Buddy Conner-when Your Alone

NEV

HI ALL

JUST NOTICED IN THE EBAY SALES SECTION:- BUDDY CONNER-WHEN YOUR ALONE.

KINDA JOGS YER MEMORY WHEN YOU SEE/HEAR THINGS DONT IT

GOT ME THINKIN HOW THIS IS BY NO MEANS A CHEAP RECORD AND HOW SIMILIAR IT IS TO MOST CERTAINLY A LATER COVER BY THE "WORLDS FUNKIEST BAND" MUCH CHEAPER VERSION !

WOW THAT IS A GOOD SOUND FOR NOT TOO MANY HARD EARNED .

NEV thumbsup.gif

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

HI ALL

JUST NOTICED IN THE EBAY SALES SECTION:- BUDDY CONNER-WHEN YOUR ALONE.

KINDA JOGS YER MEMORY WHEN YOU SEE/HEAR THINGS DONT IT

GOT ME THINKIN HOW THIS IS BY NO MEANS A CHEAP RECORD AND HOW SIMILIAR IT IS TO MOST CERTAINLY A LATER COVER BY THE "WORLDS FUNKIEST BAND" MUCH CHEAPER VERSION !

WOW THAT IS A GOOD SOUND FOR NOT TOO MANY HARD EARNED .

NEV thumbsup.gif

Superior imo... had this years ago... sold it to Derek Pearson... Grrrrr!! :ohmy:biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

soulclub whistling.gif

whats the going rate for this little beauty, seeing as though the tax man has taken less than i imagined he would thumbsup.gif

Social source share

When you alone - buddy conner - breakthrough

14205 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

Originally a Richard Searling tune, then got a second lease of life thru myself and Guy at Stafford. Best version, although this and Worlds Funkiest Band are Joey Jefferson productions. WFB, was a group of young school kids out of Compton I think with, Forgotten name now, but a well known West Coast singer on vocals for this track

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

soulclub whistling.gif

whats the going rate for this little beauty, seeing as though the tax man has taken less than i imagined he would thumbsup.gif

LAST ONE RECORDED WENT FOR $230 ON EBAY IN JANUARY 2005.

I TAKE IT YOU MEAN THE BUDDY CONNER?

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Superior imo... had this years ago... sold it to Derek Pearson... Grrrrr!! sad.gifbiggrin.gif

Think the Buddy Connor was written and produced by Joey Jefferson, and I'm sure it is him who sings lead on The World's Funkiest Band version - anyone confirm?

Sure it was covered as George Jefferson at Stafford? Remember having loads of 'em off a London dealer at the time called Terry Stokes - all had a dish warp if i remember rightly.

Social source share

When you alone - buddy conner - breakthrough

14205 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

Originally a Richard Searling tune, then got a second lease of life thru myself and Guy at Stafford. Best version, although this and Worlds Funkiest Band are Joey Jefferson productions. WFB, was a group of young school kids out of Compton I think with, Forgotten name now, but a well known West Coast singer on vocals for this track

Come to think of it I'm sure it's JJ Jackson on vocals on the WFB version

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

So are we now agreeing they are different versions, seem to remember that last year we debated this and the majority view, although not mine as always felt BC vocals were better, were they were identical.

Ironically finally got Buddy Connor last year (thanks to that nice man Dan, despite our political differences biggrin.gif ) but cant find WFB to compare, f**k knows where I have managed to file it!!

Cheers

Jocjm

Social source share

Guest uroffal

So are we now agreeing they are different versions, seem to remember that last year we debated this and the majority view, although not mine as always felt BC vocals were better, were they were identical.

Ironically finally got Buddy Connor last year (thanks to that nice man Dan, despite our political differences :rolleyes: ) but cant find WFB to compare, f**k knows where I have managed to file it!!

Cheers

Jocjm

Try this for comparison - to be honest never really tried to compare the two - as I said earlier had heard that J Jackson (I thought - wrongly - J Jefferson) was the vocalist on WFB recording - gotta say not a lot of difference.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....BAND&Format=

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Hi All, Firstly i don't think Joey Jefferson did lead vocals to the Buddy Connor or W.F.B.

Both the Buddy Connor & World's Funkiest Band are idential recordings (or at least i think so), i sat here and compared them.

In total there are 3 presses of this record.

1st - Buddy ConnEr (note the spelling difference) # 1003 (Year: 1969/70 - the "60's" version with same track on both sides)

2nd - Buddy ConnOr # 1004 (Year: 1972 - the "70's" version with "mind of your own" b-side)

3rd - The World's Funkiest Band - California Gold # 79 (Year: 1978)

It's all very well me saying this as i'm selling it, but from my experience the 1004 (Buddy Connor) version is the hardest to come by. But don't get me wrong, both Breakthrough releases are rare.

Connor:

https://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-NORTHERN-SOU...1QQcmdZViewItem

Funkiest Band:

https://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-NORTHERN-SOUL-FUN...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tommy.

post-2018-1170397960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tommy
Social source share

Try this for comparison - to be honest never really tried to compare the two - as I said earlier had heard that J Jackson (I thought - wrongly - J Jefferson) was the vocalist on WFB recording - gotta say not a lot of difference.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....BAND&Format=

Thanks for that but cant listen to anything on computer at moment, will keep searching for WFB 45!!

Social source share

Hi All, Firstly i don't think Joey Jefferson did lead vocals to the Buddy Connor or W.F.B.

Both the Buddy Connor & World's Funkiest Band are idential recordings (or at least i think so), i sat here and compared them.

In total there are 3 presses of this record.

1st - Buddy ConnEr (note the spelling difference) # 1003 (Year: 1969/70 - the "60's" version with same track on both sides)

2nd - Buddy ConnOr # 1004 (Year: 1972 - the "70's" version with "mind of your own" b-side)

3rd - The World's Funkiest Band - California Gold # 79 (Year: 1978)

It's all very well me saying this as i'm selling it, but from my experience the 1004 (Buddy Connor) version is the hardest to come by. But don't get me wrong, both Breakthrough releases are rare.

Connor:

https://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-NORTHERN-SOU...1QQcmdZViewItem

Funkiest Band:

https://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-NORTHERN-SOUL-FUN...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tommy.

SO IF WHAT YOU SAY IS RIGHT (BOTH IDENTICAL).DOES THAT MEAN JOAN IS BEING SWAYED BY THE RARITY RATHER THAN THE QUALITY OF THE RECORD...?

JOAN UNLESS SOMEONE CAN VERIFY THE DIFFERENCE IN SOUND YOU HAVE BECOME A BIT OF A SOUL SNOB.....

BUT PLEASE DONT BE OFFENDED ,TAKE IT IN THE SPIRIT IT WAS INTENDED rolleyes.gif

NJOY YER WEEKEND

NEV :thumbsup:

P.S think i'll stick with my worlds funkiest band and let Shep pay the mega bucks for buddy,althoug hits a bit retro by his standards!lol

Social source share

SO IF WHAT YOU SAY IS RIGHT (BOTH IDENTICAL).DOES THAT MEAN JOAN IS BEING SWAYED BY THE RARITY RATHER THAN THE QUALITY OF THE RECORD...?

People do tend to want the Buddy Connor over the W.F.B. simply for it's rarity (plus it looks nicer, imo). But that's how record collecting is, isnt it. Some people (mostly DJ's) don't care what format they get the record, obviously as long as it is an original. But others want records in their rarest formats (collectors & DJ's).

Social source share

Joan, it works now :P Still sounds the same though :wicked::thumbsup:

To quote someone else on here.... are your ears painted on? laugh.gif

It's not the same...

Plus.. although it does quote the exact same times.. 2m 34... on both of the records... the Buddy Connor is in fact about 3 seconds shorter according the time on my realplayer.... although i've not got WFB to compare it to.

PLUS... anyone would think i said i hated WFB... i don't... it's great... just that to my non painted on ears... Buddy Connor is a much crisper... clearer... stronger... and a far better recording! :shades:

Social source share

Sorry... had better put imo.

Snob Nev?

HI JOAN

SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU ,WAS JUST A BIT TONGUE IN CHEEK

HERES A COUPLE OF LINKS TO BOTH SONGS:-

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/sounds/exists...EN_YOU_RE_ALONE

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Buddy_Conne...39;re_Alone.ram

PERSONALLY I DO THINK WITH CLOSE INSPECTION YOU CAN TELL EM APART, ALTHOUGH ,THEY ARE DIFFERENT QUALITY SOUNDFILES ,THE BUDDY CONNER IS A BETTER QUALITY FILE .

NOT DIFFERENT ENOUGH TO PERSUADE ME TO JUSTIFY THE BUDDY CONNER WHEN THE WFB CAN BE GOT FOR A TENNER IN MINT CONDITION.

KINDA REMINDS ME OF THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN BUDDY LAMP -SAVE YOUR LOVE AND OV WRIGHT-LOVE THE WAY YOU LOVE .ALTHOUGH THE DIFFERENCE IS CLEARER ITS DOWN TO BRASS TACKS BUT AM AMAZED WHEN PEOPLE SAY TO ME HOW FAR SUPERIOR BUDDY LAMP IS??

I SUPPOSE PLAYED OUT LOUD MAY TELL A DIFFERENT STORY.

AM SURPRISED TO HEAR YOU ACTUALLY LET THAT ONE GET AWAY THOUGH JOAN?BUDDY CONNER THAT IS

NEV :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's not the same...

Yes, it is. It is the EXACT same recording. The mixing and mastering is however different and the WFB release is in stereo, not mono, and as a result of this the Breakthrough release has got much more punch and does indeed sound crisper and "better". But it is the same recording, with Buddy Connor/Conner on vocals on both.

The actual "a-side" on the WFB 45 is by the sounds of it recorded by an entirely different group.

Social source share

KINDA REMINDS ME OF THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN BUDDY LAMP -SAVE YOUR LOVE AND OV WRIGHT-LOVE THE WAY YOU LOVE .ALTHOUGH THE DIFFERENCE IS CLEARER ITS DOWN TO BRASS TACKS BUT AM AMAZED WHEN PEOPLE SAY TO ME HOW FAR SUPERIOR BUDDY LAMP IS??

This is in my opinion a differrent thing. The O.V. Wright and Buddy Lamp versions (or the Solomon Burke for that matter) of this are clearly not the same recordings and that O.V. Wright version has got some seriously annoying backing vocals (to my ears). As you can see on my avatar, it's pretty clear which version i prefer... :shades::thumbsup: "Sock Some Love Power To Me" by Lee Rogers which utilises the same backing as Buddy Lamp is very nice as well.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

This is in my opinion a differrent thing. The O.V. Wright and Buddy Lamp versions (or the Solomon Burke for that matter) of this are clearly not the same recordings and that O.V. Wright version has got some seriously annoying backing vocals (to my ears). As you can see on my avatar, it's pretty clear which version i prefer... :shades::thumbsup: "Sock Some Love Power To Me" by Lee Rogers which utilises the same backing as Buddy Lamp is very nice as well.

I agree.. OV Wright is nothing at all like Buddy Lamp... in fact i think it's rubbish in comparison.

Have got both Buddy Lamp and Lee Rogers... although both obviously have same backing... are both different records in their own right... and rate them both highly..... although Buddy Lamp has the edge vocally.

Would love to see what he looks like... going by his voice you'd expect him to be a giant of a man.... you watch him be the size and build of Norman Wisdom. :D

Anybody got a photo? ... of Buddy Lamp that is... not Norman Wisdom.

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

just listened to both,

and the buddy conner is definately the superior of the 2

much more punch about the vocals,

worlds funkiest sounds a little life less in comparison, maybe to do with the inferior production quality.

biddings up to £127 on ebay for this, is this the going rate ?

demo,s more expensive i believe at £200, JM,s guide only has the issue at £75

anyone help here

shep

i

Social source share

just listened to both,

and the buddy conner is definately the superior of the 2

much more punch about the vocals,

worlds funkiest sounds a little life less in comparison, maybe to do with the inferior production quality.

biddings up to £127 on ebay for this, is this the going rate ?

demo,s more expensive i believe at £200, JM,s guide only has the issue at £75

anyone help here

shep

i

£75?

You're having a laugh... pretty sure i sold mine for more than that about 10 years ago... maybe even longer.

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

£75?

You're having a laugh... pretty sure i sold mine for more than that about 10 years ago... maybe even longer.

now lets not shoot the messenger,

guide, defo says - orange label - £200

red label - £75

so what is a more realistic price for the ebay 1

and i might have another little bid, courtesy of the taxman

shep :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

Mine was orange.

I take it the one you are bidding on is red?

yes the 1 im bidding on is red version with - "mind of your own" on flip

the orange one's the "when your alone" both sides, and the more expensive of the 2 according to guide

shep :wicked:

Social source share

Superior imo... had this years ago... sold it to Derek Pearson... Grrrrr!!

£75? You're having a laugh... pretty sure i sold mine for more than that about 10 years ago... maybe even longer.

and what a wonderful record it is Joan - blimey was only talking to Tony about this record last month or so. Think I bought it at Tony's Empress in downtown Blackburn mid 90's perhaps....Probably was about £75 then, seem to think I gave you £80 and was waiting for a fiver change hehehe

Buddy ConnOr # 1004 (Year: 1972 - the "70's" version with "mind of your own" b-side)

Tommy.

anybody got a soundclip of this B side "mind of your own" they could post up please? Oh and thanks to Tommy for explaining the 3 releases so clearly, I've read posts about this record many times before and was left feeling more confused than ever. Yeah I know what the replies will be......

derek

Social source share

Mine was orange.

I take it the one you are bidding on is red?

NONE ARE RED, THEY ARE BOTH ORANGE !!

:lol::ohmy:

Edited by Tommy
Social source share

Oh and thanks to Tommy for explaining the 3 releases so clearly, I've read posts about this record many times before and was left feeling more confused than ever. Yeah I know what the replies will be......

derek

You're very welcome Derek. I'll post up a sound clip of the b-side for you in a bit, i need to record it first.

Cheers :ohmy:

Social source share

Amazing how things slip into your sub-conscious...since following this thread, I've found myself singing (err,well!! :ohmy: ) and humming it....making me breakfast..washing up, even watching tele...it is good init.....When you're alo-o-one, When you're alone...great... :lol:

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

I agree.. OV Wright is nothing at all like Buddy Lamp... in fact i think it's rubbish in comparison.

Have got both Buddy Lamp and Lee Rogers... although both obviously have same backing... are both different records in their own right... and rate them both highly..... although Buddy Lamp has the edge vocally.

Would love to see what he looks like... going by his voice you'd expect him to be a giant of a man.... you watch him be the size and build of Norman Wisdom. :lol:

Anybody got a photo? ... of Buddy Lamp that is... not Norman Wisdom.

IVE SEEN A STREET LAMP :ohmy: :fool:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert