Tk Labels And Fav Records

My favourite by Lew Kirton is "New York City" great deep soul. Originally cut, I think, by Clarence Reid on one of his albums.

Spot on, its on his Running Water album, an absolutely fantastic album, with 4 or 5 great tracks, vastly underrated as singer in my opinion Mr Reid, and one of Florida's giants surely.

The other Lew Kirton track Chalky mentions, Come On With It is also done by Clarence Ried, although think LK version shades it slightly, on the On The Job LP which also contains the vastly superior version of Willie & Barbara Sleep With Me.

His 1st album contains a great version of I've Been Trying, but this is probably too early (late 60's) to qulify as a Florida sound record and it has a number of covers on it (Motown and the dreaded Beetles (sic)).

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

A few from my DJ box (have my collection stored back in Stockholm.. :thumbsup: )

IMG_1020_640x480.jpg

Vanessa Kendrick "90% of me is you" - like this version as much as Gwen McRae's

Paulette Reaves "It's in me" - guess this is answer disc to Jimmy Bo Horne "Is it in"? Also released on PIP 12".

Charles Johnson "Never had a love so good"

Broomfield Corporate Jam "Does anybody really care"

IMG_1023_640x480.jpg

Nate Calhoun "Funk town" - great dancer, backing ripped from Boz Scaggs "Low down"

Otis Clay "Special kind of love"

Raw Soul Express "The way we live"

Jackie Moore "Heart be still" - very good version (original by Carl Graves?), philly styled. Don't have the album it's on - any more good tracks off that? She also have another 45 containing two great covers (Bunny Sigler/Betty Swann) "Somebody loves you" / "Make me yours".

IMG_1017_640x480.jpg

Stevens & Foster "I want to be love[d]"

Milton Wright "The silence that you keep" - of course you need a promo or LP for the longer version of "Keep it up" :rolleyes:

Phillip Wright "Keep her happy"

Leno Phillips "Confusion"

Sorry about the flash! Too lazy to remove the plastics..

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Agree with Karl on the Phillip Wright, Milton Wrights brother I believe...

Controllers had some nice sides too.

Yes, Phillip Wright is sibling to Betty and Milton Wright. Pretty sure "Keep Her Happy" was actually recorded at about the same session as Milton Wrights superb album on Alston, as the production values sound so similar. Controllers first album (on Juana) was ace! Loads and loads of great TK recorded (and distributed) sides. Latimore, brilliant of course! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

One of the best Soul Packs I bought was a TK selection from Soul Bowl for £15, about 30 years ago.

Full of quality sounds, Gwen Mccrea, Little Beaver, Latimore, Timmy Thomas etc. and a one off that didn't mean a lot at the time to me. Purple Mundi.

John.

Jammy sod! :thumbsup: Have to say though that Purple Mundi ain't my favourite Miami release by a long chalk. But I just love that unique Soul/Funk fusion the mid-late 70's Miami recordings achieved. Milton Wright's swirling keyboard orchestrations alone are stunning in their originality. Timmy Thomas "Stone To The Bone" with it's catchy, jazzy piano touches, is one of my favourite instrumentals, and in fact I was playing it only yesterday!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

rumpus / loves gonna find ya / dash

rocky mizzel / never never girl / drive

Yup! Rumpus (DASH, 1976) is fab! Another one of those chirpy and uplifting sides that we could do with hearing played out more often!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Rumpus sure is not a soul group more like rock fusion in the same vein as Foxy...

I can well see how some people might consider Rumpus "My Love's Gonna Getcha" (DASH, 1976) to be somewhat "too disco" for their taste on initial hearing, however despite it's apparent simplicity, the song in question is actually quite tricky in places and not at all easy to carry off with conviction, but the female lead singer handles the scale changes with considerable style and aplomb, and in that regard, she deserves Soul credit! Again, it's another of those essentially upbeat and optimistic records that lifts your spirits and leaves you feeling the better afterwards for having heard it! I'd recommend giving it a listen. (I haven't tired of hearing it in 30 years anyway, if that counts for anything!) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Has anyone mentioned Jerry Washington's "Don't Waste My Time" (Glades) ??? !!!

:thumbsup:

Jerry Washington - "Don't Waste My Time" on Glades! :lol:

Brilliant record, and yet another cheap B-side that slipped through the net in 1976 (That fabulous guitar break is right up my street!) I've always thought of this somehow as a Seventies equivalent of Jerry Cook - "I Hurt On The Other Side" (another all-time favourite of mine) but I really have NO idea why, other than his name...! I wouldn't part with it though, even for the silly money it was going for a couple of years ago, just 'cos I loved it!

Incidently, though I rarely DJ, I quite innocently played it at a friend's pub do in Hackney a few years ago, along with several other Seventies sides like Spyder Turner and Latimore, and a few of the guys there took an interest in it. I may have been more circumspect regarding the record's "welfare" however, had I realised it's financial potential then (being almost perpetually broke, and unable to replace even cheap, everyday records) Having said that, I saw another copy going for £6 in a guys box in 2001 and almost bought it as a "spare", as I'm so fond of it, but by then I'd spent all of my cash (as usual...!) Dohh! :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

There we have another Philly connection, the Blue Notes Glades album has a couple of philly styled killers - "We can make it" and "Standing by you girl" (also 45 release).

Yes, I like "We Can Make It" very much, but don't have the album. :thumbsup: Recorded after Teddy Pendergrass left the group of course)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Somebody Done Took My Baby And Gone - joey gilmore - saadia / phil-l.a. of soul

14227 refosoul

Superb, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Top Man Sebastian.

Isn't this one of the most Soulful Midtempo choons ever!

I just love a vocal where you can hear the 'ache' in the voice.

Joey Gilmore. Just Bloody Marvellous!

Sean

Social source share

Just thought (while looking at the Jeri label above) of an old spin of mine from Roshell Anderson on Jeri.

Flipside of "Come On Back" is called "Let's Steal Away" and its a superb moover in the Tyrone Davis mould from Roshell who just growls his way through it beautifully.

A Top Tip... well overdue a revival.

Sean

Social source share

Great thread this one......

I was wondering..........just how many different TK distributed labels were there in the 70,s/80,s??

I guess by TK distributed, they must have the familiar........

"Distributed by T.K productions Inc.. 495 S.E 10th Ct. Hialeah, Florida 33010" printed around the base of the labels edge!

A quick look in the collection and ive found ---

TK

ALSTON

GLADES

CAT

DRIVE

DASH

BLUE CANDLE

KAYVETTE

MARLIN

MIGHTY MO

JERRI

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERS

ROYAL FLUSH

DIG

TAURUS

SHIELD

LRC

GEMINIX

LOTTA

AMAZON

WANDERICK

APA

SIMTONE

CHIMNEYVILLE

MALACO

CONTEMPO

And there must be loads more............anybody add?

2 great tracks not mentioned yet are ..Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Theres must be something - DIG

and a killer soulful ballad....John Mitchell - Love on the phone - ALSTON

Gaz

Social source share

TK

ALSTON

GLADES

CAT

DRIVE

DASH

BLUE CANDLE

KAYVETTE

MARLIN

MIGHTY MO

JERRI

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERS

ROYAL FLUSH

DIG

TAURUS

SHIELD

LRC

GEMINIX

LOTTA

AMAZON

WANDERICK

APA

SIMTONE

CHIMNEYVILLE

MALACO

CONTEMPO

A few additions:

TK DISCO

CLOUDS

DADE

DU-VERN

GOOD SOUNDS

SOUNDS PLUS

FABULOUS

JUANA

KAYVETTE

KINGSTON

KONDUKO

SHANE

REID'S WORLD

GOSPEL ROOTS

AMOUR

SILVER BLUE

A.P.A.

BIL-MAR

BOLD

SUN CUT

TAMPETE

WICKED

YORK

Social source share

Great thread this one......

2 great tracks not mentioned yet are ..Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Theres must be something - DIG

and a killer soulful ballad....John Mitchell - Love on the phone - ALSTON

Gaz

Good call Gaz.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday is a really superb little number.

Anyone know the Jimmy Bo Horne on DIG?

Nice Double sider

Sean

Social source share

Anyone mentioned True Image "It Aint Fair" on Juana yet?

And, while we're on Juana.... The Controllers "We Dont" is Soul Heaven (even better than the Tommy Tate version IMO).

Two Stunning records.

Sean

Too right Sean,

A couple more that spring to mind.

Charles Johnson "Baby I cried" Alston the other side of "Never had a love so good" Probably the A side have'nt checked. It is the demo side for sure.

Dorothy Moore "Girl Overboard" TK super stepper.

Oh and anything by Facts of Life.

regards Alan

Social source share

A few more tk two step/mellow groove faves!

Paulette Reaves "Your eyes" Dash 7 + 12

Chocolate Clay "Free (I'll Always Be)" Cat LP

Black Ice "Postcard love affair" HDM LP

Black Ice "You're always on my mind" HDM LP

Brief Encounter "Human" Sound Plus 7

Special Delivery "This kind of love" Shield LP

Social source share

If You Want My Love - jimmy ''bo'' horne - alston

14282 refosoul

Played this the other day for the first time in ages... WHAT A TUNE!!!

Sure is!

Absolutely superb record.

The old Pat Brady "Alexander McKinley" Cover up from Clifton Hall.

Also rate "If We Were Still Together" also on Alston... and while we're talking Jimmy Bo Horne (I also mentioned his DIG 45 earlier) how about "I Can't Speak" and the long forgotten "I'm Going Home For Love"... Magnificent Miami Soul!

Sean

Social source share

Anyone mentioned True Image "It Aint Fair" on Juana yet?

And, while we're on Juana.... The Controllers "We Dont" is Soul Heaven (even better than the Tommy Tate version IMO).

Two Stunning records.

Sean

The Controllers is an odd one, as much of thier stuff was recorded at Malaco, although it was TK distributed. A lot of the material is owned by James Bennett of Jackson, Mississippi. Also wrote and recorded a lot of Tommy Tate's stuff at Malaco

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Just thought (while looking at the Jeri label above) of an old spin of mine from Roshell Anderson on Jeri.

Flipside of "Come On Back" is called "Let's Steal Away" and its a superb moover in the Tyrone Davis mould from Roshell who just growls his way through it beautifully.

A Top Tip... well overdue a revival.

Sean

Yes, I was about to mention that one! Came out about the same time as Stevens & Foster, in 1977...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I know this is nostalgia but T-Connections- Do what you wanna do 12" long version still sounds absolutely brilliant with all the drums and bongos going on and the rising Synth to the point where they all go WHOOOOAH! Sheers Magic

Yes. I bought the UK 12" back not so very long ago after selling it. Sounds better now than in 1977!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Heres a few...!!

NATE CALHOUN - "Have Some Of Me" (GLADES) 1980

Fantastic ballad. One of the best of it's time I reckon. Buy it and see!

LATIMORE - "We Got To Hit It Off" (GLADES) 1981

Love the haunting rhythm track to this midtempo item. A side that could easily get belated dancefloor attention.

LATIMORE - "Just One Step" (GLADES)

As above, a midtempo mover quite worthy of spins. Issued here on President.

LATIMORE - "Take Me To The Mountain Top" (GLADES)

Not a dancer but another one of his great ballads. Superb soul. 12" version clocks @ 4:29 mins

TIMMY THOMAS - "What's Bothering Me" (CLIMAX) CRS-22001 1970

Wild! Very tight and sassy production on this, Timmy's first recording. Again, associations with Blackpool Mecca colour my memories of this side very much in it's favour! Great!

"Better watch out 'cos here we come.

Stop and listen before you run.

The two-fingered sign, doesn't mean we dig crime,

- it means PEACE!"

JOEY GILMORE - "Give Me Your Love" (BLUE CANDLE)

Veteran R&B man sounds remarkably like Bobby Womack to begin with, before settling down into a nice shuffling ballad with a pleasant hookline which you catch yourself humming days later. Well worth having.

TERRY WEIS - "Keep On Pushing Your Love" (PLATINUM) 1976

Perhaps one of the most memorable and novel intros I've ever heard on a Seventies tune, with a fantastic wah-wah rhythm track and a cute melody too, this is one of those sides that were adopted as Mecca "archetypes", simply because almost everyone I knew that went to the Highland Room bought them! Heavily imported at the time (C.February 1976), but almost forgotten today(?) I'd LOVE to hear sides as distinctive as this played out nowadays! Singer has a very mellow and laid-back voice and is possibly white, but perhaps just his name suggests that. Who cares anyway, it's wonderful!

PAULETTE REAVES - "Let Me Wrap You In My Love" (BLUE CANDLE) 1977

Written and originally recorded by Snoopy Dean of "Shake And Bump" fame, and later by David Hudson on Alston. I like the song a lot. Snoopy Dean recording probably has the edge, but I just prefer Paulette's rap on this. Official A-Side was a Dave Godin Deep Soul tip once.

MIKE & BILL - "Where Do I Stand" (YORK) 1976

Zippy 70's dancer very much in the style of their Moving Up/Arista sides. Got very little attention as a new release in 1976, then zilch until fairly recently. May yet go bigger, who knows?

BARBARA JEAN ENGLISH - "If This Is Love" (ROYAL FLUSH) 1976

Both sides of this record sound remarkably similar - despite being ostensibly different songs! Worthwhile though if you like Seventies dancers. Nice vocals of course.

RAY MARCO - "A Man And His Woman (Togetherness)" (MOON SOUL) C.1978-80

Confession. I bought this record (cheap) from a record fair in the early 80's - mainly because of it's fabulous looking label, (which is reminiscent of the Delfonics' on Moon Shot) - but also because it was written by the sometimes great, though often erratic, Clarence Reid- along with Lavarn Dozier. The official A-Side "La, La, La, La" (Clarence Reid and Willie Clarke) is as bad as it sounds, or even worse(!) But the flipside has been a must on my personal "ballad tapes" for over 20 years! The lyric confesses a familiar story of how men and women are incomplete without each other, however the sassy female backing singers punctuate the song throughout with short and soulful exclamations of "Ow-ww!", which is worth hearing in itself! Imagine then, when rummaging through a box of junk albums at a local market, I discovered a sealed 12" copy of this! - and with an extra spoken verse too! Good stuff!

CONTROLLERS - "I Gambled On Your Love And Lost" (JUANA) 1980

Revered for the tremendous ballad "Somebody's Gotta Win...", this is one of their better dancers before they signed with MCA. Got a little attention as a new release, but not much since. Time for a revival perhaps?

FIRESIGN - "Sweet Sounds Of Memphis" (THIRDSTONE) 2707 1976

Quite weird recording that sounds nothing like the Memphis tribute the title suggests! Instead you get a shuffling, semi-Jazz/Funk instrumental that spills over to side two. Nice though.

REGINA JAMES - "My Man Is Coming Home" (REID'S WORLD) 90004

Well... Sex in it's most blatent recorded form. A little too near the knuckle lyrically, even for me! I prefer SOME subtlety occasionally! Even her name... well, let's not go there, shall we...?

FRED MUNNINGS - "Song Of Songs" (ELECTRIC CAT)

Dunno what to say about this one, as I can't decide whether I like it or not(!), but it's Miami...

(Note: Reviews are done from memory in most cases, as much of my (meagre) record collection is currently in storage...!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Karamba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Philly AND a Florida 70's thread going at the same time - me head's going to explode :thumbsup:

Do like Rumpus - more of a disco/soul dancer and not a lot of rock in there imho!

Ockers'll be along in a minute cos his avatar is Rumpus :D

Right, 70's Detroit........................only joking - got enough on our plates at the mo'

Cheers

Steve

Rumpus is fantastic although wish there were a tom moulton extended 12" of this where that wonderful piano kicks in...tremendous stuff :thumbsup:

wish i had the j p robinson..........awesome.........

:D

Social source share

Heres a few...!!

NATE CALHOUN - "Have Some Of Me" (GLADES) 1980

Fantastic ballad. One of the best of it's time I reckon. Buy it and see!

LATIMORE - "We Got To Hit It Off" (GLADES) 1981

Love the haunting rhythm track to this midtempo item. A side that could easily get belated dancefloor attention.

LATIMORE - "Just One Step" (GLADES)

As above, a midtempo mover quite worthy of spins. Issued here on President.

LATIMORE - "Take Me To The Mountain Top" (GLADES)

Not a dancer but another one of his great ballads. Superb soul. 12" version clocks @ 4:29 mins

TIMMY THOMAS - "What's Bothering Me" (CLIMAX) CRS-22001 1970

Wild! Very tight and sassy produuction on this, Timmy's first recording. Again, associations with Blackpool Mecca colour my memories of this side very much in it's favour! Great!

"Better watch out 'cos here we come.

Stop and listen before you run.

The two-fingered sign, doesn't mean we dig crime,

- it means PEACE!"

JOEY GILMORE - "Give Me Your Love" (BLUE CANDLE)

Veteran R&B man sounds remarkably like Bobby Womack to begin with, before settling down into a nice shuffling ballad with a pleasant hookline which you catch yourself humming days later. Well worth having.

TERRY WEIS - "Keep On Pushing Your Love" (PLATINUM) 1976

Perhaps one of the most memorable and novel intros I've ever heard on a Seventies tune, with a fantastic wah-wah rhythm track and a cute melody too, this is one of those sides that were adopted as Mecca "archetypes", simply because almost everyone I knew that went to the Highland Room bought them! Heavily imported at the time (C.February 1976), but almost forgotten today(?) I'd LOVE to hear sides as distinctive as this played out nowadays! Singer has a very mellow and laid-back voice and is possibly white, but perhaps just his name suggests that. Who cares anyway, it's wonderful!

PAULETTE REAVES - "Let Me Wrap You In My Love" (BLUE CANDLE) 1977

Written and originally recorded by Snoopy Dean of "Shake And Bump" fame, and later by David Hudson on Alston. I like the song a lot. Snoopy Dean recording probably has the edge, but I just prefer Paulette's rap on this. Official A-Side was a Dave Godin Deep Soul tip once.

MIKE & BILL - "Where Do I Stand" (YORK) 1976

Zippy 70's dancer very much in the style of their Moving Up/Arista sides. Got very little attention as a new release in 1976, then zilch until fairly recently. May yet go bigger, who knows?

BARBARA JEAN ENGLISH - "If This Is Love" (ROYAL FLUSH) 1976

Both sides of this record sound remarkably similar - despite being ostensibly different songs! Worthwhile though if you like Seventies dancers. Nice vocals of course.

RAY MARCO - "A Man And His Woman (Togetherness)" (MOON SOUL) C.1978-80

Confession. I bought this record (cheap) from a record fair in the early 80's - mainly because of it's fabulous looking label, (which is reminiscent of the Delfonics' on Moon Shot) - but also because it was written by the sometimes great, though often erratic, Clarence Reid- along with Lavarn Dozier. The official A-Side "La, La, La, La" (Clarence Reid and Willie Clarke) is as bad as it sounds, or even worse(!) But the flipside has been a must on my personal "ballad tapes" for over 20 years! The lyric confesses a familiar story of how men and women are incomplete without each other, however the sassy female backing singers punctuate the song throughout with short and soulful exclamations of "Ow-ww!", which is worth hearing in itself! Imagine then, when rummaging through a box of junk albums at a local market, I discovered a sealed 12" copy of this! - and with an extra spoken verse too! Good stuff!

CONTROLLERS - "I Gambled On Your Love And Lost" (JUANA) 1980

Revered for the tremendous ballad "Somebody's Gotta Win...", this is one of their better dancers before they signed with MCA. Got a little attention as a new release, but not much since. Time for a revival perhaps?

FIRESIGN - "Sweet Sounds Of Memphis" (THIRDSTONE) 2707 1976

Quite weird recording that sounds nothing like the Memphis tribute the title suggests! Instead you get a shuffling, semi-Jazz/Funk instrumental that spills over to side two. Nice though.

REGINA JAMES - "My Man Is Coming Home" (REID'S WORLD) 90004

Well... Sex in it's most blatent recorded form. A little too near the knuckle lyrically, even for me! I prefer SOME subtlety occasionally! Even her name... well, let's not go there, shall we...?

FRED MUNNINGS - "Song Of Songs" (ELECTRIC CAT)

Dunno what to say about this one, as I can't decide whether I like it or not(!), but it's Miami...

(Note: Reviews are done from memory in most cases, as much of my (meagre) record collection is currently in storage...!)

mel thank you for pointing out terry weiss a great £3 cheapie and a wonderful record ive been trying to tip that one around having heard it in my local shop last year

wonderful dreamy 70ss

love your description spot on

good shout!!!!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Rumpus is fantastic although wish there were a tom moulton extended 12" of this where that wonderful piano kicks in...tremendous stuff :shades:

wish i had the j p robinson..........awesome.........

:wicked:

I've waited 30 years to hear someone say; "Rumpus is fantastic!"

I agree! :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm now beginning to wonder if they'll someday turn up under a different name perhaps?! Surely they're too good to have only made this one recording? Maybe Harry Casey (of K.C. & Sunshine Band) would know who they were?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Come On With It - lew kirton - marlin

14203 refosoul

One of the best 70's records IMHO. One of Henry's labels and distributed by TK.

Ha, I just played this last night as an ender. Thought it would be a bit too sleezy for most, but they all danced! cool.gif His voice is very powerful I must say.

Also like that George McCrae - 'Take it all off' posted earlier. :D

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 2 2007, 09:45 PM) link
storm she comes up pi kappa is this not a tk one

never realised brand new was tk distribution i got lucky with that one £100 about 3 years ago

always like the bluenotes standing by you girl bought as a new release

mark

....Originally done by First Class b.t.w

More mentions for the DASH label -

Latimore

Ann Sexton

Jeanette Holloway

Wildflower

all fabulous.

Betty Wright - loads on Alston, Charles Johnson anyone - the B side is great!!!

Glades anyone mentioned Otis Clay "Special kind of love"?, or Timmy Thomas (Ebony affair, It's what they can't see etc) and true Image (again)

Juana I'd also give a worthy mention to Fred Knight "When it ain't right with my baby" - 0ccasional Yarmouth spin,

Blues time in Birmingham Frankie Sanders, and of course old C L Blast.

Blue Candle anyone mentioned Robert Moore "Tears of the world" - gr8 x-over!

I am sure I can dig out 100s more, as I am a bit of a Miami label freak but that's enough for now...

Steve

Social source share

Take it all off - george mccrae - blue candle

14201 refosoul

would this be the local release....Soul City being West Coast?..

Didn't know that it existed on Blue Candle. I always thought it being released on Soul City was a bit strange. Superb tune! :huh: Here's the Soul City release:

post-1392-1170607427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert