Pick A Track From A Kent Album

Guest Simon

Anyboody else like myself ever just pull a random Kent album off your shelf & give it a spin & think to yourself why don't i hear this out at a venue nowadays?

I'll start you off with: Booker T. Averhart & the Mustangs - Take your shoes off (Part 2) @ For dancers also

C'mon let's hear your suggestions for tracks from Kent albums that you'd like to hear out there in club world.

Simon

Edited by Simon
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've just started to play Lee Charles - "If That Ain't Loving You" in my sets which seems to go down well....

It's on "Hot Chills & Cold Thrills" - KENT 023.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Anyboody else like myself ever just pull a random Kent album off your shelf & give it a spin & think to yourself why don't i hear this out at a venue nowadays?

Simon

I'd like to hear 'Put yourself in my place' - Maxine Brown played out.

Social source share

BARBARA GEORGE I CAN'T STAND IT {ICAN'T TAKE NO MORE} ALSO ON THE FOR DANCERS ONLY.

CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A 45 ,IS IT LP OR UNRELEASED , ANYONE?

It's on a relatively easy to find US Kent single but wait until you hear the new version we've just found called 'Queen Of Fools' I'm playing it for the first time at the Rocket on Saturday.

Edited by ady croasdell
Social source share

BARBARA GEORGE I CAN'T STAND IT {ICAN'T TAKE NO MORE} ALSO ON THE FOR DANCERS ONLY.

CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A 45 ,IS IT LP OR UNRELEASED , ANYONE?

It's Brenda George: quite a tough single to find, but shouldn't be mega expensive. Very good record, IMHO.

The track that I keep going back to from old Kent lps that is unreleased and I've never heard out is Mr Lee & The Cherokees "My Best Friends Girl" from the Sure Shots album: a beautiful downbeat harmony record that I'm sure would sound wonderful on a big sound system.

I've said on here before that I think the Kent label was probably as influential as any single deejay from the time of its inception in the eighties in terms of bringing new converts into the fold: particularly people from Europe and the States. Many friends from around the world have tons of Kent lps and cite them as an inspiring influence in their love of rare soul at a time when getting on a cheap flight to go to a nighter in the UK was not really an option, particularly for teenagers.

Making tracks like Torture or The Magic Touch available to the paying public at the time they were big sounds probably went a big way towards nurturing and sustaining interest in Northern Soul in the days after mainstream media interest had moved on.

Social source share

For me it would be 'You Hit Me' Alice Clark of the Kent Spinetinglers album

Still quite like Babara Lewis 'Still remember the feeling' of the Heartstoppers lp.

Treggy

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

So did Cassius Clay aka Muhammad Ali who is arguably the most influential & inspirational figure of the last century so it can't be that bad a religeon!

Simon :)

You can't lose something that you never had - Chubby Checker alias Wade Flemons alias Jimmy Radcliffe depending on who you talk to.

I've only managed to get it by Bruce Scott.

Think it's on a Kent LP - might just be on a Horaces 45?

Anyway whatever it's on, I wan tha' one

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

I nominate Laverne Baker "I'm gonna get you" from "No no no no no not my girl" KENT069, and perhaps the very next track, Judy Clay's "Upset my heart". I know the latter got advance play from Guy Hennigan via one of those "Trident" acetates and was released again on Big City Soul Vol 4 (Goldmine CD), but Laverne is the lurvely subtle sleeper for my money!

Kent for quality, care and musical integrity!

Social source share

Totally agree with this one Gareth. Great bubbling base line, just grooves along.

It's Brenda George: quite a tough single to find, but shouldn't be mega expensive. Very good record, IMHO.

The track that I keep going back to from old Kent lps that is unreleased and I've never heard out is Mr Lee & The Cherokees "My Best Friends Girl" from the Sure Shots album: a beautiful downbeat harmony record that I'm sure would sound wonderful on a big sound system.

I've said on here before that I think the Kent label was probably as influential as any single deejay from the time of its inception in the eighties in terms of bringing new converts into the fold: particularly people from Europe and the States. Many friends from around the world have tons of Kent lps and cite them as an inspiring influence in their love of rare soul at a time when getting on a cheap flight to go to a nighter in the UK was not really an option, particularly for teenagers.

Making tracks like Torture or The Magic Touch available to the paying public at the time they were big sounds probably went a big way towards nurturing and sustaining interest in Northern Soul in the days after mainstream media interest had moved on.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert