

cheap and shots are the words that spring to mind!

but whatever floats ya boat :rolleyes:

Pete

Thank you,i think!!first time i have been called intelligent on here. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi, do i take it that you didnt enjoy this local event then :rolleyes: ......when you say that the people were happy to listen to any old pile of **** what kind of tunes were you referring to...any chance of giving examples as i was'nt there....please dont get me wrong i am sure you are passionate about your particular era djs and expierences, i am not dissin that....i was one of the people that went out to local dos in the 70s and also attended at the time many different venues, alldayers, allnighters nationally...i remember sharing the expierences and feelings you describe....but it was probably different djs and records....remember buying a copy of Maurice Williams..."Being Without You"..at an alldayer , got it home and must of played it twenty times in my bedroom cos i thought it was just brilliant at the time...still love it today by the way...but i suppose some would call it a hackneyed oldie now....at the end of the day time moves on....one day you may want to relive your expierences and some of the tunes you consider to be cool will someday be the same ole...."Northern Soul "has gone through many changes since its inception...the point of this thread was to ask a question about the state of the scene today and its future....if we care about that i think we have got to show respect to all quarters...and encourage the current younger generation to give it a go...and not come across as fueding old timers......there endeth the epitaph :unsure:

Personally i like Maurice Williams too as its a good tune and to be haonest ive not heard it played out in the last couple of years so its not exactly an over played hackneyed oldie or is it and im just going to the wrong places when its played.

What defines a great tune to be enjoyed when out at an event - the personal preference of the listener is it not.

Im talking proper shite now aint i Ken :thumbsup:

Social source share

Personally i like Maurice Williams too as its a good tune and to be haonest ive not heard it played out in the last couple of years so its not exactly an over played hackneyed oldie or is it and im just going to the wrong places when its played.

What defines a great tune to be enjoyed when out at an event - the personal preference of the listener is it not.

Im talking proper shite now aint i Ken :thumbsup:

I have played it out a couple of times in the last year and it has gone down quite well....but then a dj comes on and plays some s***e .. by Tyrone something..called Man of Value and fills the floor what is the world coming to........sorry im off on another anti 70s rant again......going to bed now :huh:

Social source share

I have played it out a couple of times in the last year and it has gone down quite well....but then a dj comes on and plays some s***e .. by Tyrone something..called Man of Value and fills the floor what is the world coming to........sorry im off on another anti 70s rant again......going to bed now :thumbsup:

would that be tyrone outta corrie?

it filled the floor? enough said those that filled the floor that have paid for their evenings entertainment know f**k all!

you know best!

oh well

regards again

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Ok i missed the start of this thread so heres my imput. This downfall of the NS scene has been talked about since the days of Stafford, Mecca and Wigan its all bullshit so why dont we get on with what we have and the elitist scare-mongerers just shut the *** up. If they dont like the scene then feck off and if you think its going down then you should have been at Cleethorpes this weekend. That was as an all-dayer/all-nighter should be a full dance floor, ppl enjoying themselves, no politics and no elitist bullshit. This scene is not about WHO you are WHAT you do or FORCING your OPINION onto other people my answer to it all is blow it out your own arse this scene will not die because certain people say so.

Social source share

Steve

Cat i agree with every thing you've said, all i always want to say but you put it so more ellegantly than me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Im talking proper shite now aint i Ken :huh:

Maurice Williams is a great tune ,dont here it much now either,for a long time I thought it was called Sugar lips :thumbsup: no wonder I could never find it :unsure:

Bazza

Social source share

pete60

F*****g h**l, almost word for word what I have been thinking but not bothered saying!!

Spot on about the one major venue, means big discoveries can be played regularly, although whether there are enough now is another question, although methinks between people like Andy Dyson and Butch there are enough to start with!! If you look at posts here it is almost always people talking about their soul night or their records they are playing, I dont think that has anything to do with creating a healthy scene!

Especially spot on about NS becoming the new local Social Clubs for middle age people (of which I am one before the usual diggers start), what no-one seems to even consider now is that there appears to be no single Northern Scene now, there are millions of local scenes, based around soul nights, that cater for less than millions of people! Surely a NS scene would have to be built around all nighters to get the right environment for new sounds.

I agree that the incessant desire to DJ/Promote means too many nights but also too many people chasing the likes of Deep Dark Secret to play to their local gatherings all around the country, as their audience is unlikely to be looking to hear a night of new cover ups!!

Only disagreement I have is about it being local to you but thats possibly because you live in the right area, I spent a number of years wanting to live near Bolton as every new all nighter that sprung up to replace the last one was only half an hour away, I soon recovered!

In reality the above scenario would result in a few hundred hard core being the regulars, as was all the way through the 80's/early 90's. Would people do that every weekend now, in all honesty I wouldn't hence why I normally dont get into these debates but there seems to be that hardcore that travel out there, the difficulty is getting them in the same place every weekend/fortnight, where a number of Dj's are plugging big sounds. Probably just a pipe dream but nostalgia does that to you when you get to my stage of life.................

Social source share

I keep hearing " to many soul do's not enough punters " in my area Notts, Sheffield, Rotherham,Mansfield there are as you no many Venues,this Saturday just gone I think within 30/40 mile there was six do's on,that was just saturday

The thing is tho' out of the six on ,in my opinion only a couple were worth attending,so if you pick out the ones you like,and give the others a miss,the the good ones will survive and the others wont,also look round at a do' the age of us lot ,we range from about 35 to 55,thats 20 years,so what is good for me may not be good for someone 20 years my junior,its not as simple now as it was in the old days

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

I keep hearing " to many soul do's not enough punters " in my area Notts, Sheffield, Rotherham,Mansfield there are as you no many Venues,this Saturday just gone I think within 30/40 mile there was six do's on,that was just saturday

The thing is tho' out of the six on ,in my opinion only a couple were worth attending,so if you pick out the ones you like,and give the others a miss,the the good ones will survive and the others wont,also look round at a do' the age of us lot ,range from about 35 to 55,thats 20 years,so what is good for me may not be good for someone 20 years my junior,its not as simple now as it was in the old days

Bazza

hello bazza.dont start about the notts scene again :huh::thumbsup: ..but really the scene needs going underground again.i my short soul life (im 38) i mention places to people, who i think have been on the scene for ever,places i went to when i was 14-15 and they say never heard of it and wasnt in to it then.thats not that long agao really.its ok having 200+ people in a notts venue but bout 150 of um only know whats been played over the last couple of years.wez n lynsey are right.me and di have stopped going out because its boring.even the ones we do go to,we have a good time,mostly being sociable.i always thought the main reason was the music.NEEDS GOING UNDERGROUND AGAIN!!!

Social source share

hello bazza.dont start about the notts scene again :huh::thumbsup: ..but really the scene needs going underground again.i my short soul life (im 38) i mention places to people, who i think have been on the scene for ever,places i went to when i was 14-15 and they say never heard of it and wasnt in to it then.thats not that long agao really.its ok having 200+ people in a notts venue but bout 150 of um only know whats been played over the last couple of years.wez n lynsey are right.me and di have stopped going out because its boring.even the ones we do go to,we have a good time,mostly being sociable.i always thought the main reason was the music.NEEDS GOING UNDERGROUND AGAIN!!!

Jim ,I dont know what the answer is,as for going out,yes although there are alot of do's on ,most are a bit of a joke,I think thats why I tend to favour the R&B side of things,cos most of it is fresh and new (to me),trouble is she's not to keen on R&B,got to educate her a bit :unsure::D:yes:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

My view -

1 Either you want to keep it underground/exclusive or let new blood in?

My view is let new blood in and why not? If you dont, it will die with us.

2 Either you want loads of choice of venues, music or go back to the old way of only a few venues playing what they want?

My view is we have been spoilt in some ways, with loads of venues, but also lots of wanabes, people do really need to get together and make sure they not clashing, of course not always pos. but sure more could be done to make sure it doesnt.

My overall view is I will go to a do to support my friends/djs, and/or local ones too and of course the music policy that suits me. But I wont slag down a place because it doesnt play what I like. I just dont go.

Karen (with her serious head on)

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

The Good Thing About This Site Is That Dj's Can Post Their Playlists And Promoters Can Post Their Intentions , So We Know roughly What To Expect from Venues .

So If A DJ Or A Club Favour For Example R&B And You Dont Like It , Dont Go !

Its Not For Us To Say Who Is Wrong Or Right ,I Personally Believe That Playing Cds Or Pressings Is F****n Ridiculous When There Are So Many Great Collections Out There ,But Its Never Been Any Different And It Will Always Be the Same.

We Have Two Parallel Scenes going On Nostalgia And I Suppose The Purists Is The Other, Which Side You Are On Is Your Personal Choice ,

It All Just Makes Up This Incredible Scene That Just Keeps Me Coming Back For More :thumbsup:

Social source share

We Have Two Parallel Scenes going On Nostalgia And I Suppose The Purists Is The Other, Which Side You Are On Is Your Personal Choice ,

This is the real problem, where is the middle ground?

I don't want nostalgia & i don't want dog rare, i want a well thought out, uptempo, atmospheric night with people playing tunes they have a passion for & people dancing passionately.

The price thing has got a lot to answer for also, if everything was 10 pound i think you'd see much different playlists.

Simon

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I don't want nostalgia & i don't want dog rare, i want a well thought out, uptempo, atmospheric night with people playing tunes they have a passion for & people dancing passionately.

The price thing has got a lot to answer for also, if everything was 10 pound i think you'd see much different playlists.

Simon

But Isnt The Unobtainable Part Of The Attraction ? It Is For Me

DJ's Having Records That No One Else Has Got Is Where There Credibility Comes From . Otherwise People Could Play CDs All The Time .

Social source share

Simon

I AGREE.seems nowdays djs play only records that they payed alot of money for.paying lots for a record dont make it rare.take a look at ebay,people pay silly money week in week out for tunes that appear on ebay all the time,its these tunes that you hear all the time.

Social source share

But Isnt The Unobtainable Part Of The Attraction ? It Is For Me

DJ's Having Records That No One Else Has Got Is Where There Credibility Comes From . Otherwise People Could Play CDs All The Time .

Where are these djs that have got records noone else has, maybe 2 or 3 djs, i could buy most djs playlists tomorrow if i had the money.

Simon

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Where are these djs that have got records noone else has, maybe 2 or 3 djs, i could buy most djs playlists tomorrow if i had the money.

Simon

Thats Just It We Havnt Got The Money , We Have Lives And Families

There Are Far Too Many "DJ's" Around Anyway , I Only Take The Ones With Credability Seriously.

Very Complex Scene This Northern Soul Aint It Simon , :thumbsup:

Social source share

Simon

Butch, Mick, Sam, Carl Fortnum, Paul Sadot, Karl Heard, Carl Willingham, Dyson, Trouble, Dean Anderson.

There.. thats 10 to be getting on with.

I expect you could be the next pope as well, if you had the latin, eh? whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert