Roy hamilton 45s

Dobber

Off the cuff thought! But why ESPECIALLY in the oldies climate,why does “shook me up” seem to command a lot more money than “crackin up” i personally dont think either are particularly rare either demo or issue!  But the shook me up is a dated sound of the Stafford era records that have fallen by the way side,whereas cracking up is top class northern soul and a top oldie! I would think shook me up should command a lot less than cracking up personally?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 29/06/2021 at 10:48, Dobber said:

Off the cuff thought! But why ESPECIALLY in the oldies climate,why does “shook me up” seem to command a lot more money than “crackin up” i personally dont think either are particularly rare either demo or issue!  But the shook me up is a dated sound of the Stafford era records that have fallen by the way side,whereas cracking up is top class northern soul and a top oldie! I would think shook me up should command a lot less than cracking up personally?

Any Roy Hamilton record is great but I'd agree that Crackin' Up Over You is a better northern track. However, it has been reissued in the US and UK and original copies have turned up over the last 40+ years. You Shook Me Up is only available on the first US issue although in reasonable quantity so I suppose it's down to supply and demand. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I love "shook me up" 

Memories of late 80s early 90s, Its a brilliant stomper.

I'm really not sure what you mean about a dated Stafford sound.

I Love cracking up too

Is that a dated torch sound ?

I always felt they were very similar records production wise.

Both class in my view

• Up vote 2
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Alan H said:

The Stafford Sound isn't dated but if people have moved on to 70s and Disco and Soulfull House then yeah Early 60s is gonna sound dated.As for Roy wow what a voice and superb productions on his RCA sides.

I'd say elements of the 60's Stafford sound are still just as relevant, other bits aren't. 70's and modern were a big part of Stafford anyway Alan. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Geeselad said:

I'd say elements of the 60's Stafford sound are still just as relevant, other bits aren't. 70's and modern were a big part of Stafford anyway Alan. 

Yeah what im getting at is plenty of my mates moved away from the 60s sounds onto 70s into disco and now its Soulfull House .The 60s sounds are just too dated for them .Personally im into loads of different styles from the late 50s to the mid 70s.Roy Hamilton You Shook me up is a world away from the Hamilton Movement I like both mind you 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Love, 'Shook me up' - I haven't heard it anywhere as much as Cracking Up. Cracking up is a fantastic record but been played to death and to death again. Then again I'm into the big beat type tunes such as HB Barnum - Hurts too much to cry, Little John Heart Breaking time and so on.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Shane Cosgrove said:

Love, 'Shook me up' - I haven't heard it anywhere as much as Cracking Up. Cracking up is a fantastic record but been played to death and to death again. Then again I'm into the big beat type tunes such as HB Barnum - Hurts too much to cry, Little John Heart Breaking time and so on.

All mentioned were played a whole lot in the 80's. 

Social source share

Another favourite of mine from Roy is this colossal Beat Ballad…

6F14211E-7609-448B-9D66-9314017084AE.thumb.jpeg.ef43f19a29cebd2125042ce532463062.jpeg

…flipped wth the equally as good…                 
                 “Ain’t It The Truth”

Let’s hope there are no Heartaches     
           ⚽⚽⚽️tonight ⚽⚽⚽

Edited by Mgm 1251
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!