Is it really worth buying from America

On 15/07/2021 at 11:56, Dukeburgundy said:

All the UK dealers were offering the record at between £30 and £45 regardless of condition. I'd suggest there is a degree of 'sheep' following because the records were clearly struggling to sell at that price for what is a record that is not currently 'in demand'.

I've mentioned this before on a thread earlier this year. I have a want's list on Discogs where I put records obviously that I want but also tunes I hear on podcasts etc that are new to me and I might consider buying at some stage. I had a Jerry Butler that was listed by several sellers ,only a cheapie ranging from £7 to £15 in a range of conditions. After lying in my wants list for months I decided to buy, one guy had a mint copy for £9 accepting offers. Most of his listings were non soul records. Being cheeky I thought well if he is accepting offers I'll offer him £7.

I quickly got a reply declining my offer. Bearing in mind the majority of the listings had been there since I first put the record on the list there clearly was little demand. Lo and behold I then got a message telling me the seller had relisted the record at £15 the same price as several others proving your point to some degree. I did buy a copy from someone else but kept it on my wants list to see if his sold, no surprise it is still there.

Social source share

On 14/07/2021 at 20:03, Frankie Crocker said:

But not too many Mel Britts or Bobby Klines there... Most of the records won’t sell as the demand is not there. A million records isn’t much when you consider the top ten in the charts sold millions in the 60’s and 70’s. Even the top top Motown sounds barely sell unless they in demand by the Northern fraternity. The sounds we want are buried in the States and more likely to appear on eBay if they are rare, valuable or in demand. Discogs is handy for obscure, cheap unknown sounds, but how any of these actually turn up regularly?

Bobby Kline copy turned up on Discogs today Frankie, not in the best nick for the asking price...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!