Guest kevnewry

• Replies 75
  • Views 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyone from shropshire remember BILLY GOWER.......

Christ , a name from the past there, Billy had loads of soul 45s off me donkey years ago and I've heard loads of sound being played out now that he had then.

still have a tape knocking around somewhere the he and Belinda did for me, must dig it out

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Allright Shute

I used to go see billy and belinda a lot when they lived in craven arms

last I heard from belinda was when I got an invite to her wedding to a member of THE S.A.S. down in hereford.

Last time I saw billy was years ago at Keele and when we went back to Neil Clowes in burslem.

mel

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Was just wondering is there any soulies out there from Telford,who used to be about circa 1977-1981.. Kev :thumbsup:

You would not be Kevin O'Boyle, by any chance?

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

You would not be Kevin O'Boyle, by any chance?

I am indeed :thumbsup: I thought your name looked familiar, are you the same Chris Waterman who came with your mates on the bus to wigan with us :D

Kev.

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

I am indeed :thumbsup: I thought your name looked familiar, are you the same Chris Waterman who came with your mates on the bus to wigan with us :D

Kev.

Hi Kev

yes that's me, the same one who had your membership taken from him by Hilda and got a swift kick up the arse by the doorman only to spend the rest of the night sitting on the bus wallowing in self pity, got to be 25 years since I last saw you, I did ask Liam if he ever came across you in Belfast a couple of years back, That bus would have had Tony McNally, Jimmy Macguire, Derm, Tim Everett, Froggy etc etc, on it.

Chris W

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Hi Kev

yes that's me, the same one who had your membership taken from him by Hilda and got a swift kick up the arse by the doorman only to spend the rest of the night sitting on the bus wallowing in self pity, got to be 25 years since I last saw you, I did ask Liam if he ever came across you in Belfast a couple of years back, That bus would have had Tony McNally, Jimmy Macguire, Derm, Tim Everett, Froggy etc etc, on it.

Chris W

Jesus wee Chris from Carrick!!!! How the hell are ya, didnt wanna say too much it case it wasnt you. Thats the bus alrite youve a better memory than me. What you doing with yourself, ive just got back into all this madness again after a long break, didnt know there was a Northern scene here untill last October, Liam Quinn knows his stuff for being a young fella. Did you know Jimmy Maguires dead and Tony has cancer..

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Abit of general info

Anne Levy ne Cardelle as far as in aware is still in the area

Tim Everitt lives in the north west but is still active

Aint got a clue what happened to Ian the Barber last saw him 5/6 years ago

Did hear some time ago bad news about Jimmy Maguire but it was never confirmed so im not sure

as for Tina...Tony Mcnally....Sully....i havent seen them since the 80's

Remember the Madley Court Centre all dayers

Do see Mr and Mrs Phil Taylor now and again but aint seen Derm for ages

hope thats of help....harpo

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Abit of general info

Did hear some time ago bad news about Jimmy Maguire but it was never confirmed so im not sure

Remember one alldayer at the M.E.R.C Tony McNally won the dancing competiton.

I left Telford in 82 so must have missed quite a bit,Tony is living back in Belfast and i see him now and again,Ann Levy must have married Ian Carvelle then.Memory aint what it was but is that the same Phil Taylor who did a bit of djing... Thanks for the response Harpo....... Kev :D

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Abit of general info

Hi, trying to contact Ann Levy, now Carvelle & Ian, last seen 88/89 ! Anyone still in touch or any info.

Thanks soulies, Ray from Sussex

Social source share

Remember one alldayer at the M.E.R.C Tony McNally won the dancing competiton.

I left Telford in 82 so must have missed quite a bit,Tony is living back in Belfast and i see him now and again,Ann Levy must have married Ian Carvelle then.Memory aint what it was but is that the same Phil Taylor who did a bit of djing... Thanks for the response Harpo....... Kev :thumbsup:

I Left Telford in 1990 now living in Newcastle upon tyne

MERC Alldayers was my 1st ever Alldayer oh happy Days :thumbup:

now i also went on the bus to wigan chris kelly used to run them

i also heard the sad news about jimmy only a couple of weeks ago from Tim. i used to bump into Tom Yeomans reg as he was living in Middlebrough but have not seen him for a couple of years seams to have disapeard off the planet lets see if you remember this name

Jock :lol:

Social source share

Guest 18miles

Hi All,

Just mooching through the threads and found this! Bought back loads of memories and smiles!!

Anyone remember Hills Lane Social Club, great nights and introduced me to loads of sounds.Pep used to bring some great new stuff over. The Merc was another of the venues in the area that made Telford a busy scene at the time.

My first dayer was in Wellington at the place at the back of the station, the townhouse?(just opened last week as a lap dancing club). the dayer was put on by Mick Edwards, who still only looks 30 and Mitch Higginson?

Then there was the Sunday Soul Night in the cellar at the Townhouse.Being a young lad from Shifnal thats where I met Derm and Pauline, Mick, Mitch, Tim Everitt, Ian Jones and Pauline,Tracey Bishop? Kiddo, Swaz, Steve Tudor, Steve Hughes and Nick Canetta??

The Sunday soul nights then moved on to the Ketley Rec. It was finally knocked down a couple of months ago.

The scene expanded and there were the coach trips up to Wigan run by Chris.

Remember well, the Madeley crowd who I met up with as I was going out with a girl from Madeley who I later married. Derm announced the engagement at a Merc All-dayer and played "love bandit"

Thats where got to Know,Ian Carvell, Tony Mcguire, Tony McNally and Ian who had the flat above the shops in Madeley.

Still bump into a few of the old faces in and around Telford and occasionally at Goodyears or Blackburn and still like to keep in touch with the scene via sites like these.

Kev

Social source share

Hi All,

Just mooching through the threads and found this! Bought back loads of memories and smiles!!

Anyone remember Hills Lane Social Club, great nights and introduced me to loads of sounds.Pep used to bring some great new stuff over. The Merc was another of the venues in the area that made Telford a busy scene at the time.

My first dayer was in Wellington at the place at the back of the station, the townhouse?(just opened last week as a lap dancing club). the dayer was put on by Mick Edwards, who still only looks 30 and Mitch Higginson?

Then there was the Sunday Soul Night in the cellar at the Townhouse.Being a young lad from Shifnal thats where I met Derm and Pauline, Mick, Mitch, Tim Everitt, Ian Jones and Pauline,Tracey Bishop? Kiddo, Swaz, Steve Tudor, Steve Hughes and Nick Canetta??

The Sunday soul nights then moved on to the Ketley Rec. It was finally knocked down a couple of months ago.

Remember well, the Madeley crowd who I met up with as I was going out with a girl from Madeley who I later married. Derm announced the engagement at a Merc All-dayer and played "love bandit"

Thats where got to Know,Ian Carvell, Tony Mcguire, Tony McNally and Ian who had the flat above the shops in Madeley.

Still bump into a few of the old faces in and around Telford and occasionally at Goodyears or Blackburn and still like to keep in touch with the scene via sites like these.

Kev

i do was a regular still got the membership :huh:

Jock

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, trying to contact Ann Levy, now Carvelle & Ian, last seen 88/89 ! Anyone still in touch or any info.

Thanks soulies, Ray from Sussex

Hi Mark Jones from Shrews here, I put the do's on at Lord Hill on occasion, haven't seen Anne for a bit but still kicking about so her sister tells me, apparently it's her 50th soon (oops is it rude to give a lady's age away these days) she's apparently have a party at madeley court...I'm still waiting for the invite!

Still see Phil Taylor at the occasional do I go to.

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Hi Mark Jones from Shrews here, I put the do's on at Lord Hill on occasion, haven't seen Anne for a bit but still kicking about so her sister tells me, apparently it's her 50th soon (oops is it rude to give a lady's age away these days) she's apparently have a party at madeley court...I'm still waiting for the invite!

Still see Phil Taylor at the occasional do I go to.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply/info, the big 50 was just one reason been trying to make contact. Would be pleased to hear if she turns up sometime/somewhere. Hope you get your invite soon. Regards.

Social source share

Although I originate from Wednesfield Wolverhampton I do now live in Telford.

I was also in Telford for some of the time period talked about.

Came over around late 79 when mom left Dad so for a while I lived both places. Was working at Greenhous Telford and had been travelling to various Soul events (including Wigan) mostly on my own until one girl realised what I was doing and started to scrounge a lift with a few of her mates. Can't remember anyone's name unfortunately, I know she lived not far from Finger Road Garage Dawley. I used to collect and drop people off various places including, Sutton Hill, Woodside and Madeley.

Should anyone remember grabbing a lift in a clapped out Viva with a lunatic driver chances are that was me.

I don't usually admit to being around Telford at the end of Wigan because I refused to go to the very last one - after going and being told it wasn't really the end I thought they were taking the P so didn't go to the real last night, hence I guess the people hoping for a lift may not have made it there because of me. Hope enough water has gone under the bridge and I am forgiven :sleep3:

After '81 wink.gif Also remember a few people grabbing lifts back from the Top Of The World - funny I seem to recollect giving more people lifts back than I took - must have made their own way there and jumped in with mates on the way back. All a long time ago now. After that I travelled around pretty much on my own since my wife wasn't into Northern and wasn't happy about me being an unpaid taxi - never mind the crazy hours I was away :rolleyes:

Social source share

im looking for a mate that i used to hang about with i know he has moved to cheshire somewhere his name is Gary wibberly (Wib) used to live on woodside we used to go all over the place anyone from Telford know where abouts he moved to would be greatful (this is a stab in the dark on this un)

Jock

Social source share

Know the following from shropshire/wolvo area on the scene still----mostly

chic / ricey /pete best /garry powell /joy and phil /len cook /barbara haftkowysz sadly Tony (TC) died

spook and janice/esher /derm/maurice/pep lives in wales last i heard/kenny onions/max/harpo/jeff

paul everton/john pugh/scotty/les hall/brian chigley/loopy who remembers her

-------loads more

used to d.j for both tony pethabridge and chris burton in the 70s

regularly @ whitchurch civic all dayers-raven-shrewsbury tiffs

happy days

keith from crewe

post-2541-1190306685_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Phil Richards

Hi All,

Kev

I was resident for Pep at a club in Telford just can't remmber the name of it now must have been about 76-77 i think,there was a big following for northern soul over there we had some good times :unsure:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest sullytelford

Just sent you a pm Ray. Ann's sent me her email address.

Enjoy catching up!

hi this is sully from telford just been reading articles like to say a big hello to harpo and kev still listening to the sounds : never forget the memories :lol:

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Hi Sully, i was only talkin 'bout you asnd the old crowd to Nik on friday

Hows life mate....what you up to

Do you see anyone from "time" ?????

p.harpin@btopenworld.com

keep in touch

all the best Sandi n Harpo

hi this is sully from telford just been reading articles like to say a big hello to harpo and kev still listening to the sounds : never forget the memories :thumbsup:
Social source share

Guest kevnewry

hi this is sully from telford just been reading articles like to say a big hello to harpo and kev still listening to the sounds : never forget the memories :no:

Chris get in touch mate,how the hell are ya... you still living in Telford. Kev :(

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Hi All,

Kev

HILLS LANE THERES A BLAST FROM THE PAST SOME GREATNIGHTS. REMEMBER THAT ALL DAYER IN WELLINGTON TOO THINK THAT WAS MY FIRST :( Kev

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

hi this is sully from telford just been reading articles like to say a big hello to harpo and kev still listening to the sounds : never forget the memories :P

JUST REMEMBERED THIS.... YOU USED TO HAVE GEOGRAPHY BOOK WITH MAJOR LANCE WRITTEN ALL OVER IT... I ASKED WHO THE FOOK IS MAJOR LANCE.. THAT WAS MY INTRODUCTION TO NORTHERN SOUL WE MUST HAVE BEEN 14... YOUR TO BLAME O'SULLIVAN :thumbsup: . Kev O'Boyle.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sullytelford

JUST REMEMBERED THIS.... YOU USED TO HAVE GEOGRAPHY BOOK WITH MAJOR LANCE WRITTEN ALL OVER IT... I ASKED WHO THE FOOK IS MAJOR LANCE.. THAT WAS MY INTRODUCTION TO NORTHERN SOUL WE MUST HAVE BEEN 14... YOUR TO BLAME O'SULLIVAN :thumbsup: . Kev O'Boyle.

kev allright mate i take the blame but i remeber you running not being dragged into the scene how the hell are you we had some mega times and we are here still with alot of good memories you okeh mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

There's Paul Harper and Jacquie; as well as Mike and Jan McNulty from theTelford area who regularly come to Broughton.

Great people and well into their soul music.

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

kev allright mate i take the blame but i remeber you running not being dragged into the scene how the hell are you we had some mega times and we are here still with alot of good memories you okeh mate :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you Sully old mate. Married with 5 kids well eldest is 20 youngest is 9. What about you. Jesus we had some fantastic times Chris. Im still going to as many do's as i can get to, got our own wee Soul club over here and one in Dublin.

Are you still going out to do's, if my memory's correct you used to have one hell of a record collection which you used to play for me when we bunked off school :no: .

I'll pm you with my mobile number and hopefully we can meet up at some niter somewhere!!!!!

You keep in touch Chris............ ALL THE BEST KEV :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 18miles

Hiya Sully, are you still in Ketley? Im up the hill in Red lake, pm me and we can meet up at the elephant ?

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

kev allright mate i take the blame but i remeber you running not being dragged into the scene how the hell are you we had some mega times and we are here still with alot of good memories you okeh mate :huh:

REMEMBER GOING TO SHREWSBURY TO BUY DONKEY JACKETS.... :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Just browsing through this thread, I remember going to an all nighter on several occasions at a place near Wellington station called The Gemini Club ( at least that's what the badge on the inside lid of my record box says), I think one of the DJ's may have been called Mitch. I knew a girl from Madeley/Dawley called Liz, but she seemed to hang around with a crowd from Wednesbury/West Bromwich who I knew quite well, some of the names: Chris(never knew his surname), Joy, Kim, Cliff(who seemed to be about ten feet tall, liked a dance and when he clapped it was like a crack of thunder!). I was a shy type so never really went round talking to folks, but I remember the first few of the nights at the Wellington club were well attended but then fell dramatically, I think the last one I went to there were about ten people and the DJ fell asleep at the decks!!!

Social source share

Guest 18miles

Just browsing through this thread, I remember going to an all nighter on several occasions at a place near Wellington station called The Gemini Club ( at least that's what the badge on the inside lid of my record box says), I think one of the DJ's may have been called Mitch. I knew a girl from Madeley/Dawley called Liz, but she seemed to hang around with a crowd from Wednesbury/West Bromwich who I knew quite well, some of the names: Chris(never knew his surname), Joy, Kim, Cliff(who seemed to be about ten feet tall, liked a dance and when he clapped it was like a crack of thunder!). I was a shy type so never really went round talking to folks, but I remember the first few of the nights at the Wellington club were well attended but then fell dramatically, I think the last one I went to there were about ten people and the DJ fell asleep at the decks!!!

Went to the Gemini club a fair bit myself, eventually changed from a Northern night into a jazz funk night ran by some lads from Shrewsbury I think??

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know dave brown he lives in telford,not sure if he hails from there though

Hiya, l know a Dave Brown, he's in his 40's, aint gonna hazard a guess just how old in case l'm wrong and he thumps me :thumbsup:

He moves about a bit but still lives in Telford as far as l know, l have'nt seen him since last Kings Hall Stoke, l can email him and hope he answers if you like, but he's your typical single male :D

He used to be a Green Jackets in the army if that helps you in identifying that he's the Dave your looking for

Sandi x

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

Hiya, l know a Dave Brown, he's in his 40's, aint gonna hazard a guess just how old in case l'm wrong and he thumps me boxing.gif

He moves about a bit but still lives in Telford as far as l know, l have'nt seen him since last Kings Hall Stoke, l can email him and hope he answers if you like, but he's your typical single male :rolleyes:

He used to be a Green Jackets in the army if that helps you in identifying that he's the Dave your looking for

Sandi x

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

TELFORD SOUL CLUB @ St GEORGES SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB. CHURCH ROAD. St GEORGES. TELFORD.SHROPSHIRE.TF2 9LU. ACROSS THE BOARD MUSIC POLICY.GREAT WOODEN FLOOR.GREAT BAR PRICES.GOOD SOUND SYSTEM. 7 TIL 12 £5 OTD. KEEPING THE FAITH IN TELFORD. CALL ROBBO 07791567483 FOR DETAILS

This was the place to be seen circa '71 t0 73' - Sunday nights with Phil + 2 (Phil - Calla - Callaghan) with occasional guest spots from Funky Velvet aka Tiv & Dave. Always packed with Torchite regulars!! Eventually closed down due to the fighting amongst the norms.

Phil went on to run the regular weekly nights at the Seven Stars in Ketley.

Good to see a revival at what was a fantastic little venue.

Keep The Faith & Keep On Keeping On.

Tiv

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest click.stfu

im looking for a mate that i used to hang about with i know he has moved to cheshire somewhere his name is Gary wibberly (Wib) used to live on woodside we used to go all over the place anyone from Telford know where abouts he moved to would be greatful (this is a stab in the dark on this un)

Jock

Heya Jock,

Breaker Breaker one-four calling The Storekeeper :thumbsup:

Hope ya okies - Haven't seen Wib for about 5 years, gave him a lift back from Madeley to where he woz living on Woodside at the time, didn't realise he'd moved :(

Anyways, catch ya later chap, have a good one...

Doug

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert